Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
These times are the worst of times much harder than ever before so we should be creating lots of tough guys.
View Quote

you're not the typical billy badass billionaire MMA fighter tough guy hard case pronstar chef navy squeal GDer with the harem of hairless below their eyelashes 20 year old yurpean supermodels, broseidon?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
This thread should be civil.
View Quote

Popcorn stonks go up up up!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My mail lady has a "USPS we're hiring" sticker on her mail truck.

That would be a cush job:  work half a day if you hustle and you're done.
View Quote
so when do you start?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you read the whole article, it's a bunch of kids who had jobs, scholarships, etc. then decided to quit because of "mental health".

And the answer is UBI... because if they don't feel like being productive we need to pay them anyway....
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
so when do you start?
View Quote

Retired DoD lifers don't get part time jobs unless they either made really bad decisions involving either real estate or strippers, or they have gotten so bored they are at risk to 22 a day themselves.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:
If you read the whole article, it's a bunch of kids who had jobs, scholarships, etc. then decided to quit because of "mental health".

And the answer is UBI... because if they don't feel like being productive we need to pay them anyway....
View Quote

2020 fucked with my mental health more than either of my deployments. I didn't even get laid off. I'm not saying I condone bitching out, I'm just saying, I understand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

2020 fucked with my mental health more than either of my deployments. I didn't even get laid off. I'm not saying I condone bitching out, I'm just saying, I understand.
View Quote
i wish i could get laid off.

collect unemployment for a year.

i need a break.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what happens when you baby proof your house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I already have an easy job.  USPS would be a good starter job for a zeke.
View Quote
USPS might could be an even easier job for you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe as a retirement job chasing drug runners is too much fun.
View Quote
allegedly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe as a retirement job…chasing drug runners is too much fun.
View Quote

LOS AOR is fun if you like hanging around 5.11 stores and picking up on their cashier chicks. Just saying amigo
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

At least around here it’s incredibly hard to get hired on with USPS. I’m not sure if they have lots of applicants, or it’s something about the requirements though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not going to shit on anyone who came out of a foster care system and made an effort to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Destiny sounds like an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
There's always Truck Driving School (they have refreshments and door prizes)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Sage-3200347.jpg
View Quote

Every tech type d bag on the web is telling these kids those jobs will be gone any day now too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

Every tech type d bag on the web is telling these kids those jobs will be gone any day now too.
View Quote

They're gonna go, just a matter of when. The technology already exists.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]

They're gonna go, just a matter of when. The technology already exists.
View Quote
Maybe in some limited applications/markets but for the here and now and the near future, nope.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Maybe in some limited applications/markets but for the here and now and the near future, nope.
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by near future, but maybe.

.gov is going to drag their feet at every step of approving the technology because of the social implications, but there is too much money to be saved on labor. Those jobs are on their way out eventually.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
Sounds like thing are going to plan.  Disaffected youth are needed for the upcoming cultural revolution.  I don’t think they will be called the red guards though.  Maybe the rainbow brigade?
View Quote

And unfortunately for them, they have no idea what happens to left wing revolutionaries when they’re no longer needed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
Kids growing up with no guidance turn into adults that have issues? No kidding.
View Quote

And yet older generations are never blamed, even the parents.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GenoGS:

At least around here it’s incredibly hard to get hired on with USPS. I’m not sure if they have lots of applicants, or it’s something about the requirements though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty sure there is a Federal exam you have to study for.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
i wish i could get laid off.

collect unemployment for a year.

i need a break.
View Quote

It seems most of my IRL buddies become temporarily disabled after union work assignments. I hope their health improves
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Nothing about boot straps….

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I spent like three years unemployed after my entire life collapsed (Lost my job, lost my girl, lost my friends, lost my house, lost my truck, in that order in the same year) and then covid happened right after that. I lived with family and just tried to drown my depression with video games.

I woke up one day and looked at myself in a mirror and decided I didn't want to live like that anymore and be a fucking loser. Fast forward two years later and I have my own house and a new truck and I'm making more money in a month than I was before in 6.

