Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:41:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey1Alpha] [#1]
It's actually a relatively simple fix, we just don't want to do it because our 'leaders' are not serious people.

- Make it impossible for illegals to get any sort of benefit, gov issued ID or anything. This on tax payer savings alone would be massive.

- Install exponentially increasing fines on companies who are found to employ illegals; under SOX, make the owner/executives liable for this as well. They'll get fined into non-existence or end up in jail for continuing this.

- Take a good look at entitlements and the ever growing 'safety net' for citizens and remove things that basically incentivize not working. These have only been getting worse and costing more for a zero net benefit.

- That 'orange juice will be 10$' idea will initially occur, but will not last long based on people not buying 10$ orange juice. At that point wages would meet at a level of demand and stabilize/normalize. This is basic economics.

- People need to figure out that they are not worth X$ per hour. They are worth the services they can provide that someone is willing to pay them for. By removing the incentives to be lazy, this would fix itself and have harsh real life penalties for those not wanting to do shit. Being hungry as shit with no gov cheese seems to really motivate people for some odd reason.

I only have a finance and econ degree and I have seen the way out of this for over a decade. Yet, we never really do anything resembling an attempt to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan-in-Paulden:

Myth!

Reality is, here in AZ, 98% of construction workers are mexican. Yet housing is the most expensive it's ever been.

Many years ago, when I started in the housing industry, all the construction tradesmen were white Americans.
Drywallers, framers, concrete finishers, everybody.
Even the guy that drove the Porta-Potti truck.

And houses were affordable.
I worked on a tract of homes in Paradise Valley, an upscale part of town. Some of the tradesmen bought those homes.
They were affordable to the average guy, and built entirely by Americans.

It's a myth that American labor is inflationary.
Reality is, millions of illegal consumers are altering the normal free-market, supply/demand dynamic.
That is the cause of inflation!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dan-in-Paulden:
Originally Posted By GlockZen:

I agree hire American labor, just be prepared to pay $10.00 for a Quart of Orange Juice.

Cantillon Effect, baby

Myth!

Reality is, here in AZ, 98% of construction workers are mexican. Yet housing is the most expensive it's ever been.

Many years ago, when I started in the housing industry, all the construction tradesmen were white Americans.
Drywallers, framers, concrete finishers, everybody.
Even the guy that drove the Porta-Potti truck.

And houses were affordable.
I worked on a tract of homes in Paradise Valley, an upscale part of town. Some of the tradesmen bought those homes.
They were affordable to the average guy, and built entirely by Americans.

It's a myth that American labor is inflationary.
Reality is, millions of illegal consumers are altering the normal free-market, supply/demand dynamic.
That is the cause of inflation!

Lmao. While construction costs do affect home pricing, it is not the reason for the housing boom.

But you already know this and are just being obtuse.

If you don’t already understand it, you aren’t going to suddenly get it by me explaining it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]

I agree hire American labor, just be prepared to pay $10.00 for a Quart of Orange Juice.

Cantillon Effect, baby
View Quote

It’s called automation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:

It’s called automation.
View Quote

I’m still waiting on a machine that can pick certain produce.
I can empathize with farmers. Good labor is the number one issue facing farmers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t really know if illegal immigration helps us financially. There are other issues that make up quality of life.

But.

“Americans won’t do the work “. I bucked bales in high school.  We had illegal immigrants in the chicken processing plants but NONE in bale bucking. If they could hang they would have been hired.  You were always paid in cash
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1cheapshot:
You know we used to have this thing called migrant labor. They got this thing called a green card and it was good for 6 months or more. And you would go work in the US a few months and bring back decent money for your home country. Gee why can't we keep a system like that ???
View Quote
Yes, good luck getting a white guy to do that job for less than 25 bucks an hour and hope he shows up for more than a day.  There is some real naivety on this forum about crop harvesting and construction.  Either we won't be able to afford the product or it just wont show up without the cheap third world labor.  But, there should be a system as described above, not just open border bullshit.  

I honestly can't figure out how they pay these guys under the table without getting caught though, they must be slicker than I am.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]

It’s called automation.
View All Quotes

Cantillon Effect, baby

It’s called automation.

We are a long time from the automation of hand harvest of tree fruits. It is getting there but you have to make your trees grow to a specific architecture that makes it easy for the machine to pick.  I have some pear trees that are almost 100 years old, no machine is going to efficiently pick those. Same goes for cherries. Apples on a trellis where you have a 2 dimensional plane and can put your fruit exactly where you want it will be doable.  That being said your then going to have to invent a machine that can tie the limbs and prune them correctly in order for the ai harvester to work.

