BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
I didn't think modern ships put out smoke like that.

Full power (reverse)? Trying to fire it back up?  Generators firing?
View Quote

Ship bunker oil is one step above tar.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Damn, this is not going to be good. Not an engineer, but that seems like a poor bridge design.
View Quote

Ain’t that the truth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By glklvr:
Guarantee you the new Freddie Gray Memorial Bridge will look like the replacement Skyway Bridge.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33962/CnRFnUOWgAATgz6_jpg-3169729.JPG
View Quote

Rent free in your head.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]

That's an awful lot of tugs around her trackline just before hitting the bridge. Don't know how maneuvering in and out of there is so can't say if the tugs stay with the ship that long, or if maybe they knew something was wrong and had called for assistance.

Wind, tide/current conditions and other environmental factors all have an affect on a ship's movement. You lose power and have a strong current, it can set the ship wherever it wants. We'll have to wait for the NTSB to recover the VDR (voyage data recorder, like an airplane's black box) and review it to get an idea of what happened.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:

It’s still wild driving over the bridge while a cruise ship or large cargo ship is going underneath it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:

No kidding.  Some may remember the Sunshine Skyway bridge disaster down in Tampa Bay, late 80s I guess.  I wasn't there for it, but rode across the replacement span at night before the original was taken down, and it scared the shit out of me seeing the end where it broke off, in the dark it was like a horror movie scene.  I get sweaty palms driving across large bridges all the time.

It’s still wild driving over the bridge while a cruise ship or large cargo ship is going underneath it.

I checked the wiki and the Sunshine Skyway crash happened in 1980.  It must've been around 1985 when I rode over it.  My mom and step dad lived in St Pete then, and we were heading towards Bradenton.  I was in the back seat looking out the window, too young to drive then.  I remember it was down lower to the right.  Kinda foggy that night, just creepy all around.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Welp, baltimore’s fucked for the time being. Glad I’m not working anywhere near that shithole.

Not sure how the fuck this happens, I thought all bridges around major ports had buffer islands to prevent large ships from striking pylons.

Granted, something that big may not have cared, that’s a whole lotta ass to try and stop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By zercool:

Ship bunker oil is one step above tar.
View Quote

You aren't allowed to maneuver on heavy fuel to mitigate the possibility of this occurrence. Ships have to change over to burning diesel (low sulphur these days) prior to entering harbor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By brass:

This one was allegedly able to either block or withstand an impact as it was rated clear for HAZMAT Traffic on the roadway.  That is usually reserved for things that won't fail easily.

View Quote
Not really. You drive by HAZMAT trucks literally everyday on most roads.   They are everywhere.

Hazmat isn't high level nuclear waste or nuke weapons.  It's lots and lots of things we use everyday.  They restrict routes through things like tunnels because of the fire risk, they don't evaluate the structural strength or design standards of things like bridges beyond weight capacity for everyday hazmat.  

Getting smoked by something that weighs as much as an aircraft carrier is far outside the design basis for that structure.

Getting dropped into the ocean is actually one of less bad situstions that hazmat responders might face.   No fires, no explosions, lots of dilution.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ChengSMGT:

You aren't allowed to maneuver on heavy fuel to mitigate the possibility of this occurrence. Ships have to change over to burning diesel (low sulphur these days) prior to entering harbor.
View Quote

TIL.

They must have run out of DEF and it went into limp mode?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Have they blamed it on Trump yet?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I suspect this will be one hell of a swiss cheese model.  We already know one hole - the bridge had no protection.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Who_Me:

That's what I'm thinking also.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5352/GJlobFqXwAEAP2s_jpg-3169731.JPG
Looks like they dropped anchor likely to try to stop the ship.

That's what I'm thinking also.

Probably next to impossible to grab onto any of the sludge on the bottom.

All that stuff hitting the bottom of the river, and the efforts to remove the debris, is going to cause a colossal ecologic mess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

All that stuff hitting the bottom of the river, and the efforts to remove the debris, is going to cause a colossal ecologic mess.
View Quote
I assume the main channel gets dredged on occasion to maintain depth?   When the rescue recovery phase is done the crane barges will show up and it will all just get torched up into chunks and set on other barges and sold for scrap.

If there is toxic crap in the silt the process shouldn't stir it up much more than it already is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#17]
I assume Baltimore harbor uses pilots and this couldn’t be some Chicom kicking things off? I hope… that’s a 10’s of billions of dollars even right there.

I wonder if the nav/engine/stearing system was hacked… there is no fucking way this happens by accident.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I would imagine the next bridge will have huge concrete/steel barriers protecting the columns way in advance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Oh shit.  Mechanical failure I am guessing?  That ship wasn't even close to where it should have been.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-water-070114899.html
View Quote
The news is making my head hurt.  My brother was a Houston Ship pilot for over 20 years and sailed over 5000 ships in/out of the port.  The ship was outbound and you can see the container terminal in the distance from the bridge so it had not gone very far.  Assuming a pilot was aboard they already know what happened.  I will speculate that it is one of three things 1) the pilot gave an helm order that was misunderstood and the helmsman steered an incorrect course 2) engine failure while underway so the ship had no steering 3) steering failure.   Engine and steering failures are not uncommon.    There is always a possibility some other vessel had one of these issues that caused the Dali to take evasive action, but I doubt that.  USCG Vessel Traffic will have exact plots of that ship and all others in the area.

The ships in port are going to be stuck for a while as clearing the channel is going to be no quick task.  There will not be a new bridge for years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn. What a tragedy. Hope not too many lives lost. I just had two vehicles brought into the port, arrived Thursday.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By brass:

They need to be putting up a few rings of ablative pylon islands to reduce impact force for when it is hit.   Their "Impact rated" designs haven't worked out so well for them in practice.

