Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2024 11:50:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal]
I have a small collection of a few dozen firearms that nicely cover all my needs. A few of them are collectibles or just "nice to have." Usually, when I get a yearly bonus, I buy myself something nice, and sometimes, I get an urge to get something else midyear.

But not this year. I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE. Nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting...just not buying any more guns

Am I broken? I want to get that feeling of "new and shiny" back! Maybe I should go to the LGC and see if something makes me all tingly when I fondle it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Samal:
I have a small collection of a few dozen firearms that nicely cover all my needs. A few of them are collectibles or just "nice to have." Usually, when I get a yearly bonus, I buy myself something nice, and sometimes, I get an urge to get something else midyear.

But not this year I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE, nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

Am I broken? I want to get that feeling of "new and shiny" back! Maybe I should go to the LGC and see if something makes me all tingly when I fondle it.
View Quote

go get your testosterone level checked,  sounds like your dick fell off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:53:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#3]
I know the feeling.  I as hard as it is to say, I have more than I need right now.   In fact I am considering downsizing.   My son is not into firearms and he is an only child so not sure what my surviving family members will do with my collection.

I have not bought a firearm in over 4 years.

I am focusing on buying ammo and other accessories.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a Hi Point and pimp it out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:56:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#5]
Optics, wizard eyes, thermal, title two stuff, armor, reloading/ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#6]
My hobbies rotate.. one year it's car shit, the next gun shit... This year it's computer shit.  Built the wife a PC, built a storage/media server, and built myself a really cool small form factor PC.

Probably be gun shit next year when my form 4s from last year start coming in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#7]
My safes are full (to the point that I scrape shit up removing and replacing guns). I don't want more safes. So I've been buying more ammo to shoot what I have more. I barely even look at new guns in my LGS anymore. I've got most of the cool shit that I wanted. I even stopped caring about the cool shit that I used to think I really wanted (S&W .500 and a .338 Lapua of some sort).
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Same here, money is not the problem, I just don't want anything. I haven't fired most of my firearms in years. I started to sell off duplicates and calibers I will never use.  I think if the Ar market was better I would sell most of them as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I know the feeling.  I as hard as it is to say, I have more than I need right now.   In fact I am considering downsizing.   My son is not into firearms and he is an only child so not sure what my surviving family members will do with my collection.

I have not bought a firearm in over 4 years.

I am focusing on buying ammo and other accessories.
View Quote

If it wasn’t for my son I would have downsized significantly.  If I buy something, I’m buying to pass down to him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheDirtyLarry] [#10]
Do you make your own holsters? Reload? Have a range? Buy ammo! Also ever taken any training classes? Shoot idpa or uspsa? Without a doubt idpa is the most fun I've had with a gun in my hand. Black powder is cool too. A replica 36 cal revolver isn't to expensive to buy or feed.

If you're looking for another hobby then workout when you're bored. You'll either get jacked or you'll find something funner to do
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GI-45] [#11]
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
Buy ammo.
View Quote

This. If I could, I'd tell 20-something me to buy LOTS of ammo instead of guns.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy food and ammo
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Suppressors?
scopes?
NVThermal
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By barsik:

View Quote

That's the brilliant sort of thing that I would expect from a 23er. Just when people start to forget about 2013's bumper crop of "wise" oracles, someone strolls in and fucks it up for the rest of 'em. I salute you Mr 2013 Smart Guy. You rock... or something.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
reloading is good, not to mention the ability to make your own "ammo".

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I get it, OP. I don’t even get to shoot all of them as it is and I don’t need any more extra stuff just sitting around. Have been buying more ammo, but not guns. Might get a wild hair sometime, but cash will be there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:08:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#17]
LOL. TST level are checked and fine :)
I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting... not at all.  I just equipped my son for his CCL needs... that was the gun I bought last year...
It's just I lost interest in the acquisition of new shooting toys.  The AWB in IL didn't help, as my options are reduced now... AUG is probably one thing I wouldn't mind to get, but can't legally any more...

I do have a small ammo and components fort that I replenish as I use it up...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been in and out of guns 2 or 3 times in my life now.
Sometimes other things keep your interest.

Never sold anything during those times though. Each time I get back into it I'm like a kid on Christmas going through and using all the shit I've accumulated over the years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Taste changes. I think going forward the only 9mm semi auto pistols I'll buy are Glock magazine compatible with some exceptions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Firearms do nothing for me. Haven’t for a while.

What keeps me engaged in the pro-2A sphere is purely ideological at this point. The 2A wasn’t written so I could have a fun hobby. It was written for the preservation of liberty.

