Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JVD:

If someone can't handle being told they are a piece of shit, while being a piece of shit, without getting all violent they deserve an 8000mg dose of lead to the head. So does anyone that supports that violent aggressor. And anyone that supports those people.
The lesson should be carry.
View Quote

Am I nerdy for looking up milligrams to grains comparisons?

Approximately 124 grains? I like your thinking.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:10:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jsnappa] [#2]
Originally Posted By Tiszta:
Just wait until you guys find out who works for your roofing company, moving company, landscaping crew, painters, etc.

There is a severe labor shortage in this FJB economy.  Companies are desperate to hire any warm body.

View Quote

My ex worked for Sears.  She sent one of their subcontractors out for appliance service or something.  The freak murdered the daughter of the homeowner during the visit.  I’m sure that person had a felony or five in their history.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fike:
Not Instacart’s first rodeo in this realm.

Terms of service, yada yada, maybe a small settlement.
View Quote

Nah, this one will be real money.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
@LeadRX

How did you find out about this and see the vid?
View Quote

She was out of work this morning, she made a call to the boss from the hospital and later a personal call to myself (I’m a foreman).

She gave the boss a police report number. I haven’t seen the vid but she has a ring camera.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StromBusa] [#6]
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:

I love reading about the fantasy world you guys live in with regards to lawsuits.  

If you all quit spending all your time trying to get out of jury duty or talking about jury nullification you might see how civil court usually plays out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CavScout:
She wont have to work anymore, tell her goodbye for us and enjoy retirement.

I love reading about the fantasy world you guys live in with regards to lawsuits.  

If you all quit spending all your time trying to get out of jury duty or talking about jury nullification you might see how civil court usually plays out.

from another thread:

"Undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest awarded $23.5 million"
https://apnews.com/article/st-louis-officer-beating-235-million-award-e02ff1a30667a4872afea1a0675b4c77
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, some update here, apparently the guy was the boyfriend of the actual instacart driver, he was using her profile and car to make the deliveries and get paid. He has apparently fled to new haven according to his GF who spilled the beans to the cops.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wait until you guys find out who works for your roofing company, moving company, landscaping crew, painters, etc.

There is a severe labor shortage in this FJB economy.  Companies are desperate to hire any warm body.

View Quote

Nobody can find a job and no jobs can find bodies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

from another thread:

"Undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest awarded $23.5 million"
https://apnews.com/article/st-louis-officer-beating-235-million-award-e02ff1a30667a4872afea1a0675b4c77
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
Originally Posted By CavScout:
She wont have to work anymore, tell her goodbye for us and enjoy retirement.

from another thread:

And after the lawyers get done with it, he'll probably pocket enough to pick up, say, a well-maintained late-model Neon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LeadRX:
Ok, some update here, apparently the guy was the boyfriend of the actual instacart driver, he was using her profile and car to make the deliveries and get paid. He has apparently fled to new haven according to his GF who spilled the beans to the cops.
View Quote

That pretty much absolves Instacart, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I'd say the opposite - they obviously don't have any system in place to make sure that the person you agree to hire is the person that is doing the actual delivery.  It wouldn't matter how many background checks they do, if they don't keep track of this.  Maybe they need facial recognition or something.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By brewthunda:

I'd say the opposite - they obviously don't have any system in place to make sure that the person you agree to hire is the person that is doing the actual delivery.  It wouldn't matter how many background checks they do, if they don't keep track of this.  Maybe they need facial recognition or something.
View All Quotes

Apply that benchmark to everything. It’s an untenable slippery slope. Do you favor biometric sensors on firearms?

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
She definitely didn't deserve it.
But what's the whole story?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Boyfriend or not instacart still owes somebody for the attack.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
Wouldn't surprise me I guess for a contract gig. I just kinda figure it might make a lawsuit easier if they knowingly hired a guy who beats on people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
I'd bet that she isn't getting anything from Instacart.  They aren't the drivers employer, they are just a website .

The driver is 109% responsible.

The website took the money.
The website picked the driver.
The website paid the driver.
My question is did the website run a criminal background check.

