Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iggy1337:
As far as I know it's a mandatory but switchable option.
Mrs iggy1337 has it now on her adaptive cruise control. You can basically set the system to follow but within the detected speed limit.
View Quote

As ETSC recommended, it is.

Like Stop/Start, as currently configured, it's defeatable, but each start it's slated to be default on in EU. As with Stop/Start I'm sure there will be means to defeat permanently by simple modification. Also like Stop/Start I imagine there will be increasing utilization, and increasingly difficult to defeat.

Attachment Attached File

I've driven BMWs using the LIM button quite a bit. It's not onerous when on, tho it is an active system (it soft governs speed). It's kinda funny when peeps inadvertently engage (and asinine when you do that ) But tho I'm not a nanny reactionary (Don't touch the PSM bro) - I'm not a fan of ISA.

First these systems tend to get the limits wrong - a small percentage and mostly off main route, but it's annoying. It also often misses temporary changes so you still need to be aware (not that, in my experience, most peeps in the States follow construction or safety reductions ), Plus it can can fail, tho normally it won't impact like AEB. Which is a shit show when malf'd - as owners of '23 Blazer and Canyorados, Nissan a few years ago and recent Hondas (surprised no recall yet) can attest. GM lost 3-4 months of '24 sales due to system malf's, tho not solely AEB.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ske714:

Nope.  Tickets are big business.
View Quote

No, they're not.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

Eventually, OBD2 retrofit devices will be mandated for all the government regulation.  No OBD2 retrofit device, no operating your car. After a couple years of that, I can say it will be likely there will be a "cash for clunkers" with a stipend for turning in old cars to be crushed. A short time later, any car caught on the road without government  devices will be confiscated and crushed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OscarD:
Starting next model year we get mandatory DUI detection equipment in vehicles. It’s not like we’re really any better off.

I’m just going to keep my “old 2018” and pass on the electronic nanny BS.

Eventually, OBD2 retrofit devices will be mandated for all the government regulation.  No OBD2 retrofit device, no operating your car. After a couple years of that, I can say it will be likely there will be a "cash for clunkers" with a stipend for turning in old cars to be crushed. A short time later, any car caught on the road without government  devices will be confiscated and crushed.

There will always be a workaround. I’ve managed to defeat every piece of nanny tech my former employer used in their vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Like Stop/Start, as currently configured, it's defeatable, but each start it's slated to be default on in EU. As with Stop/Start I'm sure there will be means to defeat permanently by simple modification. Also like Stop/Start I imagine there will be increasing utilization, and increasingly difficult to defeat.

I've driven BMWs with the LIM button. It's not onerous when on, tho it is an active system (it soft governs speed).  But tho I'm not a nanny reactionary (Don't touch the PSM bro) - I'm not a fan.

First these systems tend to get the limits wrong - a small and mostly off main route, but it's annoying. It also often misses temporary changes so you still need to be aware (not that, in my experience, most peeps in the States follow construction or safety reductions ), Plus it can can fail, tho normally it won't impact like AEB. Which is a shit show when malf'd - as owners of '23 Blazer and Canyorados, Nissan a few years ago and recent Hondas (surprised no recall yet) can attest. GM lost 3-4 months of '24 sales due to system malf's, tho not solely AEB.

View Quote

I permanently disabled start/stop in my 2018 F-150 with free software and a $20 OBD2 cable from Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]

I permanently disabled start/stop in my 2018 F-150 with free software and a $20 OBD2 cable from Amazon.
View All Quotes

I've driven BMWs with the LIM button. It's not onerous when on, tho it is an active system (it soft governs speed).  But tho I'm not a nanny reactionary (Don't touch the PSM bro) - I'm not a fan.

First these systems tend to get the limits wrong - a small and mostly off main route, but it's annoying. It also often misses temporary changes so you still need to be aware (not that, in my experience, most peeps in the States follow construction or safety reductions ), Plus it can can fail, tho normally it won't impact like AEB. Which is a shit show when malf'd - as owners of '23 Blazer and Canyorados, Nissan a few years ago and recent Hondas (surprised no recall yet) can attest. GM lost 3-4 months of '24 sales due to system malf's, tho not solely AEB.

It's still relatively easily done in many, including oddly enough circa 2020 Caymen GT4 (which also has cylinder deactivation ).

Did you avoid or disable your AEB? (Ford's marketing term is Pre-Collision Assist). In '18 prolly trim dependent.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
My car has the speed limit sign reading technology now, but it falsely alerts me when I pass a school zone with a reduced speed during non-school hours. It thinks the speed drops to 20mph all the time. I wonder how they'll combat this.
View Quote

My truck reads speed limit signs with a camera and displays on the dash - it says the speed limit is 70 in the school zone I commute through daily. It’s 40mph on the off hours and 25 during school.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't wait to try and accelerate away from an accident and then having the car put the brakes on as I get killed by a semi driving right through me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]

There will always be a workaround. I’ve managed to defeat every piece of nanny tech my former employer used in their vehicles.
View Quote

Absolutely there will be. And the punishment when you get caught will be draconian.  100-1, this tech will also come with mandatory inspections and testing. AI will be used to process data and if it sees you own cars but aren't posting data to the network, you will get flagged.

