Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2024 10:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidC]
Truly a weird situation. My wife made a bunch of payments for one of our joint credit union accounts last week.

Last night I start getting notifications that payments were unable to be processed because the account had been frozen from multiple creditors.

Wife calls the credit union this morning, she's the primary on this account, and they tell her that they froze the account because she underpaid her car payment by $36. Instead of just using the checkbox she typed in the payment amount on the online payment form and transposed the last two numbers (typed 15 instead of 51).

Plenty of money in that account and other linked accounts but their default position was they just froze the account.

They opened at 9:00 this morning and the problem was resolved by 9:05, but then I had to go call all the creditors and have them reprocess all payments individually.

FWIW, they froze the accounts where she was primary but didn't freeze the accounts where I was primary, even though we were both on them. Not sure what their logic process is.

Major pain in the ass, and the credit union's only response was "policy".

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Time to switch banks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thesquidliest:
Time to switch banks.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would the credit union care if you underpaid someone else's bill?
How would they even know?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Ridiculous.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You have a car loan through your credit union and you don't have it on autopay?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:24:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Imzadi] [#6]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
View Quote

I'm guessing the credit union has the car note.

But i agree on changing banks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I did that once on a car payment. Made it up the next month. Regions didn't give a $hit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#8]
That doesn’t make any sense.

They’d have to convince me not close all my accounts after such a cluster.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#9]
Credit unions can be a bit strange at times. NFCU limits my ACH transfers to $5k per day. Anything over that I have to do a wire transfer at a cost of $29, IIRC. PenFed only allows CC payments of $5k per day also. So if I have a CC bill of let's say $14k and want to pay it early I have to do 3 individual payments over 3 days. Auto payment allows the full amount though.

I keep a few different accounts which I use depending on the transaction.  Currently I bank with NFCU, PenFed, USAA (minimally), CIT, Capitol One and a local bank, Builtwell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

I'm guessing the credit union has the car note.

But i agree on changing banks.
View Quote

That’s the only thing that I can think of.  Still a dumb process.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
You need a Credit Union or Bank who is sane, you generally short the payment and they have to deal with this monthly, or you were nearing true default not just a day or two late due to incorrect payment. No sane bank or institution will freeze your bank accounts for being a day or two late.

For what its worth you were short the entire payment not just the $36 in their eyes as they wont apply partial payment (generally), though that also shouldn't lead to this issue if its a one off mistake.

Feels like there is more to this, but I could be wrong as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#13]
We have multiple car loans through the credit union. The highest interest rate is 3.3%.

There is no discount for auto pay and my wife doesn't trust it. It's generally not worth arguing about.

She only works about 6-7 months a year (retired and only works nuke plant outages) and the other months I have to make sure there's money there to pay the car payment, et al.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By callgood:
I did that once on a car payment. Made it up the next month. Regions didn't give a $hit.
View Quote

When I was down bad I was 85 days late a long time ago on a car payment.  Account was never frozen lol. Something isn’t adding up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidC] [#15]
Originally Posted By boomeruni:
You need a Credit Union or Bank who is sane, you generally short the payment and they have to deal with this monthly, or you were nearing true default not just a day or two late due to incorrect payment. No sane bank or institution will freeze your bank accounts for being a day or two late.

For what its worth you were short the entire payment not just the $36 in their eyes as they wont apply partial payment (generally), though that also shouldn't lead to this issue if its a one off mistake.

View Quote

She's banked with then since we moved down here 5 years ago and it's the first time there's ever been an issue of any sort. If there's anything else to the story it's nothing I can see, and my wife doesn't lie to me.

And from what I can see from their online services they took the $36 and unfroze all the accounts, once she approved the withdrawal. I would think if it was anything more complicated it would have taken more than five minutes to resolve.

FWIW, I was looking at their online reviews and they used to have just thousands of positive reviews but in the last 6 months they have hundreds of negative reviews all related to the new software they switched to that the customers have to use. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the new software.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Time to switch banks.
View Quote

That would be my course of action
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Time to switch banks.
View Quote

They dont care if you close an account

You might think they do but they will just close it.

