[#1]
Schwinn Predator Team chrome-moly

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
81-84 Pre-freestyle BMX was best BMX

Some great content on IG with refurbished bikes
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You can still feel the dents in my shin bones from the metal petals.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Piledriver2235:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:05:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 549] [#5]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Black and yellow Huffy Pro Thunder with the cheese grater wheels...............great bike
View Quote

Had one too. Changed out the gooseneck with model I can't remember now, and a different front sprocket. A bit hard to get going, but it would let me cruise away from my friends on the neighborhood streets when I did.

Left it on the front porch one night, and well...

ETA: I swapped the factory single gooseneck after coming off jump and the bars slipping. This left me riding the back of my leg on the back tire longer than I cared to. I was wearing shorts at the time and if you look hard, you can still see the mark.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Thank God for the burbs. Our BMX bikes were MX bikes.

Suzuki RM80s and Yamaha YZ80s.
View Quote

Always wanted a dirtbike as a kid, a few friends had them. At 13 i had a 1971 Yamaha 80 that barely ran, did bmx for most of my teens, but by 19 I hit quads and dirt bikes and never looked back. Today at 52 i have a small mx track and ride several times a week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gutter1000:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4405_jpeg-3197826.JPG
Mine looked like this
Attachment Attached File

Still have it hanging in my dad's barn,  pretty rusty in spots last time I looked.
My 7year old son was asking me about what tablet games and stuff I played as a kid.  I laughed and said they didn't exist back then.
He said "in the olden days?"
Little shit.
When he asked what we did for fun I said go outside in the morning and ride bikes til dark.  We were pretty poor and didn't have much after dad got laid off from the steel mill in the early 80s.  But they saved somehow,  and "Santa" gave me the best present a kid in the early 80s could wish for.
Might have to drag it down and see if I can fix it up for the boy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine looked like this
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419134/1000004664_jpg-3197834.JPG
Still have it hanging in my dad's barn,  pretty rusty in spots last time I looked.
My 7year old son was asking me about what tablet games and stuff I played as a kid.  I laughed and said they didn't exist back then.
Little shit.
When he asked what we did for fun I said go outside in the morning and ride bikes til dark.  We were pretty poor and didn't have much after dad got laid off from the steel mill in the early 80s.  But they saved somehow,  and "Santa" gave me the best present a kid in the early 80s could wish for.

View All Quotes

Mine looked like this
Little shit.

I forgot about the Schwinn Predator Atari bike!!!  Earlier than the 86 cro-mo freeforms

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I was the poor.

Not my pic but looks a lot like it except I had a banana seat on mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ICU:
Had a Mongoose first, then GT & finally a Hutch. GT was my favorite…https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16226/31328BCC-009F-4055-BDD4-76EEB460E7D3_jpe-3197609.JPG
View Quote

Fucking Rad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By aquaman67:
View Quote

Me too

. . .and still picking asphalt outa my elbows

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
My first bike was a Huffy pro lightning, I got a chrome mongoose with black skyways after that and rode that thing far and wide for years . All the kids and teens lived on bmx’s back then . It was nothing to see 20 bikes or more laying in the grass in front of my house . Every make and color . We rode to the arcades, bmx and skate shops, mall , movie theaters, girls houses , favorite trails and just explored every where. Built all kinds of ramps and jumps guys had jam boxes and other shit rigged to their bikes . We spent stupid amounts of time learning tricks and freestyling . Going to where everyone else was at . It was a pretty cool childhood. We were about as free as kids could be . I still have that Mongoose and two Redlines .
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh yea. I was into the bikes for sure.

Our crew ruled our neighborhood with Kuwahara, Hutch, GT eddy Fiola's, Redline, and my favorite ride. PK RIPPER!

CW bars, Skyway mags, Z rims, Shimano bear claws, donuts O rings on our grips, laid back seat posts, man those where the days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a splatter paint on black frame  Kuahara. Damn I'm old.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I have flashback nightmares with these.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#16]
Originally Posted By DrKlahn:
Mine was stolen also.
Think that will be the most common theme in this thread.
View Quote

Seaweed - Kid Candy (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Redline RL20 freestyle just like this one, super turquoise!

Diamondback model I can't remember.

