User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Ever seen a pro golfer bench 500 or squat 600?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

Ever see a pro powerlifter or body builder try and swing a golf club?

The problem with questions like this here is everyone speaks in absolutes when there are plenty of exceptions

For 99% of the population they don’t have to worry about being muscle bound and whether it would affect their performance

But it is possible for some people to have an access of muscle hinder them in performance at certain tasks

What a golfer can bench has nothing to do with this thread.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Everyone I’ve known that does yoga is inflexible and lacks nimbleness.

Chicken egg, I dunno, but it is what it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RustedAce:
Originally Posted By JET55:

Bullshit, it promotes a specific range of motion. Yoga promotes way more ranges. Stupidest shit I’ve read today.

Everyone I’ve known that does yoga is inflexible and lacks nimbleness.

Chicken egg, I dunno, but it is what it is.

You have an aspect to lifting that is less prevalent to non-existant in yoga/stretching ; growth hormone response.  This increases collegen production in ligaments and tendons . ...not just the areas you worked , but all over.  That's another misconception about lifting , that it only benefits the areas you worked.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Actually my mom's boyfriend when I was in high school was a pro natural bodybuilder and an avid golfer.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:
I think I have observed a situation that might explain it.

A couple times in my life, I have worked with some guys who really loved their time in the gym. Extremely dedicated to it, took the supplements and all, and the results definitely showed.

If we were to go to the gym, they would undoubtedly outperform me in every exercise.

In the real world, though, I found myself to be “stronger”.

It was as if all the muscle they had developed through controlled exercises had either given them a mentality they were so strong they didn’t need to use any technique. They weren’t particularly good at looking at a problem in the real world and determining the best vantage point, the best angles, using leverage or their body weight to their advantage. They would just try to brute force their way through, which of course doesn’t always work with things very heavy or very awkward.

Basically being able to squat 500 pounds in the gym doesn’t frequently translate as a useful life skill as most 500 pound objects don’t have a conveniently shaped and placed handle right in the middle of the load.

It’s not that they are actually disabled physically by their muscle, it’s a mental conditioning issue. That’s how I see it.

Probably because your biased against lifting. Or your friends weren't very strong. I've seen guys in the gym for 10 years that never actually progress.

I can guarantee you that pushing 400lb barrels of bait down with a handcart is easier with a 500lbs squat.

Every physical task is easier the stronger you get.

The problem with questions like this here is everyone speaks in absolutes when there are plenty of exceptions

For 99% of the population they don’t have to worry about being muscle bound and whether it would affect their performance

But it is possible for some people to have an access of muscle hinder them in performance at certain tasks

Actually my mom's boyfriend when I was in high school was a pro natural bodybuilder and an avid golfer.

And you don’t think his golf swing would have been better if he looked like Dustin Johnson or Tiger Woods or the like?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
A person is much more likely to suffer decreased range of motion due to having too much fat. There is an upper limit for adding muscle without the use of chemical help. Now if we're talking about juicing, then hell yeah, you can be too muscle bound.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#5]

And you don’t think his golf swing would have been better if he looked like Dustin Johnson or Tiger Woods or the like?
View Quote

Bulking up did nothing for Tigers game…
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ICU:

View All Quotes

My bench jumped like 80 lbs and did nothing for my Chess game.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
I don't care what others do with their lives
as long as it doesn't affect me or our society.

Be an obsessed body builder and juice if you like,
it's your body.

View Quote

This is where I'm at on the subject as well. I never needed to go to the gym because I worked for a living. I've been on the job since I was old enough to hold a broom. Went full time at 16 and ran my own drywall buisness by 24. I had work muscles on top of muscular prone genetics from my fathers side of the family. At 49 I can still out work, lift, and out fight much younger men and I've been retired for the last 6 years.
It was hard work and long hours but it made me a very good living and turned a boy into a man in a few short years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:53:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#8]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:
Lifting actually promotes flexibility. Moreso than yoga bullshit . Sure , a person can have acute soreness/stiffness from working out but that will go away .
View Quote

I don't know about that. Studies have shown stretching alone can increase strength.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

I don't know about that. Studies have shown stretching alone can increase strength.
View Quote

Ok by how much?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#10]

View All Quotes

Neither does “Ever see a pro powerlifter or body builder try and swing a golf club?”  That was my point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Tiger never got any where close to having the muscle of a natural body builder.

