Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2023 9:10:06 PM EDT
I'm looking to step up my dust collecting, using a shop vac now. Not worried about having to move a single hose around to each machine.
Anyone using this collector from Harbor Freight?
I do like the price.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#1]
I have that one.  Its a good base to customize.

I converted mine into a 2 stage with a separator and a trash can.  Then swapped the filter for one that filters much finer.

Me and my buddy both had the same issue with dust leaking around where the band holds the plastic bag on.  Its fixed by wrapping painter's tape around the top edge of the bag.  And since mine is a 2 stage, barely anything makes it into the bag.  I'm on 7+ years, still on the original plastic bag, with only a few lb of sawdust in the bottom of it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Harbor one. It works great. I did the tape trick and also changed out the upper filter bag to a real full size filter. That mod is on Youtube.
Makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bulldog8] [#3]
I have the very similar 2 hp Grizzly version of the HF dust collector. There are many shop mods that you can do to make a good machine even better.

I took mine apart and mounted the blower on a wall connected to a shop made Thien baffle on a 30 gallon barrel. I use the inlet ring to hold a Wynn filter as the factory filter bag is only good down to the 2.5-5 micron range.

The factory bag will filter chips and large dust, but to stay healthy, you want to filter down to .5 microns or better. The ultra fines are what get i to your lungs and can cause long term breathing problems.

Thien baffle stuff here. https://www.jpthien.com/smf/
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#5]
I use one of the 1HP models as a dedicated collector for a CNC router.  Might be a little louder than some (?) but no real complaints.  Does what it is supposed to do and pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:26:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJE:
I have had the Harbor Frieght dust collector for a few years.  I got tired of emptying the bag so I took the motor and hoses and mounted it to the wall, with the dust being blown outside in the yard.   I have zero complaints from the machine itself (I could still improve the hose setup inside for myself).

It's mounted on the wall behind the red table saw.   Both table saws, the miter saw, and the floor sweep are all connected with blast gates.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84914/20180711_120339-604392.jpg
View Quote

Just be aware you will have to have a window or something open or a shop that isn't air tight to do that. Those things move a ton of air so it has to come in from somewhere and also there goes the heat in the winter.

My dad did that years ago and had that problem. He ended up plumbing it to a bag in the winter and outside in the summer. Worked great and easy clean up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#7]
A quick note. The Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector is on sale for $200 right now, 33% off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EBR666:
A quick note. The Harbor Freight 2 hp dust collector is on sale for $200 right now, 33% off.
View Quote
It's a coupon to get the price.
Coupon Code 69053601
Expires Feb 4, 2024
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a Single Stage Rikon. It has soon the job so far.  Most effective with the surfacer and jointer, but for the low investment it has gotten me by.

I am now working on several shop upgrades and dust collection is on the list.  Just don't have a clue yet what the final answer will be. :-)
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the small Wen with the bag on the outlet (think it's 1HP?).    I have it running through a knock out made from a  55-gallon drum and run a single hose to whatever machine.   It works great for me as an occasional-use hobbyist/DIY user.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top