Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2023 6:36:37 PM EDT
Took my old Gary Fisher (20 years old) to the local shop to get new cables and a tune-up and walked out with a new bike :)
Rode her to the gym today and wow, the seat sucks. Any suggestions for a replacement? Mainly going to be used to pedal to the gym and hopefully some novice off-road riding.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JetPumpright] [#1]
You seek a Brooks Saddle. Best bike seats on the market OP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Just put your old saddle on it.

Your ass can get used to nearly anything if the sit bones are supported properly. The old one is broken in.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JetPumpright:
View Quote

I keep hearing this. Which one? The standard brown leather one that feels rock hard?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you think that seat sucks after one ride, I doubt you'll like any bike seat, Brooks or not.  

Is it possible you just haven't had any significant time on a bike seat in a while?  It takes a few rides to get that butt accustomed to a bike saddle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
Bottom that thing out and stand up to ride.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/16D92A2B-5E87-48A8-B385-48B053F190B2-1085300.jpg
View Quote

Why on earth would you do that? Terribly inefficient, even on a mountain bike
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Ergon smc sport gel, everything down there will thank you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to toughen up my butt at the beginning of every riding season.

One hour ride will require a couple days off, then another hour ride,  one day off, then I can ride every day.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a hardtail light race bike and someone says put a Brooks on it. That saddle would weigh 50% of the original bike.

OP you bought a race bike. It may not be the bike for you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Nose of the saddle looks to be a little high.

Try adjusting downwards, bit by bit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Any recommendations you get will be what works for other people. Your anatomy is unique.
That said, I've been riding WTB rocket saddles for 20 years maybe. They're very good for me.
A good bike shop should be able to advise you on saddle options, loan saddles for testing or even measure the width between your sitbones.
Enjoy your new bike.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Serious response - consider getting fitted for a seat. Shop will likely swap saddles for you to allow you to try a number of options.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 on the WTB rocket saddle
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. This seat isn’t very padded and I’m riding it wearing my gym clothes, namely loose fitting basketball shorts.

I’ll give it some more time and see if my ass adapts to the pain (never thought I’d ever have to type  that line  lol)

Does body type/ size have much to do it with also?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Give it some time, but there's a reason bike shorts are a thing.  Get some.  You can get baggies with padded lycra underneath, if you want.

I'm not picky with bike saddles.  Everyone has different sit bones, but only the picky or ultra-high mile riders will need to go out and have a saddle fitting.  I have one bike with a saddle that's fine until the ride exceeds 50 miles.  The rest are fine and somewhat random brands/shapes.

Now, if you are heavy, you are going to have a lot of pressure down there, and that'll make most saddles unpleasant.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By testosteroneOD:
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. This seat isn’t very padded and I’m riding it wearing my gym clothes, namely loose fitting basketball shorts.

I’ll give it some more time and see if my ass adapts to the pain (never thought I’d ever have to type  that line  lol)

Does body type/ size have much to do it with also?
View Quote

Body type/size absolutely has much to do with it - seats come in different sizes/styles for reasons.

I have Sella Anatomica saddles on my road bikes - similar to Brooks but less expensive:
Selle Anatomica Saddles

I have a WTB saddle on my full suspension MTB - can't remember the model at the moment.

The OEM saddle on my Specialized Roubaix was a midevil torture device - after 10 miles it was painful, after 40 miles it was excruciating and I was never going to "get used to it".  The Selle Anatomica solved the problem - of course cycling shorts do make a huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
Give it some time, but there's a reason bike shorts are a thing.  Get some.  You can get baggies with padded lycra underneath, if you want.

I'm not picky with bike saddles.  Everyone has different sit bones, but only the picky or ultra-high mile riders will need to go out and have a saddle fitting.  I have one bike with a saddle that's fine until the ride exceeds 50 miles.  The rest are fine and somewhat random brands/shapes.

