Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 8:15:02 AM EDT
I'm looking for a camera to capture accidents or exciting events during a ride. I'm stuck between the convenience of a permanent dash cam and the versatility of an action cam.  I'm looking at the Innovv K7 (pre-order) and the Insta360 X4 or DJI Osmo 4 for their battery life.

Any experiences with these?

The down side to action cams is the battery life, and I can run through them during a day ride.  But the upside is the video clarity.  The dash cam would be automated and something I could forget is even there but I can't detach it and bring it with me when we go on our adventures.

Maybe this is a "get both" scenario, but I'm not a motovlogger so I don't need both.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Torque556:
I'm looking for a camera to capture accidents or exciting events during a ride. I'm stuck between the convenience of a permanent dash cam and the versatility of an action cam.  I'm looking at the Innovv K7 (pre-order) and the Insta360 X4 or DJI Osmo 4 for their battery life.

Any experiences with these?

The down side to action cams is the battery life, and I can run through them during a day ride.  But the upside is the video clarity.  The dash cam would be automated and something I could forget is even there but I can't detach it and bring it with me when we go on our adventures.

Maybe this is a "get both" scenario, but I'm not a motovlogger so I don't need both.
View Quote
There are a few companies that made a power harness for GoPro cameras. Wire the harness to your bike, then it's the USB cable to your camera.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Full face helmet with gopro.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The Innovv line always gets good marks. Front and rear coverage. You can get from 1080 to 4k, priced accordingly. Here’s a link for the 4k innovv-k5

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are making videos, the Insta360 is unbeatable for 'camera moves' during the edit.  Imagine would be nice as a 'dash' camera too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
The Innovv line always gets good marks. Front and rear coverage. You can get from 1080 to 4k, priced accordingly. Here’s a link for the 4k innovv-k5

View Quote

I like the idea of the Innovv K5 but the front camera will be a bit big for me to tuck the camera somewhere that isn't an eyesore.  After all, looking cool is the most important thing on a motorcycle!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 0100010:
If you are making videos, the Insta360 is unbeatable for 'camera moves' during the edit.  Imagine would be nice as a 'dash' camera too.
View Quote

It's why I'm looking at the 360 for the full coverage.  If I mount it in front it'll likely at least cover my blind spots, just not directly behind me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought the Insta 360 last week over at Road Atlanta.  Still playing with getting to know it, but it’s a very good camera.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]

I like the idea of the Innovv K5 but the front camera will be a bit big for me to tuck the camera somewhere that isn't an eyesore.  After all, looking cool is the most important thing on a motorcycle!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:

I went with the Innovv. Works really well.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: snaggletooth1925] [#9]
1000% get a perm dash camera. I can upload a video just a or screenshot from a video from a cloud drive on my phone but a semi cut across 2 lanes to make a wide right turn and it was all caught by my Innovv (k2 I believe). I not have a K5 on my current bike. I havent messed with them but if you want an action camera as well you can look into the Sena bolt on unit or the helmet that has on integrated.Attachment Attached File

ETA the screenshot is from a K1.And dont let the horrible screenshot fool you. The video is clear as day and the K5 is even better
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Nice rocket!

I was outside just a minute ago looking for places to mount the K7 camera if I go that route.  Its tough on a naked bike!  I'm thinking below the front "fairing" or on the clutch reservoir mount for the front, and on the license plate for the rear.

If I go with an action camera I'd probably mount it to the mirror stud or handlebar directly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
I have an Insta360, and while it works great, battery life is certainly an issue. For OP's needs I don't think it would work as well as other suggested options.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:17:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torque556] [#12]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
I have an Insta360, and while it works great, battery life is certainly an issue. For OP's needs I don't think it would work as well as other suggested options.
View All Quotes

The new X4 claims 135 minutes of battery life, on par with the DJI and better than the GoPro.  At least they also have quick replacement batteries.  But I tend to agree that it would be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#13]

The new X4 claims 135 minutes of battery life, on par with the DJI and better than the GoPro.  At least they also have quick replacement batteries.  But I tend to agree that it would be an issue.
View All Quotes

I only use mine for 10-30 minutes at a time, so the battery life is a problem that I can work around. I could probably get much more out of it with the charging dock plugged into an external battery pack or USB port, just haven't found a need for that yet. That said it is easy to use and so far the quality had been really good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I ordered the Innovv K7 (shipping mid May).  I figure I can always pick up a 360 later if I still find myself wanting it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top