Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2023 1:35:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak]
Is there anything a DSLR (Nikon D750) does better than a mirrorless?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The view finder on a mirrorless is a digital screen.  They give me a severe headache.  I can't use them.  I have to stick to DSLR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheaper and if you already have lenses that accommodate the frame size of your DSLR you may have to get new lenses to take advantage of the capabilities of a full frame mirrorless.

Have you poked around here?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#3]
Thanks @Hard_Rock. That is enough of a reason to stay DSLR.

I have had a D600 (one without the shutter problems) for 8 years. I have been a little disappointed with the viewfinder, it's has limited capability in dim light. Not bad enough to dump it but not good enough to forget about.

I've been looking for a good deal on a D750. Finally found one. I saw it on Craigslist 1 hour after it was listed and bought it today.

As @kraquine noted, lenses. I have a 24-200 F4 N lens I like but I was wanting something faster for low light. The D600 sometimes struggles to AF in low light. The guy was selling the D750 with a 50mm 1.4.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:54:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#4]
One of the things you are going to find with mirrorless cameras is that because they are newer technology overall, that the sensors, processing and autofocus are going to be better than their older DSLR counterparts, even with the same size sensors. And that's just because the camera companies are putting their R&D efforts into the mirrorless cameras.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#5]
Though the Z7ii is plenty capable at wildlife, it's just not as fast to focus as my old D850 BUT it will pick out the focus point (eye if close enough) consistently meaning I ultimately get more in focus shots actually composed how I want.   When taking people photos the Z7ii is far superior and allows me to concentrate on composition, especially at wider apertures.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm using a D780 now, but I loved my D750.     Great camera.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
For me it comes down to use case.

Around town I love my Nikon D7000. If I'm humping through the backcountry, the weight savings with the mirrorless is awesome.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:
View Quote

In general:
1. No "rolling shutter".
2. Better battery life.
3. No "shutter lag".

<- D850 and Z8
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tknogeek] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:
For me it comes down to use case.

Around town I love my Nikon D7000. If I'm humping through the backcountry, the weight savings with the mirrorless is awesome.
View Quote
There are some meaningful assumptions in this comparison. If the photographer moves from a D750 with the "trinity" lenses to a Fujifilm X-T4 and comparable lenses, then yes, the weight difference in the camera kit is substantial. Moving from a DSLR camera to a mirrorless and keeping an existing collection of lenses will result a very much smaller weight savings (especially if using f/2.8 lenses).
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:
The view finder on a mirrorless is a digital screen.  They give me a severe headache.  I can't use them.  I have to stick to DSLR.
View Quote

I'm curious whether this is due to the refresh rate and processing delay - especially in older mirrorless bodies. Modern EVFs like the ones in the Z9/Z8 may have resolved this for your situation. Maybe.

A high quality optical viewfinder remains the more "natural" option.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I am going to stick with my Nikon D7500 and Sony A6600, at least for the moment. On Youtube, there are rumors that Sony is coming out with a newer DX mirrorless cameras. For me the Nikon D7500 outperforms the A6600 in dim light. Sometimes the light is so dim that even with the focusing aid on, the A6600 won't release the shutter, but the D7500 is very reliable with it's annoying white light focusing aid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Uhh...you know the a6600 is a mirrorless camera, right?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
Though the Z7ii is plenty capable at wildlife, it's just not as fast to focus as my old D850 BUT it will pick out the focus point (eye if close enough) consistently meaning I ultimately get more in focus shots actually composed how I want.   When taking people photos the Z7ii is far superior and allows me to concentrate on composition, especially at wider apertures.
View Quote

It really depends on the type of photos you are taking, birds in flight? good luck, your next option is the z8 or z9 to be honest. It's the main reason I still haven't replaced my D500. More and more it looks like I will be upgrading to a Canon if Nikon doesn't replace the D500.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
DSLR beats mirrorless hugely with battery life.

That may or may not be a big deal for you; it is a big deal for me.

I left a 7200 on 24/7, taking intervalometer pictures, for a full year and only charged the battery 4 times.  In temps from 100 degrees to the low single digits.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a canon EOS R6 MK II mirrorless.  It is great.  The LCD Viewfinder is awesome.

