BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 3/23/2024 1:42:12 PM EDT
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t use math on the boomers, they will tell you 2+2 does not equal 4 just so that they don’t have to admit that there’s even a chance that things were easier for them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#2]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
twice as long

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/article287009720.html

Most Americans intuitively know that higher education has become disproportionately expensive for younger generations—thanks to millions of graduates trapped in student debt. But are education costs really so out of reach for younger generations, considering new career opportunities and wage inflation? Creditnews put that theory to the test by comparing the college tuition costs of Baby Boomers and Millennials against what both generations earned after graduation.

Our analysis revealed a stark difference in the "purchasing power" of a college degree in the 1980s and today, driven by the growing disparity between tuition costs and wages. Even though Baby Boomers had it much easier back in the day, student debt is catching up with them, too.

In a twist, Boomers' student debt balances have recently exploded as many Boomers take out loans to put their kids through college.
View Quote

Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
View Quote

They paid 18% interest on it though. In the 90’s I had to move because you needed at least 18% to put down in order to buy…
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Just gotta pull yourself up by them bootstraps boy
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i probably don't have to say it on this forum, but this is a direct result of democrat policies that claimed to be helping the poor.

Ds: "let's drastically expand the scope of federal student loan guarantees, remove the limits on how much you can borrow, and wildly liberalize creditworthiness criteria."

Rs: "that will have an inflationary effect."

Ds: "you racists."

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#5]
boomers also didn't need any skills for those min wage jobs......throw a boomer at a min wage job now and they would be lost and couldn't keep up. Computers and shit.

I would also like to point out to ya'll knuckle heads that it's Republicans, especially the Regan, Bush types that sold everyone out in the name of cheap shit and cheap labor.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#6]
Everything government subsidized outpaced the general rate of theftflation.  Healthcare, housing, education, and likely soon food.  Conservatives laughed at Ron Paul more than ignore-rant liberals but legal tender and central banking monopolies once abused only go one way.  The trajectory preceded boomers by two to three generations.  Now boomers get declining healthcare quality with rising costs so I’m not sure they are so lucky in the Keynesian long run.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tsg68:

They paid 18% interest on it though. In the 90's I had to move because you needed at least 18% to put down in order to buy
View Quote

18% interest on how much debt, thirty dollars for a house and a degree?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
in on this fucking shitshow.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
@eagarminuteman

i've told this story many times before but here we go.gif

i used to work with a bunch of useless jagoff b**mas who were so proud of themselves for buying their first house in 1988 five years out of college for $30k.

i googled the (brand new stahtah home at the time in a decent area) house from 1988 and naturally that's a (piece of shit beat down shitbox little house in a not great area) $600k house today for... reasons.

one of the useless FUPA b**mas wouldn't shut his fucking gaping cockholster so i finally snapped and asked what he was making in 1988.

FUPA b**ma:  $15k.

so that's like me five years out of skool making $300k/yr and buying my first house for $600k.

little does dumb motherfucker FUPA b**ma realize that adjusted for inflation/whateva i'm making a fraction of what he made.

same guy, same qualifications, same skillsets, same company, same job.

just 30-40 years later.

goddamn.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

They paid 18% interest on it though. In the 90's I had to move because you needed at least 18% to put down in order to buy

exactly....fuckin boomers.

here's a good example...parents house....$40,000 back then 16% interest 30 year loan $537 a month, insurance was like fuck $400 a year.

now? same house. is $250,000 at 5% for 30, $1342 and insurance is $7500 a year.

Thanks Boomers
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#11]
I'm a millennial who graduated college with no debt and bought a house where I'm raising my 3 kids. Suck it renters.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]

They paid 18% interest on it though. In the 90’s I had to move because you needed at least 18% to put down in order to buy…
View Quote

I bought my first house in the 90’s for 64K. I got a 11.8% but I had to put 20% down. I was making $10 an hour. Gen X.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By midcap:
boomers also didn't need any skills for those min wage jobs......throw a boomer at a min wage job now and they would be lost and couldn't keep up. Computers and shit.

