Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They filmed maximum overdrive not far from here and drive by it often.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
In the beginning of The Dark Knight, the robbers zipline from an office building on to the roof of the bank.

I worked in that office building for several years.

Also, some scenes in an episode of Chicago PD were shot within walking distance of my house.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The Superman movie Man of Steel was filmed in my area. The farmhouse and cemetery scene locations are just down the street from where I live.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Golden Cherry Motel in Opelika, AL - parts of Norma Rae were shot there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Came here to post Mansfield State Penitentiary

Shawshank was the big one of course, plus scenes from Air Force One and Tango and Cash were filmed here. Godsmack filmed a music video Herr also.

Godsmack - Awake (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By morning_would:
Yes, quite a bit. I work in Albuquerque so a ton of different stuff has been shot all around my office. Sicario and breaking bad are probably the most famous though. This is where Netflix home base is as well. See a ton of shoots going around town all the time.
View Quote

I operated land and facilities in NM where movie people all wanted to shoot films.  It had interesting topography, good location, unique buildings.  At first, I entertained the idea.  It might be a low impact way to generate some income.  However...........

Those movie people were the worst people I have ever dealt with.  And I have worked with a lot of different people in a lot of different industries.  These were far and away the worst.

The location scout would come take a look.  About half of them were OK.  Then they would fly in the film people.  From LA or NY.  The producers/directors had that insufferable combination of ignorance/ineptitude and very high self esteem.  They were just awful.  I can't explain how aweful they were.  But no one would voluntarily be around them.

Example.  I ran an operation with about 10 employees and depending on the day, somewhere between 1 and 50 contractors.  There was a lot going on.  And a lot of it was high stakes, expensive and dangerous.  It was difficult to schedule in these retched people, but I tried.  One day, I had a film crew scheduled at 10 am.  I worked some things around, had some work done to make their project go better, moved my schedule to be there, etc.  Normal accommodations.  10 came and went.  I called about 11 and asked if they had gotten lost.  We were out of town on narrow roads.  No, they said.  They said they had decided to come sometime in the afternoon.  Obviously I told them not to come at all.  Then came the crying about flying in from LA or wherever and how important they were.  LOL.

The end.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been to both Paris and San Francisco, so that covers an awful lot of famous movies.

Bullitt, Dirty Harry, and Gigi, to start with.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Stayed a week or two at some mom & pop hotel in Illinios that was used in an Eddie Murphy/Steve Martin comedy.

Don't remember the name of the hotel or movie, so probably not very famous, but that's all I got.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to visit the abandoned turnpike in PA where scenes from The Road were filmed. It's open to hiking, biking, etc. Haven't been there yet though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Since Barry Levinson is somewhat local, there are places in Diner and Liberty Heights that I've visited just by coincidence.  Also, having lived in Maine for a few years, I'm sure I must have visited the locations of some Stephen King movies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ShortyAK:
Many times in different parts of L.A. and San Diego. Also off-roading in the SoCal deserts has put me on locations of countless car/truck commercials.
View Quote

Growing up in that area was ridiculous for that.  I remember the first time I visitted the south in the 80's and was shocked they were watching the same shows I was watching.   As a child I just assumed everywhere people lived they watched TV shows and movies made around the area they were growing up.  Silly kids!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmxterra] [#14]
Welcome to Jurassic Park

Rented a jeep and drove to the spot where they drove through the gates in the first movie.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been to the bar in San Diego where they filmed the scene in the original Top Gun movie singing to Kelly McGillis "You've lost that Lovin' feeling".
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Growing up in the low country of SC, yes.  Went over the old Cooper River Bridge many times where they filmed the car or SUV going over the side of it in Die Hard with a Vengeance.
Valley of Fire in Nevada.  Lots of films done there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:33:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#17]
It would be hard to walk around the DC Mall without crossing a spot where a scene from a movie was made.