Battery life is good, Shot a 3 hour concert last week, 3000 stills and a 5 minute 4k video, still battery left. Using f2.8 70 200 with lense and body images stabilization

I like that the focus, recompose step goes away.

I find that in low light conditions, ISO can be bumped higher than a dslr without noise.

I use mostly EF lenses with the adapter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Thinking my D4 and D700 with the big 3 lenses (and others) still have plenty of use left.  And the D700 has a "feel" that other bodies can't replicate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been shooting a D500 for awhile now. I have wanted to upgrade to mirrorless for several years but honestly the mirrorless hasn’t felt like the performance would keep up. To get the low light capabilities and speed I would have to spend a fortune. I have never been able to force myself to spend that much coin to save a few ounces.

And as FredMan points out - battery life is a thing. With a grip mounted and two batteries I can take a LOT of pictures before I need to recharge. With my older cameras (D70 and D90) they ran even longer…

If I were to go mirrorless, the A7c (presuming a Mark 2 soon) could get my attention…

-shooter
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#19]
shooter220: If battery life is a problem just get more batteries. I have 2 factory OEM batteries, but the rest are 3rd party, either from B&H or Adorama, those I recommend, don't know about the others from eBay etc. For me they work really well, they have almost the life an OEM, but at half the price. Besides life is too short to be concerned about the small stuff.

The Sony A7c is a full frame FX, where the Nikons you mentioned are crop-frame/DX. If you get the A7c, you will need a whole new set of lenses, and that can get expensive. But I find that 3rd party Tamrons and Sigmas work well. For me the crop-frame/DX format is the way to go, a good compromise between cost and weight.

I have also a Sony A6600, which I like, but the menu system is really complicated. It uses the bigger Sony NP-FZ100 rather than the smaller FW50. I am paranoid, I always have a spare battery and SD-card in my pocket, just in case. I had a brand-new factory Nikon battery that failed and it was nearly new, it didn't go the distance, good thing I had a spare.  I have experience failures in the most inopportune times, so I do carry some spares.

I have a Nikon D7500 that functions better for my purposes than my D500 especially in low-light with a flash, a few times the D500 would not release the shutter because it couldn't focus properly, but the D7500 works every time, but the white light focusing aid is PITA, some people consider it blinding. I recently had to send my Tamron 16-300 zoom for repair, I had worn out the focusing motor, this lense is discontinued, but I like it because it is light and compact, and costed the less than the equiv Nikon.

ETA: BTW Sony is about to introduce a newer A6xx camera, but I think I will stick my old one, it has served me well, and only use it when camera noise is a factor, I shoot available-light chamber music orchestra at my local HS.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Same as @warlord. I had situations where my D600 was unable to focus in low light situations. That was the driver for moving to a D750.

It is a great camera. No difference in IQ that I can discern but the low light and focus capabilities are much better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#21]
Same as @warlord. I had situations where my D600 was unable to focus in low light situations. That was the driver for moving to a D750.

It is a great camera. No difference in IQ that I can discern but the low light and focus capabilities are much better.
View Quote
I also experienced the same low-light problems with my Nikon D500 where the shutter will not release because it couldn't find focus, I like the D500, but unfortunately Nikon's ultra-low light scenarios with the non-blinding infrared beam technology is not enough; my D7500 works every time, but it has the annoying white-light focusing aid.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By warlord:
I also experienced the same low-light problems with my Nikon D500 where the shutter will not release because it couldn't find focus, I like the D500, but unfortunately Nikon's ultra-low light scenarios with the non-blinding infrared beam technology is not enough; my D7500 works every time, but it has the annoying white-light focusing aid.
View Quote

You probably know this, but you can change the shutter release setting so that it will trip regardless of focus.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#23]
shooter220:

The Sony A7c is a full frame FX, where the Nikons you mentioned are crop-frame/DX. If you get the A7c, you will need a whole new set of lenses, and that can get expensive. But I find that 3rd party Tamrons and Sigmas work well. For me the crop-frame/DX format is the way to go, a good compromise between cost and weight.

