Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2023 9:16:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have beaten the S&P 500 so far this year, in my taxable accounts.  Not in my IRA, but I only took control of that in January, and have put most of my LT bonds there.  Hopefully, that pays off in 2024.
It has been a decent year, which I needed after 2022.  I am still adjusting to the retired life style, and it is not easy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

That's for my stocks/bonds and even factors in me significantly increasing my cash position in September anticipating a recession in Q1-2024.

My cryptocurrency portfolio is up 136%.  

Not a bad year at all.  I'm not sure what to think about 2024 yet though.  I think you can make arguments both ways right now.  We are all waiting to see if a "soft landing" is even possible or just wishful thinking.

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubled GBTC in my new IRA.  Probably should have kept that position, but I didn't.  Not too bad for an asset that is supposedly headed straight to zero.
I some times wonder  why the self proclaimed experts aren't all rich.  That is really funny when you think about it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 3:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speedwinder] [#4]
I must be the "slow" investor here. I only yielded a return of 16.68% this year. That number does include my CD's, T-bills, and sideline cash.

Happy investing to all in 2024!
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Balanced account for kids college savings

Balanced 401k based on age and years until retirement:

Long term aggressive Roth IRA:

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few different taxable accounts as well as a few tax deferred from two different advisors.  Individual account performance is all over the map- anywhere from just under 10% to just over 30%.  I guess this is a sign that I'm too diversified?  But, all of them are up, and at better returns than the CDs I have.

I track all personal assets in an excel file and have for years.  I'm a long term investor, I hardly ever have a short-term gain, which is also why I prefer to track net worth instead of individual fund or account performance.  My excel file shows a value for each account so I can identify underperformers, but I don't necessarily move out of those positions solely because they are the least performing assets.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:44:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#7]
Attachment Attached File

I also have an annuity through my side job that I don't touch and don't have many choices on, but it's  a Vanguard Growth Fund which is close to 30% YTD.

Edit:  Figured out how to login to my JH account.  Doing way better than I thought.  I picked the most aggressive option out of the measly 10 they gave me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My TSP is at 22.59% for the year and Etrade is 51.24%.    

See, Joe is doing a fabulous job.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#9]
Let me throw out another pespective. Not "how much are you up for the year?" but "how much is your net worth increasing annually or YoY basis?"

In my mind and some others, that is the true testament to hitting your "getting out of the game" number or living comfortably.

This is predicating on, mentally running your household as a "business".
Income: wages for both members, bonuses, and other incomes.
Expenses: taxes, home expenses, critical spending
Luxuries: vacations
Investing is a line item in there too.

It's a different approach but it is a strong driver for increasing your personal income at work, watch spending closely and investing wisely as possible.

Why not consider thinking of it that way as this is your total portfolio for retirement on being FIR?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:
Let me throw out another pespective. Not how much are you up for the year but how much is your networth increasing annually or YoY basis?

In my mind and some others, that is the true testament to hitting your "getting out of the game" number or living comfortablly.

This is predicating on, mentally running your household as a "business".
Income: wages for both members, bonuses, and other incomes.
Expenses: taxes, home expenses, critical spending
Luxuries: vacations
Investing is a line item in there too.

It's a different approach but it is a strong driver for increasing your personal income at work, watch spending closely and investing wisely as possible.

Why not consider thinking of it that way as this is your total portfolio for retirement on being FIR?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32390/TNW_png-3073819.JPG
View Quote

I track that as well.  

How exactly does one's net worth increase 65% in a year?

Your percentage numbers are really incredible.  I live on about half my income and my rolling avg since I started tracking this metric (2012) is only 16.5%.  My best year (percentage wise) was in 2021 as well, but was only 26%.  Mine are actual calendar YOY.  What is the significance of March 18th?

If your net worth is primarily made up of investments, maybe that is more feasible.  However, if you include real estate in net worth (which you should) it does not appreciate that fast and drags down the annual avg.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

I track that as well.  