Now, if you are heavy, you are going to have a lot of pressure down there, and that'll make most saddles unpleasant.
View Quote

I'm not really picky or an ultra high mileage rider but I have found what works for me with the Selle Anatomica - and I'm a Clydesdale (@ 6'4" & 250+).  Narrow saddles that come stock on XL sized road bikes are meant for bean poles.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:11:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: testosteroneOD] [#19]
I’m gonna head to the bike shop I think and see what they offer. Ive got a solid build…5-8 230’s. If nothing else, I think I’ll have to get bike shorts and change out of them when I get to the gym.
I have to start looking for a light too for some night riding.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the WTB Volt saddle. Virtually no one likes the Bontrager Arvada saddle that comes stock on those Marlins.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By LV1976:
I like the WTB Volt saddle. Virtually no one likes the Bontrager Arvada saddle that comes stock on those Marlins.
View Quote
+1 for the WTB volt.

Chromoly rails are durable, inexpensive, and have nice compliance. Don't mess with carbon fiber or titanium models. Too stiff.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#22]
SQ Labs work well for me. Seats are a personal preference thing, you can spend nearly what you paid for the bike on an S Works if you’re so inclined.

WTB Volt and Silverado have been popular for many years, they come stock on a ton of bikes.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Banana seat
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
SQ Labs work well for me. Seats are a personal preference thing, you can spend nearly what you paid for the bike on an S Works if you’re so inclined.

WTB Volt and Silverado have been popular for many years, they come stock on a ton of bikes.  

https://i.imgur.io/4biEC0f_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

@maslin02

What mount are you using for your Garmin Varia?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JetPumpright:
View Quote

2001 wants its saddle back.

Selle Italia slr boost superflow Ti in a size small. Almost no one needs a wide saddle. Almost all my miles are on the road, though. If you're in the saddle a lot, you need a cutout, though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

Selle Italia slr boost superflow Ti in a size small. Almost no one needs a wide saddle. Almost all my miles are on the road, though. If you're in the saddle a lot, you need a cutout, though.
View Quote

Not everyone has girly sit bones.

I have a 155 Specialized Power Pro Mimic. It actually feels pretty decent.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 3:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#27]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:

@maslin02

What mount are you using for your Garmin Varia?
View Quote

Currently with a cheap Amazon mount. The plastic half that attaches the the Varia is nice, solid click and sturdy. The metal part that goes to the seat is solid, but the channels that grab the seat rails are the wrong width. Kind of an odd problem to have considering seat rails are a standard distance apart. I couldn’t make it work flipped with the arms “up”, the Varia was facing the ground.

I’ll probably try the k edge mount, but it doesn’t include the twist lock end, only the part that goes on the seat. I understand it’s just a standard GoPro interface so you can supply your own, but seems like a cheap move for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NTZ6HWK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 3:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbonator] [#28]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Isn't that a womens' specific saddle?

Also, people who ride wider saddles say they're comfortable because they just sit farther forward on the saddle, thus, negating the effectiveness of the entire length of the saddle. You can see it if you watch the TDF right now - dudes who only sit on the front half of their saddle. Because it's too wide.

ETA - the implication being that if you're sitting farther forward on your saddle, you're fucking up your body geometry on the bike. It doesn't fit you as well as it could. Maybe you compensate with an offset post, maybe you have a longer stem, or whatever. Poor fitting bikes are slow.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:12:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#29]

Isn't that a womens' specific saddle?

Also, people who ride wider saddles say they're comfortable because they just sit farther forward on the saddle, thus, negating the effectiveness of the entire length of the saddle. You can see it if you watch the TDF right now - dudes who only sit on the front half of their saddle. Because it's too wide.

ETA - the implication being that if you're sitting farther forward on your saddle, you're fucking up your body geometry on the bike. It doesn't fit you as well as it could. Maybe you compensate with an offset post, maybe you have a longer stem, or whatever. Poor fitting bikes are slow.
View Quote

So talking to the bike fitter, he actually suggested the MIMIC as guys need a little support and can actually get numb with having pressure around but not directly on that area. A good portion of the Specialized pro teams have switched to MIMIC saddles even. So far I'm really happy with it. But yes...it's a women's saddle. I'm good with it.

My sit bones literally sit on the outside of the saddle on a 143. Feels like it's going straight up my ass. A 155 my sit bones are on the very outer portion of the saddle. I can only move forward/back maybe 2cm total before my sit bones slide off the saddle. So I have a very narrow window. Some guys also use the nose to temporarily remove pressure in certain spots, however I've not felt that necessary on the specialized saddle. I've needed to use the nose on the Brooks on occasion.