The OP asks if it’s possible to be too muscle bound for some tasks.

The answer is yes but only under very specific circumstances that 99% of the world needs to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Neither does “Ever see a pro powerlifter or body builder try and swing a golf club?”  That was my point.
View All Quotes

That thread asked “is it possible to be too muscle bound”

Yes. A professional powerlifter is too muscle bound to most EFFECTIVELY swing a golf club

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#13]

That thread asked “is it possible to be too muscle bound”

Yes. A professional powerlifter is too muscle bound to most EFFECTIVELY swing a golf club

View Quote

You’re right.  I’m sure most professional bodybuilders and power lifters quit the sport because it screws up their long iron game.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#14]
To be " musclebound" is a misconception. If there were an actual "musclebound" state it would more accurately be a transient condition where a visibly muscular person may be dehydrated , low in magnesium from overworking ,  have inflammation in a opposing muscle group , or from an illness.

The very act of lifting stretches ligaments and tendons well beyond what ever yoga/strecting routine can do . After all , that's what muscles are attached to . And , the physiological response for repair is much stronger than just yoga/stretching .
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#15]

Tiger never got any where close to having the muscle of a natural body builder.

The OP asks if it’s possible to be too muscle bound for some tasks.

The answer is yes but only under very specific circumstances that 99% of the world needs to worry about.
View Quote

You dont need to look like lee priest to be muscle bound. Just enough to change your normal range of motion can effect your daily tasks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:16:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLOCKshooter] [#16]
Do Bodybuilders Need Mobility Work?

This visdo explores it. timestamp 7:00 specifically, 4:00 generally.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfGi8W9j9gQ

This visdo explores it. timestamp 7:00 specifically, 4:00 generally.
View Quote

Having less ROM from physical hypertrophy shouldn't be confused with less flexibility however ...as some here will do . The flexibility issue is reflected in the connective tissue itself . Or ....people with flexibility issues will have ROM problems , but people with ROM issues may not have flexibility issues .
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, the ration of lung/heartsize and cardio capacity isn't increasing at the rate the muscle mass is and won't get supplied sufficiently to source the necessary requirements a high cardio stress load will put on the body.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:
Well, do you?

As in your greater muscle mass slows you down or otherwise inhibits you

The dictionary definition:

1: having some of the muscles tense and enlarged
and of impaired elasticity sometimes as a result of excessive exercise
2: lacking in flexibility : RIGID
View Quote
View Quote

No, I stretch. A lot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Peak Ronnie Coleman May have been getting to the level of too much , MAY have been
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

A couple times in my life, I have worked with some guys who really loved their time in the gym. Extremely dedicated to it, took the supplements and all, and the results definitely showed.

If we were to go to the gym, they would undoubtedly outperform me in every exercise.

It was as if all the muscle they had developed through controlled exercises had either given them a mentality they were so strong they didn’t need to use any technique. They weren’t particularly good at looking at a problem in the real world and determining the best vantage point, the best angles, using leverage or their body weight to their advantage. They would just try to brute force their way through, which of course doesn’t always work with things very heavy or very awkward.

Basically being able to squat 500 pounds in the gym doesn’t frequently translate as a useful life skill as most 500 pound objects don’t have a conveniently shaped and placed handle right in the middle of the load.

It’s not that they are actually disabled physically by their muscle, it’s a mental conditioning issue. That’s how I see it.

Probably because your biased against lifting. Or your friends weren't very strong. I've seen guys in the gym for 10 years that never actually progress.

I can guarantee you that pushing 400lb barrels of bait down with a handcart is easier with a 500lbs squat.