I would also like to point out to ya'll knuckle heads that it's Republicans, especially the Regan, Bush types that sold everyone out in the name of cheap shit and cheap labor.
View Quote

So true dude. All the boomers I know are retired as either blue collared or as some kind of administrator that got lucky and retired at or near a 100k/year income. Watching either of them trying to navigate personal electronic devices makes me want to ask their companies for refunds
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
in on this fucking shitshow.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253414/ezgif-5-89578825dc_jpg-3167121.JPG
View Quote

The full house 90s portion
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]

So true dude. All the boomers I know are retired as either blue collared or as some kind of administrator that got lucky and retired at or near a 100k/year income. Watching either of them trying to navigate personal electronic devices makes me want to ask their companies for refunds
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]

The full house 90s portion
View Quote
2040: hobo with a shotgun.gif
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
I'm a millennial who graduated college with no debt and bought a house where I'm raising my 3 kids. Suck it renters.
View Quote

me too, and I live in a good where my neighbors are executives and surgeons...but we aren't the norm my brother in christ.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

I really don't get it...maybe they can pull themselves up from their bootstraps and learn how to use a PC
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Now, now, amigo. You're former mil so personally I think you deserve free formal education, but... it was kinda free, right?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
GenX here, I could work during the Summers and pay for college.  Part time job during the semester was enough to for other expenses.  Having the benefit of the Air National Guard paying for the tuition meant I had a lot of spare money and was able to just do very easy part time work during the semester working at a sorority, which was probably the most awesome thing of all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You devil.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Millennials aren’t worth minimum wage.

Entitled brats who are stretching out their college years to avoid adulthood and getting their own insurance
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sirensong:
i probably don't have to say it on this forum, but this is a direct result of democrat policies that claimed to be helping the poor.

Ds: "let's drastically expand the scope of federal student loan guarantees, remove the limits on how much you can borrow, and wildly liberalize creditworthiness criteria."

View Quote
Both the Ds and Rs got together on eliminating bankruptcy for student loans.  Essentially, we reinvented debtor's prison. This chart shows the decoupling of tuition and inflation that caused:

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Millennials aren't worth minimum wage.

Entitled brats who are stretching out their college years to avoid adulthood and getting their own insurance
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

why wood the got dauym millennials do this?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup - life was great back in the day for us boomers.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#27]

I really don't get it...maybe they can pull themselves up from their bootstraps and learn how to use a PC
View Quote
*snort*
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kingsmen:
Just gotta pull yourself up by them bootstraps boy
View Quote

Just need to grow up and manage your money, you’ve had record low interest rates since fucking 2008.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

Yup - life was great back in the day for us boomers.

View Quote

Sir, do you happen to recall how much a can of imitation crab meat was back then? And also, do you remember how many prison films were available in VHS format at a market checkout aisle?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Pay your debts. Something each generation up until around 1980 or so had to do. And the longer we go, the less the younger generations want to pay for the money they want to borrow.

Now every generation did it for sure. Way to may of the 60's grads realized they could get a solid degree, borrow the money to do it, and then declare BK and walk away from their debt so the laws got changed so that student loans were no longer under BK laws covering other debt and couldn't be erased. Later generations wanted the government involved so they could get loans for stupid fvcking [sorry, no other way to describe them] degrees with zero money value attached to them. [other then if forced by the government and wokeness] Once the government got involved, colleges really REALLY jacked up tuition costs because students were now so stupid that they would agree to ridiculous amounts of debt for a degree worth burger and fry skills. And they did, and stupid students STILL agreed to them but now they cry as soon as they finish partying with a bunch of the loan money and graduate that they ''can't pay for it.''

Well, fvck ALL of you, pay your debts. If you don't, you are just another greasy POS turd worth about the life value of a ghetto druggie. Or, don't go into debt you can't pay for in the first place, especially if you aren't [real] STEM material that requires actual hard work and dedication with a VG financial return for the education dollar.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#31]
My Grandparents died millionaires.  The didn't have stocks or 401ks.  My Grandfather laid fiberglass boat hulls and my Grandmother washed dishes at night.  Not only did they manage to survive on laborers' salaries, they purchased a shitty 6 unit apartment complex in the late 70's to supplement their income.