If the guy ends up having a violent criminal record once identified, I imagine it might be relevant.

IANAL

If they did. They're probably on the list of employers that hires felons anyways.

Sounds like it's not fully known here.  But a number of businesses are willing to hire felons as long as they are honest about their past.

Part of the process of getting people rehabilitated I suppose.  Ironically enough though.  The list of what employers would was kept somewhat secret.  Wouldn't want it to get out that you're willing to put criminals on the payroll.
Wouldn't surprise me I guess for a contract gig. I just kinda figure it might make a lawsuit easier if they knowingly hired a guy who beats on people.

You're probably right.  I think part of the program when I heard of years ago.  Was that they were still being selective in a way.  

So violent criminals or theft would likely to still be a no go.  But drug convictions, prostitution, and similar were going to be overlooked.

These days i'm sure it's just anything goes as long as you tell us first.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Wouldn’t they just push the liability to the contractor? I would wager that having someone else drive under your account falls well outside of the agreement between the original driver and the company, likely in direct violation of terms. I know it’s unpopular here, but I don’t see instacart shelling out millions. There is no privity between the asshole and instacart.

Sorry, OP, I hope she recovers well and this guy gets caught.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Not their car?  Not their employee/contractor?  Not their customer?

This is a lot of degrees of separation to surmount for a civil case.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#18]

View Quote

I did a job at the governors mansion in Richmond several years ago where everybody on site was required to pass a background check. The construction/landscape company evidently struggled with this requirement and wound up emptying the office of all their 20-something engineers and project managers to come get their hands dirty, run equipment, etc. It was hilarious. The only one who knew what he was doing was the supervisor and he pretty much spent the entire time shaking his head in amazement at the incredible amount of carnage occurring around him. You know how watching a skilled mini ex operator do work is like watching a surgeon? This was the opposite of that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

She learned an important lesson about talking shit.  Some people walk around hoping for an opportunity to commit violence.
View Quote

Those people have no business delivering groceries under their girlfriend's account.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

There’s a valuable lesson here:    People are used to the idea that workers are going to act with restraint and civilized demeanor Because they are working and representing the Company.  

It’s not necessarily true at all, for contract workers on the fringe of society.   She assumed he was more than just a common criminal, but that was a mistake.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Wtf

Was the driver ...disrespected perhaps?

The dude delivered 6 bags of groceries to the wrong address, apparently her house is easily confused with her neighbors, when she went to get them the guy was leaving and she told him it was the wrong address. He didn’t take kindly to that and called her a stupid bitch and she said something along the lines of “get a real job asshole”, then he proceeded to try to run her over and beat the shit out of her.

She has a concussion, severely bruised face, and two cracked ribs from him kicking her while she was unconscious.

ETA: this happened in Waterbury.

There’s a valuable lesson here:    People are used to the idea that workers are going to act with restraint and civilized demeanor Because they are working and representing the Company.  

It’s not necessarily true at all, for contract workers on the fringe of society.   She assumed he was more than just a common criminal, but that was a mistake.

Never poke a bear unless you have the means to put it down if it charges.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Wtf

View Quote

We already know what the culprits going to look like. Their voting patterns, world view. It’s almost like these people come from central casting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Apply that benchmark to everything. It’s an untenable slippery slope. Do you favor biometric sensors on firearms?

View Quote

If instacart was handing out firearms to randos and sending them to my house, I would want them to put some effort into making sure they were sending the right person - if that means biometrics on instacart's guns, sure.  Or they could make their contractors check in with a human being, like most businesses.

But Instacart has a virtually 100% automated system so they can save a few bucks on human management .  and they offer a service where they allow you to choose who will come to your home, but then they don't have any systems in place to make sure that that happens.  Classic negligence case.  What's the cost of doing something to avoid this situation vs the expected harm of not doing it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
Also, that wasn't instacart. That was Uber Beats.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know why people use these services.

I get it if you're disabled or something like that, but what did you do before these apps?

