Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2023 12:53:59 PM EDT
I am not alone in finding it highly annoying when the dupe police come out in force or when a mod locks a thread from being a dupe. Not everyone browses arfcom the same way. The hardcore GD'rs stay in GD so they use arfcom by what is current in GD, then you have others who browse arfcom based on what topics are active then you have those like me who browse arfcom via Newest Topics so we can see other topics interesting such as the Tech sections where I also like to assist when I can. It is no secret the arfcom search function is in need of some work but more so we don't all create titles with the same keyword to search from making it no simple task to know if a thread is a duplicate.

Being logical about it, some visit during different times of the day so a thread created yesterday will not be bumped to the top in GD or Active listings thus inviting a new batch of users to participate in the thread topic.

It is my humble site suggestion and I will not be offended in the least if it does not align with Arfcom's idea of improvement, I appreciate the ear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 12:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBOOT99] [#1]
Defund the dupe police.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
People should check for the existing five threads on the same topic before they get in a hurry to post what they think is a breaking topic.
If you cant take the time to at least scan the first ten pages for an existing thread on that topic, don't post it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It's just internet space and an outlet for some. It's also not always a breaking topic that gets protected and served.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quite often my first exposure to a topic is via dupe.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#5]
What else would TheTallest do, if not act as dupe monitor?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is a dupe because it's been discussed before.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Quite often my first exposure to a topic is via dupe.

View Quote
At least 87% of all the threads I subscribe to and read are like this ^
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
So you would rather sit in a dead thread with 5 replies rather than being referred to and participating in the original, active, possibly multi-page thread to see what the discussion is/was actually about?

Dupe threads are invariably less "successful" than the original because most people are or have already participated in the original.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Ban the dupe police!

Nobody cares if it's a dupe and sometimes the dupe is the first time many people see the topic. Stop trying to virtue signal and shut the fuck up. Nobody likes you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
People should check for the existing five threads on the same topic before they get in a hurry to post what they think is a breaking topic.
If you cant take the time to at least scan the first ten pages for an existing thread on that topic, don't post it.
View Quote

You're not the boss of me.  EffOff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Or maybe improve the search function.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
Or maybe improve the search function.
View Quote

Yes, that would help.  But one problem is that original posters don't put proper search terms in the subject line that would allow for finding the topic.

Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to see the site implement a "live search" that displays similar thread titles, or even better: displays page text/urls that closely matches what you are trying to post.

Mozilla Bugzilla does a great version of this in their ticketing system
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Defund the parody police.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
Defund the parody police.
View Quote
Some of those are really funny lol
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I dunno.

I rather enjoy stumbling over 5 threads on the same subject by the same author. Especially when they participate in maybe 2 of them.

Redundancy keeps things interesting.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top