BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If there's a steady paycheck he'll do anything you say.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Commando223:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
What ? You have to work ,like most of us.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Good story and kudos to Bill Murray for fighting on Ernie's behalf to get his fair pay.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Title doesn't match article.

Why does he have to work?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Title is a bit click bait.

So he has 4 kids and the main staring titles he has to his name is his break out roles in ghost busters 1 & 2. More than 34 years ago. I can’t say I have seen him in much else, or at least a recognizable role for me.  He is not a star like Eddie murphie.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen shit that would make you turn white.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Ghostbusters: Afterlife | Post Credit Scene
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Shocking news, not every actor in Hollywood is A-list rich.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Why does he need any one to advocate for him is he not his own man?  This kind of smells like the victim card but I may be looking too hard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
Shocking news, not every actor in Hollywood is A-list rich.
View Quote

99% aren’t
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#13]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Title is a bit click bait.

So he has 4 kids and the main staring titles he has to his name is his break out roles in ghost busters 1 & 2. More than 34 years ago. I can’t say I have seen him in much else, or at least a recognizable role for me.  He is not a star like Eddie murphie.
View Quote

You haven’t seen the Crow?

The Crow | 'Rebirth' (HD) | Brandon Lee, Ernie Hudson | 1994
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Why does he need any one to advocate for him is he not his own man?  This kind of smells like the victim card but I may be looking too hard.
View Quote

It’s almost like Bill Murray has more pull than Ernie Hudson in the entertainment industry or something.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always said Hudson was a pretty underrated actor. I'm always a little surprised he never landed any bigger roles.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Net worth of $5 million.  Good story, but really?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Today I learned there is a Quantum Leap reboot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Im surprised he didnt blame it on him being black
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Don’t sleep on The Substitute (1996).
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:
Good story and kudos to Bill Murray for fighting on Ernie's behalf to get his fair pay.
View Quote

Mighty decent of Murray.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#22]
He's not exactly a leading actor and Ghostbusters was decades ago. Not sure why this would be surprising.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#23]
View Quote

He had to audition to be the voice actor in one of the video games and didn't get the role.

He laughs about that, but I could see why he'd be disappointed by it, too.

His original role in the first Ghostbusters was much larger, but mostly got cut or written out.

I'm sure he DID lobby for both, but Murray also has a LOT more pull and did him a solid. If he's bringing this up, I'm, pretty sure it's meant as a thanks to Murray.

Every interview I've seen with him has been free from victim mentality, from what I interpreted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Wouldn't a ton of "actors" kill to trade places with him?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
View Quote

Not bad  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
He’s not a big-name star that makes more money than he can spend, so it’s not too surprising he’s still working, since he lives in such an expensive area. It’s also a line of work that doesn’t wreck you physically, which allows for folks in their 70’s to keep working. He might have something close to a perfect retirement gig at this point, plenty of movies/shows need folks in that age bracket.

Once more, I am reminded that Bill Murray is among the finest of the last generation of actors. Great actor, and an all around good person, too. Shame there aren’t more like him walking around.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tep0583:
I've always said Hudson was a pretty underrated actor. I'm always a little surprised he never landed any bigger roles.

View Quote

Also true. Forgot he was in the Crow, hell, I forgot about that movie.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
It's too bad. I loved his work in Die Hard

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ghostbusters-star-ernie-hudson-pay-disparity-racism-new-movie-1235859334/amp/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#30]
First, excellent FPNI

Second, I hope I look that good in my 70s

Third, people with a five mil net worth don't "have" to work
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JimEN:
Wouldn't a ton of "actors" kill to trade places with him?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#32]

He had to audition to be the voice actor in one of the video games and didn't get the role.

He laughs about that, but I could see why he'd be disappointed by it, too.

His original role in the first Ghostbusters was much larger, but mostly got cut or written out.

I'm sure he DID lobby for both, but Murray also has a LOT more pull and did him a solid. If he's bringing this up, I'm, pretty sure it's meant as a thanks to Murray.

Every interview I've seen with him has been free from victim mentality, from what I interpreted.
View Quote

Hang on. They had the actor from the original movie audition as the VA… And they turned him down? Wtf? Unless he was asking waaay more than what a good VA makes(which isn’t much, AFAIK) that’s pants on head retarded.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
Im surprised he didnt blame it on him being black
View Quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/ghostbusters-star-ernie-hudson-pay-disparity-racism-new-movie-1235859334/amp/

Hollywood Reporter tried to get him to do that but he didn’t
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude is in phenomenal shape for pushing 80.

