I can remember seeing a pineapple grenade
In the neighbors garage stored in the attic about
50 years ago (wanna guess how HOT an attic gets
In the summer in south central Kansas?)

It was wired and taped so it just wouldnt go off

Then years later I hear heat is very bad for pineapple
grenades. Something about it deteriorates something
In the explosive compound and they can blow with
Spoon and Pin in place. (Per the ex EOD person)

Anyone know if this is true?

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VaniB:

lol.....right up there with that  catfish almost pulled me up over the side of the boat.

....and.... That dog with jaws bigger than a bear

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VaniB:
Originally Posted By VidaEterna:
Door stopper and left a hole the size of a bus don’t jive.

lol.....right up there with that  catfish almost pulled me up over the side of the boat.

....and.... That dog with jaws bigger than a bear

It is likely the size of the crater grew with each retelling of the story.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

IN France, they've had UXO from World War ONE. HUGE sections of France (and iirc Belgium) are still cordoned off. And farmers in the "cleared" sections STILL plow them up! They put 'em at the side of the road and call the local police.
View Quote

Years ago a reporter was handed an artillery shell that sloshed. His guide said, "That's poison gas!"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 13MIKE:
A guy brought UXO into a marina near Camp Lejune a few years ago.

https://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news_times/article_a00952e2-cfa6-11ea-8edd-af66b9681081.html
View Quote

Tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

So extreme cold made the air dry and static did it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Originally Posted By oulufinn:
Dad's best friend, an army vet, had a large shell of some sort that he thought wasn't live, as a decoration hanging on his clothes line pole next to his garage. It blew a good size chunk of the garage wall out one cold 20 below night in the late 60's or early 70's.

The house took some shrapnel, but if it had been hanging on the other pole, their bedrooms would have taken a heck of a hit. Old Marvin took a lot of shit for that over the years!

So extreme cold made the air dry and static did it?

Not sure, but it blew the hell up. We used to play in the yard near it quite a bit. Timing was fortunate, for sure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jeepnstein:
I have a friend whose house was burning one night.  When the fire department arrived, he started preventing them from getting to work on the house.  The Chief was getting pretty heated with him over it when three hand grenades cooked off in fairly rapid succession.  A couple of guys working the scene recognized the sound for what it was.  They didn't complain so much about him slowing them down at that point.  His wife and kids were out of the house and he felt quite strongly that nobody needed to get hurt fighting a fire that was going to fight back.  

As far as anyone can ascertain, the grenades were somehow liberated from the USMC during the late 80's.  It was kind of a touchy subject.  I thought it was nearly impossible to rip off something like that but apparently where there's a will there's a way.  Wound up costing him almost everything he'd ever had.
View Quote

Munitions disappearing is a thing.  Your unit sends someone to the munitions depot with forms filled out by your battalion ammo guy, they pick up what ever is listed and take it to the range or demo area it’s going to be trained with and at the end of the training all the stuff is generally accounted for and returned.  Sometimes stuff like grenades don’t all get used but aren’t sent back and really can’t be accounted for like loose brass that is supposed to get turned in since the only real thing that can be accounted for is the pin and spoon and those can can be bought anywhere that sells surplus.  So a few frags walk away and are never to be seen again.  Also many times the depots don’t want stuff back especially stuff in small quantities like open cases of 5.56, 9mm what ever since it aperantly it’s a pain to log it back in so they tell folks to shoot it up or disappear it.  Lots of stuff not destined to go back often times was dumped or buried around FT. Bragg training areas when I was there and occasionally you would find stuff humping around the woods as an example I was a mortar guy for a while and we were humping around one of the ranges and I about tripped over a metal ammo can full of cheese charges.  For those that don’t know they were the proppelent for mortar rounds and they are supposed to be turned in for disposal but are generally put in a pile and set on fire to burn off and that’s that.  Well the tards who left these in an ammo can could of lit them up but decided to leave them on the range for the next group to deal with, so we did and burned them when we were done.  So long story short, yes these things can walk away if people are careless and or crooked and the stuff that goes boom can find its way off post especially when I was in since bases like Bragg were open at the time and didn’t have gate guards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DocBull:
Had a couple neighbors that were clearing on old nasty girl range near the apartment complex, private contractor EOD guys.  HOLY fuck the sheer volume of UXO old stuff btw ww2 and Korean war era stuff was enough to boggle mind that the hillside had not gone up several times over the years.
At the same time they were called to remove a few live WW2 rockets across town that were in a creek.

When we were looking for houses one of them they found a small stock pile of live pineapples that grandpa squirreled away.

View Quote

Never understood why people wouldn’t just remove the fuse from old grenades since from what I understand is it’s the fuse that cooks off in a fire or just gets super sensitive and fires and the stuff inside won’t go off in fire.  I could be wrong about that though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

Maybe it was a hot wheels bus.
View Quote

Or a bus garage door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Remember the old one about not swimming within 30 minutes of eating or you would get a cramp and drown?   LoL what bullshit we use to believe before the internet.
View Quote

It's also a line that you start using once you have kids and just want to chill out after lunch before going back to supervising kids in the water.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Palm:
My favorite urban legends are:

1.  “We are from the Federal Government and are here to help.”
2.  “The check is in the mail.”
3.  “I will still love you in the morning.”
View Quote

You omitted "Honest, it's just a cold sore."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Palm:
My favorite urban legends are:

1.  “We are from the Federal Government and are here to help.”
2.  “The check is in the mail.”
3.  “I will still love you in the morning.”

Cold sore = slang for oral herpes.

Were you thinking canker sore (eg. The one that ISN’T transmissible)?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother, who lived near Fort Ord, tells a story of some kids who "found" a Russian hand grenade. So they decided to take it to the forest and detonate it.
It was a Russian Spetznaz grenade, designed for " special " work, i.e. booby traps, so it was designed such that the fuse could be easily trimmed. The fuse on their grenade was set to zero seconds.
Fortunately, their dad got wind of it and delivered it to the proper authorities.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

It is likely the size of the crater grew with each retelling of the story.
View Quote

I never knew that tall tales were so corrosive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My brother, who lived near Fort Ord, tells a story of some kids who "found" a Russian hand grenade. So they decided to take it to the forest and detonate it.
It was a Russian Spetznaz grenade, designed for " special " work, i.e. booby traps, so it was designed such that the fuse could be easily trimmed. The fuse on their grenade was set to zero seconds.
Fortunately, their dad got wind of it and delivered it to the proper authorities.
View Quote

The zero second delay thing is pretty much an old wives tale. But they are easily boobytrapped in about a thousand other ways.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top