Your percentage numbers are really incredible.  I live on about half my income and my rolling avg since I started tracking this metric (2012) is only 16.5%.  My best year (percentage wise) was in 2021 as well, but was only 26%.  Mine are actual calendar YOY.  What is the significance of March 18th?

If your net worth is primarily made up of investments, maybe that is more feasible.  However, if you include real estate in net worth (which you should) it does not appreciate that fast and drags down the annual avg.
View Quote

I personally don't include real estate in my net worth calculation because I don't invest in real estate.  I intend to be in my house until I retire some place quiet and warm, so it's value is not relevant to me as an investment.  Same with one business property.  It has value, but to my business it is much more valuable than what it could sell for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#13]
Originally Posted By @FALARAK:

What is the significance of March 18th?
View Quote

Short answer: that is my birthday!
I'm late 40's now and have an age in mind AND a FIR number my wife and I are driving at every single day and decision we make.
Related note, "real estate" and "home value" are two separate things.
I agree, as I do not include home value in net worth value but investment properties should be included.

If you're interested in me giving a few details and highlights from the beginning, I certainly can.

Edit: Even if someone is retired, wouldn't it make sense to know what your Net Worth is at all times? As well as projected cash flow from pensions and other sources AND your burn rate (expenses and miscellaneous burning of cash)? Actually, my posts are starting to be a thread derail as you were looking for folks who are just working the system with a "How'd you do for the year?" type of post. Sorry.

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I must suck.  I thought my 13% for the year was okay..
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BPR:

I personally don't include real estate in my net worth calculation because I don't invest in real estate.  I intend to be in my house until I retire some place quiet and warm, so it's value is not relevant to me as an investment.  Same with one business property.  It has value, but to my business it is much more valuable than what it could sell for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BPR:
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

I track that as well.  

Then you aren't measuring your net worth.  You are measuring your investments total value.

Net worth has a definition.  The definition of net worth is simple: Total assets minus total liabilities.    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/networth.asp
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie278:
Damn, I must suck.  I thought my 13% for the year was okay..
View Quote

If you are invested primarily in a lower risk portfolio, such as a 50/50 equities to fixed income assets, 13% is fine.  If you are years away from retirement, then earning 13% in a year when broad based equity indexes gained 26% means you are losing a TON to opportunity cost.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm up on paper about 35% but only a small % of that is locked in from sales and fixed income. The market giveth, the market (and inflation) taketh away.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My fun money account is up 19.4% YTD which is awesome considering that the account was just used to ladder Tbills until August.

My SIMPLE IRA through work is right at 10% YTD.  Tempted to unenroll and take control of it.  Loosing the 3% match will suck but they’ve been underperforming for years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Best I see of our accounts was the wife’s Roth IRA…. Too bad it’s also our smallest account!

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#21]
457b was 33.4% for 2023.  Half in various index funds, half in a couple of growth funds.

HSA was 25.3% for 2023.  All in a S&P 500 index fund.

Unfortunately, that merely gets my total back up to around to where it was around the end of 2021.  Those growth funds took even more of a beating in 2022 than the S&P did.  

At least a dollar buys a lot less now, so I have that going for me as well.  

Wife holds our more conservative assets, her 2023 performance was 15.6%.  Of course she did not take as much of a hit in 2022 as I did either.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't really have a good % number because I received a windfall in a few big chunks at different times in the year, so VGs calculation is suspect. Luckily I had it all in the accounts before October . I finished at 15% over the EOY balance.

Most importantly, I made 4x my annual expenses, which feels great for my 1st full year of retirement.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#23]
These guys killed it!! What a year. Wait, it always ends up for these folks regardless of the year!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I did okay for 2023, about 21%?

I was helping one of my co-workers with his 401k.  His asset allocation was roughly:

50% US Equity (+25%)
10% Small Cap Growth (+3%)
20% International Blend (+8%)
20% Emerging Markets (-3.5%)

I've heard emerging market are due for a rebound, but -3.5% was brutal for last year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top