Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Soooo, he's basically frying leather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Love some good cracklins.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If anyone is ever driving through Louisiana going on i10 through Lafayette. Do yourself a favor and stop by the Scott Exit, and stop by the best stop and try their cracklins. My absolute favorite.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite snack!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha. He is basically frying up footballs and then pretending they are somehow tasty.  I think starving people have been known to eat their shoes and leather belts, too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Crackling' Rosie get on board
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Ha. He is basically frying up footballs and then pretending they are somehow tasty.  I think starving people have been known to eat their shoes and leather belts, too.
View Quote
A lot of southerners do think they're tasty. I tried one once and didn't like it. It's probably for the best considering they're god awful for your health.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
We call them pork skins here and I can eat them until I’m sick. Yummy.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Ate too many pork rinds when I was a kid. Never at them again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer the Mexican version; it's the skin + fat layer + 1 in of meat, like a piece of bacon with a cracklin stuck to it... awesome but very rich.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:30:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're on I 10 in LA, just east of Lake Charles, there's a little town called Iowa. In-Laws, next to Pilot truck stop. Their cracklins have a layer of fat on 'em. They are good, but I can't eat a whole serving. The boudin is decent. They carry Jilly's pepper jelly that's like crack to me
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC - the BBQ Capitol.
Chops up cracklins' and adds them to their delicious pork BBQ.
Those are small nuggets of flavor explosions in your mouth.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
A lot of southerners do think they're tasty. I tried one once and didn't like it. It's probably for the best considering they're god awful for your health.
View Quote

Just like a lot of fried food southerners love. And the ungodly amount of sugar they put in sweet tea. Super healthy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
I prefer the Mexican version; it's the skin + fat layer + 1 in of meat, like a piece of bacon with a cracklin stuck to it... awesome but very rich.
View Quote

I had a chicharrones burrito smothered in green chile at a small town New Mexican joint one day.  I thought I was hallucinating when I left.  Damn, it was good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actually, if you live an active lifestyle, they're quite healthy for you.

Healthy aspects of craklins

Now, if you're an arfcom keyboard commando, they'll just add to your preexisting fat layers.

Jussayin

H
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Sadly I refuse to eat store , commercial over cooked cracklins.  I love them but I love my teeth more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#18]
Cracklins are more like deep frying cubes of pork belly (with the rind attached).  They would differ from frying cubes of bacon in that bacon is cured first, while cracklins are fried without curing and seasoned afterwards.  Cracklins and fired pork rinds are different things.

I like Cracklins from Best Stop in Scott LA.  I picked up a jar from the new Best Stop in Houston - growl...  Mexican grocery stores often have something very similar to cracklins (chicharrones), but not seasoned the same way (they also have fried pork rinds which is different).  The Houston Best Stop was selling something more related to the Mexican fried pork belly version rather than the Cajun seasoned version.  They should be hung by their heals till they stop fucking it up.  Sad thing, they had chicken cracklins that were seasoned just fine.  No clue why they intentionally fucked up the pork ones.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:
Love some good cracklins.
View Quote

Especially in corn bread.  We grew up making our own. But we cut them much smaller. It makes its own lard. Hog killing time was fond memories.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I love those things along with people that chew ice and eat hard foodstuffs like candy, popcorn and nuts!  Anything that breaks teeth is good and keeps me in business doing crown & bridge work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By binthere:

Just like a lot of fried food southerners love. And the ungodly amount of sugar they put in sweet tea. Super healthy.
View Quote

They invariably have a hard piece in them. A dentist told me number one reason for chipped teeth
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Kingstrider:
I love those things along with people that chew ice and eat hard foodstuffs like candy, popcorn and nuts!  Anything that breaks teeth is good and keeps me in business doing crown & bridge work.
View Quote

I was just going to post and say I like them but god damn it's like chewing on gravel. Are you supposed to put them in your cheek like a wad of dip and let it soften or something?

I follow that guy on facebook his schtick is funny doooo'.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Fucking Floridians
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Cracklins are not the same as fried pork skins.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
Cracklins are not the same as fried pork skins.
View Quote
Yep, fried much more and way harder!!!

I prefer friend Porkskins, but I'm conflicted, the idea of Fried Skin is just nasty and probably not good for you.
But Damn if Plain Pork Skins with Chula, Franks or some other favorite Hot sauce aint tasty as h3ll....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top