BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 77
Posted: 12/12/2010 1:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TT4life]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9tLus_yLs&feature=player_embedded

I'm fucking pumped!

UPDATE:  Here is a website with some screenshots and info on the game.

http://www.gamingeverything.com/2011/1/elder_scrolls_v_scans/3651/elder_scolls_v-2.jpg#s
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
FUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!

I read a news article some time ago that they were pretty far with the new Elder Scrolls game, but they had no information whatsoever about it. This looks so cool!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By numberofthebeast:
FUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!

I read a news article some time ago that they were pretty far with the new Elder Scrolls game, but they had no information whatsoever about it. This looks so cool!!

The little info I have read is that it is a sequel to Oblivion set about 200 yrs later....and now apparently Skyrim is the location and Nords look to play a key part (maybe like Dark Elves in Morrowind).

BTW I loved the beginning of the Morrowind theme in the trailer .
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Please god have them use a new engine for this game
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By TT4life:

FUUUUUCK YEAH!!!!

The little info I have read is that it is a sequel to Oblivion set about 200 yrs later....and now apparently Skyrim is the location and Nords look to play a key part (maybe like Dark Elves in Morrowind).
BTW I loved the beginning of the Morrowind theme in the trailer .

Let me find the article I read a while back. They said it might turn out to be a chronological sequel, but Bethesda does a good job at keeping things quiet until the game is ready to be released. Here it is.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6284431.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By roboman:

I would like to be able to set up items around my house without them flying everywhere. I missed being able to set up a dining room table and treasures like I could in Morrowind. None of that was possible in Oblivion.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:37:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: roboman] [#6]

I would like to be able to set up items around my house without them flying everywhere. I missed being able to set up a dining room table and treasures like I could in Morrowind. None of that was possible in Oblivion.

I'd love it if the characters in the game didn't look like freaks and they didn't use 3 voice actors to do the voices for every NPC in the game
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
needs more voice overs.............by Patrick Stewart...like in Oblivion

he is the best
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]

I'd love it if the characters in the game didn't look like freaks and they didn't use 3 voice actors to do the voices for every NPC in the game

That's true too. Sometimes the people would be so sickly and pale looking it freaked me out!

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope they use a different leveling system. The one used in IV was dumb.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
As long as there are still crazy over-the-top rag doll effects when you shoot an NPC with arrows, I am happy.

That's always what my time playing Oblivion boiled down into.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Renegade13B:

I hope they use a different leveling system. The one used in IV was dumb.

THIS!

Oblivion was completely ruined with the craptacular leveling system. Having to download a plethora of mods to make the game interesting to play was just bad design :(.

But I did enjoy the quests and what not.

Here's hoping the game is more like morrowind and less like oblivion.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Admittedly, it's not the best trailer, but it doesn't matter because it's ELDER SCROOOOOOOOOLLS!
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Meta4:
Admittedly, it's not the best trailer, but it doesn't matter because it's ELDER SCROOOOOOOOOLLS!

The trailer was garbage. Just a dude talking and stone crap moving around
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Meta4:

Yep. It should be great if its anything like the others.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Cliff racers will make a return...
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Edvvard:

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Cliff racers probably caused more suicides in the gaming industry than anything else.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I had never played any Elder Scrolls games before, but a few weeks ago I saw Oblivion for sale on Steam for like $4 and it included all DLC so I got it.

The first time I was wondering around a store in the Imperial Market and it was late so the shop owner said "I think its time for you to leave".  I thought oh crap, am I in trouble?  Then I realized he was closing the shop.  Then I realized I could break in and steal everything.  

That's when I stopped having free time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#19]

YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: numberofthebeast] [#20]

Originally Posted By m14fun:

I had never played any Elder Scrolls games before, but a few weeks ago I saw Oblivion for sale on Steam for like $4 and it included all DLC so I got it.
The first time I was wondering around a store in the Imperial Market and it was late so the shop owner said "I think its time for you to leave".  I thought oh crap, am I in trouble?  Then I realized he was closing the shop.  Then I realized I could break in and steal everything.  