It is ENTIRELY how hard you try. I've noticed this with all the young guys at work I've had to train. With the zoomers I've noticed 3 things:

1. They can't get off their god damn phones for 5 minutes and whine and cry if you tell them to get off it. They all have a dopamine addiction to social media.

2. They're extremely lazy and entitled.

3. They have no idea how to do even basic tasks or understand basic concepts because they haven't actually done anything for their entire lives except play on their phone.

We have a new guy that started a month ago that's 19 and we told him exactly what he should bring for his first week; a lunchbox with enough food for 12 hours, at least a gallon of water, sunscreen, and some basic medicine. Simple stuff.

He shows up with no water and a box of Cheez-its and literally nothing else we told him to bring. He forgot his glasses too. Then he starts complaining of a headache halfway through the day because he's dehydrated and has nothing to treat a headache. It's literally like trying to train a five year old except this kid is 19 and can legally vote. And I've had like 5 new guys in a row like this all in the same age group. But you can bet your ass he remembered to bring his phone charger!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jellyfrosh:
I spent like three years unemployed after my entire life collapsed (Lost my job, lost my girl, lost my friends, lost my house, lost my truck, in that order in the same year) and then covid happened right after that. I lived with family and just tried to drown my depression with video games.

I woke up one day and looked at myself in a mirror and decided I didn't want to live like that anymore and be a fucking loser. Fast forward two years later and I have my own house and a new truck and I'm making more money in a month than I was before in 6.

It is ENTIRELY how hard you try. I've noticed this with all the young guys at work I've had to train. With the zoomers I've noticed 3 things:

1. They can't get off their god damn phones for 5 minutes and whine and cry if you tell them to get off it. They all have a dopamine addiction to social media.

2. They're extremely lazy and entitled.

3. They have no idea how to do even basic tasks or understand basic concepts because they haven't actually done anything for their entire lives except play on their phone.

We have a new guy that started a month ago that's 19 and we told him exactly what he should bring for his first week; a lunchbox with enough food for 12 hours, at least a gallon of water, sunscreen, and some basic medicine. Simple stuff.

He shows up with no water and a box of Cheez-its and literally nothing else we told him to bring. He forgot his glasses too. Then he starts complaining of a headache halfway through the day because he's dehydrated and has nothing to treat a headache. It's literally like trying to train a five year old except this kid is 19 and can legally vote. And I've had like 5 new guys in a row like this all in the same age group. But you can bet your ass he remembered to bring his phone charger!
View Quote

My generation sucks as a whole. On the bright side, it makes those of us who can work stand out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I would like to work for you for free, sir.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#33]
We definitely needed another ageist class warfare topic thread. Surely there's tons of things not covered in the 5 simultaneously going at any given time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I wonder how common dip shits that fucked up actually are. I basically never see them, but there is some selection bias at play. That kid probably lacks the ability to get a STEM degree, and would probably never sign up to be a roughneck (those guys work). I have virtually zero interaction with anyone that would be filtered by the above in the last 18 months.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
We definitely needed another ageist class warfare topic thread. Surely there's tons of things not covered in the 5 simultaneously going at any given time.
View Quote

The Gangster Party Line is live. Hundreds of Zoomahs are standing by to take your call.

Pick up the muh fuckin phone and dial it, boomah!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]

I wonder how common dip shits that fucked up actually are. I basically never see them, but there is some selection bias at play. That kid probably lacks the ability to get a STEM degree, and would probably never sign up to be a roughneck (those guys work). I have virtually zero interaction with anyone that would be filtered by the above in the last 18 months.
View Quote

I work in the mining industry with explosives. You have all the MSHA training and paperwork plus ATF on top of regular work paperwork just to get hired.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]

I work in the mining industry with explosives. You have all the MSHA training and paperwork plus ATF on top of regular work paperwork just to get hired.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

I would like to work for you for free, sir.
View Quote
you should see me loadout when i work at da coal mines.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Fuck it I’m down
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Fuck it I'm down
View Quote
i know some blasters.

