Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PewPewPew1212] [#1]
I’d eat your meat.

Edit for spelling

Edit 2: location checks out
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife made some the other day.

It was really good and gets better after a day or two.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JVD] [#3]
Looks great. The fish sauce is a great thing to have in your culinary arsenal.

And why is it that the minute you put some peppers in your stew people want to add beans?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
No recipe. Just buy some stew meat. Put some flour, pepper, garlic powder mix together in a bowl.
Roll the meat in flour & fry in a dutch oven. Brown & add 1 quart of beef broth, bag of frozen mixed vegetables, & an onion quartered.
4 potatoes quartered. Usually thickens up on its own. If not, add a little cornstarch slurry to thicken gravy. Takes about 2-2 1/2 hours
350 farenheit
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You lost me at fish sauce and anchovies. No man, just no!
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good.  Not how I skin the cat but nothing wrong with that.

However, I always cut up the meat into smaller chunks.  I feel that more browned surface area creates a more flavorful stew.

What freshly baked bread are you eating with it?  You DO have fresh bread, RIGHT???

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice. Looks great!

One of my favorite dishes to prepare.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Meat doesn’t look dark brown all the way through. Throw it back on the heat for a long while.

Other than that, it looks delicious.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Beef Stew one of my favorites!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, I paused my tv show to go back to the OP and read every word and look at every picture.

Thanks OP!

Yummy
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firedog51d] [#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/IMG_1397-3184672.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/IMG_1392-3184673.jpg

61% hydration, enriched (butter, milk, and sugar). Rolls have an egg wash on top, before baking.

Your boy always has fresh baked bread handy.

As for the searing, I've A/B tested it. I can't tell the difference in the final dish, between carefully browning each piece on all four sides, vs searing two sides, then cubing that. And to be honest, searing the shit out of one side only, is damned close in the final dish. Seriously.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
Looks good.  Not how I skin the cat but nothing wrong with that.

However, I always cut up the meat into smaller chunks.  I feel that more browned surface area creates a more flavorful stew.

What freshly baked bread are you eating with it?  You DO have fresh bread, RIGHT???

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/IMG_1397-3184672.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/IMG_1392-3184673.jpg

61% hydration, enriched (butter, milk, and sugar). Rolls have an egg wash on top, before baking.

Your boy always has fresh baked bread handy.

As for the searing, I've A/B tested it. I can't tell the difference in the final dish, between carefully browning each piece on all four sides, vs searing two sides, then cubing that. And to be honest, searing the shit out of one side only, is damned close in the final dish. Seriously.
10/10 would eat that bread!  Slathered in butter and dipped in that stew!

My wife makes sourdough every day.  It's all I eat for bread.  Some meals it's all I eat.

She has a young starter, it's about perfect.

EDIT>  I buy shoulder roasts and cut them in chunks.  My family likes them that way since when it's done, it falls apart.

I've been meaning to a thread on it for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good man. Bouquet garni is your friend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cedjunior] [#18]
This is the best beef stew I've ever made/had.  My girl liked beef stew, but didn't like meat, so I made the meat chunks pretty big so she could avoid them.  Oven searing is a time saver and much more consistent.

Edit: I skipped the peas though

COMFORTING 1 POT BEEF STEW (My Best Recipe of 2022)
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks good. I'd eat it.
I love making my version too and have not made it for a while.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Good looking stew OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#21]
You're onto something the way you sear the beef.  The best stew I made had big chunks of beef chuck roast seared on all sides.  2-2.5 inch chunks.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks damn good Subnet!

Would eat!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Hot damn. I got hungry!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#25]
It really is a huge time saver, and it's more consistent than trying to get a perfect crust on individual pieces. Way less fiddly.

Been doing it this way for years.
View Quote

It makes sense.  Same principle of doing a pot roast.  You sear the outside, but the inside isn't cooked all the way.  Braise for a few hours though, and its just right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good.  I make a similar one.  But I also make a much more plain one sometimes, without the wine, tomato, mushroom, etc.  Basically meat, potatoes, veggies, flour, broth, and salt and pepper.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#27]
Originally Posted By terryj:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/no1-191.gif
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that-970.gif
View Quote

That, and the tomatoes.

Also, needs more mushrooms.

That said, I'd try it and it's probably very good, otherwise who would go to all the trouble?