View Quote

I have been shooting Nikon gear since the 4004 debuted. I have a couple decades of lenses - mostly full frame, but a couple DX lenses as well. I feel like Nikon is leaving their legacy stuff behind with the number of things that aren’t really compatible. If I go mirrorless it will be to save space and weight, which will likely require lens investment as well.

Frankly, having just shoot a few hundred pictures in Europe with my D500 in manual mode for all things exposure I can’t see giving dumping it and spending a few grand on either a Nikon that would be an upgrade or a Sony that would need new lenses.

For several years (pre D500) every time I saved for a new camera I just wound up buying a “new” lens. Some of them are “pretty good” if a bit old. The D500 is a rockstar for youth sports, which is my most frequent use case with travel coming behind that. It isn’t the perfect travel camera, but it holds its own, especially leaving the grip at home! Those two use cases are at significant odds sometimes…reconciling them is always a fun choice of what to move in and out of the case!

-shooter

Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By shooter220:

I have been shooting Nikon gear since the 4004 debuted. I have a couple decades of lenses - mostly full frame, but a couple DX lenses as well. I feel like Nikon is leaving their legacy stuff behind with the number of things that aren’t really compatible. If I go mirrorless it will be to save space and weight, which will likely require lens investment as well.

Frankly, having just shoot a few hundred pictures in Europe with my D500 in manual mode for all things exposure I can’t see giving dumping it and spending a few grand on either a Nikon that would be an upgrade or a Sony that would need new lenses.

For several years (pre D500) every time I saved for a new camera I just wound up buying a “new” lens. Some of them are “pretty good” if a bit old. The D500 is a rockstar for youth sports, which is my most frequent use case with travel coming behind that. It isn’t the perfect travel camera, but it holds its own, especially leaving the grip at home! Those two use cases are at significant odds sometimes…reconciling them is always a fun choice of what to move in and out of the case!

-shooter

View Quote

D500 is best 500

D500 by FredMan, on Flickr

D500 + RRS Plate + MS3 Sling by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Yeah. Takes awesome pictures!
Nothing like looking through a real glass viewfinder at a REAL scene to do your composing.

I used a Canon A-1 mostly back in the day. First DSLR for me was a used Nikon D50 circa 2013-ish. Um. wwow. By 2016 I had an "issued" camera for crime scene photos. Canon Powershot. Who the hell is gonna look through that dinky eyehole when the whole backside is an aiming screen? Everything on that little camera was better than that D50. Or my A-1. No more worry about vibration of the mirror flapping around ruining the exposure, stuff like that. Even though I prefer DSLR film, the way is mirrorless. You can have both, however.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#26]
No more worry about vibration of the mirror flapping around ruining the exposure, stuff like that
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#27]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
Uhh...you know the a6600 is a mirrorless camera, right?
View Quote
Yes sir.... A6600 has the battery from the Sony's FX cameras.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

D500 is best 500

View Quote

Ummm, you seem to have misplaced 350 Dees.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 8:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK] [#29]
The mirror less screen allows for better visuals for me in low light.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#30]

-shooter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
shooter220:

The Sony A7c is a full frame FX, where the Nikons you mentioned are crop-frame/DX. If you get the A7c, you will need a whole new set of lenses, and that can get expensive. But I find that 3rd party Tamrons and Sigmas work well. For me the crop-frame/DX format is the way to go, a good compromise between cost and weight

-shooter
Your D500 will be more than adequate for your purposes for years to come. I would keep your lenses etc for at least another few years. The only reason I got the Sony A6600 is because I am asked to do photos for the chamber music at my local high school(those kids are really good, so I don't mind spending the $ for good equipment to encourage them. A few of them has gone on to become professional musicians, one is currently a violin for Los Angeles Opera). Anyways, being noiseless and unobtrusive is the watch word. Now if you got a job that pays real money for your photographic services, I would upgrade your equipment, but until then, your current equipment is more than adequate.

Yep, Nikon is currently emphasizing their mirrorless line, and can't compete against Canon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I've shot Nikon cameras since 1980. Film then digital. Portraiture, sports, editorial, weddings etc and have been very pleased with the cameras and lenses. Now I'm at the point in life where I felt I needed to make some changes, very few action sports events, mostly portraits, some street photography, editorial and a few weddings (damn few). So since my needs changed I have changed equipment. Now I shoot mostly Fuji x series cameras. I still have my Nikons and if I'm going to cover sports or wildlife I'm taking the D500, it's AF is amazing. Also have a D750 that's not getting a lot of use anymore but I've kept it just in case.