Personally I think golf is stupid and I wouldn't know a good golf swing from a bad one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:

This is where I'm at on the subject as well. I never needed to go to the gym because I worked for a living. I've been on the job since I was old enough to hold a broom. Went full time at 16 and ran my own drywall buisness by 24. I had work muscles on top of muscular prone genetics from my fathers side of the family. At 49 I can still out work, lift, and out fight much younger men and I've been retired for the last 6 years.
It was hard work and long hours but it made me a very good living and turned a boy into a man in a few short years.
View All Quotes

it's your body.

I thought that when I worked construction too. It is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I've worked out for years and I'm pretty muscular, but that said, I go through periods of inactivity and that usually depresses me and I'll get back into it and the cycle repeats.

I have no desire to look like Mr. Olympia, I'm pretty sure that most women don't find that attractive and at that point, you're only really impressing dudes.

Good sized arms, a defined chest and shoulders, no chicken legs and still having mobility is the ultimate goal, without having to work out for an hour a day.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Bulking up did nothing for Tigers game
View Quote
Golf usually promotes greater cussing ability and vocabulary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
It definitely slows me down on longer runs.

Sprints and a mile run I've actually got my fastest mile at  220. But my fastest 10 mile at 198.
View Quote

I dropped in to say this. The answer is, "it depends." It depends on what you're doing.  If you're body building or just doing it for the aesthetic, then it makes sense. There's a reason why these MMA fighters aren't huge, Thanos-looking fuckers. That much muscle requires a lot of oxygen to continue working.

From a practicality perspective, being huge doesn't make much sense, IMHO. Being strong, agile, and having endurance are of much more use in my book, but to each their own.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#26]
For fucks sake, you need all three: strength, cardio, flexibility.  People who only lift are depriving themselves of their full physical potential.  Same goes for people who only do cardio or stretching.  I enjoy lifting 3x a week, cardio 5x and I stretch before and after exercises.  Cardio is a mix of running, cycling and swimming.  

Get fit, don’t rationalize absence of training. Quality of life is sooooo much better when you are fit and strong.  I’m 56 and still enjoy backpacking with my sons, triathlons, scuba diving, and being able to put in a hard day of work in the garden.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#27]
In high-school wrestling I was 160 lbs. middleweight. After high-school when I got into bodybuilding full-time I was 200 lbs. and shredded! I definitely felt heavier, bulkier, and not as fast though my strength was definitely increased. If I could go back though I'd say I preferred being lean and faster than heavier and stronger. Plusses and minuses. Clothes definitely fit better, my legs are so shredded that even regular relaxed fit pants end up fitting like skinny jeans on me and I can't f'n stand lame ass skinny jeans.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel terrible if I don’t regularly lift stuff and move but can’t really lift weights anymore. Getting harder to find that middle ground each year. Can’t stand or sit too much. Can’t hardly run or jump.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

it's your body.

Probably not

Even after 12 hour days hauling in 300-500 lobster traps I still went to the gym. I started my last 2 summers in high school and then went back after I got out of the Marines. Every aspect of manual labor is easier if your stronger.

Being stronger is an asset to everyone around you
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

That's nothing more than a technique issue.

In the real world, given two people of equal skill level when performing a task, the stronger one will pretty much always be able to get more work done in a given amount of time.

Mental toughness is a factor in a lot of labor type work, but mostly it's simply skill and repetitive motion training.

Strength training has only ever improved my ability to perform work in the real world, never hindered it in any way except for the few times when I didn't plan right and ended up going to work sore or fatigued from a hard workout, but that was a recovery issue, not a fault of the training.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I've seen it play out a million times at work. Stronger people are better at tasks once properly trained on them.

Now of course we have had guys that had very little tolerance for discomfort that were strong as an ox, but didn't amount to much because if they got a cut on their hand or something they were at the trailer for an hour bandaging it up, that's just a mental hurdle though, it didn't mean they couldn't sling forms better than the guy next to them that was smaller and weaker.

