Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:

I wonder what prevents lightning or a static charge in general from pre-blowing the blow.
View Quote

Well since it pretty well grounded I don't think static discharge is much of an issue.  Last I checked water is not an electrical insulator.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:45:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By brass:

That's the problem, elevated portion with ground potential will be juicy paths for lightning discharge, and if they've  already got the detonators on the charges, they could easily blow due to the high gradient of voltage traveling down the truss through the detonator wires to the water and into the river bed.

The charges without detonators are a bit more immune, and they usually don't add the detonators until shortly before the planned detonation time, when all the radios and other RF devices need to be turned off to avoid tripping detonators with long lead wires (aka "antennas").

View Quote

Serious question: is the insertion of the detonators usually a junior-level position or one that'd given to let's say more...expendable guys?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]

I wonder what prevents lightning or a static charge in general from pre-blowing the blow.
View Quote

Lightning clouds are fluffers ?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it's scheduled for 5pm eastern time today.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/13/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse-demolition-monday/index.html
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any alternate live feeds? The Minorcan Mullet is buffering terribly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
LIVE: Controlled demolition at Baltimore bridge collapse site
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
bunch of pleasure boats out there
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Well that was cool.  Can't believe I just happened upon that live.  Big bada boom.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Well that didn't do much.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Well that didn't do much.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#15]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

They are probably going to have to hit it again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It almost looked like the delay sequencer didn't work and all the charges blew at once.

...unless it was planned that way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chokey:

yeah, it didn't do anything but get the weight off of the ship so they can remove all of the lose beams and move the ship out of there and cut up the remaining part of the bridge safely.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Kinda folded back on itself. Neat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
That was pretty neat.  Did not notice any change in the waterline, so not sure if they need to remove more concrete or possibly the roadway to get the ship out of the mud.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Do we need to revisit all the predictions on when this would have been cleared and new bridge up and running?   Im going to guess there some really far off estimates.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I would call it a success.

They clearly removed the tension from the beams, got the harder to reach areas off the boat.  The pieces on the boat are cut strategically to lift off so they can clear the bow.

They can cut the remaining section in the water and pull the major pieces from there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
some videos from different angles

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Going to take more than 2 days to get all that crap off the ship, which they predicted what it would take after the kaboom.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Going to take more than 2 days to get all that crap off the ship, which they predicted what it would take after the kaboom.
View Quote

Does that come from the same experience that you used to tell us it would need a second shot?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#26]
To be fair, I don't have any idea what I'm looking at, but it sure seems like that truss could have been torched off just as easily as it was blown off.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#27]
To be fair, I don't have any idea what I'm looking at, but it sure seems like that truss could have been torched off just as easily as it was blown off.
View Quote

Tension makes it very dangerous.

If you’re up in a man lift, on a boat. And that beam suddenly whips.  Where ya going?

Even if it doesn’t hit you but hits the machine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

If you're up in a man lift, on a boat. And that beam suddenly whips.  Where ya going?

Even if it doesn't hit you but hits the machine.
View Quote
This.

The scale is deceiving, those beams are huge, that's gonna be a no from me dawg
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Key Bridge EXPLODED Off MV Dali Ship | Baltimore Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ridinshotgun:

Does that come from the same experience that you used to tell us it would need a second shot?
View Quote

I expected more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#32]

I expected more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ridinshotgun:

I expected more.

More what?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#33]
They moved the big floating crane in to work on the bow area.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I think they are planning on leaving the roadway on the bow and removing it at the dock.

I wonder if this is because the docks presumably have much higher-capacity cranes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Unified Command officials explain how controlled explosives were used in demolition of Key Bridge
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:04:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#36]
I think they are planning on leaving the roadway on the bow and removing it at the dock.

I wonder if this is because the docks presumably have much higher-capacity cranes.
View Quote

In the YouTube I posted, the Army Colonel says they will remove as much of the wreckage on the bow as needed to refloat the ship along with anything that's not stable enough for the ship to move with it still on there.

Coast Guard Captain says detonation went as planned, separated the span into 2 pieces along with other pieces falling away from the ship.  

Water ballast will be removed to allow her to float on her own and they plan to move the ship as soon as possible. Maybe in next 2 days.  Once pier side they plan to remove the remaining roadway sections and other debris and some containers. Do some repairs and then move the ship elsewhere for larger repairs. Majority of containers will remain onboard so it rides low enough to get under bay bridge.  I believe he said it will move to Norfolk when it leaves Baltimore harbor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#37]
They sent a text alert out to the area (I was near the Magothy river at the time) to warn of the loud explosion
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

In the YouTube I posted, the Army Colonel says they will remove as much of the wreckage on the bow as needed to refloat the ship along with anything that's not stable enough for the ship to move with it still on there.

Coast Guard Captain says detonation went as planned, separated the span into 2 pieces along with other pieces falling away from the ship.  

Water ballast will be removed to allow her to float on her own and they plan to move the ship as soon as possible. Maybe in next 2 days.  Once pier side they plan to remove the remaining roadway sections and other debris and some containers. Do some repairs and then move the ship elsewhere for larger repairs.
View Quote

Was she ballasted as a means of keeping her bow pinned to the sea bed or was that normal voyage ballast?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Was she ballasted as a means of keeping her bow pinned to the sea bed or was that normal voyage ballast?
View All Quotes

Water ballast will be removed to allow her to float on her own and they plan to move the ship as soon as possible. Maybe in next 2 days.  Once pier side they plan to remove the remaining roadway sections and other debris and some containers. Do some repairs and then move the ship elsewhere for larger repairs.

I took it to mean they added water ballast to keep it down and so it didn't pop back up when the weight of the bridge span was removed during the detonation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#40]

I took it to mean they added water ballast to keep it down and so it didn't pop back up when the weight of the bridge span was removed during the detonation.
View Quote

I'm wondering if she'll release from the seabed as easily as it seems to be assumed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#41]

More what?
View Quote

Kaboom and shit flying everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

If you’re up in a man lift, on a boat. And that beam suddenly whips.  Where ya going?

Even if it doesn’t hit you but hits the machine.
View Quote

Exactly. Nothing more unsettling than cutting a beam and seeing the gap start opening or twisting, and that can happen on structures that look completely safe. Something like that? Fuck that. It's basically Jenga with your life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Charges cut steel so gravity can do it's thing. They aren't trying to make it look like a JDAM hit it
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm thinking that once the Dali is out of there, the pace will pick up considerably.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:52:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#45]

View All Quotes

More what?

That's why they had a pro set the explosion. Just enough to relieve the tension on that piece of the bridge. Going in there to cut it manually would put people at risk unnecessarily. They did this correctly.
ETA: This would not be like running a chainsaw and reading the tension on what you're cutting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Has the crew been on board this whole time? I know they're used to being on the ship for extended periods, but you'd think with an extended period of not going anywhere or having anything to do they'd start to get a little stir crazy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BlackHoleSon:

Charges cut steel so gravity can do it's thing. They aren't trying to make it look like a JDAM hit it
View Quote

That's too bad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
Has the crew been on board this whole time? I know they're used to being on the ship for extended periods, but you'd think with an extended period of not going anywhere or having anything to do they'd start to get a little stir crazy.
View Quote

The crew has never left the ship.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By johnh57:
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

I wonder what they've been doing. Do they have internet?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#50]
They moved the big floating crane in to work on the bow area.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/367483/floating_crane-3213999.png
View Quote

That pic really shows just how much weight is on that front bow section.
Page / 56
Top Top