And, in a twist of coincidence, I was just thinking about BMX stuff, but in a sad way: Today in history back in 2002, Jay "Lottaguns" Bazner, a semifamous BMXer that was in the NFA gun scene, sometimes-photographer for Small Arms Review magazine, etc., passed away. Hoist a glass to remember a really nice guy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My main BMX was a Redline but it was never stolen from me. It was however a stolen recovery that my dad bought from the original owners son. The guy was my dads boss and he was pretty well off, his kids bike (the Redline) was stolen so he bought him a new one but they later recovered the bike and it had been painted flat black.
I sanded it completely down to metal, repainted it in blue metal flake and bought a new sticker set. I later sold it to a kid in my neighborhood and like most guys I wish I had kept it. I do still have my Sims Stabb mad scientist skateboard thou.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Still have my Scorpion. I should restore it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DDDDCheapAF:
My first bike was a Huffy pro lightning, I got a chrome mongoose with black skyways after that and rode that thing far and wide for years . All the kids and teens lived on bmx’s back then . It was nothing to see 20 bikes or more laying in the grass in front of my house . Every make and color . We rode to the arcades, bmx and skate shops, mall , movie theaters, girls houses , favorite trails and just explored every where. Built all kinds of ramps and jumps guys had jam boxes and other shit rigged to their bikes . We spent stupid amounts of time learning tricks and freestyling . Going to where everyone else was at . It was a pretty cool childhood. We were about as free as kids could be . I still have that Mongoose and two Redlines .
View Quote

All of ^^^^.

Kids today are being shortchanged.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://i.imgur.com/aQ4kiVT.jpg
View All Quotes

Yup.  Probably be banned by all the Karens today.  That said, I thought they looked cool, but I thought the Shimanos looked cooler.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:14:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -DesertFox-] [#21]

Mine was way different, but i'm not surprised since i've never seen another. But i got my MT Racing Silverfox from my cousin as a hand-me-down. But i thought it was a great bike who served me well. Not really anything in the way of upgrades. But i did scavenge a coasterbrake and put it on. Had alot of fun with that, but i don't remember having any tread on my tires.

But i was stupid enough to stash it behind a grocery store for an hour. Was gone by the time i got back. Really angry then and still am now. Not common in the US, but i believe they were really popular in the UK back then. I miss it

ETA: Pic is not mine. But it matches what I had.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Diamondback FS880 with white Magwheels
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a chrome Mongoose Motomag.   Dad about had a stroke when he learned what Mom paid for it and then he had to assemble it.   I rode the absolute hell out of that thing, eventually cracking the frame in a couple of places.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -DesertFox-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245471/IMG_0145-3197871.jpg

Mine was way different, but i'm not surprised since i've never seen another. But i got my MT Racing Silverfox from my cousin as a hand-me-down. But i thought it was a great bike who served me well. Not really anything in the way of upgrades. But i did scavenge a coasterbrake and put it on. Had alot of fun with that, but i don't remember having any tread on my tires.

But i was stupid enough to stash it behind a grocery store for an hour. Was gone by the time i got back. Really angry then and still am now. Not common in the US, but i believe they were really popular in the UK back then. I miss it

ETA: Pic is not mine. But it matches what I had.

View Quote

That's a sweet ride.  Mine was set up much like that but blue/white.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

Yup.  Probably be banned by all the Karens today.  That said, I thought they looked cool, but I thought the Shimanos looked cooler.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

Negative.

https://www.porkchopbmx.com/vp-747-3rd-gen-bear-trap-xc-ii-bmx-alloy--46156513.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#26]
I wanted a Mongoose, but Mom got me a Huffy.

2nd bike was a lower mid tier BMXer, but I never got the Mongoose.

Oh well, a couple years later I was into ATVs and dirtbikes anyway. And electric guitars.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread got me to get my bike out and ride out front, I can still bunny hop like a boss but the brake pads need help. Wont grip. My original was a ‘85 or ‘86 pro performer i spent hours every night on, and i could pull off a cherrypicker 30% of the time…lol.

The freewheel is a little sticky, shot some wd40 and is ok but be good to replace. This bike is a1986 performer, but still 4130. The ‘87 started to cheapen the bikes up. The ‘86 was just a stripped down pro performer. I dont remember the gearing so high…or I’m pushing more weight at 180..lol

This is my evolution, bmx, to dirt bikes, to tractor. Once i was 19 i started mx and trail riding/racing and never looked back. Still ride multiple times a week as it’s the only thing that keeps me from wigging out(older guys understand).

Great thread!

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
still have my Hutch Trickstar, really should dig it out and put it together.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gutter1000] [#29]
Originally Posted By Rheinmetall792:
I wanted a Mongoose, but Mom got me a Huffy.

2nd bike was a mid tier BMXer, but I never got the Mongoose.

Oh well, a couple years later I was into ATVs and dirtbikes anyway. And electric guitars.....
View Quote

Same.  Paper route savings got me an fs-1.  Hard to find old frames to restore.  1986 a great year for bmx and freestyle

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#30]
For anyone that keeps up with modern BMX, I had a few questions.

-Why do so many modern BMX riders have their seats lowered so much with the nose of the saddle angled upwards? I can understand if you're doing crazy tricks on a track and need clearance, but almost every BMX bike I see riding around the city has this setup. Growing up we always had our seats higher so you could sit and be comfortable riding around.

