Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:58 PM EDT

A judge in Canada has cleared the way for a 27-year-old autistic woman to be euthanized despite objections from her dad, who says she's 'healthy' — just 'vulnerable' due to her mental health problems.

In his ruling, Justice Colin Feasby acknowledged that the doctor-assisted death would cause the father 'profound grief,' but said the young woman's right to end her own life trumped his feelings.

A publication ban protects the identities of the dad, the daughter, and her doctors. The father is referred to as WV, and she as MV.

'MV's dignity and right to self-determination outweighs the important matters raised by WV and the harm that he will suffer in losing MV,' Feasby wrote in his 34-page ruling, which was issued this week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13244691/Alberta-judge-greenlights-euthanasia-autistic-woman-DESPITE-objection-dad.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
*EXTREMELY* torn on this! on one hand, I can see how someone might realize that they are truly fucked on having any form of normal life... on the other, the anguish of knowing that you are going to lose a loved one, regardless of how screwed they might be.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Insanity
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s almost like the government is encouraging people to opt out of life.  That free healthcare sure is awesome.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
It’s almost like the government is encouraging people to opt out of life.  That free healthcare sure is awesome.  

View Quote

Its a necessary component of free healthcare.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kiju:
*EXTREMELY* torn on this! on one hand, I can see how someone might realize that they are truly fucked on having any form of normal life... on the other, the anguish of knowing that you are going to lose a loved one, regardless of how screwed they might be.
View Quote

I disagree. If they can recognize thier condition enough to want to kill themselves they are more high functioning than they think and are in a no different position than a "normal" person in a depressed state.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FireMissionDivision] [#6]
Title is wrong. The judge didn't make any judgement on what justifies the woman's suicide. Canadian law says you can get assisted-dying if you go through the certification process, which this woman had already done successfully. There is no legal mechanism for reviewing that certification (the judge was critical of this fact, suggesting it's an oversight in the system), so the judge had no option to rule that her reasons for assisted dying were insufficient. All he had to decide was whether a father could prevent his adult daughter from doing what she is otherwise legally entitled to do on the basis that he would be personally harmed in the form of grief. Judge said no.

We don't even know what the reasons were that she gave in the assisted dying certification process; we just know that she happens to have autism and ADHD and the father claims she doesn't have any other health conditions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kiju:
View Quote

Thing is, no one considers that all of us have our challenges and "tests" on this planet where maybe our "test" and challenge is how we aid the less fortunate (this autistic woman) to be part of our society - not to kill it cuz it's gonna be an inconvenience.

Evil, just pure evil out there....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:

Thing is, no one considers that all of us have our challenges and "tests" on this planet where maybe our "test" and challenge is how we aid the less fortunate (this autistic woman) to be part of our society - not to kill it cuz it's gonna be an inconvenience.

View Quote

I am on the autistic spectrum, I have read of such people in Europe doing this.  You can judge her, this situation, and yet at the same time you can’t because really, you don’t known what it’s like and the misery that comes from such a state.  I myself consider my plight a curse, but for now, I keep going on, despite going through inhuman misery over these last few years, but I won’t judge this woman.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:

I am on the autistic spectrum, I have read of such people in Europe doing this.  You can judge her, this situation, and yet at the same time you can’t because really, you don’t known what it’s like and the misery that comes from such a state.  I myself consider my plight a curse, but for now, I keep going on, despite going through inhuman misery over these last few years, but I won’t judge this woman.
View Quote

The right government agent psychologist could easily talk these folks into this...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sir, you’re in GD. One of the very few things our membership is well qualified to speak to is autism.

That and CPAPs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
She is of no value to The State.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By greyninja:

A judge in Canada has cleared the way for a 27-year-old autistic woman to be euthanized despite objections from her dad, who says she's 'healthy'   just 'vulnerable' due to her mental health problems.

In his ruling, Justice Colin Feasby acknowledged that the doctor-assisted death would cause the father 'profound grief,' but said the young woman's right to end her own life trumped his feelings.

A publication ban protects the identities of the dad, the daughter, and her doctors. The father is referred to as WV, and she as MV.

'MV's dignity and right to self-determination outweighs the important matters raised by WV and the harm that he will suffer in losing MV,' Feasby wrote in his 34-page ruling, which was issued this week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13244691/Alberta-judge-greenlights-euthanasia-autistic-woman-DESPITE-objection-dad.html
View Quote
Canada is a Nazi govt now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By xd675:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd675:
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
It's almost like the government is encouraging people to opt out of life.  That free healthcare sure is awesome.  

