Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2023 11:29:07 AM EDT
Any recommendations for books on the history of the modern mid-east, creation of Israel, wars with its neighbors, etc?  I know there are differing views on all of that, hence the ongoing unpleasantness still taking place. Looking for an objective history if that is possible.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a book, but a pretty good article:
https://www.meforum.org/441/why-arabs-lose-wars
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The Lions Gate by Steven Pressfield
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:42:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#3]
Rise and Kill First, a history of Israeli targeted assassinations.

Israel, A History by Martin Gilbert.

Terror Tunnels: The Case for Israel's Just War Against Hamas. Written 9 years ago but Hamas hasn't changed their strategies at all.

The Sword and the Olive a Critical History of Israeli Defense Forces.

For a book that will describe what Israel will be doing for the next few years, Ghost Warriors Inside Israel's Undercover War Against Suicide Terrorism. It is the story of the Border Police's special unit that went undercover into Gaza and the West Bank doing the same sort of raids McChrystal's guys did in Iraq.

A High Price: The Triumphs and Failures of Israeli Counterterrorism

Defensive Shield: An Israeli Special Forces Commander on the front line of counterterrorism.  Free to borrow on Kindle Unlimited.

Mossad greatest missions.

Israel's Struggles with Hezbollah and 34 Days Israel's 2006 War in Lebanon.

Target Tehran: How Israel Is Using Sabotage, Cyberwarfare, Assassination – and Secret Diplomacy – to Stop a Nuclear Iran and Create a New Middle East Kindle

Operation Peace in Galiee (1982 Lebanon War).

This is a free book, just go to website and download PDF.  The Gaza War 2014: The War Israel Did Not Want and the Disaster It Averted.  Published by the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs.  

Links to a PDF---Another free one--We Were Caught Unprepared--published by the US Army deals with 2006 war in Lebanon.

PDF is free to download at link--Air Operations in Israel's War Against Hezbollah Learning from Lebanon and Getting It Right in Gaza

Another good source for free reads--The Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Center.. All of their stuff can be downloaded as PDFs to read on kindle or whatever.  

Israel's Way of War: A Strategic and Operational Analysis, 1948-2014.  More of an academic book.

Everyone's favorite, Operation Wrath of God:  Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter- Team, Striking Back: The 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and Israel's Deadly Response Paperback, One Day in September.

Six Days of War, June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East.

Jean Larteguy was famous for his two noveld about French paras in Algeria and Indochina--The Centurions and the Praetorians but in 1967 he wrote a book about the IDF.  The Walls of Israel.

Eightern Days in October--1973 Yom Kippur War.

The next two are written by an Israeli born in Iraq.  He's a professor emeritus at Cambridge.  He is not a Zionist, some of his books have been highly criticized, but they give you another perspective.  The Iron Wall--Israel and the Arabs and Israel and Palestine, Reappraisals, Revisions, and Refutations.

Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-1998.

1948--The First Arab Israeli War.

Night Raiders: The Story of the Legendary Unit 101 During the IDF Retribution Operations. A description of the book:
The years following the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, its Jewish citizens suffered from perpetual terror acts courtesy of their Arab neighbors, who infiltrated its borders with the purpose of destroying property and even taking lives.

At first, Israel employed a passive strategy, guarding its borders, observing its enemy, placing ambushes on their path, and holding political discussions about ceasefires. But the attacks did not cease, on the contrary, they multiplied, and the IDF was forced to take an active approach.

This is the fascinating story of the fighters and commanders of Paratrooper Unit 101 of the 890th Battalion, and of 202nd Brigade. The heroic reprisal operations which they carried out over the border between 1953 and 1956 allowed the IDF to give Israel’s citizens relative peace.
View Quote

America's War for the Greater Middle East, a Military History.

The Israeli Secret Services and the Struggle Against Terrorism

The Secret War with Iran: The 30-Year Clandestine Struggle Against the World's Most Dangerous Terrorist Power

Spies Against Armageddon Inside Israel's Secrer War

Kill Khalid: The Failed Mossad Assassination of Khalid Mishal and the Rise of Hamas.  Written in 2010 but still good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Michigan66: thanks for all your recommendations!

This is more for my wife, as I have read and have a fairly decent understanding of the circumstances of the creation of Israel, and the ramifications of that, but she has been asking questions about it while witnessing the news.   So I think she would be best served by reading more in-depth of that subject.  I just put on hold at my local library "Righteous Victims", and after that I will have her read, (if she still wants to), "The Iron Wall", from your list. . . .

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FudgieGhost1:
Michigan66: thanks for all your recommendations!

This is more for my wife, as I have read and have a fairly decent understanding of the circumstances of the creation of Israel, and the ramifications of that, but she has been asking questions about it while witnessing the news.   So I think she would be best served by reading more in-depth of that subject.  I just put on hold at my local library "Righteous Victims", and after that I will have her read, (if she still wants to), "The Iron Wall", from your list. . . .

View Quote

She might like Martin Gilbert's book rather than Avi Shlaim's.

Shlaim goes off the rails sometimes.  Not as bad as Norman Finkelstein.  Benny Morris and Avi Shlaim are in lots videos on Youtube as well.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 58Teague:
The Lions Gate by Steven Pressfield
View Quote

Thanks for posting that.  I didn't know he wrote a book on the Six Day War.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wyolarry] [#7]
I second this book.  It is great reading.  The Lion's Gate
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently reading a book, more or less specifically dealing with the conflict archaeology and the rise of unconventional warfare/special forces aspects in T.E. Lawrence's activities in Arabia. It has some very good, yet brief, history on what lead up to those events. I was turned onto it by another arfcom member. Good stuff.

Masters of Mayhem, by James Stejskal

Worth a read, good book.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Dan Kurzman -  Genesis: 1948
Barbara Tuchman - Bible and Sword: England and Palestine from the Bronze Age to Balfour
The Balfour Declaration
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not impartial in the slightest but, Leon Uris wrote some good historical fiction covering a lot of the subject matter. Exodus was a long but, good read.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the better books, IMO, on the Middle East is on sale at Amazon.  The Kindle edition of "America's War for the Greater Middle East: A Military History" by Andrew Bacevich is only $4.99.  Even if you disagree with his conclusions it has good background info.

Link to Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
start with Benny Morris.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top