Why invite total strangers to your house?  Get in the car and go get your own shit and you won't have to pay their absurd charges.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#25]

If instacart was handing out firearms to randos and sending them to my house, I would want them to put some effort into making sure they were sending the right person - if that means biometrics on instacart's guns, sure.  Or they could make their contractors check in with a human being, like most businesses.

But Instacart has a virtually 100% automated system so they can save a few bucks on human management .  and they offer a service where they allow you to choose who will come to your home, but then they don't have any systems in place to make sure that that happens.  Classic negligence case.  What's the cost of doing something to avoid this situation vs the expected harm of not doing it?
View All Quotes

Successfully suing them and winning with your guidelines would be a landmark national case. Probably make it to the SC on appeal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:19:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#26]
View Quote

Okay I am just verifying I have the facts straight:

1.  Female co-worker orders groceries on Instacart.
2.  Should be a female Instacart driver but her boyfriend does the job (didn't even know this was a thing, are you able to select a particular driver or is it random?)
3.  He delivers to the wrong house and your coworker goes and attempts to take the groceries and has a verbal exchange with the boyfriend
4.  Boyfriend then gives a beating and leaves.
5.  Co-worker now in hospital and out of work at least for the day.

Not sure legally what will happen but boyfriend needs a hickory bath, more than just a shampoo.

I guess did the boyfriend take the instacart driver's car when he left the area what car did he take? (just wondering, maybe he doesn't have a car )

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd dump that video on social media and let it run.

"Woman in hospital after Instacart delivery" "Woman beaten within an inch of her life after Instacart order goes wrong" "Woman badly beaten after Instacart order" etc
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

2.  Should be a female Instacart driver but her boyfriend does the job
3.  He delivers to the wrong house and your coworker goes and attempts to take the groceries and has a verbal exchange with the boyfriend

Not sure legally what will happen but boyfriend needs a hickory bath, more than just a shampoo.

I guess did the boyfriend take the instacart driver's car or did he do this with his own car, when he left the area what car did he take? (just wondering, maybe he doesn't have a car )

View Quote

Instacart will claim no liability.

However, dirtbag bf was acting as an agent of Instacart by likely getting the groceries from the store via the app and delivering the groceries via the app. This should be a fun showdown between attorneys.

I bet they settle before trial for a rather large amount because a reasonable jury will penalize these gig work companies based on the bad press they've been getting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 80085:

However, dirtbag bf was acting as an agent of Instacart by likely getting the groceries from the store via the app and delivering the groceries via the app. This should be a fun showdown between attorneys.

I bet they settle before trial for a rather large amount because a reasonable jury will penalize these gig work companies based on the bad press they've been getting.
View All Quotes

I guess did the boyfriend take the instacart driver's car or did he do this with his own car, when he left the area what car did he take? (just wondering, maybe he doesn't have a car )

Acting as an agent requires permission/authority from the liable entity (principal).

I guess you could take a swing at attacking implied or apparent authority, but that is a long shot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Gary_Plauche:

I get it if you're disabled or something like that, but what did you do before these apps?

Why invite total strangers to your house?  Get in the car and go get your own shit and you won't have to pay their absurd charges.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Successfully suing them and winning with your guidelines would be a landmark national case. Probably make it to the SC on appeal.
View All Quotes

I would assume negligence would be the big factor, no? IE, if this case is a one off, sure, probably not going anywhere. If Instacart knows they have a problem with this (and anyone who has used it knows they do) and then ignored it, I assume that would be a bigger deal.

I am not a lawyer however nor do I play one on TV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]

She learned an important lesson about talking shit.  Some people walk around hoping for an opportunity to commit violence.
View Quote

Too bad she didn’t have a gun. There would be one less asshole in the world perhaps.

In Minecraft of course.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like a dupe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

If you are going to do that to certain you people...be carrying and ready to use it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]

The dude delivered 6 bags of groceries to the wrong address, apparently her house is easily confused with her neighbors, when she went to get them the guy was leaving and she told him it was the wrong address. He didn’t take kindly to that and called her a stupid bitch and she said something along the lines of “get a real job asshole”, then he proceeded to try to run her over and beat the shit out of her.

She has a concussion, severely bruised face, and two cracked ribs from him kicking her while she was unconscious.

