Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
N/M
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it’s not for eating. It’s just for looking through.
View Quote

I have several tins of English hard candy and one from Mauser too.
Quoted:
Precious metals aren't for SHTF, they're for inflation.
View Quote

Not at the current price but if you consider that they are artifically suppressed and are a bargain, they will protect against inflation
Quoted:
Metals are for post SHTF recovery.

Powder wrapped in brass and topped with lead coated copper are the metals for TSHTF
View Quote

Correct!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Data mining thread.

Why the fuck would anyone with half a brain go on public forums and talk about owning gold and silver or any untraceable assets?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Data mining thread.

Why the fuck would anyone with half a brain go on public forums and talk about owning gold and silver or any untraceable assets?
View Quote
True.   It's safer and normal here to discuss mortgaged brodozers and other depreciating assets.

I say the best thing to have in SHTF is physical fitness, but that mostly falls on deaf, fat ears.   Better to discuss hoarding insulin.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I was watching a history doc about the russians retaking the baltic states from the germans at the end of WWII. People were panicing at the port cities trying to get on a ship to sweden. they had already lived under communism for a couple years and knew what it was like, and also that it was likely permanent this time. Thousands and thousands were trying to buy rides on the few fishing boats not taken by the germans. The currency was no longer good because the russians were going to replace it soon and everyone knew it. the only people who made it to sweden either owned a boat already or had old gold coins or jewelry to pay for a ride.

Some latvians and estonians had to restart as poor refuges in sweden. Others got to live under stalin for the next 60 years. Both were bad but one is WAY better.

Always have a plan to get on that boat for you and your family.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I traded all my gold and silver for LaRue Dillos.

Suckers!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
lol …I blame all those shitty shtf books where the main character just knew “it” was gonna happen and just had bags and bags of silver and gold coins. Then he trades for all goods he needs from starving unprepared peasants and he and his family live like kings …..
View Quote

Somalians Teaching Ethnic Languages?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuck no I don’t have precious metals.

But I am a lead farmer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
OP 42 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gold and silver is the last thing I would buy for shtf
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No. I have 9mm, 5.56, 55 gallons of KY Jelly and a hot wife.
View Quote

this I love gd??????????
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This!

Gold and Silver are not for SHTF. They are for what comes after. It is to transfer wealth from one monetary system to another. Or for escaping an area with some wealth and starting over. Lots of people fleeing Europe in the 30’s and early 40’s smuggled gold to retain some wealth.

I don’t understand why so few understand this concept.
View Quote

precious gems are more portable and a can of worms too lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]

that must be the forever fap size
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I made a thread on this a couple weeks ago because I wouldn't trade anything for metal with all the fakes, uselessness, etc. it went like 8 pages with some bitching.

TLDR: metals are for after shtf or maybe an emergency if you can find a boomer that will help you and actually wants it.

That 1911 posted above is pretty fucking sweet though. A dozen of those maybe.. they'd always be highly valuable to local warlords.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I love these people who fondle krugerands
I guarantee your government will be along to steal your metal when they want it. hell fdr banned gold ownership for decades so there's even precedent.

if it comes time to cash it in for the new coin of the realm they'll be looking for you and anyone who knows you have it will Dime on you for the bounty or favors offered by government.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
PM's are for AFTER SHTF, not during.  Also, don't confuse TEOTWAWKI with SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I like to buy that Bitcoin stuff so when the Internet goes down I will not be able to trade it.

Just kidding.  I am not that stupid.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#20]
How many threads are going to be created for this subject?  

Quick answer is NO.  The only people that care about this are a very small segment of society.  It also depends on what kind of SHTF scenario, location, timeframe, and action plan (run, hide, fight).
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
no gold or silver but I do have plenty of lead copper and brass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

May be wrong but I'm going with this.  Goods/ammo to me would be worth far more.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#23]
No, just lead - John Chism

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. It is far better to be able to grow/raise a surplus of food. Food will be the currency of survival.  We grow much of our own vegetables. We had 120 lambs and kids born this spring. We can eat them and sell the surplus. I will have more next year and the year after. I'll trade for other goods and services. Good luck trying to eat gold and silver. When you run out of gold and silver, then what?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Warlords don't  barter, son.
View Quote

Warlords don't live long when everyone is armed either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have uranium.
View Quote

Now we're talking. Instant glow sticks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Silver yes gold no

1 oz of silver will be easier to trade for goods then 1 oz of gold.

No one will be giving change on trades of goods during a SHTF.

You might up using a 1 oz of gold for food, water or ammo vs a few oz's of silver or 1 oz of silver per item.

Cash money will be worthless after 7 days or sooner in SHTF.

The best currency would be sugar, salt, medical supplies, booze, drugs, medications, ammo, food, and water. Hell maybe even toliet paper will be worth its weight in gold ???????
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bet my anti-gun neighbors have plenty of silver and gold for SHTF….
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet my anti-gun neighbors have plenty of silver and gold for SHTF….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#29]
APMEX was my go to for quite a loooong time.

