Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

That'll sure help damp down the already rampant conspiracy theories.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

Because when you are operating a device capable of causing billions of dollars damage in an instant, why would you want any reliable automatic backup systems?

Actually it supports the "incompetence" theory. Because they KNEW they were incompetent, and that exactly this sort of shit was bound to happen. Why make the investigation easy by creating inculpatory records?

Although deliberately chosing to forego common technological record-keeping does smack a bit of a conspiracy.

Whose job is it to make sure backup/redundant recording devices are present on these sorts of ships? -- Oh never mind, I'm sure it was responsibility of the "Indian crew" - and we're not supposed to talk about that because it would be racist or some shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Because when you are operating a device capable of causing billions of dollars damage in an instant, why would you want any reliable automatic backup systems?

Actually it supports the "incompetence" theory. Because they KNEW they were incompetent, and that exactly this sort of shit was bound to happen. Why make the investigation easy by creating inculpatory records?

Although deliberately chosing to forego common technological record-keeping does smack a bit of a conspiracy.

Whose job is it to make sure backup/redundant recording devices are present on these sorts of ships? -- Oh never mind, I'm sure it was responsibility of the "Indian crew" - and we're not supposed to talk about that because it would be racist or some shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

Try decaf.

The full instrumentation isn't on battery backup - although technically feasible - but the cabin voice recorder is. It's not as though there's a dead two minutes where all would have been revealed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

Thanks. That sounds like a fail on the VDR spec.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:

The bridge voice logger is separate and has a battery back up. The voyage data recorder did not have a battery back up.

I foresee a change in requirements for the recorders.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How did the ship leave the dock in the first place with such obvious defects?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Here's ~15 seconds of audio of the Indian crew discussing the accident, as it was happening.  

View Quote

That recording made me feel like I was on the ship. Amazing
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
So, do we have a realistic estimate how long it will take them to at least get the port open?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

The bridge voice logger is separate and has a battery back up. The voyage data recorder did not have a battery back up.

Or it has a battery but it was dead.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
GD at the point of blaming aliens yet?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

I thought (my read was) that you implied it did not have one spec'd versus it might have been dead.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]

I thought (my read was) that you implied it did not have one spec'd versus it might have been dead.

View All Quotes

I read somewhere there's a requirement for it to store six hours of continuous data. It would make sense that it should have battery power to continue recording. On the other hand if the power goes out how does it receive data? If the power goes out, the rudder angle indicator isn't going to be sending data.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brass:

I just didn't get that sudden turn, the creative hook that managed to avoid the bariers before the pylon but hit the pylon, still accidentally.  I'm not saying conspiracy, but seems the problems started 10 minutes before the impact instead of just 3-4.

It's the 5 minute before impact turn that shows there were issues long before the power failures after that turn was initiated.  I don't know how the rudder works when a ship loses power, if they crank the wheel and nothing happens, does the rudder hold position or default to last input?  Does all that input get sent to the rudder when there is power/hydraulics restored again?  What position does the rudder take when it loses power, or is  it just a stay were it is kind of thing?    Seems there were power problems prior to the ones that are shown in the last couple minutes prior to impact.

Not sure when they called for tugs, I guess it was 2 turns, one 5  SSE and one further 10  SSE between an apparent outage, both curving it tighter toward the accident site.  It was going in a relatively straight line prior to that and I don't know what happens with ships and power, maybe the crew didn't either but seems they had enough experience with losing power to have an idea.  Still confused on how it was allowed to leave port with the word of the guys on the ship that it was all better after they'd been battling power problems for days.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
Originally Posted By Curare:
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:
Originally Posted By Joe731:

It's not, let's keep going.

You don't think the crew that presumably knows a bit about ships could figure out a way to make the lights go off all at once?
Somebody in this thread named you as an SME, but is your ship so much smarter than you that you couldn't figure out a way to make that happen if you wanted to?
If all of the electricity comes out of one generator you couldn't think of a way to turn all of that off at once?

--"Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing"
Every intelligence agency in the world will be bummed to learn that it's impossible to put people who aren't what they seem to be in important places

--"that probably can't be convinced to join the plot"
Look at this briefcase, it's full of money and pictures of your children

--"forgetting the VDR onboard"
"He knows that everything this ship does is tracked"

--"forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place"
"The cops might investigate, we better not try this crime" -Said a lot of people but not all of them

If the ship bumped into the beach or something this entire incident would occupy half a page of the you laugh you lose thread and that would be that.
But it has a lot more impact than that, and it accidentally worked out in way that some of our enemies love to see.

