User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:55:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paul:
The difference is the CWIS is computer controlled using an agile mount and a pair of radars, one tracking the target, the other tracking the rounds.

View Quote

This.

Overall, a flying CIWS is not a terrible concept.

Putting R2D2 sideways or upside down on a C-130 seems more plausible.

Your real problem is the USAF is not interested in doing anything other than shooting down enemy fighter aircraft. So they won't buy or build anything that isn't primarily engineered to do that. What weapons the enemy actually has and uses is irrelevant to the zipper suits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If a Spad can get ATA kills I guess a Warthog can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:29:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#4]
Fixed forward firing gun is miserable compared to an R2D2 gun turret.

A large fast drone with an R2D2 mounted on top and bottom might provide a roving point defense.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Pesty:
I'm sure I read in here about an A10 getting an air to air kill on a helicopter in a gulf war

I may have dreamed that though
View Quote
I remember that too.

I also remember a pilot that had parachuted in WW2 getting an air kill with his 1911 on an enemy pilot that was strafing him as he hung from the chute.

War creates necessities.  Necessities can create extraordinary events. Extraordinary events aren't the basis for effective combat operations.

GD get's ridiculous about the A10's gun and fixed forward firing guns on fixed wing fighters and attack aircraft in general.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:
People fantasize about shredding bomber formations with that gun all the time. Get it in War thunder and have fun. It's not gonna happen at scale irl.
View Quote

I go out of my way to bully A-10s flying an A-4N in War Thunder. They are so fat and slow, they look so sad and pathetic dumping flares and turning hopelessly as I apply 30mm. If I miss, oh well they have no more energy so I just go in to the vertical and fall in right behind them again.  Dumb slow planes are free RP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 5:35:05 AM EDT
[#7]
It wouldn't need even a 50 cal or sidewinder.

A single 7.62 machine gun on a drone would do it.  Or develop a cheap anti-drone missile launched from a drone.  A heatseaker that flies at mach 1 with a 1 mile range and 1 pound warhead is all you need.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gurthy:
Marine 1 is a helicopter
View Quote

And a Christmas ornament…
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By m200maker:
An A-10 with today’s technology would be the shotgun in the sky. An absolute drone killer.
View Quote

It would be a slow, shitty, inefficient way to do it.

The speed alone would make it difficult to respond to multiple drones.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Shaheds only cruise at about 115mph. An A-10 flies slow enough that it could just settle in behind one with plenty of time to get it in the funnel for a gun kill
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Shaheds only cruise at about 115mph. An A-10 flies slow enough that it could just settle in behind one with plenty of time to get it in the funnel for a gun kill

A conga line of bomb drones with some air-to-air drones mixed in sounds like an easy way to stack up A-10 corpses if anyone tried that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SBR300BLK:
People fantasize about shredding bomber formations with that gun all the time. Get it in War thunder and have fun. It's not gonna happen at scale irl.
View Quote

Get 3 in Warthunder and make it rain
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I read that as “Can an AR-10 engage air targets?”  So I’m thinking, Well, if they’re low enough…
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top