Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Comfortable cowboy boots (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 2:45:01 PM EDT
Do they exist? I have a pair of Ariats that look nice but shortly after wearing them my hips hurt like a mf, they do have a small heel which I think may be the reason. Is this a common thing and is there a boot that wouldn't cause this?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stumpy89] [#1]
You seek a reputable custom boot maker
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#2]
If you uncomfortably wear them forever they can get comfortable.  But cowboy boots are some of the dumbest footwear on the planet for practicality and actually walking, not sure why the tradition hasn't died.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:49:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#3]
Determine what kind of heel you have. There are heels made more for riding and heels more for walking and other things. Look into the heels that fit more what you have planned to do while wearing it and avoid the ones made for something you won't be doing. Same can be said for toes as well. You should be able to turn up charts and graphics with a comparison of the types.

I wear boots a lot. My most comortable pair is a Justin pair that's 30 years old or older than has been resoled a number of times. I have nicer boots, and I know this will come as a shock. A pair that I've worn to meetings and lunch with a couple of fortune 500 CEOs including the CEO of Shaw (before they sold) and Exxon, outside the state of TX. It's considered appropriate wear for business in a number of industries.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been wearing Justin 3040s for 29 years and find them pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Double H
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Multiple pairs of Tecovas and I've been really happy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll also look into some of these. Also a stupid question, but why are most cowboy boots smooth on the bottoms? Shouldn't they have some tread on them if you're working in the dirt/farm? Or is this something that's a riding thing?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Big fan of Anderson Bean myself. I own several pairs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#12]
I have two pairs of western boots that I have been wearing for almost 40 years.
They have been leather re-soled many many times, and have worn in to fit my feet very comfortably - but they do have riding heels and I wouldn't want to go hiking in them....

The gray/black one is Nocona, and the tan/brown one is Tony Lama - both are made in the USA.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bandanabandit1:
I'll also look into some of these. Also a stupid question, but why are most cowboy boots smooth on the bottoms? Shouldn't they have some tread on them if you're working in the dirt/farm? Or is this something that's a riding thing?
View Quote

Don’t know, but on that note, my dad slipped in the rain and tore his Achilles tendon while wearing cowboy boots.  Be careful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
If you uncomfortably wear them forever they can get comfortable.  But cowboy boots are some of the dumbest footwear on the planet for practicality and actually walking, not sure why the tradition hasn't died.
View Quote
I respectfully disagree.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
They have been leather re-soled many many times, and have worn in to fit my feet very comfortably - but they do have riding heels and I wouldn't want to go hiking in them....

The gray/black one is Nocona, and the tan/brown one is Tony Lama - both are made in the USA.

https://a4.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/122737159.H6ynmNHq.Boots.jpg
View Quote

Just because.

Deryl Dodd - 21 - New Tony Lamas - 2006-04-08
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
The smooth soles are definitely a riding thing.
My leather soled boots are VERY slippery on wet ground!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Genuine ostrich

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Charlie Dunn (Live In Austin, TX, 1972)

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:

This company right here has what you are looking forBeck Boots in Amarillo
View Quote

Second this, they are great quality. The Beck Tek sole has good traction on everything but snow and ice.

Email them with any questions, Jeremy will call and is very helpful with getting the measurements.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TLF:
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bulldog1776] [#21]
The Dan Post varieties that come with the soft strike orthotic insole are pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a big fan of Hondo or Olathe boots.

A properly built, welt sole boot will not have an insole, just smooth leather and a steel shank. Properly sized, you'll need baby powder or gold bond to slip your feet in and out initially, until the boots mold to your feet.

Once your boots are broke in, they'll feel like a second skin until you walk out wear the soles off and have them rebuilt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

It’s all about fit
I have a 35 YO pair od Tony Lama elephants that fit so well that they “pop”’when I pull them on.
I can walk all day in them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:

It's all about fit
I have a 35 YO pair od Tony Lama elephants that fit so well that they "pop"'when I pull them on.
I can walk all day in them.
View Quote
I wore field boots and harness boots into comfort, and even put a lot of hiking miles on them.  Wore the heels off.  The one good thing about them is they keep the cheat grass off your socks.

But they really are just not too all terrain, especially in the winter, on rock, or on sand.  They're really only practical if you are riding and not really walking very much.  They make a poor work/field boot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in the camp of "fit matters". Most of the modern day boot makers are close in style/price and most make a usable boot. Peoples feet are marginally NOT the same in most cases even if the length/width are the same. It's the little bumps and creases in your feet that I worry about. After six decades of wearing cowboy boots I still wear only round toed boots. I still wear 3/4 heel boots. I prefer unborn calf leather for softness but in todays market using a quality leather conditioner along with regular upkeep the boots I settle on work just fine for me.

I have a truly nice pair of Alligator boots that I wear on some occasions but they require me to wear ONLY the thin dress type socks for comfort. My other pair are like tennis shoes as thety are all in rotation and have their assigned duty level. They get replaced as needed.  I'm considering having a couple of pair "built for me" as getting older can entail foot issues and I really try and take care of mine. If anyone here has any 100% top notch references on custom boot makers please post n'em up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll wear my Justin boots in the winter. They have a light insulation and rubber soles. Very comfortable.