The solution is simple. Force e verify for all employers, make it impossible to be employed without federal authentication of your ssn.  second we will need to develop an affordable, easy to use work visa system that allows people to come to work but forces them to go home and de incentivizes them to bring or start a family.  The government loves anchor babies it feeds the wic/snap/school system as well as they love the people pay into the social security system and not being able to withdraw.

The only reason that illegal immigration exists is because it props up the social security ponzy scheme.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
You know we used to have this thing called migrant labor. They got this thing called a green card and it was good for 6 months or more. And you would go work in the US a few months and bring back decent money for your home country. Gee why can’t we keep a system like that ???
View Quote

we do still have that, its called H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2a-temporary-agricultural-workers
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kaizer27:
Yes, good luck getting a white guy to do that job for less than 25 bucks an hour and hope he shows up for more than a day.  There is some real naivety on this forum about crop harvesting and construction.  Either we won't be able to afford the product or it just wont show up without the cheap third world labor.  But, there should be a system as described above, not just open border bullshit.  

I honestly can't figure out how they pay these guys under the table without getting caught though, they must be slicker than I am.
View All Quotes
You know we used to have this thing called migrant labor. They got this thing called a green card and it was good for 6 months or more. And you would go work in the US a few months and bring back decent money for your home country. Gee why can't we keep a system like that ???

my work packs a seasonal crop and we have a hard time keeping workers.  temp agency will send someone out in the morning, they'll work through lunch and then just not come back.

had to go H2A to get people willing to work an admittly difficult job (stacking pallets with 25 pound boxes to around 7' so a lot of overhead lifting).
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

So what you’re saying is you hate free market capitalism.

That a load of crap about the product not showing up. The free market will work itself out and some the issue.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
It's actually a relatively simple fix, we just don't want to do it because our 'leaders' are not serious people.

- Make it impossible for illegals to get any sort of benefit, gov issued ID or anything. This on tax payer savings alone would be massive.

- Install exponentially increasing fines on companies who are found to employ illegals; under SOX, make the owner/executives liable for this as well. They'll get fined into non-existence or end up in jail for continuing this.

- Take a good look at entitlements and the ever growing 'safety net' for citizens and remove things that basically incentivize not working. These have only been getting worse and costing more for a zero net benefit.

- That 'orange juice will be 10$' idea will initially occur, but will not last long based on people not buying 10$ orange juice. At that point wages would meet at a level of demand and stabilize/normalize. This is basic economics.

- People need to figure out that they are not worth X$ per hour. They are worth the services they can provide that someone is willing to pay them for. By removing the incentives to be lazy, this would fix itself and have harsh real life penalties for those not wanting to do shit. Being hungry as shit with no gov cheese seems to really motivate people for some odd reason.

I only have a finance and econ degree and I have seen the way out of this for over a decade. Yet, we never really do anything resembling an attempt to fix it.
View Quote

Exactly. Fixing the problem may not be easy for a short period of time but the market will work itself out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2a-temporary-agricultural-workers
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
You know we used to have this thing called migrant labor. They got this thing called a green card and it was good for 6 months or more. And you would go work in the US a few months and bring back decent money for your home country. Gee why can’t we keep a system like that ???

And enforcement for failure to return is?
Near zero.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Oh I don’t know maybe companies will just have to pay actual Americans a living wage rather hiring illegals which ends up suppressing wages for Americans

If your business model requires the use of illegal immigrant labor you deserve to go out of business. Pushing cheap illegal labor out of the labor market is how you raise wages for Americans.
View Quote

Your strawberries may cost as much as the square watermelon. These watermelons are grown in Japan and are quite expensive, often costing around $100 or more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Yesterday I was wearing $500 USA made work boots and $250 pair of USA made jeans. People need to learn to pay for quality.

Let’s pretend orange juice doubles in your scenario. One of two things happen.

1. People pay for $9 cartons of orange juice and move on with life.

Or

People stop buying Orange juice and the business owner/management says nobody is buying our product since we raised prices. How are we going to fix this because we can’t pay the workers less because they’ll quit.

Their options are: A. Find a way to make the business more efficient so they can lower prices while maintaining profits and employee pay. Or. B. They can lower their profit margin and just make less.

The other option is they just go out of business and another company with a better business model steps in and fills the void in the market.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

So what is your answer to the doubling of prices for consumers ???

You don't have one.

But you do like posturing from a soapbox.

Virtue signalling doesn't solve problems for the people that can barely afford to eat or put gas in a car as it is.

Yesterday I was wearing $500 USA made work boots and $250 pair of USA made jeans. People need to learn to pay for quality.