--ETA:  The utility/marker lights have them, but not the bridge...  

https://i.imgur.com/5BWq7D4.png
View Quote

I wonder how much crash protection had been added since the span was built. Container ships have gotten a lot bigger since those days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By clearedoverhead:
The Baltimore beltway traffic is going to be epic
View Quote

That traffic to the west of the bridge from Glen Burnie going back to I70 is bad enough

I was cursing up a storm in November during rush hour trying to get back to west va

Now it be epically worse
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#24]

A crew from Singapore fucked this up?

Their whole families are gonna be arrested and caned for this I bet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lifter19:
Scanner just said 20 construction workers were on the bridge and also said the ship will not answer the radio.
View Quote

Weird. Hopefully nothing is in one of those containers that could cause further damage.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:
Baseless speculation here. With the bridge taken out it's going to force a majority of traffic to use the tunnels. If it was an intentional act I'd expect a follow up.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
I assume Baltimore harbor uses pilots and this couldn't be some Chicom kicking things off? I hope  that's a 10's of billions of dollars even right there.
View Quote
Pilots aren't captains. Captains are still responsible legally even when a pilot is on board.  They are still in charge.

If they had a mechanical failure there wasn't much anyone could have done. As close as they were to the port I'm kind of surprised there weren't tugs closer.   Maybe it had bow thrusters but looking at the AIS data it made a 180 off the dock, seems like it would have needed tugs for that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:47:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gpoman] [#28]
Baltimore Co. Fire Chief said no signs of terrorism or an intentional act.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By gpoman:
View Quote

Would they really come out this early and say if it were?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Same ship that hit the port of Antwerp years ago.

Mega boxship Dali allided with pier at Port of Antwerp

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:

View All Quotes

Doesn't it usually turn out when they say it's NOT terrorism or intentional this early that it 100% was?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By xd341:
I assume the main channel gets dredged on occasion to maintain depth?   When the rescue recovery phase is done the crane barges will show up and it will all just get torched up into chunks and set on other barges and sold for scrap.

If there is toxic crap in the silt the process shouldn't stir it up much more than it already is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

There used to be a huge paint plant right next to the bridge/road and the water was sooo bad they had warnings about eating any fish/seafood from that area.

The paint plant used to leave a dust on everything.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Don’t know. That’s what we said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:52:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#35]
Originally Posted By cool-e:
The news is making my head hurt.  My brother was a Houston Ship pilot for over 20 years and sailed over 5000 ships in/out of the port.  The ship was outbound and you can see the container terminal in the distance from the bridge so it had not gone very far.  Assuming a pilot was aboard they already know what happened.  I will speculate that it is one of three things 1) the pilot gave an helm order that was misunderstood and the helmsman steered an incorrect course 2) engine failure while underway so the ship had no steering 3) steering failure.   Engine and steering failures are not uncommon.    There is always a possibility some other vessel had one of these issues that caused the Dali to take evasive action, but I doubt that.  USCG Vessel Traffic will have exact plots of that ship and all others in the area.

The ships in port are going to be stuck for a while as clearing the channel is going to be no quick task.  There will not be a new bridge for years.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cool-e:
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Oh shit.  Mechanical failure I am guessing?  That ship wasn't even close to where it should have been.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-water-070114899.html

Where is your brother a pilot?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#36]
livestream

Port of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland USA | StreamTime LIVE
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I sailed under a few very large bridges back in the day, and that possibility had occurred to me then, but I hadn't thought about it for decades. Prayers to the rescuers and those who needs rescuing. Does this stopper the entire port? Never been there, sorry. Not only the stop of traffic, but how many businesses upstream just closed indefinitely? How fast can they clear a useable channel?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Pretty third world. Not what I want to wake up to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:55:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Freehand:
Same ship that hit the port of Antwerp years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0g7CGvnPxs
View Quote

That ship is bad luck all around. 😲
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Never designed to take a direct hit, accidental or intentional.
New bridge will have supports on mini islands / protected.

If you managed to survive the drop the water temp would finish you off quickly.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
One has to wonder if, before the strike, the ship radioed ANYONE and declared an emergency due to loss of power or rudder control. One would think they could have or should have but it'll be interesting to see if they actually did.
View Quote

I didn't see the mast lights for a vessel not under command, just the normal masthead lights, although under the circumstances I could see them forgetting to change them.  I, too, am curious if they tried to let others know about their situation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Piratetech:

Doesn't it usually turn out when they say it's NOT terrorism or intentional this early that it 100% was?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Piratetech:

If it was terrorists who came in through Mexico we won't know for sure until after the installation election. If it was white supremacists Trump terrorists we'll find out when T money is running away in the polls.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
I sailed under a few very large bridges back in the day, and that possibility had occurred to me then, but I hadn't thought about it for decades. Prayers to the rescuers and those who needs rescuing. Does this stopper the entire port? Never been there, sorry. Not only the stop of traffic, but how many businesses upstream just closed indefinitely? How fast can they clear a useable channel?
View Quote

It’s hard to imagine a better way to fuck up commerce in a place except shutting down power, a dirty bomb or a Chinese made virus.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5352/GJlobFqXwAEAP2s_jpg-3169731.JPG

Yup.  I stand an anchor watch coming into and out of port or in narrows for this very reason.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Whatever "it" turns out to be,  the .gov knew about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

Where is your brother a pilot?
View Quote
Houston.  just recently retired.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Saw the anchor was dropped. Was thinking maybe the anchor dragging on the bottom could create enough resistance to cause a pivot point where the back end of the ship swings out quicker then can be compensated for and sending it right into the pillar?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

There is absolutely no possible way for them to know anything.
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top