Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2023 2:34:41 AM EDT
I started two batches on Nov. 8th.

One an apple cider.  Starting gravity 1.048.  Just apple juice, a dash of pectic enzyme, and yeast.

The other, a cherry cider with a little bit of honey (8 oz for a 1 gallon batch).   Just cherry juice, honey, and yeast. SG of 1.065

Both with safcider AB-1

Just checked gravity... the straight apple cider appears done at .996.

The cherry cider is 1.008

I transferred the straight apple cider to secondary to try to let it clear some more.

The cherry cider I will check in a week or two and see if the gravity has dropped any.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a brewer but I would not be surprised to find out the anti-microbial properties of honey would kill some kinds of yeast.

In for the answer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Not a brewer but I would not be surprised to find out the anti-microbial properties of honey would kill some kinds of yeast.

In for the answer.
View Quote

I've made straight mead which uses honey as basically the only sugar. 2 or 3 pounds instead of 8 ounces.

Mead does seem to take alot longer to fully ferment, tho.  I always thought it was because of the higher gravity (1.100 to 1.120 or so) but that might only just be part of it.   Could be honey just takes longer to break down.

The cherry cider (with honey) I started is mostly done.  Only got maybe another 8 or 10 points left.    I'm glad I did the straight apple cider alongside it with the same yeast out of the same packet.   Makes for a good control.

Should know in a week.  I'll test the gravity again and if it has dropped any further, that will be a dead giveaway and a good thing to know for future recipes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My only experience with honey is putting .75lb of it in a Bells Hopslam clone recipe I've made a couple times, and it fermented out just fine in my normal ale timeframe (2-3 weeks).
My understanding is that honey is a simple sugar and should ferment quickly and completely.

I don't do ciders or meads, so can't comment on that, but I did try a hard seltzer recipe once, which is just sugar, water, and yeast nutrients.  It stalled about halfway through and never recovered.  I believe a yeast nutrient issue of some sort was the cause, even though I followed the directions exactly... there is nothing else it could be.
With beer, you have a lot of that stuff coming from the grain.  With cider/mead, I don't know.  But temp or nutrients would be my first guesses.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#4]
checked the cherry cider w/ honey again... 1.006.  Calling it done.   Added 30 grams of sugar for prime and 75 grams of xylitol for sweetener and bottled.

Not really sure why the cherry cider w/ honey didn't fully attenuate like the apple.  Both used the same yeast and fermented in the same location at the same time.  72-75 farenheit the entire time.  I gave them both plenty of air at the start and even gave some fermaid k to the cherry cider.

Only thing I can figure is maybe there's some complex sugar in the honey that safcider ab1 doesn't eat?   Or maybe the pH of the cherry cider was a little too low or something?   But I doubt that.

I might repeat this experiment but use red star cotes de blanc next time.

eta: I suppose the yeast could have died or stalled or something for whatever reason.  I hope that's not the case.  Otherwise I'm liable to have some grenades here in a couple of weeks if it restarts and finishes off that last 6 points of gravity plus the sugar I added to prime.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Andy2] [#5]
Just tried the cherry cider w/ honey.

Possibly my best cider yet.  I really like this one.   This might become a recurring recipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top