Let’s pretend orange juice doubles in your scenario. One of two things happen.

1. People pay for $9 cartons of orange juice and move on with life.

Or

People stop buying Orange juice and the business owner/management says nobody is buying our product since we raised prices. How are we going to fix this because we can’t pay the workers less because they’ll quit.

Their options are: A. Find a way to make the business more efficient so they can lower prices while maintaining profits and employee pay. Or. B. They can lower their profit margin and just make less.

The other option is they just go out of business and another company with a better business model steps in and fills the void in the market.

While I am 100% against illegal immigration, this is one of the most simplistic and unrealistic things that I have ever read in GD.

And that’s saying something.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like he should be deported too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

Lmao. While construction costs do affect home pricing, it is not the reason for the housing boom.

But you already know this and are just being obtuse.

If you don’t already understand it, you aren’t going to suddenly get it by me explaining it.
View Quote

The point being, American labor isn't the inflationary boogieman that is often alleged by the 'open borders' advocates.

I've personally worked in the era where all construction labor was American. And the homes were affordable to the average worker.

I've been in residential construction for over 40 years. I spent 20 years as a General Contractor/home builder.

You seem to be in favor of illegal immigrant labor.

Maybe you can explain the benefits of that labor from your personal experience.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If they were't tax payer subsidized they'd be working for nothing
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bigred1001:

Plenty if the next text they got concerning their EBT card load said

"you lose, you get nothing, good day"

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigred1001:
Originally Posted By jaime1982:
Hire legal temporary workers would be ok.

How many Americans will do that job?

Plenty if the next text they got concerning their EBT card load said

"you lose, you get nothing, good day"

I approve this message.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Which laws can I break professionally and personally to make my life better?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
A year later, Florida businesses say the state's immigration law dealt a huge blow

PLANT CITY, Fla. It's early morning in this small agricultural town in Central Florida and the pickers are already hunched over the bushes, plucking strawberries, the main crop out here.

Fidel Sanchez instructs his workers to get rid of the fruit that fell and rotted on the ground.
View Quote

Like other farmers out here, Sanchez is worried about how long he will be able to keep his business going.

About a year ago, Florida Governor- and then presidential candidate- Ron DeSantis passed one of the toughest crackdowns on immigration in the country.

SB1718 punishes employers who use undocumented labor and forbids undocumented people from having a driver's license.
View Quote

Many local Florida businesses say the new law has led to workers leaving the state that's hurt their bottom line. "A lot of people are scared," says Sanchez. "A lot of people went north and never came back."
View Quote

Sanchez says the effect of the law was immediate.

Families he'd worked with for 20 or 30 years were gone from one day to the next. "The government doesn't seem to care," he says. "Maybe they think the crops are gonna pick themselves."
View Quote

The Pew Research Center estimates there is close to one million undocumented people.

Even if just a fraction of them were to leave, Hetrick says, "how do these cities get built? How do the houses get built? We all know very well how these things are being built."
View Quote

Oh I don’t know maybe companies will just have to pay actual Americans a living wage rather hiring illegals which ends up suppressing wages for Americans

If your business model requires the use of illegal immigrant labor you deserve to go out of business. Pushing cheap illegal labor out of the labor market is how you raise wages for Americans.

View Quote

Never signed somebodies paycheck I see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Washington said " Make a man uncomfortable in his poverty". I've been there. Simple but effective strategy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#23]
Given the considerable extra taxes and other things we de facto pay for and subsidize to support the illegal immigrant population, it will go a loooong way to pay any extra cost for housing, etc.

Continuing to host the illegal population will result in Leftist control and a loss of freedom.
Can’t even put a price tag on that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prijador] [#24]
Here, for the doomsayers saying prices will skyrocket:

Even that leftist propaganda the Washington Compost admits prices will only increasee slightly

Of course it is all the way towards the end of the article, and there’s a whole mess of bullshit before you get to the punchline of the price increase being single digit percent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

We still have it.  It's the H-2 temporary worker program.  Farmers and meatpacking plants and construction firms don't want to bother following the rules because it's cheaper not to and they don't have to deal with taxes or insurance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jaime1982:
Hire legal temporary workers would be ok.

How many Americans will do that job?
View Quote
None when they can make more on food stamps.

There is nothing wrong with migrant workers who come in, pick the crops, and go home. The left wants to scream migrant when they know they aren't migrating to the work and back home. They are invading and staying.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like an argument to get rid of minimum wage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#28]
When the new residents finally get their commie supplied legal team in place you'll see changes in your dail life that you simply can't imagine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't see the problem. Adapt and overcome. Within a year companies will design machines to pick everything
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top