Dingo's have a soft leather option and they are very comfortable too. The other pairs are more of dress boots and not for everyday wear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

I’ve had over 50 pairs of Anderson Bean.  I think I currently have a dozen pairs.  I wear them all day, every day.  The nicer ones I work in for the public, as they get worn and shitty they turn into ranch boots.

I have a couple of custom boots and a few other brands (Rod Patrick, Tony Llama, Lucchese, etc.) that I occasionally wear for different occasions but the Anderson Beans are the most comfortable for me.

Unless I’m wearing shorts or a bathing suit, I’m wearing boots and if they fit right, they’re as comfortable and protective as anything I’ve ever worn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedAngus] [#30]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:

I have a truly nice pair of Alligator boots that I wear on some occasions but they require me to wear ONLY the thin dress type socks for comfort. My other pair are like tennis shoes as thety are all in rotation and have their assigned duty level. They get replaced as needed.  I'm considering having a couple of pair "built for me" as getting older can entail foot issues and I really try and take care of mine. If anyone here has any 100% top notch references on custom boot makers please post n'em up.
View Quote

J.R. Cansler in Perrin, TX (as J.R. says, his “World Headquarters” is in Perrin, TX ) makes a good boot if you’ve got a couple of years to wait. But they will be as tight as a surgical glove and require some break in, but never get sloppy loose.

M.L. Leddy’s in the Ft. Worth Stockyards makes good custom boots, but their average offering is a bit ‘old-man-ish’ for my personal taste.  However, they’ll make you whatever you want, and if you like a round toe box, they’re likely right up your alley, anyway.  I wear square toed boots exclusively, so they’re not my style. But they make a good boot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Ostrich. Soft as butter. When they break in they are like wearing slippers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Get some Chisos.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#33]
My Ariats have been great so far, I prefer a heel as it forces me to distribute my weight better. Also had a pair of Durangos that were almost like a tennis shoe but with less traction, I like square toes for the extra room in the toe box.

I have combat boots, muck boots, and logging boots for heavy outdoor work where I need traction, but for my "real" job I'd much rather have slip-ons so I can take them off on breaks

There's always the option to have custom boots made that can be resoled, more $$$ but you have the ability to get and keep exactly what you want in footwear
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:
I've been wearing Justin 3040s for 29 years and find them pretty comfortable.
View Quote
Justin 3040's are where it's at. My "go to court" boots to go with Class A's
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#35]
Originally Posted By bandanabandit1:Comfortable-cowboy-boots
View Quote

Dolls Kill.  She looks comfy.  (thong warning)
DOLLS KILL TAKES US TO THE WILD WEST
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Double H has been the most comfortable pair I’ve had yet
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Athlete
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#38]
I have a couple pair of Lucchese's. They're not "cowboy" boots in the traditional style but they are really comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I got a semi-custom pair that were great. Still are but I don't wear them very often now that I stopped going to C&W dance clubs. They were more expensive than off the shelf but not crazy. Maybe 50% more than off the shelf from the same company, and I had to wait two months, but well worth it for the comfort.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#40]
They do exist, I have a friend that makes custom cowboy boots in New England if you’re interested in a pair.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Go to your doc, complain about foot pain, get referred to podiatrist.  Tell podiatrist you'd like to try prescription shoes.  Use HSA to buy tailored boots.

Never done this, but it's on my list.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SHD] [#42]
https://republicboothouston.com

Hand made in Houston,  trained by Italian shoe makers

Custom boots made to your foot are comfortable.  Mass produced boots with sneaker insoles might start comfortable,  but they won't stay that way.

Chris,  the owner, and his staff know what they are doing.   Yes it is buy, once cry once, but they get it done right,  and if it's not,  will,  right on property.   You can watch boots being made in the side room.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Lucchese are the best I have worn.
Own thing but.
But it does take some trying on in a store to make sure of fit.

Never had customs, but maybe someday
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Durango's are the most comfortable ones I've worn.  And than Ariat's, but that's just for dress-up and a few hours at a time.  I also make sure I wear a thick boot sock.  But everyone is going to be different.  

Go to your local Boot Barn and try different brands.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I’ve been very happy with the Ariat Hybrid Ranchers I’ve had for several years now.  Very comfortable, durable and the sole works great on most any surface.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

https://a4.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/122737159.H6ynmNHq.Boots.jpg
View Quote

My father has many vintage pairs of custom and Tony Lama boots. Some weirdo in 12 double A narrow is going to be in hog heaven when he passes.

Elephant,  Shark, custom leather, maybe a reptile pair like anaconda. His few pair of custom boots were made by the same boot maker that made Hank W. J.r.'s, She was a nice lady. Ran an old school shoe store with her father and life partner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
Anderson Bean, or if you want to further upgrade, Rios of Mercedes
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#49]
For off the shelf I really like Double H.

Their regular boots and steel toes are both great.

These are my daily drivers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Those are for riding
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Comfortable cowboy boots (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top