Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 11:08:49 AM EDT
Recommendations for best composite decking? Trex, TimberTech, True North. Trying to balance cost and quality. This isn't the forever house, but I want it to last until we go to sell some 10-15 years from now (and hopefully still be nice enough it helps resale).

Wife has already vetoed no deck, as well as a concrete pad (or even pavers). Since there's no reasoning with her. What are my options? What should I be leery or aware of?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#1]
Remember to use stainless fasteners. The sub frame will be pressure treated, and the chemicals are corrosive even to the ‘made for PT’ coated fasteners.

For the decking check what the availability is for each brand in your area. I do not know what Lowes or HD carries, but probably would go with them last if not one of the mentioned brands.

My next deck board replacement will be TREX Enhanced. Reason is I live in a damp area, and the ridging on the bottom should allow for more drying of the subframe where the deck boards make contact.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
With women and most engineering meetings, the best plan is to make them think it was their idea.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure your framing is on 12 inch centers if not the decking will sag between the joist and get the router bit so you can cut the groove in the end of the board for the spacer/fasteners.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup.  The brand of composite decking is less important than the structure under it.

12" OC joists
Use joist tape on top of the joists
SS screws (hidden or thru face)
Drainage gaps if ledgers are against other structure
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in a deck builder group on facebook.  Those guys prefer Tmbertech or Deckorators.  Feedback on the Trex seems to be mixed.  Keep in mind Trex has several different tiers

https://www.deckorators.com/collections/decking-collections
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Griffdawg] [#6]
I prefer azek...be prepared to pay for it.

Lighter and easier to work with. Color is completely through deck board, unlike everyone else's thin laminate over garbage composite.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I resurfaced my dock with Deckorators. Added a lot of supports. I would do it again as the stuff is so much more resilient than treated lumber. I have a lot of Herrons and other water birds that hang out on the dock: Their poop would damage the pressure treated lumber and I would have to re-lace every several years. The composite stuff looks like new after a rain
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I built my 16 x 20 last year with trex. There are a lot of options, even in the trex line, but the one I liked and that matched the house colors also happened to be the cheapest. Framing was 16" OC per trex. I've built a lot of decks when I worked in the industry but it was typically tropical hardwoods. I really wanted to be as low maintenance as possible. There was a learning curve but all said, I'm pleased.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FireSteel] [#9]
Originally Posted By scuba14c:
Recommendations for best composite decking? Trex, TimberTech, True North. Trying to balance cost and quality. This isn't the forever house, but I want it to last until we go to sell some 10-15 years from now (and hopefully still be nice enough it helps resale).

Wife has already vetoed no deck, as well as a concrete pad (or even pavers). Since there's no reasoning with her. What are my options? What should I be leery or aware of?
View Quote

All the brands you mentioned are good.

You can get slotted decking and use bracket mounts, or square edge decking and use cortex matching plug and fasteners.

Check out this composite decking:

https://royalbuildingsolutions.com/en/products/zuri-decking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top