they're... different.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zer0t] [#41]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#42]
i know some blasters.

they're... different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuck it I'm down
i know some blasters.

they're... different.

my Dad was one back in the 1950s
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Around me its pretty easy, a have a young female postal person that comes to the house sometimes. First time I saw her I said are you not way to young to be a postal lady. She said nope started at 21, plans to be retired at 51. She said she applied and had the job 3 month later. She said it was easy, she applied on a whim and was hired, she said she liked it so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#44]
What night is the cucumber deepthroat contest? She could at least get up to $100 if she's talented enough. Or maybe a strong pimphand to watch over her. The possibilities are endless for a properly motivated person.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#45]
That's a good life plan she has decided to give up at 21

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I found this interesting:
Business Insider found that 18- to 24-year-old Americans who were working earned a median income of $19,200.  The National Center for Education Statistics found that among 25- to 34-year-olds working full time in 2021, those who hadn't completed high school earned a median of $32,500, while those who had completed high school had a median income of $39,700. For those with a bachelor's degree, that jumped to $61,600.
View Quote
How is it unusual that people just starting out make less money than those who are older and have more experience?  The problem is our educational system which is more concerned with protecting students from harsh reality than toughening them out to face that reality.  Too many people use "mental health" as a crutch and excuse for dropping out.

When I was 18 - 24 I had to have room mates to split expenses and living at home with your parents meant you were a loser.  If things got tough you had to push through because failure was not an option.  The people who are suppose to be preparing our kids for life as adults have failed these kids by promoting unrealistic expectations and giving them an excuse to fail citing "mental health".
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Stop helping except in extreme cases.

Sink or swim bitches. I think the kids will find a way if they were raised with morals and ethics.

If not there's always only fans and selling crack!
View Quote

“Why do democrats get so many voters!”

This bullshit here
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#48]
My BIL has been driving a truck for 40 yrs.
He see's this every week.
He says anybody can drive going straight down the road but you earn your money backing up to the docks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

Pretty sure there is a Federal exam you have to study for.

View Quote

There is a pecking order on usps or any government jerbs for that matter.
Purple Heart vets get first call.
Regular vets next
Common swine last.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By thejokker:
I found this interesting:
How is it unusual that people just starting out make less money than those who are older and have more experience?
View Quote

Its not. The issue is how those numbers compare to people with the same ages and levels of education, adjusted for inflation, 30 years ago, and the slope of the trend line. This has been gone over ad nauseum, I don't know how its not a well understood concept at this point.

Here's a real world example of how a lot of trades have been doing:

At my last job, the guy that trained me through my apprenticeship had been working there for almost 35 years. Close to the end of my time there he pulled the 'ol "man you should be grateful to this company, they pay you real good money. When I was at your level of experience I was only making (I forget the exact number, it was about $15/hr)"
Me: "B**********, what year was that?"
B**********: "1992"
Upon putting it into an inflation calculator, I figured out that $15/hr at 1992 value wasn't just more than what I was making, it was more than what he was making at that time, after almost 35 years of service and being probably the single most irreplaceable tradie at a company with almost 500 employees. He had gotten an AA, several welding certs, had a couple of promotions, was on paper as some sort of management position for a while (he didn't like the management part). There were older jobs we would do sometimes to make a customer small amounts of service parts for obsolete equipment they make. Some of those jobs had to be scheduled around this dude's vacations, because everyone else who could do them any less fucked up than I could (which wasn't exactly bad, just painfully slow while I figure it out) was already retired. Meanwhile, adjusted for inflation, he was making less than he was making as a 24 year old with less than five years experience.

Now, obviously, this isn't every trade. Some trades have actually tracked even worse. Some have tracked evenly. Some are actually pretty good, and will continue to be good for a long time. But most of the averages across the economy as a whole are trending in all the wrong directions.

That doesn't mean anyone should bitch out, btw. It just means they are going to have a harder time. They should still put their boots on and keep trying.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top