-Who do so many BMX riders not have brakes? Back in the day you would you have front/rear brakes on a freestyle bike and a single brake on your BMX bike. But now I'm seeing no brakes at all.
I have a few "fixed gear" track bikes with no brakes but you can slow down by putting back pressure on the cranks or even skid the rear tire. Foot retention (clipless pedals, pedal straps, etc..) are required for this though. Always thought BMX bikes just had a freewheel (the cheaper bikes had a coaster brake), so pedaling backwards does nothing. How do you slow down?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boolzi] [#31]
I’d like to also point out the tricks have evolved.

[youtube]shorts/xw_-CLexLCE[/youtube]

..do shorts not load?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By boolzi:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xw_-CLexLCE
View Quote

remove the "shorts/"

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#33]

remove the "shorts/"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_-CLexLCE
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boolzi:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xw_-CLexLCE

remove the "shorts/"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw_-CLexLCE

Thanks, i just edited to ask.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I started racing in 78 and "retired" is 1986.
I have my 82 GT pro and my 81 MCS Magnum 240. I won a lot of races on those 2 bikes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#35]
I had a late 70s early 80s Cook Brothers Racing bike with Z rims and a set of Skyway Tuff wheels depending on my mood. It was fitted with blue A'me grips, bear trap pedals and a shotgun seat.  I foolishly sold it to finance my second MTB.

Looked like this but in blue:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

-Why do so many modern BMX riders have their seats lowered so much with the nose of the saddle angled upwards? I can understand if you're doing crazy tricks on a track and need clearance, but almost every BMX bike I see riding around the city has this setup. Growing up we always had our seats higher so you could sit and be comfortable riding around.

-Who do so many BMX riders not have brakes? Back in the day you would you have front/rear brakes on a freestyle bike and a single brake on your BMX bike. But now I'm seeing no brakes at all.
I have a few "fixed gear" track bikes with no brakes but you can slow down by putting back pressure on the cranks or even skid the rear tire. Foot retention (clipless pedals, pedal straps, etc..) are required for this though. Always thought BMX bikes just had a freewheel (the cheaper bikes had a coaster brake), so pedaling backwards does nothing. How do you slow down?
View Quote

Go to 2:40.  Sometimes you just need wheels and grips.

BEST OF: BMX | X Games Minneapolis 2019
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Still have my Schwinn Predator from early 80s.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
Still have my Schwinn Predator from early 80s.
View Quote

Pics!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I had the 85 Streetwise, like this

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schwinn/81174

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nehi:

Badass!!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#41]

I forgot about the Schwinn Predator Atari bike!!!  Earlier than the 86 cro-mo freeforms

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4409_jpeg-3197847.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4408_jpeg-3197848.JPG
View All Quotes

Mine looked like this
Little shit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4409_jpeg-3197847.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338038/IMG_4408_jpeg-3197848.JPG

Ohhh, this picture reminded me of the day after new bike day! Going to town and willfully removing and destroying every bit of safety equipment! Chain quard, nope! Reflectors,  fu*k all that! TODAY WE DIE LIKE PATRIOTS!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mauritius:

Hello fellow PK Ripper..er.
View Quote

In the 90s I had a GT Pro Series that turned into a Hoffman Flash over the years. Replaced with a PK Ripper which got stolen.

Fast forward to last summer, took my kids to the BMX track on a whim and they loved it. So I bought another PK Ripper. Lol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
My buddy had a Haro. Nice bike.  I couldn't afford it
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GuitarsnGuns:
I had a SE Racing PK Ripper with Landing Gear forks. Redline 3 pc cranks and Uniseat. Blue trim

SE racing getting some mention in here.

PK Ripper kids!

Mine

Attachment Attached File

They don't make them like they used to. I have a SE Racing OM Duro 27.5 now but only because it was on sale, 40% off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:

View Quote

Last fall, I put together 3 DK General Lee bikes. Bought the longest seatposts I could find. Took pics of each build as I went along. The flack/grief/somewhat-good-natured-ribbing I took for not having the seats down in the pics was disturbing. I liked it tall back in the day for riding. My knees like them tall today....for riding.  One guy was like, "put it down and take the pic. Put it up to ride."  LOL. That requires work.  And scratches the seatpost. No thanks.

Picked up a used Gary Young signature Sunday Soundwave last fall.  No brakes. Had to add at least a rear. You want to talk about a light, smoooooooooth rolling bike.........
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a ton of them mid to late 90s:
-GT
-Dyno
-Diamond Backs
-97 schwinn predator (favorite)

Currently have a specialized 415 Fatboy that needs restored.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#50]
My Predator was also stolen but got it back with my dads help. I will get some pictures this weekend.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top