Recently sold my silver stack, dont think I'll dip back in that hole again.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How do you tell if something is real or fake, when all the apps etc will be down?

I am aware of acid tests you can do, but doesn’t that mar the value of the coin?

That is before we even get into things like white gold, etc..

My current plan is to have enough food and ammo to trade for gold for later…
View Quote

Get a small neodymium magnet.  Hold the coin or bar at a 45 deg angle and slide the magnet across it's face.  If the magnet quickly slides off, its fake.   If it slides slowly across and seems to be 'sticky', then its real gold/silver.   These metals are non magnetic but a magnetic field is created when a strong magnet moves across it's surface, so that field will slow the magnet from quickly sliding off.   This is the test I use.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#31]
The member that was in the baltic states during their war told you what was in demand and valuable. Can of SPAM or a roll of TP was worth a lot.  You couldnt eat silver or gold.

As someone said a case of .22LR would be supremely useful for many reasons.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Gold is for buying other countries currency after yours turns worthless.

Show up to New Zealand with 3 pounds of fiat currency from a collapsed country and 3 pounds of gold and see which goes further.

Currently the likelihood of that happening is small, but growing, non zero number.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Weimar and Mad Max are two different scenarios. One you need gold, the other you need lead…

You can weigh, measure, ring and use a magnet to determine if you’re dealing with a fake.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#34]
No

I have guns, ammo, body armor, clothes, food and water
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, you buy it for after SHTF. It’s for wealth preservation, not buying bread or pints of liquor from dudes that slayed 18 zombies to bring it to you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Skills and tools smarter investment.

It all depends upon what kind of caca hit's the great oscillator of life...

Only faith in God's Son is a better investment for what's coming for us all eventually.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was watching a history doc about the russians retaking the baltic states from the germans at the end of WWII. People were panicing at the port cities trying to get on a ship to sweden. they had already lived under communism for a couple years and knew what it was like, and also that it was likely permanent this time. Thousands and thousands were trying to buy rides on the few fishing boats not taken by the germans. The currency was no longer good because the russians were going to replace it soon and everyone knew it. the only people who made it to sweden either owned a boat already or had old gold coins or jewelry to pay for a ride.

Some latvians and estonians had to restart as poor refuges in sweden. Others got to live under stalin for the next 60 years. Both were bad but one is WAY better.

Always have a plan to get on that boat for you and your family.
View Quote

Add 25-years to the story and change it to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#38]

I'm not gonna worry about it, I have plenty of lead.
Considering where I live, I don't think I'll have much of much
of a chance to barter.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Magnet slide is pretty useful for checking silver. It can be done with any strong magnet and a known good coin to compare against.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#40]
i have liquor and lead, choose wisely my friend
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#41]
No.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I question the wisdom of trading anything for ammo with strangers post HTF.

Talk about selling the hangman his rope....
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I question the wisdom of trading anything for ammo with strangers post HTF.

Talk about selling the hangman his rope....
View Quote
I would be leery of trading it with strangers but it could certainly be useful for trading with friends, family and acquaintances.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Silver yes gold no

1 oz of silver will be easier to trade for goods then 1 oz of gold.

No one will be giving change on trades of goods during a SHTF.

You might up using a 1 oz of gold for food, water or ammo vs a few oz's of silver or 1 oz of silver per item.

Cash money will be worthless after 7 days or sooner in SHTF.

The best currency would be sugar, salt, medical supplies, booze, drugs, medications, ammo, food, and water. Hell maybe even toliet paper will be worth its weight in gold
View Quote
The problem with silver is it takes up to much space. One of the primary uses for keeping metals is portability of wealth. Carrying $100k of silver to a new location is kinda difficult. $100k of gold is done fairly easily.

$10mil in btc is even easier than $100k of gold and far less likely to get you stopped at a border.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#45]
The shit is hitting the fan every fucking day on someone here - my wife has cancer, I lost my job, my company is going out-of-business, I wrecked my bro' dozer ... there's so much shit now that someone is always getting hit with it.

After loosing your job, wife's income, or getting hit with a billion things in life whip out your crate of .22 ammo and see how much rent that pays, or if it fixes your truck. I'm not sure what the second hand market is like in your 'hood for ammo but I would be working fucking hard to sell $6000 in an afternoon, more likely months. Or I could pick up 3 ounces of gold and have the cash in my hand 10 minutes after arriving.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Somalians Teaching Ethnic Languages?
View Quote

Getting closer
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#47]
No, I have lead.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just lead.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I have two whole ounces of silver somewhere around here, so you could say I’m pretty well prepared.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eating. It's just for looking through.
View Quote

Is your horse pulling a wagon in Kansas?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top