I have a kid right now that works for me that has no quit in him, but we have to delegate tasks a certain way because he's too weak for some things. Last week we were using 16' beams as shoring under a deck pour and two guys had to lift and hold them while someone put in two jack posts. He had to be the jack post man because he was physically unable to lift and hold a beam over his head for 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FALex:

I dropped in to say this. The answer is, "it depends." It depends on what you're doing.  If you're body building or just doing it for the aesthetic, then it makes sense. There's a reason why these MMA fighters aren't huge, Thanos-looking fuckers. That much muscle requires a lot of oxygen to continue working.

From a practicality perspective, being huge doesn't make much sense, IMHO. Being strong, agile, and having endurance are of much more use in my book, but to each their own.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALex:
It definitely slows me down on longer runs.

Sprints and a mile run I've actually got my fastest mile at  220. But my fastest 10 mile at 198.

There's plenty of bigger guys. There's more smaller fighters because there's more smaller people in general.  If there were no weight classes there would be much fewer small guys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Probably not

Even after 12 hour days hauling in 300-500 lobster traps I still went to the gym. I started my last 2 summers in high school and then went back after I got out of the Marines. Every aspect of manual labor is easier if your stronger.

View All Quotes

it's your body.

Probably not

I'm in my spring rush right now and have only been lifting on Sundays for the last 3 weeks. Kind of annoying because I was really consistent this winter.

I have to ration my recovery though, running the business and working it just wrecks me this time of year. I didn't get off a floor until 8pm last night and we had to be on site again at 6am this morning, I was pretty shot.

Going to stretch tonight and get a good night's sleep, then lift tomorrow afternoon before our hell of a week next week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Lesnar and Slice come to mind. Slow hands and tire quickly. Bob Sapp is another one off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm not a big guy, but I can't reach my seatbelt without using my left arm to pull my right arm far enough behind me to grab the seatbelt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
My pecs and biceps are so large, I have to hire someone to wipe my ass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Do yall think you can have too high of a V02 max?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#38]
What about too low of a resting heart rate?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
What about too low of a resting heart rate?
View Quote

Well zero to ten is probably too low!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:32:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#40]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Ok by how much?
View Quote

At least as much as lifting in this study. I have read studies in the past that says stretching alone can increase strength by 30%.

Stretching VS Lifting 8 week study:
"Surprisingly, results demonstrated significant increases in strength, muscle thickness, and flexibility for both the stretching and resistance training groups.

What's more, there was no significant difference between these two groups, with researchers concluding that static stretching could be as effective as resistance training in gaining strength and size. The stretching group showed a notable increase in flexibility compared to the lifting group."  

-That last part is particularly relevant to the post I quoted. Only someone thats never taken a yoga class would call it bullshit.

Men's health article.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:

At least as much as lifting in this study. I have read studies in the past that says stretching alone can increase strength by 30%.

Stretching VS Lifting 8 week study:
"Surprisingly, results demonstrated significant increases in strength, muscle thickness, and flexibility for both the stretching and resistance training groups.

What's more, there was no significant difference between these two groups, with researchers concluding that static stretching could be as effective as resistance training in gaining strength and size. The stretching group showed a notable increase in flexibility compared to the lifting group."  

-That last part is particularly relevant to the post I quoted. Only someone thats never taken a yoga class would call it bullshit.

Men's health article.

View Quote

That's retarded. By lifting, do they mean 2.5 lb dumbbells?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're a meathead, joint mobility is something you WILL have to work on as you get older.

That's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I lift pretty heavy in the gym, but I don't want to move ANYTHING heavy outside the gym. You are not wrong, I am strong with very specific movements. Mostly I'm afraid of hurting myself lifting something stupid and having to take a break from lifting in the gym.

There's a small but heavy safe at work that needs to be moved into a different office. I told the staff "call maintenance for that - I'm not moving it". It's just not worth it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Jeep Swenson couldn't even walk up a few steps to enter a restaurant. I can't imagine people like him could have good hygiene.

It's definitely better than being fat, but not by much
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top