It probably was an accident.  But blowing it off as such and shitting on everyone who says maybe it wasn't is stupid.

Now way to predict where exactly that ship is going to end up when the power goes off.  It might harmlessly pass under the bridge.

That is one strange point about the tracking plot.  it turned 15  to the SSE toward the pylon 3-4 minutes before the impact.  If it hadn't made that turn it would have made it under the bridge.   It was still increasing speed when they were making the turn if the tracking data is right so that's confusing tome a little bit.  I'd think power failure would keep ship on existing path and not crank steering one way or the other.

The videos seem to contradict the multiple reports of the hard left rudder command that was apparently given.

Wind (think of the square meters of "sail area"). Add current. Also container ships, even when under power, turn like container ships. People are applying car logic to this situation. These are the same people that make launching ramps so entertaining.

I was a deck officer on container ships.

There was nowhere near enough wind to initiate such a course change.

Port rudder and port anchor combined shouldn't have caused the stern to swing to port. I guess that I'm doubtful of the port rudder reports. Could be incorrect reporting, could have been carried out incorrectly by the Indian helmsman, hard to say. In one aerial shot I saw of the aftermath the rudder looked centered.

Time will tell.

I just didn't get that sudden turn, the creative hook that managed to avoid the bariers before the pylon but hit the pylon, still accidentally.  I'm not saying conspiracy, but seems the problems started 10 minutes before the impact instead of just 3-4.

It's the 5 minute before impact turn that shows there were issues long before the power failures after that turn was initiated.  I don't know how the rudder works when a ship loses power, if they crank the wheel and nothing happens, does the rudder hold position or default to last input?  Does all that input get sent to the rudder when there is power/hydraulics restored again?  What position does the rudder take when it loses power, or is  it just a stay were it is kind of thing?    Seems there were power problems prior to the ones that are shown in the last couple minutes prior to impact.

Not sure when they called for tugs, I guess it was 2 turns, one 5  SSE and one further 10  SSE between an apparent outage, both curving it tighter toward the accident site.  It was going in a relatively straight line prior to that and I don't know what happens with ships and power, maybe the crew didn't either but seems they had enough experience with losing power to have an idea.  Still confused on how it was allowed to leave port with the word of the guys on the ship that it was all better after they'd been battling power problems for days.

Good questions regarding the steering that I can't answer. At the time I was shipping out I wasn't at all intrigued with the technical workings. Now the technical stuff is all I do.

If they were experiencing major issues onboard while along side they should have notified their flag state and class. Class would have come out and blessed (or not) the repairs and approved their departure. If flag, port, and class were in the dark about the onboard issues it would likely be a failure of the management company to make the proper notifications.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
View Quote
There has been a lot of solar activity lately.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Marie:
I have no clue if these are illegals or not.
View Quote

I have no way to know what appears here is factual but several things did point to some or all of them being illegal if factual.

1)  The brother of one of the deceased is coming from a country south of us to retrieve the body.  Possibly to bury him near where he was born.

2)  There was an "outreach"  of some sort (grief counseling?) and it was mentioned that four would be in countries south of us.

3)  One person was reported as a "native" of some city.  It may have been in California.  Odds are he is/was illegal.  The press usually hides the illegal issue with words that suggests that the person is a US citizen/legal resident.

Deport all of the 50-70 million illegals in the USA.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:
The conspiracy tards are going to love it. Never mind that it can easily be explained by the power interruption. I honestly can’t even tell you if the CVR and FDR on my jet records after a total electrical failure. I sorta doubt it.
View Quote

Interesting point but if I guessed I would expect a long life battery backup for something that critical.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Not needed.  Aliens are always a reasonable explanation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
Interesting point but if I guessed I would expect a long life battery backup for something that critical.
View Quote

I bet that it recorded everything that does have a backup, but it's tough to record commands and response from a system that doesn't have power.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
NTSB video shows inside of DALI cargo ship, close-up damage to Baltimore bridge after collapse

NTSB video shows inside of DALI cargo ship, close-up damage to Baltimore bridge after collapse
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The daunting task of clearing the channel
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By freerider04:

I bet that it recorded everything that does have a backup, but it's tough to record commands and response from a system that doesn't have power.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By freerider04:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Yeah most of the systems it was recording are things that won't be running again until the e-gen kicks on, so no recorded inputs from dead systems isn't surprising.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#20]
Originally Posted By Iseifert:
So, do we have a realistic estimate how long it will take them to at least get the port open?
View Quote

I'd say 90-180 days to open the port to marine traffic.