I don't think any game experience can beat the first time you are exploring your first Elder Scrolls game. Morrowind for me was just so incredible and seemed like such a huge and infinite world with so much to do.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By m14fun:

I don't think any game experience can beat the first time you are exploring your first Elder Scrolls game. Morrowind for me was just so incredible and seemed like such a huge and infinite world with so much to do.

i clocked 490 somthing hours in that game.  i loved it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/12/13/the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-announced/1

Skyrim will apparently be built on a whole new engine too, with
Bethesda's community manager Nick Breckon tweeting earlier that he 'can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new.'

RPS followed up with Breckon to clarify what he meant and have since
confirmed that the engine is being built internally at Bethesda and is
not just a new iteration of the dated Gamebryo engine used in Oblivion.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M-1975:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/12/13/the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-announced/1

Skyrim will apparently be built on a whole new engine too, with Bethesda's community manager Nick Breckon tweeting earlier that he 'can now confirm that the TES V: Skyrim engine is all-new.'

RPS followed up with Breckon to clarify what he meant and have since confirmed that the engine is being built internally at Bethesda and is not just a new iteration of the dated Gamebryo engine used in Oblivion.

My excitement level just took a noticeable jump
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I just pissed myself a little
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I played oblivion a bit and it pissed me off, I wandered everywhere and nothing but big empty dungeons with no mobs or loot or anything, bored the hell out of me
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
I played oblivion a bit and it pissed me off, I wandered everywhere and nothing but big empty dungeons with no mobs or loot or anything, bored the hell out of me

oblivion didn't have the sense of exploration that morrowind had
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Ciraxis:

I think the fast travel system sort of ruined it. Also, in Morrowing the map was blacked out until you explored the area. That was a good way of letting me know where I've been before or not. I wish they would bring back the old system of travel. Something like the silt striders or boats at least.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]

I think the fast travel system sort of ruined it. Also, in Morrowing the map was blacked out until you explored the area. That was a good way of letting me know where I've been before or not. I wish they would bring back the old system of travel. Something like the silt striders or boats at least.

agreed

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 4:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slipfit] [#29]
Cool man, cant wait. I always wondered where the next one would take place.  Time to freeze our asses off in the winters of skyrim!  Also, what do you mean by cliff racers?

EDIT:  Yeah, I looked up cliff racers. they look like fun. NOT!
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:03:15 AM EDT
[#30]

There was a whited out portion on the maps of where you have and hadn't been. I haven't played Morrowind though so I'm not sure what it was like in that one.

And you didn't have to use the fast travel! I personally like having the option because sometimes I don't want to spend 20 minutes traveling from one side of the province to the other.
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By biglou250:

There was a whited out portion on the maps of where you have and hadn't been. I haven't played Morrowind though so I'm not sure what it was like in that one.

And you didn't have to use the fast travel! I personally like having the option because sometimes I don't want to spend 20 minutes traveling from one side of the province to the other.

I think it made the game feel bigger and harder without the fast travel.  You did have mark and recall which were awesome, I hope they bring those back
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By slipfit:

Cool man, cant wait. I always wondered where the next one would take place.  Time to freeze our asses off in the winters of skyrim!  Also, what do you mean by cliff racers?

Hehe, you will find out aaaalllllll about them.

Link Posted: 12/22/2010 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#33]
wasnt that travel or anything, world was just big and empty, explored like half the map, nothing but herbs and empty dungeons with some soulstones to steal and maybe a mage or two.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE IN OP.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 8:37:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: biglou250] [#35]
Game Informer’s first look at Bethesda Softworks’ Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has hit subscribers, thus making its way onto the net. The scans are out, and while we can’t tell you were to find them, we can tell you about some important pieces of intel.

Leveling

Skyrim‘s level system works on a 1-50 scale. Though, level 50 isn’t the limit; when you reach level 50, you’ll gain experience much slower, making leveling a much more difficult process.

Each time a player levels, they’ll earn extra health. Additionally, they can also pick one of the following traits to boost: stamina, health, or magic.

There’s no class selection at the start of the game. Every skill a player earns will help contribute to their overall level. Every time a player levels, new perks (a la Fallout 3) are unlocked.