I like the classic Julia Child Beef Bourguinon recipe though.  Hard to go wrong.  My only addition is a few shakes of Montreal steak seasoning.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Bravo sir!  You’re quite the cook. We’re in a spring cold snap up here and beef stew sounds good right about now.  Will attempt.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Heres easy peasy Beef Stew

2 64oz bottles V-8
4 Tblspns Garlic
Several shakes of Tabasco
Several shakes of Worshestire  
4 Cubes beef bullion
salt n pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Parsley
3 bay leaf
chopped carrot  (3-4 or 3cups baby)
chopped celery (one head)
simmer 15m

add 2 lbs of cubed beef of choice
(Cheapest on sale is best)

Let simmer for 20-30m

Add

chopped onion (1 lg)
chopped/Lg diced potato (2 lbs)

simmer 10m

Turn heat off and let cool

Serve with crusty Sourdough or French loaf
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Excellent job! Recipe looks delicious.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

It adds a savory element you can't get otherwise
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

It adds a savory element you can't get otherwise
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#34]
nice
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:48:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks Great-I love Stew!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:16:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#36]
Looks good. Skip the anchovies and fish sauce. Just use Oyster sauce instead. Both my grandmothers used parsnips, a great but forgotten vegetable. This time of year you find them in the grocery store. I take a tip from a Medevil cookbook and use 1-2 cinnamon sticks. My family thought I was nuts until they tried it. The fresh-baked bread bowls are a nice touch. There are 9 of us so to make it stretch, I sometimes serve over steamed rice ( two measures of rice and one measure of Wild Rice).
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Mushrooms,yuck!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks awesome. I scored some cross cut shanks that will be getting this treatment tomorrow.

I love the gelatin trick. It really adds body without turning pasty like starch can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Yum!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Bookmarked!

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bossco14:
Mushrooms,yuck!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#42]
kinda late to the party  but.....

i would skip the bread and make a pot of polenta (or scrapple)

goes great with the gravy.....

also, on the side, some cheese.....asiago, parmigiano reggiano or peccorino romano....even sharp cheddar would do
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:29:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHold] [#43]
This is planned for today's dinner

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds and looks great. I make mine in a similar manner but use Guinness instead of wine, haven't tried anchovies but I use fish sauce quite a bit in other things though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Thoughts:

* Oven searing is a great idea.
* Peeling pearl onions sucks, even if you're good at it (and I am). I use a 12 oz bag of peeled frozen ones. He's wrong about them being soft or soggy, IMHO.
* While I appreciate the use of international units of measurement, it's a tad annoying in a recipe for a North American audience (most of his audience...), that buys things in North American amounts. Example: He uses 300g of Mushroom. That's ~11oz. Mushrooms are sold in 8 or 16 oz packages, in the US. If you follow his recipe to the letter, you'll find yourself annoyed when buying ingredients in the amounts they're sold in, here in the US (especially when using what remains for other recipes - everybody forgets that). Just use an 8oz package, quarter them, and call it good. Or use two of them (or one 16 oz package) if you really like mushrooms. It's fine. He calls for 400g of carrots. Just say a lb (it's only 54g more than what he's calling for, and it makes no difference in the final dish) - carrots are sold by the pound in the US. Use one unit of that - it makes your life easier. Same deal with the potatoes - they're sold by the pound in the US. Being short 46 grams just so you can use a round metric number isn't worth it.
* Using a stout beer is a cool idea - I'd like to try that.

Peas in beef stew are a religious argument. I didn't add them to mine, but adding some frozen peas at the end and heating them through, is just fine IMHO.

View Quote

I do that guys channel though and appreciate the conciseness of using grams (for certain things anyway).  But you're right, doesnt hurt to go a little light or heavy on certain things.  I am sort of a "use what I got" cook, we try not to waste anything so sometimes that means there will be extra carrots in stuff lol.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#48]
@Subnet, thanks for another great cooking thread!
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Thoughts:

* Peeling pearl onions sucks, even if you're good at it (and I am). I use a 12 oz bag of peeled frozen ones. He's wrong about them being soft or soggy, IMHO.
* While I appreciate the use of international units of measurement, it's a tad annoying in a recipe for a North American audience (most of his audience...), that buys things in North American amounts. Example: He uses 300g of Mushroom. That's ~11oz. Mushrooms are sold in 8 or 16 oz packages, in the US. If you follow his recipe to the letter, you'll find yourself annoyed when buying ingredients in the amounts they're sold in, here in the US (especially when using what remains for other recipes - everybody forgets that). Just use an 8oz package, quarter them, and call it good. Or use two of them (or one 16 oz package) if you really like mushrooms. It's fine. He calls for 400g of carrots. Just say a lb (it's only 54g more than what he's calling for, and it makes no difference in the final dish) - carrots are sold by the pound in the US. Use one unit of that - it makes your life easier. Same deal with the potatoes - they're sold by the pound in the US. Being short 46 grams just so you can use a round metric number isn't worth it.

Peas in beef stew are a religious argument. I didn't add them to mine, but adding some frozen peas at the end and heating them through, is just fine IMHO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cedjunior:
This is the best beef stew I've ever made/had.  My girl liked beef stew, but didn't like meat, so I made the meat chunks pretty big so she could avoid them.  Oven searing is a time saver and much more consistent.

Edit: I skipped the peas though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXYJZBR_HU
Thoughts:

Yes the metric shit is hard to deal with, but like you I just round up or down, and also I did just use regular onions, not pearls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Beef Stew (Page 1 of 2)
Top Top