Official accident report will take a Year to be finished.

New Bridge opens to the public in 5 years.

It will take a decade to finalize who is financially responsible and at what costs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

It will take a decade to finalize who is financially responsible and at what costs.
View All Quotes

I'm not saying it'll happen here, but the I-35 bridge collapse had the replacement span up in about 1 year. It's a considerably shorter span, but still a pretty large undertaking that was completed ahead of schedule. The accelerated schedule was attributed to the amount of commuter and road freight traffic to lessen the economic impact. Other than hazardous cargo not being allowed in the tunnels, is there the same or similar economic impact with this bridge?

m
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Knowing that the .mil has a couple ships caught and sheer amount of $$ the port handles
I'm betting 30-45 days to be partially open to ships especially the size of the .mil boats
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Knowing that the .mil has a couple ships caught and sheer amount of $$ the port handles
I'm betting 30-45 days to be partially open to ships especially the size of the .mil boats
View All Quotes

Agreed definitely not taking 90 to 180 days to clear the channel ,they'll have it open in two months
with crews working around the clock ,I'm sure some of that bridge will stay under water if it's resting
on the sea bed and not interfering with anything .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#24]
As to the removal of the larger pieces would they rely on cutting via torch only or resort to using det cord to reduce the sizes of the pieces? Or maybe using a 'saw' as they did on the Kursk submarine?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Who Is In Charge of the Salvage in Baltimore?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
As to the removal of the larger pieces would they rely on cutting via torch only or resort to using det cord to reduce the sizes of the pieces? Or maybe using a 'saw' as they did on the Kursk submarine?
View Quote

I'm thinking tat the concrete deck pieces will be the most difficult to clear from an engineering viewpoint.  You can cut steel, but concrete and rebar is a different animal underwater.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Seems reasonable but I am going to guess that the new bridge is done in two years.    It has to be a high priority.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Torch will be the fastest . they even have machinery  with jaws that will cut right through that steal .

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

Agreed definitely not taking 90 to 180 days to clear the channel ,they'll have it open in two months
with crews working around the clock ,I'm sure some of that bridge will stay under water if it's resting
on the sea bed and not interfering with anything .
View Quote

I'm not saying that the Naval vessels might not get out before then depending on draft if they can clear a channel but I don't see a commercial vessel calling on the port prior to 4th of July.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm not saying that the Naval vessels might not get out before then depending on draft if they can clear a channel but I don't see a commercial vessel calling on the port prior to 4th of July.
View Quote

Fair enough I'll have the under on that , when the pressure is on they'll

have that cleaned up in less time than we think , good chance a lot of that roadway may stay

sitting on the bottom of the sea .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I think that was back several pages....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Torch will be the fastest . they even have machinery  with jaws that will cut right through that steal .

View All Quotes

At times like this we might reconsider the employment of the Peaceful Atom. It is Baltimore after all.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#33]
They are planning on the port being operational in 6 weeks

Equipment is still inbound from all over the world for the effort

Virginia ports started unloading vessels due to Baltimore last night.

One of the bigger issues is a massive quantity of bulk agricultural products come into Baltimore and it’s the beginning of the planting season

The weather has put a damper on towing stuff to the site, a few guys have lost some barges from tow ropes breaking, usual stuff

Not sure about the New York side, but the Virginia ports have stepped up everything they can.  It makes me proud to see what everyone is doing.  

Maryland is doing a great job getting things in place.  

Again, makes me proud to live in this great country.  Keep crushing it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Fair enough I'll have the under on that , when the pressure is on they'll

have that cleaned up in less time than we think , good chance a lot of that roadway may stay

sitting on the bottom of the sea .
View Quote

That debris is going to compromise the draft of the channel, it will need to be removed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:
They are planning on the port being operational in 6 weeks

Equipment is still inbound from all over the world for the effort

Virginia ports started unloading vessels due to Baltimore last night.

One of the bigger issues is a massive quantity of bulk agricultural products come into Baltimore and it’s the beginning of the planting season

The weather has put a damper on towing stuff to the site, a few guys have lost some barges from tow ropes breaking, usual stuff

Not sure about the New York side, but the Virginia ports have stepped up everything they can.  It makes me proud to see what everyone is doing.  