View All Quotes
Wtf

No offense to your hurt friend but hopefully she learns a valuable lesson that mouthing off has consequences
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#36]
Lol so that's what happened. Her mouth wrote a check Her face couldn't cash. Western society and feminism has convinced women that there are no consequences for their action. On the real world, or in the Islam that they support , they get beat like dogs for mouthing off.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Calculating:
I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I think it's stupid to hold businesses financially accountable for employees actions. How the fuck can they predict human insane behavior.
View Quote

I haven’t been around here very long.  But I know a troll post when I see one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Update: Ok, some update here, apparently the guy was the boyfriend of the actual instacart driver, he was using her profile and car to make the deliveries and get paid. He has apparently fled to new haven according to his GF who spilled the beans to the cops.
View Quote

So much for the theory of vicarious liability.  Now it's a matter of negligence.  Did Instacart have knowledge that there was a proxy for the GF and if so, how long?  The longer the greater the liability.  If this was a first, it's negligible unless you have a real creative personal injury attorney who can prove that it's a "practice" of Instacart to tolerate substitute drivers for the registered driver.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SARS:

Never poke a bear unless you have the means to put it down if it charges.
View Quote

That’s a pretty good one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#40]
A lot of good their background checks do when they don't verify who is actually making the runs to people's houses.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Acting as an agent requires permission/authority from the liable entity (principal).

I guess you could take a swing at attacking implied or apparent authority, but that is a long shot.
View All Quotes

But if the word and the video gets out, that should turn in to money, right?  I figure those civil rights lawyers do that for the same reason even when their client is in the wrong.  I’m not a lawyer and I assume you know more about this than I, but doesn’t bad publicity get checks written?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:46:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#42]
Always have a Garand ready when you tell people to get off your lawn.

With how often dumbasses run jobs on another's account after being "fired" from their own account, I'm surprised Doordash, Instacart, Uber, etc, haven't gone to requiring face ID and fingerprint to open the app and re-verify identity for every run.

OST.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Gary_Plauche:

View Quote

Work more?
avoid crowds?
Attend kid’s event instead of grocery shop?
Avoid impulse grocery store end-cap purchases?
Are the charges absurd? I really don’t know

Rich people outsource their grocery shopping. Just another case of middle class fancy?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#44]

View All Quotes

IC is negligent in having zero checks and balances in who delivers after initial app registration

Originally Posted By Kharn:I'm surprised Doordash, Instacart, Uber, etc, haven't gone to requiring face ID and fingerprint to open the app and re-verify identity for every run.

OST.

Kharn

Smart, simple answer
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Wtf

The dude delivered 6 bags of groceries to the wrong address, apparently her house is easily confused with her neighbors, when she went to get them the guy was leaving and she told him it was the wrong address. He didn't take kindly to that and called her a stupid bitch and she said something along the lines of "get a real job asshole", then he proceeded to try to run her over and beat the shit out of her.

It does sound like the driver may not have been too off the mark with his comment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd dump that video on social media and let it run.

"Woman in hospital after Instacart delivery" "Woman beaten within an inch of her life after Instacart order goes wrong" "Woman badly beaten after Instacart order" etc
View Quote

Yeah, this is the kind of national news that every local news station in the country loves to tease before they go to their first commercial break.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Waterbury is, or was, a shithole when I left the area 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#48]

2.  Should be a female Instacart driver but her boyfriend does the job (didn't even know this was a thing, are you able to select a particular driver or is it random?)

I guess did the boyfriend take the instacart driver's car when he left the area what car did he take? (just wondering, maybe he doesn't have a car )

View Quote

This is the general gist of it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

No offense to your hurt friend but hopefully she learns a valuable lesson that mouthing off has consequences
View Quote

I agree, I’m having that discussion with my wife tonight aswell, even though she carries, I’m going to teach her about conflict avoidance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wokeup912:

Waterbury is, or was, a shithole when I left the area 4 years ago.
View Quote

Certain parts are decent, but she lives in a rather shitty part of the city that I wouldn’t walk to my mailbox without my M4 at the ready.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top