Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Playing with 440 and didn’t kill the juice?

You from Shickshinny?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ugh .... I hate electricity.  Voodoo I say.  And a 3 way switch is the devil.
Worst I got was getting zapped and thrown across an elevator MER.  440DC...that was NOT fun.
View Quote

I got hit by the 400VDC plate voltage on an old Altec-Lansing tube amplifier.  Threw me across the room as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Was putting up electric fence wire to keep sheep in.  Fencer was labeled as good for 15000 miles of good fence, 10000 miles of ok fence, or 5000 miles of fence in poor condition.  I couldn’t get more than a little tingle on the back of my hand.

In a flash of insight I realize how dry the ground is and that im wearing rubber sole shoes!

Seeing a “T” post nearby I grab it with my left hand and lay a finger from my right hand on the hot wire.

Holy crap! I went to my knees and thought i was dying right there!  A good ground changes things.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I trust your advice is grounded in reality?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to occasionally strip telephone wire with my teeth when doing PBX work. Then once I did it on a live pair splice that someone dialed while I was working on it and I caught 90VAC ringer voltage to the mouth. I threw myself back and ended up on the floor on my ass. It felt like someone shot a staple gun into my tongue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It hurts.

Got bit twice before yanking the breaker
View Quote

I'm sorry if it's rude OP, but I lol'd at your title and original post!

As an electrician, I've done some dumb stuff/taken shortcuts that got me bitten.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Working in the yard one evening trying to get ready for my sons wedding rehearsal BBQ I was close to being finished, had to pee and didnt want to stop and go into the house. Hey its my yard, nearly 2 acres of secluded wooden lot. No way anyone can see so I walked over to the side of my garden shed and  whipped it out and pee'd on an old piece of Romex that was hidden by a couple of bricks. At the same time my wife was walking out to tell me dinner was ready. She said she saw me whipping the pocket monster out was was about to yell and scare me when she said I started making the Gawd Awefullest noise she gad ever heard come from a human, watched me bolt straight up to attention, kinda vibrated a little bit and fell over backwards with my back arched, me still holding my "member" shooting a stream of urine up onto the roof of the shed. She ran over and still not sure what was going on thinking I was stroking out or worse to me peeing all over myself...and her. I was stunned pretty good.

Never, never EVER URINATE ON A LIVE WIRE.

I went in and found the unmarked breaker and marked it. Then installed lights on the garden shed.
View Quote

The most impressive part of the story is the stream going up onto the roof.  Kudos.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Impressive you pissed onto the roof while laying on the ground
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Working in the yard one evening trying to get ready for my sons wedding rehearsal BBQ I was close to being finished, had to pee and didnt want to stop and go into the house. Hey its my yard, nearly 2 acres of secluded wooden lot. No way anyone can see so I walked over to the side of my garden shed and  whipped it out and pee'd on an old piece of Romex that was hidden by a couple of bricks. At the same time my wife was walking out to tell me dinner was ready. She said she saw me whipping the pocket monster out was was about to yell and scare me when she said I started making the Gawd Awefullest noise she gad ever heard come from a human, watched me bolt straight up to attention, kinda vibrated a little bit and fell over backwards with my back arched, me still holding my "member" shooting a stream of urine up onto the roof of the shed. She ran over and still not sure what was going on thinking I was stroking out or worse to me peeing all over myself...and her. I was stunned pretty good.

I went in and found the unmarked breaker and marked it. Then installed lights on the garden shed.

Impressive you pissed onto the roof while laying on the ground
I'm sensing a little brag .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#9]
So did you really get zapped by "240"?

Or were you working on a 240 circuit and zapped by 120? Just one leg.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got hit by 10000 VDC once. Was working on a high voltage power supply for a Navy ESM equipment,  it would only fail after it heated up , so our division officer had us disable the deadman switch and make the voltage check connections on live gear. I should have wearing the big black rubber gloves but they got in the way of making the voltage check, so got rid of the glove. Next thing I saw was a large blue arc come off the top of a huge capacitor, it hit me on the back of my hand and came out my shoulder and burned through a skivvy shirt and a dungaree shirt and back into the equipment cabinet I was leaning against. Threw me back against the bulkhead and left me stunned, with a crater in my hand and another on my shoulder and an arm that didn't work for about 2 hours. Good times. Division officer about shit himself since he authorized everything we were doing. Electricity will definitely fuck up your day if you don't respect it.
View Quote

I was on a project where the union electricians were working on a multi-cabinet switchgear and had the covers removed and one of the cabinets de-energized. The guys working on it had on arc-flash gear so they were OK but the foreman did not.  They went to lunch and when they returned, the foreman reached into the cabinet, but he lost track of which cabinet they were working on and it was the wrong one, not de-energized.  Blew off his arm and blew a huge hole in his back.  He lived but never worked again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
The only thing that scares me worse than snakes is electricity. I was working in a German plant in Aynor, SC. They (the Germans) had me cutting light fixtures down with bolt cutters while standing on a scissor lift, 368v as I recall. I asked them if they cut the power...yeah..yeah the power is off they said. First one I cut into made a shower of sparks, scared me half to death, fortunately the bolt cutters had rubber grips. The Germans were just laughing. I didn't find anything funny about it. I double and triple check circuits before I work on electrical.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
E=IR
Get it wrong when you make contact and you’re no longer with us!
Get lucky and you post it on arfcom…

Dalziel, et al…
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]
can anyone recommend a book/study guide to learn the basics of how electricity works / terms / basic wiring etc ?

highschool age range stuff ?

genuine question

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Shock severity is not really voltage dependent; more to do with the moisture of the skin. Saltwater(sweat) is a good conductor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless he went line to line, the same.