You: I would like to close my account

Them: what is the reason?

You: because you did this and this and this.

Them: Well we are sorry to see you go, here is the check. Have a great day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STJ] [#18]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
We have multiple car loans through the credit union. The highest interest rate is 3.3%.

There is no discount for auto pay and my wife doesn't trust it. It's generally not worth arguing about.

She only works about 6-7 months a year (retired and only works nuke plant outages) and the other months I have to make sure there's money there to pay the car payment, et al.
View Quote
And how did that work out?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By STJ:
And how did that work out?
View Quote

A topic not worth arguing with my wife about? Great!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

They dont care if you close an account

You might think they do but they will just close it.

You: I would like to close my account

Them: what is the reason?

You: because you did this and this and this.

Them: Well we are sorry to see you go, here is the check. Have a great day.
View Quote

Thats not stritcly true especially if its a smaller CU and you have truly strong deposits. I mean GD is full of millionaires so we alone could bankrupt a small CU!!

Its also not about them caring its about getting the service/features you want. From what OP says above they have made changes that no longer provide that so time to look and see who else is there that can provide those things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:45:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#21]

or what its worth you were short the entire payment not just the $36 in their eyes as they wont apply partial payment (generally), though that also shouldn't lead to this issue if its a one off mistake.

View Quote

I pay my car payment weekly instead of monthly. My credit union (who owns the note) doesn't care and it saves me money on interest. I've done it this way for years.

Example: Pretend your car payment is $350/month. Send them a payment for $100 every Friday. It knocks the interest back weekly instead of monthly, you end up paying an extra $50/month, and some months you pay a 5th payment, which adds up to a "13th month" worth of payments over a year. So you end up paying it off faster from that, too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:48:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boomeruni] [#22]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

I pay my car payment weekly instead of monthly. My credit union (who owns the note) doesn't care and it saves me money on interest. I've done it this way for years.

View Quote

Generally they are placing the partial payment into a suspense account and then applying the payment when you make the second partial. The savings comes from the fact you make an extra payment or two over the course of the year that drives down the principal faster - this is where the savings occurs over the life of the loan.

That being said there could be CU that will truly take the partials and apply them though its generally not the norm for a handful of reasons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#23]

She's banked with then since we moved down here 5 years ago and it's the first time there's ever been an issue of any sort. If there's anything else to the story it's nothing I can see, and my wife doesn't lie to me.

And from what I can see from their online services they took the $36 and unfroze all the accounts, once she approved the withdrawal. I would think if it was anything more complicated it would have taken more than five minutes to resolve.

FWIW, I was looking at their online reviews and they used to have just thousands of positive reviews but in the last 6 months they have hundreds of negative reviews all related to the new software they switched to that the customers have to use. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the new software.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

See if a bigger CU bought them out.

Not really impressed anymore with the one I have been at for a couple decades. Got bought out, they used to be pretty selective about customers so they kept losers and deadbeats out and they had good rates due to that.

Bought out and payout rates dropped below the average and interest rates rose higher then most others, the new ''parent'' CU is in detroit so I'm pretty sure we are subsidizing their deadbeat customers and loan defaults.

I'm pulling more $$ monday and doing a CD at another local place that is offering 5.1% for 9 months, the best I could do at the CU was 3.8(% for a year. Then, I have another one [double the amount of $$$] due in september that will be going elsewhere also.

That is about 650K I've yanked from it so far and placed elsewhere because they aren't even close to being competitive nowadays.

But they have their ''diversity'' bullshit up front and center now, that shit wasn't to be seen in years past.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JVD:
You have a car loan through your credit union and you don't have it on autopay?
View Quote

Autopay all the things.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#25]
They haven't been bought out, but they did this big upgrade from their early-1990's style software to something they call "YOUR$" which gave customers all of the software capabilities you'd expect from a major banking concern.

