Does the tweet thing not work?

Ship hits bridge
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
That would surely be an unfun ride.
Dividing Impact: The Tasman Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:23:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnoGoRider] [#5]
That video looks like something out of an Apocalypse movie.

BREAKING: Ship collides with Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, causing it to collapse

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#6]
This is horrific.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy shit.  That’s not supposed to happen!

So what do we think- competency crisis, failing infrastructure issues, or both?  I am voting both…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap! Can see cars going down with the bridge.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:27:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
That video looks like something out of an Apocalypse movie.

View Quote

HOLY FUCKIJNG SHIT!!!! RIP to the victims.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh shit.  Mechanical failure I am guessing?  That ship wasn't even close to where it should have been.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-water-070114899.html
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
That crazy on too many different levels
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Jesus Christ that’s awful, I’ve driven across that many times.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tac556:
Holy shit.  That’s not supposed to happen!

So what do we think- competency crisis, failing infrastructure issues, or both?  I am voting both…
View Quote

The infrastructure shouldn't have been hit. Too early to call it deliberate but it's weird. I wanna see video before it hit
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#14]
In on 1! Holy crap!!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#15]
New phobia unlocked.

How cold is the water there for anyone in the area?

Those poor folks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:31:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sketti] [#16]
Holy shit, how can a container ship take down a bridge like that!? Was that a really old bridge?

Edit: guess it was built in 1977
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy crap, that had to be scary to be in one of those cars
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Sketti:
Holy shit, how can a container ship take down a bridge like that!? Was that a really old bridge?

View Quote

Hard to say if he caught a pillar or not. Those cargo ships depending on the weight can take up to 2 miles to stop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Scanner just said 20 construction workers were on the bridge and also said the ship will not answer the radio.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Imagine driving your family across that bridge at that moment.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Hard to say if he caught a pillar or not. Those cargo ships depending on the weight can take up to 2 miles to stop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sketti:

Looks like it hit one of the bridge supports. Crazy!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1:
Imagine driving your family across that bridge at that moment.

View Quote

The bridge looked kinda empty except for a small amount of vehicles that looked stopped, maybe worker trucks?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Lifter19:
Scanner just said 20 construction workers were on the bridge and also said the ship will not answer the radio.
View Quote

That doesn't sound good.

Either a ghost ship (crew dead or incapacitated) or intentional, then.

Note that "incapacitated" could mean "drunk off their asses". I know nothing about this incident, and definitely don't intend to cast aspersions on the crew; I lost an uncle due to a drunk barge captain a few years ago. My uncle was anchored well outside the marked channel and the barge ran him over anyhow. The barge didn't even stop.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:44:55 AM EDT
[#24]
That's WAY worse than I thought from the news article. Oh my.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:45:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone driving an electric car is fucked even if they survived the fall.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit .
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Ship in question:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#29]
They were far from where they should have been and the hit looks dead center on the support.  

It makes you suspicious but the fact that it happened in the middle of the night would not seem to be what a terrorist would do if they had another option.

However, I guess if it was intentional whomever hijacked the ship would have to work with the ships sailing schedule and not be able to pick a time of day that would result in maximum casualties.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Good sized trucking hub at sparrows point along with Amazon.
Watching that(ship smash the bridge) collapse is nightmare fuel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

That doesn't sound good.

Note that "incapacitated" could mean "drunk off their asses". I know nothing about this incident, and definitely don't intend to cast aspersions on the crew; I lost an uncle due to a drunk barge captain a few years ago. My uncle was anchored well outside the marked channel and the barge ran him over anyhow. The barge didn't even stop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lifter19:

That doesn't sound good.

They should have a pilot aboard, that and a clear night makes me tentatively suspect some sort of steering failure is the prime suspect.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Lights on ship went off and on a couple times before impact, also heavy smoke from stack so engines were running.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#33]

That doesn't sound good.

View Quote

I know large ships once they come in off of the oceans from other countries, certified captains have to take over the helm once they hit us Waters to navigate through the rivers and lakes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:49:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloworm19] [#35]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
Oh shit.  Mechanical failure I am guessing?  That ship wasn't even close to where it should have been.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/key-bridge-baltimore-collapses-water-070114899.html
View Quote

Looks like he was operating on the edge of the Fort McHenry Channel, judging by the video and referencing NOAA Chart 12278. Obviously "close enough" doesn't count here.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Baseless speculation here. With the bridge taken out it's going to force a majority of traffic to use the tunnels. If it was an intentional act I'd expect a follow up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:50:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stlrain0341] [#38]
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I used to drive across it twice a day hauling dry bulk cement out of Sparrows Point.

What in the fuck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#40]
The stuff of nightmares.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:54:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#41]
Originally Posted By Stlrain0341:

Longer video that shows the “before.” Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link
View Quote

It may be the perspective of the video but it looks like the stern is kicking out to the left as the ship nears the support to get a straighter hit on the support.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:55:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Fox News said rescues trying to retrieve seven people from the water and the cargo ship is sinking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:56:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:57:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harmonic_Distortion] [#44]
Longer video that shows the "before." Certainly seems that it steered right into the support column. Bridge went down immediately.

link

View Quote

The traffic pretty much stopped crossing just before impact so there was some type of warning. Mb construction workers saved lives by blocking traffic. Watch closely.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#45]

link

View Quote

Based on that angle it does look like it turned towards the support pillar.

Also, it looks like there may not have been any cars on the bridge during the time it collapsed. Sadly you can see the construction crew though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Key Bridge Collapses in Baltimore - LIVE Breaking News Coverage
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#47]

link

View Quote

Fuck.

A couple of things I think I see here:

First, there is no smoke coming from that ship in the very beginning. It looks like they really gave it everything it had, based on the volume of smoke.

Second, they turned directly into the bridge support - but seemed to try to turn away just before impact.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:01:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:04:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
New phobia unlocked.

View Quote

No kidding.  Some may remember the Sunshine Skyway bridge disaster down in Tampa Bay, late 80s I guess.  I wasn't there for it, but rode across the replacement span at night before the original was taken down, and it scared the shit out of me seeing the end where it broke off, in the dark it was like a horror movie scene.  I get sweaty palms driving across large bridges all the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top