I hate this shit with a passion, but the window to avoid it is closing and while there will be ways to try circumventing it, the methods to counter the government control won't last long.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#9]
Originally Posted By Paraflare:
Can't wait to try and accelerate away from an accident and then having the car put the brakes on as I get killed by a semi driving right through me.
View Quote

You are in Canada. Your car was already self-driving you to your MAID appointment.....

But you are right. When the car decides what you are doing it wrong and prevents it, it will come with "unintended" consequences.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Europe sucks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The beeping is a thing in Kuwait. Its obnoxious.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lmeadows00:

It’s already here, commercial trucking companies are restricting speed. Just a matter of time until it’s on all vehicles.
View Quote

Commercial trucking company?  Their trucks, their rules.  

Government mandate?  No.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snubfan] [#13]
Originally Posted By resuscitati:
Coming to the USA soon.   You can bet on it.
View Quote

Add CBDC and AI to the mix:
- Deducts speeding fine from your account immediately.
- Reports speeding incident to insurance company immediately for premium adjustments.
- Reports other driving infractions to the insurance company as well.
- Determines if you are driving too many miles per week above & beyond travel to work, and throttles use of vehicle.
- Real-time deduction of points from your social credit score (with corresponding loss of privileges).
- Monitors/approves all purchases so that a proper, safe & equitable society is maintained.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Guaranteed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:33:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#15]

It’s already here, commercial trucking companies are restricting speed. Just a matter of time until it’s on all vehicles.
View Quote

All our vehicles had speed governors when I was in the .mil.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By _DR:

All our vehicles has speed governors when I was in the .mil.

View Quote

.gov owned sedans for driving around? I can't think of anything combat related that wouldn't be aerodynamically limited except when dropped from an aircraft
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:40:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#17]

Absolutely there will be. And the punishment when you get caught will be draconian.  100-1, this tech will also come with mandatory inspections and testing. AI will be used to process data and if it sees you own cars but aren't posting data to the network, you will get flagged.

I hate this shit with a passion, but the window to avoid it is closing and while there will be ways to try circumventing it, the methods to counter the government control won't last long.
View Quote

NTSB reco's last fall was couched in the form of 'driver warnings', not active systems  (except for development of a habitual speeder maximum speed Interlock like drink drivers BAC interlocks). But yes I feel ya bro, ever encroaching.

This doesn't happen in a vacuum. The report and recommendation stemmed from a high profile Las Vegas case where vehicle blew a red light at 100+ mph, damaging 5 other cars, killing 9 occupants, including 7 from one family. Others were permanently disabled. So as with other crisis cascading, when you have these incidents, officials action becomes likely and encouraged by families (understandable), insurance cos, "safety advocates", etc.

The one element suggested, requiring States to develop serious consequences to recidivist speeders, also requires active enforcement, which has gone in the shitter over the last decade.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Works great until it doesn't, like when a sign is obscured by a semi or a bus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mike327:
I wonder how good the speed limit sign parsing is going to be.

Works great until it doesn't, like when a sign is obscured by a semi or a bus.

3's are easy to change into 8's.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]

.gov owned sedans for driving around? I can't think of anything combat related that wouldn't be aerodynamically limited except when dropped from an aircraft
View Quote

Never drove sedans lol ..talking about Deuces and 5 tons.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#20]
And if your car can't go over 70 mph anyway, you don't need more then 100 hp in your electric car.

This is the goal.

100 hp electric car with a 60 mile range that recharges in 5 minutes.

I just wonder if any of guys not having their f250 payments anymore they will have time to save their children's birthrite
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Incremental subservience, followed by the addition of punishment & loss of privileges.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

Originally Posted By NEShooter53:

The assholes here will take it a step farther and send you a ticket for speeding for the speed before the car slows down.

Then how will the state fleece and control you?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Your car will notify the local cops when you exceed the speed limit.  The fine will be automatically deducted from your bank account.  Revenues from speeding tickets will increase.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
How does this work?
View Quote

Do you honestly think the tech isn’t already available to know who owns what car and where they live?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Freedom is going away quickly.

Pun intended!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

Government mandate?  No.
View All Quotes

Government mandate?  No.

Sure they can. Who's to stop them?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:

Government mandate?  No.

They won't be laws, at least initially. It will all be regulation from unelected agencies.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
The speed limit on a road here was raised from 45 to 55 two years ago.  Waze still shows the speed limit as 45.
View Quote

In the OP:

ISA technology uses a camera on the front of the vehicle that can read speed limit signs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#30]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

You were the one reminding the teacher she forgot to assign homework, right?
View All Quotes

Passing doesn't allow you to break the speed limit, you can still get a ticket for that. But yes. What could go wrong?

Just pointing out that of course these systems do not have an exception for passing and why. And that it's a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spmx7777] [#31]
Great idea!  

There was a recent news story about some prankster causing "smart cars" to slow down by wearing such shirts.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Just pointing out that of course these systems do not have an exception for passing and why. And that it's a bad idea.
View All Quotes

Passing doesn't allow you to break the speed limit, you can still get a ticket for that. But yes. What could go wrong?