Apparently the overall response to it hasn't been what they expected, or hoped for.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
That sounds like something USAA would do. I had an account with them. I was a customer for over 10 years. Did the online deposit. Same company check, drawn from the same account for roughly the same amount for over 3 years.
one day they decided to hold half of the deposit for a week even though I had $12k in a savings account with them.
I had a thousand or so in the checking before the deposit . When I called them, no one could give me a reason why other than "the Computer did it" and they couldn't reverse it. I closed the account that day.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By pdm:
Credit unions can be a bit strange at times. NFCU limits my ACH transfers to $5k per day. Anything over that I have to do a wire transfer at a cost of $29, IIRC. PenFed only allows CC payments of $5k per day also. So if I have a CC bill of let's say $14k and want to pay it early I have to do 3 individual payments over 3 days. Auto payment allows the full amount though.

I keep a few different accounts which I use depending on the transaction.  Currently I bank with NFCU, PenFed, USAA (minimally), CIT, Capitol One and a local bank, Builtwell.
View Quote

I had the same problem sith the $5k max, for me it 2 weeks of extended staty bills etc. So I just sent them a check through snail malil. F this financial insittuions that make life tough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
That doesn’t make any sense.

They’d have to convince me not close all my accounts after such a cluster.
View Quote

Same.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#29]
If it’s a glitch with new software, and they’ve been good up until now, I’d be a little more understanding.  Things happen.  But if it became a pattern, I’d look to eject.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Time to switch banks.
View Quote

FPNI and ITT we learn who's foolish enough to take out a loan to buy a car for heaven's sake!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

This. Very weird. I would switch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Pay what you actually owe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BullpupFan:
FPNI and ITT we learn who's foolish enough to take out a loan to buy a car for heaven's sake!
View Quote

Elaborate?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#34]
All banks are the same now days even credit unions.  They will fuck you every single time they can just to get more late fees etc. and blame it on the "system".  The revenue last year was over $14 billion.  Only a sucker, or the poors, puts up with their bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: merick] [#35]
They haven't been bought out, but they did this big upgrade from their early-1990's style software to something they call "YOUR$" which gave customers all of the software capabilities you'd expect from a major banking concern.

Apparently the overall response to it hasn't been what they expected, or hoped for.
View Quote

This right here. Good staff is expensive so management automated everything they could in the cheapest possible way. I bet  the accounts would have been locked automatically for a being a penny under.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Customer Service apparently ain't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Elaborate?
View All Quotes

Elaborate?

Which statement?

1) I'd leave a financial institution who treated me like that.
2) Save up money and buy things rather than take out loans to buy things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Navy Federal was notorious for this but I think they got sued over it. They’d freeze all your accounts if you missed a payment.
In fairness they did try to contact you first but being many of their customers are deployed it was really shitty of them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:39:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#39]
Time to switch banks.
View All Quotes
Time to switch banks.

This.

They could have phoned you up or sent a secure message.

I would be livid at that level of piss poor CS.

I have different banks, it’s nice to have a back up.

Originally Posted By pdm:

That’s a ridiculous amount. Is that $5k limit even through bill pay or just doing a transfer? What about having your card do a pull? Even my rinky dink CU is well over $5k ACH, but they will either put a hold or call you to verify.

I like CU’s for general basic banking, but when you get into large sums, they aren’t the best choice.

I almost switched to NFCU, but I didn’t like their daily/monthly limits.

I opened a Cap1 checking (and savings) since I have Cap1 credit cards, the transfer is much faster, even when my Apple Card pulls from the account. My CU is slow AF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Which statement?

View All Quotes

Elaborate?

Which statement?

Part 2, please.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:50:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#41]
Truly a weird situation. My wife made a bunch of payments for one of our joint credit union accounts last week.

Last night I start getting notifications that payments were unable to be processed because the account had been frozen from multiple creditors.

Wife calls the credit union this morning, she's the primary on this account, and they tell her that they froze the account because she underpaid her car payment by $36. Instead of just using the checkbox she typed in the payment amount on the online payment form and transposed the last two numbers (typed 15 instead of 51).