Also, his first film credit was in 1976, so thread title should really be "nearly 50 years." Sounds like US Magazine was including his amateur/student acting.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Net worth of $5 million.  Good story, but really?
View Quote
half his worth is tied up in his 2 homes. My Mom’s listed worth wasn’t half of what she really had but she wanted to keep up appearances “success breeds success” she drive a new Jaguar she couldn’t afford repairs for to impress her fellow Hollywood peers. Now she bitches at me about needing more money from me and she doesn’t even drive - she turned 70

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cypher214] [#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

His role was written for Eddie Murphy but by the time the movie got picked up, Eddie was a big star and had too much going on.

It took awhile for Ghostbusters to be made because Aykroyd had a batshit nuts script that nobody thought would work.  It went through some major changes to become what we saw on screen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Hang on. They had the actor from the original movie audition as the VA… And they turned him down? Wtf? Unless he was asking waaay more than what a good VA makes(which isn’t much, AFAIK) that’s pants on head retarded.
View Quote

Supposedly Venkman had to be redesigned as the original looked so much like Bill Murray they would have to pay for likeness
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Blackbeard28:
View Quote

Bill Murray acted in “Rushmore” for almost nothing. He even gave $25K to Wes Anderson to film a scene that was beyond the film’s budget.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#40]
How I Met Your Mother Marshall ''Who you gonna call?''
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Power perceived is power achieved...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#42]
There was some kind of TV and movie convention at a hotel I was staying at 15 years ago, I wandered through and Ernie Hudson had an autograph table, but they screwed up and set him up next to a couple of Playboy models and he was sitting over there with them instead flirting with an Asian chick.  It was okay, I don't think there was overwhelming demand for Ernie Hudson autographs.  Catherine Bach was there - a little thicc, but still.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Just like in pro sports.

A high school buddy played a couple seasons for the Vikings.  As a 2nd string lineman he got paid $8000/ game if he suited up.  Not everyone on the team gets to suit up, you’re mostly just a tackling dummy at practice.

Every week you’re scrapping for a spot like starving dogs fighting over scraps.  He was barely squeaking by financially and knew he just didn’t have the necessary commitment to succeed as a pro athlete.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Just like in pro sports.

A high school buddy played a couple seasons for the Vikings.  As a 2nd string lineman he got paid $8000/ game if he suited up.  Not everyone on the team gets to suit up, you're mostly just a tackling dummy at practice.

Every week you're scrapping for a spot like starving dogs fighting over scraps.  He was barely squeaking by financially and knew he just didn't have the necessary commitment to succeed as a pro athlete.
View Quote

Even the tackling dummies at practice make decent coin.  I met a huge motherfucker who was on the Cowboys practice squad and he still made $100k-ish a year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thrasymachus] [#45]
My dad has a friend from high school that retired from acting a few ago. He made a decent living as an extra in a ton of movies, where he only had a line or two. Not an extravagant life, but a decent middle class income.

Calibrating your life to what you make is probably hard for actors.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Thrasymachus:
My dad has a friend from high school that retired from acting a few ago. He made a decent living as an extra in a ton of movies, where he only had a line or two. Not an extravagant life, but a decent middle class income.

Calibrating your life to what you make is probably hard for actors.
View Quote

Absolutely true for my Mom
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I always figured the reason you hear so many of them refer to themselves as a “Working Actor” was because that’s what it is to them. It’s a job that pays, you do a part and move on to the next one when it’s completed. Some parts last longer than others and if you get REALLY lucky you hit something out of the park occasionally and get big money and the notoriety that comes along with it that gets you other parts.

I don’t even think that some of them are better actors. They just have a talent (or their agent does) for picking projects that are more suited to them so they preform better.

I could be wrong but acting seems like a pretty easy gig if you get a good part. Probably easy if it’s a bad part too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#48]
A bit of a Carl Weathers story.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Charlie556:
I always figured the reason you hear so many of them refer to themselves as a "Working Actor" was because that's what it is to them. It's a job that pays, you do a part and move on to the next one when it's completed. Some parts last longer than others and if you get REALLY lucky you hit something out of the park occasionally and get big money and the notoriety that comes along with it that gets you other parts.

I don't even think that some of them are better actors. They just have a talent (or their agent does) for picking projects that are more suited to them so they preform better.

I could be wrong but acting seems like a pretty easy gig if you get a good part. Probably easy if it's a bad part too.
View Quote

For every star, there's 5 actors whose face you recognize but can't remember their name.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#50]
He’s one of my favorites.  I remember he had a lead role in a short run series where he was cop always doing the right thing.  Very disappointed when it was pulled.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top