I'm having a hard time deciding which saddle to take on RAGBRAI. I might just take both.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Brooks B17 and don't look back.
Jon
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#31]
mmmm well I do tons of miles and Brooks I never see on bikes that are really used hard.  What I see is Frizik, Specialized, Prologo, and Selle Italia.

I have Fizik Vento Argo R3 saddle which is what we call a short nose saddle which for me has been very helpful when in a tuck for long races/rides.  Before this saddle I used long nose but going short really helped reduce pressure on the frank and beans .

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#32]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
mmmm well I do tons of miles and Brooks I never see on bikes that are really used hard.  What I see is Frizik, Specialized, Prologo, and Selle Italia.

I have Fizik Vento Argo R3 saddle which is what we call a short nose saddle which for me has been very helpful when in a tuck for long races/rides.  Before this saddle I used long nose but going short really helped reduce pressure on the frank and beans .
View Quote

I did 547 miles two weeks ago.

I did them on a Brooks C17. Was perfectly fine.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fourman] [#33]

View Quote
Saddles are a funny thing.   One will work for one person but not another....I have never had luck with Brooks and no one on my team.   Then again we are a different bunch since Brooks saddles are heavier and not really considered a racing saddle.  It might be the way for me to think about when I start to do bike camping (sandwich making unit does not know those plans yet.....)
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I like WTB

All that gel crap is terrible, just makes it worse
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
Saddles are a funny thing.   One will work for one person but not another....I have never had luck with Brooks and no one on my team.   Then again we are a different bunch since Brooks saddles are heavier and not really considered a racing saddle.  It might be the way for me to think about when I start to do bike camping (sandwich making unit does not know those plans yet.....)
View Quote

I ended up trying two of them as I was training for RAGBRAI. I had a Specialized Power Pro and the Brooks. The Brooks is certainly heavier but I'm not a racer, more of an endurance rider, and since I'm not a weight weenie I don't really care. My Roubaix is heavy as can be with the cargo rack and bag on it anyway!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm fairly new to bicycles, and I kept the cushy gel seat that came with my Specialized hybrid bike on for about a year and a half before I realized it was uncomfortable on long rides.  So I tried a WTB Volt saddle, ordering based on the size that their website recommended (you measure parts of your body and it estimates for you).  It is night and day difference.  The Volt is firmer, less squashy, and narrower, and the effect is that it puts the pressure where it's supposed to be, right on the sit bones, where the pressure doesn't bother me much.  The old bigger, wider, squishier gel seat spread the weight out more, but in the wrong places, so my glute muscles would get sore after not very long.  I can use the saddle with or without biking shorts, no problem either way.
So in my experience, bike saddles are counterintuitive.  Most newbies aim for big, fat, squashy seats, when in reality a narrow firmer seat might be better for you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Stang1911:
Ergon smc sport gel, everything down there will thank you.
View Quote

THIS - check out Ergon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RinsableTick:
I'm fairly new to bicycles, and I kept the cushy gel seat that came with my Specialized hybrid bike on for about a year and a half before I realized it was uncomfortable on long rides.  So I tried a WTB Volt saddle, ordering based on the size that their website recommended (you measure parts of your body and it estimates for you).  It is night and day difference.  The Volt is firmer, less squashy, and narrower, and the effect is that it puts the pressure where it's supposed to be, right on the sit bones, where the pressure doesn't bother me much.  The old bigger, wider, squishier gel seat spread the weight out more, but in the wrong places, so my glute muscles would get sore after not very long.  I can use the saddle with or without biking shorts, no problem either way.
So in my experience, bike saddles are counterintuitive.  Most newbies aim for big, fat, squashy seats, when in reality a narrow firmer seat might be better for you.
View Quote
It is ironic the most comfy saddle I have many times is a carbon zero padding saddle I have on my TT bike.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:
I like WTB

All that gel crap is terrible, just makes it worse
View Quote

I’ve found that performance -type saddles with a small gel section help conform to my butt.
I agree that the heavily padded saddles are actually a problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top