Plenty of money in that account and other linked accounts but their default position was they just froze the account.

They opened at 9:00 this morning and the problem was resolved by 9:05, but then I had to go call all the creditors and have them reprocess all payments individually.

FWIW, they froze the accounts where she was primary but didn't freeze the accounts where I was primary, even though we were both on them. Not sure what their logic process is.

Major pain in the ass, and the credit union's only response was "policy".

View Quote

Make them show you the policy.  Because it doesn't exist.

It won't be in their deposit policy and not in the loan documents you signed.

If it is change institutions.  If it doesn't then you really need to change institutions.  And report them to their regulators.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Automated system.  

Programmer probably set it up that if the full amount due wasn’t paid it saw it as a missed payment.  Whether you didn’t pay at all or shorted by a penny it’s all the same to a computer’s binary 1’s and 0’s.  

Why are you making minimum payments anyway?  Go be poor somewhere else and pay early and at least round your payment up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#44]
I would recommend having all debt payments auto drafted.

I have an account specifically for regular debt payments.  A portion of every paycheck goes into it automatically, enough to cover payments.  My home and auto loans and such are paid from it automatically.  I keep an extra month’s payments in the account as a buffer, just in case there are any problems.  My mortgage is always paid, and I don’t have to do anything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]
My (now former) bank froze my account because I didn’t pay a $38 fee when I paid my house off, 3 years previously.

Mind you, the account had ~6 figures in it.

It happened because I made my final payment through their online portal. And that didn’t take into account their $38 processing fee to close the loan out. And I was never alerted to it.  

Banks are fucking dumb. I was polite as I could be while raging to the lady on the phone. It wasn’t her personal fault.  But I asked: Do you really think it makes sense to freeze a 6 figure account, for $38? Why not call me? Send me a letter? Do you really think I’d care about $38 to close a loan out?  

The bank cost themselves millions with that one.  I’ll never do business with them, my business will never do business with them, etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Not really impressed anymore with the one I have been at for a couple decades. Got bought out, they used to be pretty selective about customers so they kept losers and deadbeats out and they had good rates due to that.

Bought out and payout rates dropped below the average and interest rates rose higher then most others, the new ''parent'' CU is in detroit so I'm pretty sure we are subsidizing their deadbeat customers and loan defaults.

I'm pulling more $$ monday and doing a CD at another local place that is offering 5.1% for 9 months, the best I could do at the CU was 3.8(% for a year. Then, I have another one [double the amount of $$$] due in september that will be going elsewhere also.

That is about 650K I've yanked from it so far and placed elsewhere because they aren't even close to being competitive nowadays.

But they have their ''diversity'' bullshit up front and center now, that shit wasn't to be seen in years past.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Pretty sure I’m a member of the same CC… I’ve been with them since 1993 when I opened an account with them in elementary school.  Back when it was CP and not CE.

Had some fraud on my credit card and they treated me like a criminal.  Told them that the transactions were fraud and to figure it the fuck out, remove it from my statement and close the card.  They were like “well if it comes back as not fraud in our investigation then it will be out of our hands how it’s handled…” I was pissed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#47]
The car loan should be auto pay as its not like a bill that changes the amount you owe from month to month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#48]
We left our long time credit union last year over the same thing. I made a typo on a loan payment and it was short something like $3, they locked all of our accounts and cards, including my ability to fix the loan payment online, while we were out of town, then wanted to charge me to pay the remaining $3 over the phone
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Why the fuck would they freeze an account for an under payment? None of it makes sense.

If that truly is their policy then get a new credit union. That one sucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hollywood387] [#50]
I'm guessing it was Security Service FCU.

Have I got some stories about that fucking shithole.

H

ETA- Briefly:  their tellers have tried to put cash deposits on hold, they stole $12k from my account and called me crazy for pointing it out, and they bounced a check on my client when he had the money in the account just to name a few.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top