So for me a change to mirrorless made sense as my needs had changed. Every photographer is going to have a different group of requirements for their equipment. Right now if I was just getting into wildlife photography or sports coverage as more of a hobby or part time thing I'd look at a D500 and some good Nikon glass.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Mirrorless can adjust viewscreen brightness for tired eye.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Canon R6 full screen mirror less master race checking in.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I've used both, I prefer mirrorless mostly due to smaller size
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
View Quote

I got rid of my Canon R6.

Then I got an R6 mkII.  

R6 mkII is the true, more evolved master race.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a pair of old D300, and recently bought the wife a sony pro-sumer compact camera and the damn thing SMOKES my old nikon gear. only up side imo is the old DSLR stuff is being dumped in droves for mirrorless so you can finally almost afford to buy decent glass as a non pro.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Then I got an R6 mkII.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:

Then I got an R6 mkII.  

Me too. It is an awesome camera.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Just the viewfinder.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
View Quote

And micro four-thirds is smaller yet!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Just the viewfinder.
View Quote

Even that is debatable. Mirrorless EVFs can display everything the main screen can including image review and setting menus. But I've almost entirely moved away from using the viewfinder since the articulating rear screen allows me to hold the camera lower to the ground and still get the framing I want without having to lay down. It's a total game changer when I'm photographing my toddler. I wouldn't even consider a DSLR anymore.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I traded in my Canon kit (5d MK IV, full set of L lenses) for a Sony A7R III + GM lens set.  Mainly shoot 16-35 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 with a 24mm or 35mm prime for walking around.

I love some aspects of mirrorless, such as the instant rendering of the EVF, USB C charging, but I miss my OVF.  The whole point was to have a more compact set to take on vacations or keep handy.  

In fact, I miss it so much, I just ordered a whole Canon kit from B&H Used Dept.  

I miss charging a camera battery once a month, I miss seeing the scene, not the electronic screen.  If our family goes to the beach, I only bring my GoPro (which is a seriously understated family beach camera).  

I also can't get used to Sony's ergonomics.  I tried a Canon EOS R, but felt it was laggy and I was always waiting on it to catch up.  I feel like I'm taking a step back in time, but pixel peeping and saving 4 ounces can not replace the way an older DSLR body feels.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I used DSLR APS-C forever, I am totally in on mirrorless now. especially the Canon R5.
the viewfinder doesn't bother my eyes. I set the diopter to my eye since I don't wear glasses while making photos.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:57:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#44]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
View Quote
Yeah I hear you there. I am getting to the point where I am moving away from my Nikon D7500/D500 to Sony A6600/A6700. And the battery life on my Sony A6xxx, is quite good, BUT I do keep a 2 extra spare batteries around just in case. The A6xxx uses the bigger NP-FZ100 battery from the Sony ful-frame/FX cameras. The Sony brand cost $80, the 3rd party ~$40, but you do get a little message from Sony saying that you should use factory Sony batteries, it was a bit unsetting, but once you get used to it, it is not a big deal. Personally, I have 2 Sony factory batteries and a 3rd party one form B&H.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I didn’t see this mentioned.

For low-light photography (e.g. astrophotography) and some other less-common photography subjects/methods the phase detect autofocus pixels on a mirrorless camera can show up in the final image.

So, for regular camera astro photos I still use a D850.

For dedicated astro I use a cooled mono astro camera but there are still many opportunities to use the D850 with F mount lenses on a star tracker.

Here is an example of somebody using a mirrorless for infrared photography and having PDAF artifacts that they have to remove in post.
https://kolarivision.com/how-to-remove-phase-detect-sensor-lines-in-your-infrared-photos/

An older dpreview article on PDAF sensor lines with back-lit subjects.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/6974141509/sony-striping-heres-the-fix

I also have some tilt/shift lenses that if I’m driving around I can just use on the DSLR on a tripod since the mirrorless advantages really go away for slower photography scenarios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top