Level-scaling makes a return. Meaning: “The game eventually logs a huge storehouse of knowledge about how you’ve played, and subsequently tailors content to your capabilities and experiences. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you’ve explored, automatically set the mission in a place you’ve never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.”

Skills

There are 18 skills for players to learn, which is three down from Oblivion and eleven down from Morrowind.

Skills will try and accommodate the player who wants to put their focus into a single profession, as well as allow room for players who prefer to do a little bit of everything.

The mysticism skill is gone. The enchanting skill is still present.

Story

The game is set in the Nord region of Skyrim, 200 years after the events of Oblivion. The player, as one of the dragonborn, is called upon to stop the prophetic return of the dragons. The player’s mentor is one of the last blades.

The world includes five massive cities. Its dungeons — caves, underground areas, etcetera — will have more variation than past games.

Conversations

Conversations do not zoom into the person’s face, anymore. They’re more realistic in Skyrim; the person you’re talking to will do things such as walk around, perform tasks whilst in conversation, glance at you every now and then, etc.

Faces are heavily improved. They don’t look like crap, anymore.

Combat

Combat is more dynamic and tactical; each hand is assigned a function (ex: magic in one hand, a weapon in the other). The team is putting a lot of care into the different feel of each weapon in the player’s hands. They’re also putting a heavy emphasis on improving combat in Skyrim.

Enemies include: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses, mammoth, saber-toothed cats, and other creatures.

Questing

Quests, like combat, also boast a more dynamic feel. You’ll be assigned quests depending on how you develop your character. For example: a frequent magic user may be approached by another mage and assign you a quest. Had you been a frequent melee fighter, the mage would not have approached you.

To better suit the player, quests will be modified depending on what you’ve done (see level scaling above, or the following example). An example: you must rescue a girl from a certain location. This location will be in an area you’ve yet to visit with enemies that are of or near your level in order to have the player visit a new location and be combatant with challenging enemies.

Also of note: in Oblivion, if you dropped an item, it would stay there forever. Depending on where you drop items in Skyrim, different events could happen. Another example: if you drop a dagger in a town, a young boy might pick it up and find you to return. Or in a different situation: a group of men could find it and fight over who gets to keep it.

Engine

The engine is completely new. Snow falls dynamically, trees and branches move independently according to the wind, and water flows beautifully.

There are dynamic shadows, as well.

Other Stuff

The third-person view has been improved. These improvements are clearly displayed in the screenshots the magazine provides (which we cannot publish).

There is an option to remove the heads-up-display (HUD) for players who want the entire screen to be taken advantage of.

Players can sprint if they feel like going fast. Or they could fast-travel, allowing them to transport to any previously visited location on the map.

Dragons can attack a town, meaning that towns may (we’re guessing) also be open to other creature attacks. You can also duel an NPC in town, western style, if you’d like.

More at link:
http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/first-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-details

One of the scans.

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Level-scaling again.

Just in case you might've felt like you were making progress...
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like we have yet another solid RPG series being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator of dumbfuck gamer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I hate the level scaling, but I will probably still buy it.  I think overall it will be an amazing game.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Level scaling is absolutely stupid.  I'll still play the game, but I'm not really interested anymore.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh well. Level-scaling means I'll skip the Xbox version and get it on PC, then play-through it again when some modder gets rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Not sure if this has been posted, but here's another article with some updates about the new changes to the game.

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/932/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-features-&-changes-detailed.html

Can't fucking wait!
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh man, November 11 cannot come fast enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I hope they release the system requirements before the summer so I know what kind of rig I'll need to play it!
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#47]

That looks sweet.

One of the things I loved about Oblivion that they didn't incorporate in Fallout 3 was being able to buy a bunch of houses/hideouts/forts/loot stashes.  Only having a single apartment in Megaton or Tenpenny Tower was lame compared to all the ones in Oblivion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I hope they improve the spells...

The ones in IV sucked shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

Only pansies use spells. Stealth + bow and/or sword FTW
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

Only pansies use spells. Stealth + bow and/or sword FTW

Pft.

I want to turn people in newts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top