Or emergencies.   I can remember doing 100+ MPH on an empty 4 lane highway on the way to the hospital because my pregnant wife had complications.   A bad one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I drive a Volvo 745. It doesn't slow you down if you're speeding, but it starts to shake and make weird sounds at around 160.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
One day you will have a full self driving car with facial recognition.  It will jist take people straight to jail that are wanted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

Or emergencies.   I can remember doing 100+ MPH on an empty 4 lane highway on the way to the hospital because my pregnant wife had complications.   A bad one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jhereg:

A perfectly reasonable thing where safe to do so but computer says no.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
I'll never buy another new car again
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By swede1986:
I drive a Volvo 745. It doesn't slow you down if you're speeding, but it starts to shake and make weird sounds at around 160.
View Quote
That's been the universal speed warning system since the dawn of the automobile and it's worked fine.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Never gonna happen.  Most localities (especially small rural places) don't have the funding or manpower to seize/impound
destroy cars that ALREADY need to be seized/destroyed, let alone the millions of preban cars such a law would create.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#39]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Never gonna happen.  Most localities (especially small rural places) don't have the funding or manpower to seize/impound
destroy cars that ALREADY need to be seized/destroyed, let alone the millions of preban cars such a law would create.
View All Quotes

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My timeframe for all the above encompasses several years.

And Fed Gov will subsidize the whole process like they did cash for clunkers and then they will provide localities with financial support for car crushing.

But the last part won't be all that expensive.  Preban cars will be legal, just undriveable on public roads.

No tags, no insurance other than property insurance.

They won't go after collections, just road usage of "unsafe" cars.

ETA: I bet money they will also involve insurance companies for subsidies, bonuses, whatever, in a fantastic symbiotic corporatist team up. Kinda like Covid vax, government and Pfizer/Moderna, etc.

When the .gov wants to push an agenda, nothing will stop them. They can print money and ignore the Constitution.  They have corporate and media support.

"Can't" isn't in their lexicon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#40]
What happens when teenagers vandalize speed limit signs and change them to a higher limit?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#41]
At point are you buying a vehicle you proudly own to when it is a heavily regulated appliance that is a privilege you get into.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My timeframe for all the above encompasses several years.

And Fed Gov will subsidize the whole process like they did cash for clunkers and then they will provide localities with financial support for car crushing.

But the last part won't be all that expensive.  Preban cars will be legal, just undriveable on public roads.

No tags, no insurance other than property insurance.

They won't go after collections, just road usage of "unsafe" cars.
View Quote
They will, though, and most place aren't going to be bothered to seize them.

All such a law would do is increase the size of the grey area that poors, illegals and people who've stopped giving a fuck operate in on a daily basis. People with no DL or insurance or registration driving a shitbox they bought yesterday for a stolen circular saw and some meth.

As long as the "unsafe" cars (and their drivers) are more of a pain in ass to deal with than to simply ignore, they will continue to exist on public roads.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#43]
They will, though, and most place aren't going to be bothered to seize them.

All such a law would do is increase the size of the grey area that poors, illegals and people who've stopped giving a fuck operate in on a daily basis. People with no DL or insurance or registration driving a shitbox they bought yesterday for a stolen circular saw and some meth.

As long as the "unsafe" cars (and their drivers) are more of a pain in ass to deal with than to simply ignore, they will continue to exist on public roads.  
View Quote

Unbelievable that you really believe the fedgov won't do it.

Look at how they go after Jan6 people.

When they don't want citizens to do this that or the other they will accomplish it.

It might take a decade, but they want personal vehicles and the freedom to travel essentially eliminated.  They will do it and it won't be overlooked.
Eventually the appearance of any car of X age or Y type will be immediately responded to and punished. If you live in bumfuck and no one sees you driving it is a lot different than anywhere east of the Mississippi or west of the Rockies.

There will probably even be eco or safety bounties rewarding people that turn in "violators".

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#44]
So will there be a "Emergancy! Gotta get to the hospital!" Overdride button?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:  Give it a few years and they will be raising taxes to make up for the lost ticket revenue.
What happens when passing? Half way through it slows you down?
View Quote

That’s why it’s only 20% effective at reducing deaths .  If the system had a passing override button then it would be more effective at reducing deaths .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
The speed limit on a road here was raised from 45 to 55 two years ago.  Waze still shows the speed limit as 45.
View Quote

You can notify Waze via the app of an inaccuracy and they will look into it .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
The government is wise. The government knows what is best...
...for you
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Insurance premiums/risk reduction are bigger business.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#49]

It's still relatively easily done in many, including oddly enough circa 2020 Caymen GT4 (which also has cylinder deactivation ).

Did you avoid or disable your AEB? (Ford's marketing term is Pre-Collision Assist). In '18 prolly trim dependent.

View Quote

Your cayman has startstop. Not cylinder deactivation.
Porsche does not use cylinder deactivation
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#50]
"Nobody needs a vehicle than can go faster than 100kph
except the government."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top