Part of Antoine Fisher was filmed on my last ship.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much every scene in this movie, including the swimming hole which I'm not allowed to post, lol. I got to see some of the shoots for The Hot Spot and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Attachment Attached File

I grew up in and around Travis and Williamson Counties, which have been featured in a ton of movies even when not counting Austin itself. Lots of historic downtown areas which made for good scenery in the 80s and 90s. Blood Simple hits me with massive nostalgia every time I see the scenes around Hutto.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I lived in Las Vegas New Mexico for almost 20 years so a bunch of movies and tv shows. There was always some big star wondering around or drunk in a bar and half the town was always shut down for some filming of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I worked a block away from the “bank” where the main shootout from “Heat” was filmed.

Living in L.A. there are scenes everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad lives near Smithville Texas where Hope Floats with Sandra Bullock was filmed. I've been in pretty much every film location and know where her character's mother's house is.

Fun fact, Sandra Bullock helped get the hospital built in Smithville where my uncle was diagnosed with cancer. The doctors there got him the treatment he needed to give him more time with us.

My uncle is also an extra in the Transformers movie with Mark Whalberg. He was the old man that jumped up on the Bingo table when the cars drove through the building.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Much of the Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed in St. Vincent.  The fort scenes were taken in Fort Charlotte which is much smaller than the movie makes it.  They did a good job framing the shots to build it up.

Most of the cannons also face inwards instead of seawards.  They were very concerned with Carib uprisings at the time of construction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I have jumped off the Jaws bridge in Martha's Vineyard
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#25]
And they filmed this in its entirety in my little town.
Wife and I along with my truck are in it as well, after they left the town marshal reopened the store as a coffee shop, all us locals would gather every morning for coffee and gossip.
The movie theater burned down a few years later.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Visited Eastern State Penitentiary where they filmed part of 12 Monkeys
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Truman show town.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Who remembers the movie Casey’s Shadow with Walter Matthau?  The house and land that was their home in the movie was a few miles from my childhood home.  I’d drive by there every couple weeks on a country cruise.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Earlier this month
Attachment Attached File

Stayed at the Hyatt on Grand Cayman on our honeymoon.  Same hotel that was used a few years later in the Tom Cruise movie The Firm.  It is no longer there due to a hurricane.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
I live in the town where they filmed Twin Peaks.
View Quote
I've been to Dirtfish a bunch to drive, a lot of twin peaks was filmed there and the blazer sits in the parking lot. Fans of the show come by everyday to see it and take pictures of it. There even a guy who takes them on twin peaks tours.

I've also been to the spot where the filmed the mud scene in Predator, it's a popular restaurant in Puerto Vallarta.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]

There’s a good chance I’m drinkin in the bar in that last picture or eating at the Spic & Span. I had a small auto shop across the street in the big lot. That’s if that picture was taken 3+ years ago.  That blue outback is my buddy’s gf’s car.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Several, but the most unusual was while traveling through N Texas we decided to stop in Claude TX at a small museum dedicated to the JA (Goodnight) Ranch. The town looked familiar, like we'd been there. The 1962 movie Hud starring Paul Newman was filmed there. We watch that movie ~ once a year so we're pretty familiar with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Gettysburg.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Been to Mt. Rushmore where National Treasure was filmed. Then went to the lake where Nicholas Cage stuck his hand in the rock to open up the passage the underground city
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#35]
If you go for a trip on the Durango and silverton RR, the tour guide in the car will tell you about where scenes from Butch Cassidy and rhe Sundance kid were filmed along the railroad

I am sure there have been many others
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Being a divorced dad I’d get my daughter for weekend visits and summer vacations.  I’d take her places and try to have theme, so she would also learn something.  I used movies a few times and we’d go find the filming locations.  We went to Philadelphia and found the locations for National Treasure.  I live in NoVA at the time so, we continued there , mixing in all the monuments.  When we went to San Francisco one year, we found all the places in Vertigo and Escape from Alcatraz.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
One of the National Lampoons Vacation movies with Chevy Chase. It’s the movie that kinda starts out where he’s upset because every day when the mailman drives by the mail truck is smoking and backfiring. He drives around in this little convertible car.

