Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 2:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil]
Looking on amazon....I have a few rc bodies and models I want to paint. Also for artwork....I know how the results look like with paint cans

Then I have to figure out the paint,reducer etc....

I have too many hobbies,  I need to retire

I do have a small pancake oiless compressor at the shop/bench...if that would work or get a kit if better

I see the master airbrush kits for $129 to $179....was leaning towards the $129 one, don't see a need for the b.s. paper extras I don't plan on detailing like you guys...awesome work!!!!

Just have a big project for this year, next winter after it gets finished...

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I started with the Testors Aztec.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 2:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#2]
Doesn't look like still made, I guess the kits after reading about them, is a waste of money for Me, I got a compressor and regulator just need a airbrush....back to amazon...don't need the paints, wrong colors etc...

Would this get me going?
Master Airbrush Master Performance G233 Pro Set with 3 Nozzle Sets (0.2, 0.3 & 0.5mm Needles, Fluid Tips and Air Caps) and Air Hose - Dual-Action Gravity Feed Airbrush with 1/3 oz Cup, Cutaway Handle..$43

Eta...phone won't link
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Badger 350.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
I started with the Testors Aztec.

View Quote

I tried to use that thing one time and it never worked right. Threw it in the trash 5 min later.

Go with this OP -

PointZero Airbrush Dual Action Airbrush Kit with 3 Airbrushes https://a.co/d/alU9zcY

This what I use and been happy with it
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EvoXGunner:

I tried to use that thing one time and it never worked right. Threw it in the trash 5 min later.

Go with this OP -

PointZero Airbrush Dual Action Airbrush Kit with 3 Airbrushes https://a.co/d/alU9zcY

This what I use and been happy with it
View Quote

Looks good....ordered.....now to choose paint
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My son has an Aztek.  It never worked for him no mater how thick or thin the paint was.

My folks gave me a Paasche GL, 40 years ago.  Nice DA airbrush.  I like SA’s better though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#7]
I had great results with the Testors Aztek air brush.  It's very easy to clean and gave me exactly what I needed.
Unfortunately, it's gone and so too are the nozzles.
I'll have to get something else when the last of my nozzles crap out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bansil:

Looks good....ordered.....now to choose paint
View Quote

For models I like Vallejo paints. For Polycarbonate bodies I've heard Proline and Createx are good but I don't have any experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#9]
I've used a nice Paasche VL )?) double action for 30 years and it still works great. I just have to replace the needle every once in a while. You could buy a used one and replace the o-rings and needle and be good to go.

I also bought one of the Amazon type you mention, and it works 95+% as well as the Paasche.
airbrushes are not rocket science.  I would venture to say 10 year old Chinese kids can make better airbrushes today than the sweatshops of the 1980's.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BW5M8KGX/

I use them to paint brass model trains that can cost $1000+, so you could say I worry about the quality of paint finish I can lay down.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:18:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#10]
if you're interested in airbrushing, I highly recommend watching some of this guys videos, btw.
While the subject is model trains, the creator is a career movie model set artist and his videos are incredibly informative as well as entertaining.
He's one of the very few youtube channels I have an alert set for to let me know when new videos are uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boomer+diorama
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
if you're interested in airbrushing, I highly recommend watching some of this guys videos, btw.
While the subject is model trains, the creator is a career movie model set artist and his videos are incredibly informative as well as entertaining.
He's one of the very few youtube channels I have an alert set for to let me know when new videos are uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boomer+diorama
View Quote

Ha, I've been watching Boomer Diorama for a while now! One of my favorites.

Boylei Hobby Time is another good one. 👍
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Will watch in the mornings....thank you!!

I am so impressed with what yall do with paint on the planes, trains and vehicles....amazing talent
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I bought an Iwata HP-CS

I like it.

easy to use and clean

hardest part is learning how to thin your paints.

note: do not buy direct from the mfg, you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.
View Quote

That’s my go-to airbrush for smaller stuff and detail work.   I did modify it slightly with a different rear cap that has the “throttle stop” they put on their higher end airbrushes.

For larger areas I have a Grex Tritium TG3 with the fan attachment to spray a nice wide pattern.

The little 1 gallon Fortress quiet compressor.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been binge watching youtube videos last two days, i have paint on the way. Vallejo acrylics, do you or do you not need to put a S.S. ball or nut in them to mix them up?

I haven't airbrushed in 35 or 40 years, I don't remeber it being that hard

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#17]
Originally Posted By bansil:
I have been binge watching youtube videos last two days, i have paint on the way. Vallejo acrylics, do you or do you not need to put a S.S. ball or nut in them to mix them up?

I haven't airbrushed in 35 or 40 years, I don't remeber it being that hard

View Quote
I have decided that I like Tamiya a lot better than Vallejo.
Vallejo dries in my airbrush a lot faster (and clogs it). Also, you 100% must use Vallejo airbrush thinner with Vallejo paint.
You can use IPA with Tamiya paints.

But, Tamiya will get messed up with later applications of IPA washes, where Vallejo "cures" and doesn't come up nearly as easily.

my mini stash of paint - there's a bit more over by the paint booth.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]
So played some with the "pre diluted " paints, neat. Definitely better than a spray can.

I was set at 20#'s with brush on.

I think pressure was too high, but I gotta learn the variables. Got a good primer base down and no detail lost and no runs.

My little setup barely ran and was very quiet.

I was using vallejo black top, ready to spray.

I definitely need to figure out the cleaning thing...PITA, the way I'm doing it.....like the edited you tube vids.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I bought an Iwata HP-CS

I like it.

easy to use and clean

hardest part is learning how to thin your paints.

note: do not buy direct from the mfg, you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.
View Quote

I have a Paasche Talon that has been a PITA to use.  So, I've been looking for another airbrush.  The Iwata HPCS is one of them or the Gaahleri Mobius is possibly the other.  Just time to research them both until I get sick of it and then do not bother with either LOL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top