Shock severity is not really voltage dependent; more to do with the moisture of the skin. Saltwater(sweat) is a good conductor.

I learned that the hard way working in a restaurant when one of the maintenance guy's half assed repairs on the fryer's heating element decided I was the least resistant path to ground.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Once was installing a fan in out bedroom, moved the hot ans neutral wire away, eh ground can stay, no shirt. Tingle, huh thought I moved those, tingle huh that's the ground. Put shirt on and finished the job.

Yeah, sounds like we all need to respect the voodoo that is electricity.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Playing with 440 and didn’t kill the juice?

You from Shickshinny?
View Quote

Yep, I was an idiot. In my defense I was young, stupid, and overly ballsy, lol...17 years old and had lied about my age to get the job. Good life-lesson though. Never did that again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It hurts.

Got bit twice before yanking the breaker
View Quote

Also another good hack: Don't do masonry work while naked and squatting over the next course.  It hurts, but the bright side is that expensive operation at the urologist can be canceled/postponed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
where's the video damn it
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would think you'd never want to work on "hot" 240v, but I am not an electrician.
View Quote

Some stuff is critical and cannot be stopped.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I touched 800vac 85khz once. It was extreme asmr tickles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Once was installing a fan in out bedroom, moved the hot ans neutral wire away, eh ground can stay, no shirt. Tingle, huh thought I moved those, tingle huh that's the ground. Put shirt on and finished the job.

Yeah, sounds like we all need to respect the voodoo that is electricity.
View Quote

Why does shirt on or off have to do with anything?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shocking, nonetheless.

It’s difficult to resist making jokes, but I think we all have the capacity to try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just happy that it's based on current events.

Shocking, nonetheless.

It’s difficult to resist making jokes, but I think we all have the capacity to try.

I think OP rode the short buss...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

And just like that, a new copy pasta was born.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So did you really get zapped by "240"?

Or were you working on a 240 circuit and zapped by 120? Just one leg.

View Quote

Probably just one leg, maybe both, I don't know.

I was only trying to clear the massive amount of shit out of the enclosure so I could start probing stuff out.  Cobs webs, leafs, dirt, etc.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do you not have a disconnect at the unit?
View Quote

BANG, YOU'RE DEAD!

St. Peter, to you...
"So, you remembered to cut the power at the box but you forgot to discharge the capacitor...here's your halo and your harp. Pick out a cloud
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
240 = I/1000ohms
.24 amps

Average person is 1k ohms hand to hand, hand to foot, foot to foot
500 ohms is used for hand to chest, foot to abdomen, etc

Each contact has different resistance values, moisture, callouses, body chemistry etc. Other sources of resistance include layers such as boot soles, gloves, clothing, condition/quality of insulating materials, etc.
Remember kids, everything is a conductor if we place enough voltage across it!

If you make contact and live, you were either lucky, or good at basic math!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Is it connected to a GFI?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ugh .... I hate electricity.  Voodoo I say.  And a 3 way switch is the devil.
Worst I got was getting zapped and thrown across an elevator MER.  440DC...that was NOT fun.
View Quote

I had a former co-worker get popped like that. Knocked him off of a 6' ladder onto his ass and took the tips of two fingers nearly off. He sat on the floor shaking and chain smoking cigarettes until we found him. Dumbass never ran a 1/4" fishtail in a elevator trough again.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was putting up electric fence wire to keep sheep in.  Fencer was labeled as good for 15000 miles of good fence, 10000 miles of ok fence, or 5000 miles of fence in poor condition.
View Quote

I think you're mis-remembering the number of zeros. I can only find fencers that do 200 or 300 miles of wire.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/power-wizard-pw18000-electric-fence-controller
https://www.zarebasystems.com/zareba-reg-200-mile-ac-low-impedance-charger-eac200m-z
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Would you consider this a positive or negative experience? Or are you neutral on the subject?  I'm sure you'll be better grounded in the future from this lesson.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Another example of old Darwin not quite getting his man.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I will do basic 110v stuff while its live, change an outlet or switch... but 220-240v? oh hell no... I have seen people electrocuted, and done CPR on people after touching primary feeds into transformers... while their fingers are missing, and they have burn spots on their heels through their shoes...

If I can't find the breaker, I'd kill the whole house before I get handsy with a 240v line.

But I'm not a professional, and I like my fingers, so there's that...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Medical X-Ray systems finishing up the calibration of a new twin 150KV 1,000 MAH three phase controls in a carbon & copper floored OR special procedures room. Both systems power was 480 VAC three phase.

while setting on the carbon floor and probing a circuit board I accidentally brushes the back of my R hand across a main line power relay. Knuckles made contact and the current path was up the R arm across to the spine and down to where my butt cheeks contacted the carbon floor. It was about 6 feet to the wall behind me and my legs pushed back there instantly.

End cause of contact was that a shield had not been installed at the German plant before being shipped to USA.

Been bit more than a few times but that was the worst one.

Spent nearly 35 years in that field, but found computers in the end and switched careers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

BANG, YOU'RE DEAD!

St. Peter, to you...
"So, you remembered to cut the power at the box but you forgot to discharge the capacitor...here's your halo and your harp. Pick out a cloud
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you not have a disconnect at the unit?

BANG, YOU'RE DEAD!

St. Peter, to you...

Eh, I only do it for a living.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top