There’s a scene in the movie where he drives down the ramp into the Brownsville Dam swimming area in VT.

I saw the movie once back when I was a kid. Forgot all about the movie. Went swimming while on a family vacation at the Brownsville Dam. I got Deja Vu when walking out of the water and looking up at the driveway ramp.

About a week after returning home we sat down with the kids to watch that movie. Paused the movie to explain the connection to the kids, after I had noticed it. Was a pretty cool experience to realize it later and be able to share it.
View Quote

Not Vacation...Funny Farm.
Great movie
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Yup, every film scene location in Red Dawn.  
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Not a movie but NCIS. Filmed at NBVC, Point Mugu.
Never have watched the show though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Back in the 80s my unit jumped into and trained in Jordan.
At some point, they brought us to Petra for a day of R&R.
Not too long after coming home, we saw it in the Indiana Jones film.

The world was a much bigger place in the 80s, there was no internet as we know it now.
We had no idea we were at a place that was going to be seen in a movie later.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Concentricity:
One of the National Lampoons Vacation movies with Chevy Chase. It’s the movie that kinda starts out where he’s upset because every day when the mailman drives by the mail truck is smoking and backfiring. He drives around in this little convertible car.

There’s a scene in the movie where he drives down the ramp into the Brownsville Dam swimming area in VT.

I saw the movie once back when I was a kid. Forgot all about the movie. Went swimming while on a family vacation at the Brownsville Dam. I got Deja Vu when walking out of the water and looking up at the driveway ramp.

About a week after returning home we sat down with the kids to watch that movie. Paused the movie to explain the connection to the kids, after I had noticed it. Was a pretty cool experience to realize it later and be able to share it.
View Quote

Funny Farm. I lived in Dummerston when that movie was being shot. Friends of mine got married in the gazebo that was built for that movie and was donated to the town after shooting.

Right off the top... The Texas Chili Parlor in Austin, TX that was used in Death Proof. The orchard from The Cidar House Rules.

There's more as I remember them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Where I live, over 500 movies have been filmed here. I see stars all the time. Mostly Theyre scouting locations. They like to use the saloon right down the road. Most movies were westerns and I've found quite a few 5 in 1 movie blanks. Parent Trap 2 and Next were filmed here. It's cool to chat up the stars without letting on that you know who they are. Marrisa Tomei is yum. Same when I'm at my place in Santa Monica. AJ is yum too.

My brother and I have plans to see the the location of the final gunfight in the GB&U.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote
It's just over the way in NC.  They producers/directors described what they wanted, and Whitney knew what locations would fit the bill, and brought their production staff in their to see if it would work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I’ve been to all the Cleveland, OH film locations for A Christmas Story, not exactly hard to do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sslocal:
Not a movie but NCIS. Filmed at NBVC, Point Mugu.
Never have watched the show though.
View Quote

The final episode was shot here in town. Mark Harmon almost ran me down as I was walking into town for a beer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Now I am remembering some more-
The bar in Acura where the opening scene of Desperado was shot
Several places in west Texas where Fandango had scenes- including the old air strip (locally called rattlesnake Air base, or something) where the skydiving scene was filmed
My brother preached at the church in Valley Spring where part of the Meg Ryan film “flesh and bone” had a scene shot

My BIL had a line in the recent “Alamo” movie. Saw a few places that filmed, and the ballroom dancing scene was shot in the Driscoll hotel in Austin. Been there a few times
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Visited Seattle a few years back.  Can't remember the name of the place, but I sat in the Tom Hanks seat at the bar where he met Meg Ryan in "Sleepless in Seattle".  My wife sat in Meg's seat.  There where plaques on the chairs as proof!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Astoria, OR
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Not the filming location, but I did get picked up by USBP in the real life location where Sicario was supposed to take place.  Odd wasy to start the day, but got even more odd when I was helping them scout possible LP/OP positions for an upcoming training exercise they had scheduled with SF.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top