Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2023 6:53:35 AM EDT
Ran for 5-6 hours around 250 until I wrapped in butcher paper (internal averaged 170's) and put in the oven at 300.  Ran that til probe tender.  Cooked a little unevenly with one end being more done than the other, so I'll have to remember rotate them in the smoker next time.  Rub was my own blend - black pepper, mortons kosher salt, gochugaru (Korean red pepper flake), celery seed - and Harry Soo's Umami rub applied on top of that.  This was my second cook on this smoker.  Next time I will start with hot water in the pan and more lit coals if I don't want to wait more than an hour to come up to temp.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never had luck with beef ribs (when I can find them), but yours look really good. Nicely done OP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Looks delicious! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IH1026:
I've never had luck with beef ribs (when I can find them), but yours look really good. Nicely done OP.
View Quote

What issues do you have with beef ribs? Usually most beef ribs you smoke are either back ribs (as OP did) or are plate/chuck ribs (the typical "dinosaur" bone rib you see). Short ribs *can* be smoked but they're usually better served by either braising to make a sauce like a ragu, or ground.

Treat them like brisket or chuck. Good rub, smoke low and slow until just over 200F. Because they're a lot of bone and small you usually don't need to wrap them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top