They raised 3 children, had a modest house, two cars, etc.  Totally middle class.  Tell me how two immigrants, doing unskilled labor could afford that type of lifestyle today?  

They can't.  (I mean, if you have 4 generations living in a one bedroom apartment, it sure makes it easy to save money lol)

Both my Grandparents told me point blank before they died, if the US was what it is today, they'd have just stayed in the old country.

Shits a lot harder than it was even 20 years ago; but the good side of it is it weeds out the pussies.  Typing this as I get ready to head out for some side work this weekend.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

And yet, they did better then most of you will ever will.............................
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The American dream was nothing but a post-war boom.

Once you realize that everything that follows after is much easier to understand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Sir, do you happen to recall how much a can of imitation crab meat was back then? And also, do you remember how many prison films were available in VHS format at a market checkout aisle?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

Once you realize that everything that follows after is much easier to understand.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know a single boomer who borrowed money to go to college.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Scalped:Must've been nice to buy a single family home for $88k and flip it for $800k with no renovations
View Quote

That's how most of us became millionaires by the time we were 25.

But the thing I remember most was the amazing crazy sex I had with so many beautiful girls because of the whole free love movement.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#38]
In my mind the bargain was between schools and students.  The government had no business subsidizing such an unpromising contract.  Caveat emptor was never more necessary except perhaps when taking unproven drugs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
Don’t use math on the boomers, they will tell you 2+2 does not equal 4 just so that they don’t have to admit that there’s even a chance that things were easier for them.
View Quote

It's funny because it's true
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Gen X here. Fuck the millennials and boomers. Fixing the plumbing in my boomer MIL's shack on my property because she is broke as fuck. Nothing is worse than a boomer with no money except maybe a millennial running their cock holster complaining about shit!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

View Quote

Yep.  Student loans are, for most people these days, just a trap.  Better off doing something that doesn’t require a degree, or will pay for your degree in some manner.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quit crying and work more over time to feed the Social Security ponzi scheme so that I can get my gibs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Yep.  Student loans are, for most people these days, just a trap.  Better off doing something that doesn’t require a degree, or will pay for your degree in some manner.

View Quote

And most of the degrees out there aren't worth the paper they are printed on.  I know none of mine are, luckily I didn't pay for them.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Millennials aren’t worth minimum wage.

View Quote

Most millennials are in their 30s and 40s. The oldest of us have been out of college for 20 years.

Hell even the youngest haven't qualified for their parents insurance for years now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Pretty sure millennials are reaching their early 40's now....
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

View Quote

The American Dream is not nor was ever, a house a car and 2.5 kids.

It is being able to follow your dream and do what you want without government interference. If your picture of sucess means living on a boat and drawing pictures of flowers to sell to tourists then you arrived.

If you think its go to college get a degree in gender studies and graduate thinking you are gonna make 250k a year. Then you been sold a lie.

You guys need to stop with the boomer hate.

This board is getting more and more polarized daily with people hating on people, because of their age or their political beliefs aren't pure enough.

Its like its been infiltrated by leftist sowing hate and discontent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Lets be honest here the only reason we vote for Republicans is because of the second amendment .

Things have only gotten harder for people not easier in the last 40 years .

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Gen X here. Fuck the millennials and boomers. Fixing the plumbing in my boomer MIL's shack on my property because she is broke as fuck. Nothing is worse than a boomer with no money except maybe a millennial running their cock holster complaining about shit!
View Quote
pics of b**ma MIL's shack?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Brotherbadger:

Most millennials are in their 30s and 40s. The oldest of us have been out of college for 20 years.

Hell even the youngest haven't qualified for their parents insurance for years now.
View Quote

@rtlm
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
View Quote

All boomers?  You are making an absolute statement?  Absolute statements rarely hold up under the slightest of scrutiny.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top