Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 7/11/2023 3:50:23 PM EDT
I've been reading books on the GWOT aka Iraq and Afghanistan.   What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 4:41:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#1]
Fiasco, Thomas Ricks
In the Company of Soldiers, Rick Atkinson
House to House, David Bellavia
Korengal, Sebastian Junger

Link Posted: 7/11/2023 5:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmillie] [#2]
Victory Point
Outlaw Platoon
Lions of Kandahar
Roberts’ Ridge
Link Posted: 7/11/2023 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Alone At Dawn, by Dan Schilling.
Ashley's War, by Gayle Lemmon...for a very different take.
Drone Warrior, by Brett Velicovich
Dying For Strangers, by Brennan Morton.
Easy Targets, by Clinton Allen.
Ghosts of War, by Ryan Smithson.
Hunter Killer, by T. Mark McCurley
Leave No Man Behind, by Tony Brooks and Bob Welch.
Memories of An Outlaw, by Robert Tanner.
Run To the Sound of the Guns, by  Nicklaus Moore.
Sea Stories, by Adm. William McRaven.
Siren's Song, by Antonio Salinas.
The Last Punisher, by Kevin Lacz.
Wildcat Juliet, by Jason Thelen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, what books have you already read?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
More than I can remember.   Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tnwalker10] [#7]
Of all I've read, I liked "The Red Platoon"  by Clinton Romesha better than any.  That mess sticks in my head and won't go away.

Its reviews are 4.8 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a Good Day to Die
In the Graveyard of Empires
The Glass Factory
House to House
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Y'all are killing me here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Amazon has a book that normally costs $60 for free as a Kindle book.  Not sure how long it will last.

Routledge Handbook of U.S. Counterterrorism and Irregular Warfare Operations link here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By michigan66:
Amazon has a book that normally costs $60 for free as a Kindle book.  Not sure how long it will last.

Routledge Handbook of U.S. Counterterrorism and Irregular Warfare Operations link here.
View Quote
Got it.
Thanks for that!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wspe1] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wspe1:

David Galula was a requied read for us at the College. He provided great insights on counter insurgencies.
View Quote

We followed Galula to the letter.  How'd that go for us?  Galula was famous because he wrote in English.  not because he was any good.  The French had nothing but contempt for him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#14]
Originally Posted By Sylvan:
We followed Galula to the letter.  How'd that go for us?  Galula was famous because he wrote in English.  not because he was any good.  The French had nothing but contempt for him.
View Quote

I never understood the desire to copy French counterinsurgency doctrine, given how it ultimately worked out for them.  The war in Algeria is fascinating, though. I'd say Galula is worth reading as long as you understand how it turned out.  You can get Pacification in Algeria for free here.

Aussaresses' book is interestingThe Battle of the Casbah: Terrorism and Counter-terrorism in Algeria, 1955-1957.  He got in trouble for defending torture and killing of prisoners, specifically throwing an important Algerian lawyer from a 6-story building and pretending he jumped, as well as hanging a senior FLN leader and rigging it to look like a suicide.  The French were also the first to throw guerrillas into the sea from helicopters.

After France left Algeria, Aussaresses, Trinquier, and others were sent to Latin America to get rid of them.  Brazil and Argentina took their theories and ran with them during the Dirty Wars in the 1970s.

Wolves in the City:  The Death of French Algeria. If you can find it at a decent price, covers the last few years before France left Algeria, specifically the paramilitary OAS and French military troops who fought the guerrillas and other French units.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Amazon has a good book in their Daily Deals for Kindle for $2.99--"Treacherous Alliance: The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States".
Link here.. Not strictly GWOT but interesting all the same.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I love seeing comments like this in the wild. All that coin, and no V.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

I love seeing comments like this in the wild. All that coin, and no V.
View Quote

Galula is about middle school level of understanding.

If you want a weird but fantastic book about theory, try Demarest's Winning Insurgent War (sometimes titled Winning Irregular War)

Of course, the absolute best book about GWOT is Taliban Safari.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Kind of off-topic, but might be of interest.  A Savage War of Peace, a good book about France's war in Algeria from 1954-1962 is on sale as a Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99.
Link to Amazon.

The war in Algeria inspired "resistance" movements as well as armies from Argentina to Israel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Galula is about middle school level of understanding.

If you want a weird but fantastic book about theory, try Demarest's Winning Insurgent War (sometimes titled Winning Irregular War)

Of course, the absolute best book about GWOT is Taliban Safari.
View Quote

Amazon has Demarest's book for $9.99, but it is free from the DTIC as a PDF here.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Free ebook/PDF -"The Mini-Manual of the Urban Defender:  A Guide to the Strategies and Tactics of Defending a City", by John Spencer of the Modern War Institute.
here--Link is straight to the PDF.    Link to his website here.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By michigan66:
Free ebook/PDF -"The Mini-Manual of the Urban Defender:  A Guide to the Strategies and Tactics of Defending a City", by John Spencer of the Modern War Institute.
here--Link is straight to the PDF.    Link to his website here.
View Quote

@michigan66

Do you know if there's a pdf for this book, amigo?

https://archive.org/details/terroristsofiraq002ednanc/page/n9/mode/2up
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

@michigan66

Do you know if there's a pdf for this book, amigo?

https://archive.org/details/terroristsofiraq002ednanc/page/n9/mode/2up
View Quote

I can't see any.  Nothing on an academic site that has lots of books.  It is a Routledge book, and sometimes on Amazon, for no reason I can find, they reduce the price of their books to $0.  I'll keep looking.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top