Absolutely.  The government can't afford to treat unhealthy people, especially chronically ill patients who require long-term care, so they get them to kill themselves instead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't judge someone else because I can't live in their head. I can however judge someone that leads a vulnerable person down the wrong path.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
I can't judge someone else because I can't live in their head. I can however judge someone that leads a vulnerable person down the wrong path.
View Quote

Profound
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
As the father of an autistic child, I cannot comment on what I would do to that doctor and judge
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Tony7189:
Insanity
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Nazi Germany Eugenics adopted by globalists.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Canada wants everyone dead so healthcare can be cheap.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:
As the father of an autistic child, I cannot comment on what I would do to that doctor and judge
View Quote

For what? Supporting the decision of the daughter in question?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Her life, her rules?

If she ate a bullet or some pills, nobody here would know of it. Only because it’s assisted is it even here.

I disagree with her choice but it’s her choice to make.  I feel absolutely heartbroken for her father though. I hope he can make some inroads before it goes much further

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Blind_Squirrel:
Her life, her rules?

If she ate a bullet or some pills, nobody here would know of it. Only because it’s assisted is it even here.

I disagree with her choice but it’s her choice to make.  I feel absolutely heartbroken for her father though. I hope he can make some inroads before it goes much further

View Quote

If she ate a bullet, Canada would arrest her father for allowing access to the gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Her life, her rules?

View Quote

You can't kill yourself.

That's illegal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Riter:
View Quote

THIS ^^

Evil people wanting "perfection"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Eugenics with a new name
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightShootinGal] [#26]

View All Quotes

Helen Keller was def/blind - yet, she found a way to exist without blowing her brains out....back in a time when we didn't have the technology, medicine, etc. we have now.

I get it, unless you're in someone's shoes you can't know what's going on with them - but this is freakin' 2024. While modern medicine can't save everyone, I don't believe so casually throwing suicide as a resolution to everything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Helen Keller was def/blind - yet, she found a way to exist without blowing her brains out....back in a time when we didn't have the technology, medicine, etc. we have now.

I get it, unless you're in someone's shoes you can't know what's going on with them - but this is freakin' 2024. While modern medicine can't save everyone, I don't believe so casually throwing suicide as a resolution to everything.
View All Quotes

You had to go and bring up Helen Keller, didn't you.
There goes this thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Jesus… That’s just awful all around.

Y’all remember the south park episode where stan’s grandpa was trying to kill himself? The one where the kids ask several people about assisted suicide, until they decided to ask Jesus, whom answered, “My son… I’m not touching that with a sixty foot pole.”

This kind of situation is exactly why.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I think you have a point, just at the same time, so few people are on that spectrum, they don't know what it's like.  There is variance even among people who are on the autistic spectrum of course, that's why it is called a spectrum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Her life, her rules?

View Quote

Fucking beautiful.  The notion that the state’s doctors can talk your mentally challenged children into killing themselves and then helping them along framed as freedom.  

Chef kiss.  Just perfection.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#31]
How soon until the involuntary killings?

It’s the next step.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#32]
itshappening.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
View Quote

"useless breathers"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

It's the next step.
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

It's the next step.
View Quote
Canada will soon mandate end-of-care for the "terminally ill".  If you have something the doctors don't think you will be able to easily recover from then they will pull the plug by cutting off the money.

Eventually the only people the Canadian health care system will cover will be the young and fit.  If you're old, sick, or it costs too much to keep you alive, then you'll be on your own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#36]
At one point in my life I begged God to kill me. Bad times ensued.  I nearly ended up homeless. My health was horrible.

But 7 years after my pleading, He blessed me with a wonderful wife and a wonderful life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Fucking beautiful.  The notion that the state’s doctors can talk your mentally challenged children into killing themselves and then helping them along framed as freedom.  

Chef kiss.  Just perfection.
View Quote

The article says she's autistic, not non-functionally retarded. I don't agree with her decision, but she was deemed capable of making it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
The Germans pioneered a program like this .
View Quote

Indeed.  Ironically, Hans Asperger was involved.

I find this story sad.  People fight, give up, look to end it, hunker down and endure it.  Here is a woman who feels like her best option is death.  That's on society.  Euthanasia is not support.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

And has a "R" behind her name.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

This is the result of abortion on demand. 50 years of propaganda normalizing the killing of unwanted human beings.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Canada will soon mandate end-of-care for the "terminally ill".  If you have something the doctors don't think you will be able to easily recover from then they will pull the plug by cutting off the money.

Eventually the only people the Canadian health care system will cover will be the young and fit.  If you're old, sick, or it costs too much to keep you alive, then you'll be on your own.
View Quote

Hopefully the young and fit realize what their fate is and make some political changes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By hugh1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hugh1:

Ah yes, the dreaded Canadian Republican
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Jack Kevorkian may have worked out of a van. But he at least only “worked with” terminally ill patients
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Logan’s Run- a blueprint
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#46]
As someone raising a son on the spectrum......I would go scorched earth.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Evil has enveloped this World.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Dark thoughts
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Same of same.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top