Maryland is doing a great job getting things in place.  

Again, makes me proud to live in this great country.  Keep crushing it.
View Quote

The port in Elizabeth NJ is massive I'm sure they'll be helping out as best they can .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Msgathof:

That debris is going to compromise the draft of the channel, it will need to be removed.
View Quote

If the roadway is a problem than that will slow things up by a lot it's going to require a lot of divers

I'm sure lots of salvage divers on the east coast will be on standby .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
The port will open in phases, but the shear volume of vehicle traffic on the surface roads around the port will keep it from getting back to 100% until a new bridge is completed.

Time to complete in no small part is how much the pols get in the way. Do we need DEI hires? Do we we need to rejuvenate neighborhoods as part of the build? Maybe solar collectors on the side for green energy? Certainly we need bicycle lanes. Probably need to build 100 feet higher for global warming sea rise. Etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Here's ~15 seconds of audio of the Indian crew discussing the accident, as it was happening.  

View Quote

Hah! Knew it would be those two. Love that video.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#39]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
Looking for another plausible explanation for the bow swinging to starboard.  Could have been that they were turing the rudder to port when they lost power.  Once power was regained, the rudder went full left as the steering pumps or accumulator regained effectiveness.  When the engine was revered, water flow would have been against the rudder pushing the bow to starboard.  They were correcting at the helm, and the shift to starboard stopped, just before they hit the bridge.

Plausible theory or dumb idea?

View Quote

3 knot crosswind blew it the fuck sideways.

If you don’t believe that you don’t understand physics, so the experts say.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#40]

So on a scale of most likely to least likely, you're saying that Aliens is in between accident and intentional?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Why stop there? Why are you not considering the most obvious explanation? This was aliens. Aliens were abducting crew members from that ship for their nefarious experiments.

Unless you can conclusively prove that didn't happen, you're a dangerously narrow-minded tool.

So on a scale of most likely to least likely, you're saying that Aliens is in between accident and intentional?

It was dragons, same as what took down MH370.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Not going to be cutting up the container ship, but that bridge will take some torches. Cool ship chopping video.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:49:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#42]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

If you don't believe that you don't understand physics, so the experts say.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subpar:
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
Looking for another plausible explanation for the bow swinging to starboard.  Could have been that they were turing the rudder to port when they lost power.  Once power was regained, the rudder went full left as the steering pumps or accumulator regained effectiveness.  When the engine was revered, water flow would have been against the rudder pushing the bow to starboard.  They were correcting at the helm, and the shift to starboard stopped, just before they hit the bridge.

Plausible theory or dumb idea?

If you don't believe that you don't understand physics, so the experts say.

A ship that size, that draws about 40', doesn't fall off that quickly in a 3 knot crosswind. People seem to think that the waterline is where the ship stops, and that the underwater portion of the vessel offers no resistance

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#43]

A ship that size, that draws about 40', doesn't fall off that quickly in a 3 knot crosswind. People seem to think that the waterline is where the ship stops, and that the underwater portion of the vessel offers no resistance

View Quote
Could the tide have been flowing in the same direction that the wind was blowing?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#44]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Could the tide have been flowing in the same direction that the wind was blowing?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:

I think it was ebb tide, so it was likely slack water at the time. Eta: Looking at the shape of that harbor, the tidal current was unlikely to be perpendicular to the direction of travel.

What people are seeing in the videos are reactions to rudder, anchor, or both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#45]

I think it was ebb tide, so it was likely slack water at the time.

What people are seeing in the videos are reactions to rudder, anchor, or both.
View Quote

Very close to slack.  If it was more than half a knot I'd be suprised
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Are the bridge supports buried in the channel or are they buried off to the side in the shallow water?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I said originally once they stop looking for the bodies I give it a month and they'll have it open to shipping. There's way to much money being lost. They'll have crews working 24-7 getting stuff out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Marie:
I knew we were going to be seeing articles wailing that illegals and immigrants were working on the bridge and they’re being exploited, etc. I’ve seen one from the Washington and another. Can’t link as they’re in my Apple News+ subscription.

How about these people have no skills and no education to do something besides manual labor/construction work?
View Quote

and their families in Guatemala or Honduras just won the million dollar lottery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: burkeva] [#49]
The construction company needs to fined if they hired illegals.  In a normal world we would be arresting and deporting ALL of them!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#50]
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top