Invest in force multipliers—NV, thermal, LBE/armor, comms, drones…and most importantly training, both individual and in a team/community context. If nothing else, you’ll never be bored again
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy ammo.
View Quote

I think the first post nails it.  I've seen the term "salad days", and upon reflection have lived them. So, now, where are the opportunities? Seems like 9mm can be had at very reasonable prices to stock deep.  Other calibers, not so much. Additionally, NV and thermal seem to be reasonable for the common man.  I also think investing in training can be a very good investment, especially if you pass that knowledge along (wish I would practice that more myself). But, learn to utilize the tools you have collected to their maximum capabilities...and yours.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Ammo, plates, thermal, NV.
Lots of things to spend money on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Perhaps a bow fishing bow might be the thing this year.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#24]
OR... Branch out. Black powder revolvers, maybe?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#25]

But not this year. I literally can't make myself want a gun badly enough to spend money on it. The bonus was good this year, and I could easily spend a couple of grand. But I don't feel any excitement anymore browsing gunstores, EE. Nothing catches my eye long enough or hard enough.

I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting...just not buying any more guns

View Quote

Work on competence... beating people beats buying toys every day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: braapJob] [#27]
Buy ammo.
View Quote

Went on a tear buying rifles I wanted, then realized I had barely anything to feed them. Then went on a tear buying ammo. Buying a grail gun, a Mk12 with OCM5, and think I'm done with rifles for a long while unless something really gets me excited, like maybe PSA's-M110-At-Home or their Krink if they release in 300BLK.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I switch hobbies.

Usually Guns -> PC Games -> Toys in a cycle

You're simply in a different cycle right now. Just wait, you will see a gun and get that impulse.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

That's the brilliant sort of thing that I would expect from a 23er. Just when people start to forget about 2013's bumper crop of "wise" oracles, someone strolls in and fucks it up for the rest of 'em. I salute you Mr 2013 Smart Guy. You rock... or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

I found it quite hilarious
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
OR... Branch out. Black powder revolvers, maybe?
View Quote

I really thought about doing this….I really wanted a 1851, then I looked for caps….nope
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m with you OP.  I own about 40 firearms.  I have lately been giving some of them to my two oldest sons.  I have just a few guns I shoot anymore, but I really enjoy shooting them.  I have derived more satisfaction from seeing my sons enjoy the firearms I gave them.  Some of them are heirlooms.  My other children will be getting their guns as well.  Within a decade I see myself only having several guns.  Other guys may have hundreds of guns, to each their own.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#32]
LOL. TST level are checked and fine :)
I shoot, I reload, I compete.  I haven't lost interest in shooting... not at all.  I just equipped my son for his CCL needs... that was the gun I bought last year...
It's just I lost interest in the acquisition of new shooting toys.  The AWB in IL didn't help, as my options are reduced now... AUG is probably one thing I wouldn't mind to get, but can't legally any more...

I do have a small ammo and components fort that I replenish as I use it up...
View Quote

I’d move to a free (for now) state then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been from CMP Garands to cartel blinged 1911s and back with other stops along the way at suppressors and rocket launchers and can't seem to find anything I actually really want either.

As others have said, training and ammo.  I signed up for a couple training classes starting next month.  I also want to shoot a match this year.  I figure one of those things will point me in my next direction
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I lost the desire to buy more once I realized I had every category covered and enough generic ARs to loan out incase of emergency. So I started buying suppressors, mounts, and wizard eyes and the things needed for that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I never get tired of finding guns that I didn't know I needed.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Ammo and training.  Other goods may not be bad idea either.  I.E. food stuffs, first aid, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:09:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: migradog] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I would like to get down to a few dozen someday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I go in spurts. I may not buy anything for a few years then boom, 6 firearms within a few months.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Then buy some suppressors, ammo, or take a training class.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Buy ammo.
View Quote

and mags
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#43]
Originally Posted By terryj:
I go in spurts. I may not buy anything for a few years then boom, 6 firearms within a few months.
View Quote
I come in spurts. I go in a steady stream.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I have one or two firearms I keep my out for, other then those, my buying is over.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Completely burned out on modern stuff.
Guns if the west have been my hobby for a few years and love it.

No money to buy new ones with a one and a half year old ranch business so I enjoy reloading when I get 15 minutes every week or so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Nah. I know what you mean. Nothing really piques my interest enough to buy right now. Maybe someday.

So I just buy ammo, go to school and go shoot a match once a month or so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I've gone through that stage. I've often wondered why I have spent so much on redundancies when I as one person can only use so much. Recently I've sold more than I bought.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Perhaps a bow fishing bow might be the thing this year.
View Quote

Do It! Fun hobby.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Kinda where I'm at.  Acquired every thing I want.  

Buying ammo and reloading components.  

Also buying food processing stuff and equipment maintenance supplies. Shits coming.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Have you considered buying quality knives or swords? It’s a whole different world that will take your money just like guns. I fell into that rabbit hole a few years back and now just this month bought my first rifle. 😎
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top