Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2024 2:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper]
Mah truck needs painting and I are ig’nant of paint things.

Attachment Attached File

I got a quote for some huge $6k for basecoat/clear coat.  

Is single stage any good or is it some Econo / Earl Scheib waste of money?

I don’t plan to get rid of the truck but I can’t put $6k into paint.

Yeah, and no rattle can.

Thoughts?

ETA:  Maaco paint job?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
6k is cheap to have that bigass thing repainted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep..  6 k is cheap.  

There is a shit ton of prep that goes into doing it right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:48:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#3]
If it's a reputable shop that's a deal.

Base/clear is what the truck Originally had.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
If it's a reputable shop that's a deal.

Base/clear is what the truck Originally had.
View Quote

Earl Schaub paints any car for $199.99
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
What about a Maaco paint job?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:13:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#6]
Truck like that would start at 10k for base clear with warranty for ten years .  I'd shoot it single stage for 8 with no warranty single stage is garbage unless you wax or ceramic coat it frequently and keep it parked in a garage.  

Good base clear will last 10-20 years in the sun maybe longer if you take care of it.  Single stage you'd be lucky to get 5 years out of it.

Good materials (good paint is more uv resistant) will run around 1500-2k to paint that big ass truck.  Detrim and prepping is a lot of work as well especially if you have rock chips and shit everywhere you want fixed.

You get what you pay for.  Could always do it yourself if you have any experience might come out okay and only cost a couple grand and some time

Macco is garbage.  Only do that if you are trying to sell a shit ox fast and just want it to look decent from ten feet away.

Pic of what I'm working on this week for attention.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173081/IMG_20240307_172155_1-3172549.jpgTruck like that would start at 10k for base clear with warranty for ten years .  I'd shoot it single stage for 8 with no warranty single stage is garbage unless you wax or ceramic coat it frequently and keep it parked in a garage.  

Good base clear will last 10-20 years in the sun maybe longer if you take care of it.  Single stage you'd be lucky to get 5 years out of it.

Good materials (good paint is more uv resistant) will run around 1500-2k to paint that big ass truck.  Detrim and prepping is a lot of work as well especially if you have rock chips and shit everywhere you want fixed.

You get what you pay for.  Could always do it yourself if you have any experience might come out okay and only cost a couple grand and some time

Macco is garbage.  Only do that if you are trying to sell a shit ox fast and just want it to look decent from ten feet away.

View Quote

Don’t slag single stage too much. That’s the staple of my industry. The good stuff will last 20-30 years easy.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm surprised you were only quoted 6K for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Wrap it
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Let that boomer wagon go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Seems excessive. I only paid $1000 to have my Custom El Camino painted in 1983.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ydididothis:
View Quote

This. I've been quoted anywhere from $7K to $10K to have an 88 Mustang convertible with minor body damage and zero rust done in the original color. You could almost fit the entire car in the back of that truck!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
The paint alone for my last project cost $2,500.00

That said, have a buddy help do some body work, take it to MAACO, get a base/clear for ~$1,800.00.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Two haves of a Harley fuel tank and two fenders one color two years ago was $650 including materials. A friend has a a shop, small two man operation.

And that was a good price.

Last car I had painted was in conjunction with the body work. Another friend’s body shop, 1997. $3500 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up the tins for my Harley from the painter on Wednesday. I got the "buddy price" of only $1,500 for vivid black.
Every piece was stripped down beforehand by another arfcommer and myself and there was no bodywork needed.

Paint ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Buddy got a quote on his 87 camaro-with him taking all the trim off it was still 7k
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Don’t bother.

Maybe get it wrapped? Couple grand, lasts a few years. Plasti dipped? Depending on your market maybe $1500, will last a few years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Built a ‘68 Coronet for my son from ground up including paint.  Prep is the biggest pain which you really do not have.  The second is size.  Start to finish on paint day was 7 hours running 1 sealer coat, 4 base, and 2 clears.  I almost no longer have the horsepower to make that happen but it was a metallic that needed a single spray out to make sure it matched.  Your white leaves some options.  Bite off a panel at a time and spray it yourself.  The risk of metallics not matching is humidity changes or pressure moves in your gun.  White will be easy.  Second will be orange peel.  Even the best get it and newbies are guaranteed.  It is not a big deal but just know that after paint you will need to cut and polish the entire truck.  This takes longer than painting it.

Stroking a check at this point isn’t sounding to bad is it?

I had over 1,200 man hours in my build so it was just part of the deal.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173081/IMG_20240307_172155_1-3172549.jpgTruck like that would start at 10k for base clear with warranty for ten years .  I'd shoot it single stage for 8 with no warranty single stage is garbage unless you wax or ceramic coat it frequently and keep it parked in a garage.  

View Quote

This guy paints
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By highstepper:
Mah truck needs painting and I are ig’nant of paint things.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177088/0C6B7B40-2A5E-4AE8-89BE-032149BA1FC1_jpe-3172501.JPG

I don’t plan to get rid of the truck but I can’t put $6k into paint.

Yeah, and no rattle can.

Thoughts?

View Quote

6k?

That's it?

Good God that's cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#22]
It looks fine. Why the fuck would you waste money repainting a work truck?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]
OP needs to go to a PPG store and buy paint. I work at a dealership with a body shop so I get it at our cost. Probably 10 years ago I had my motorcycle painted.

Back then the paint was like $150 a pint. A FUCKING PINT. Granted that gets cut but still.

I'd bet that same paint now is $250-300 a pint.

As others have said $6000 is cheap. If you want it painted I'd drop the truck off before they change their minds.

You could also look into getting it wrapped. Modern vinyl is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#24]
A REAL Arfcommer would use this as an excuse to go out and spend $5k on tools and paint, shoot it himself and brag about saving $1k.

Guess how I know.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#25]
OP needs to recalibrate his expectations
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Got_Guns:

This guy paints
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Got_Guns:

This guy paints

Errrr he doesn't know that single stage urethanes are just as tough as urethane clear coats.  Maybe single stage to him means lacquer?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not seeing the problem with the original paint.  I say drive it till she dies, just like it is.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Good single stage has the same uv protection as base/clear. Solid colors...go single stage. Metallic flake...base/clear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
A REAL Arfcommer would use this as an excuse to go out and spend $5k on tools and paint, shoot it himself and brag about saving $1k.

Guess how I know.

View Quote

And put in about 200 hours worth of sanding and body work, then neglect to include that in his savings calculations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Bedliner it, might cost a grand.

The other option if your being cheap is boat paint. Sand it down and roll and tip on the right primer, then spray the top coat. It wont be perfect but it will hold up pretty well. It will still cost 2k in material.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
View Quote

There are places with some scrapes from before I bought it that are starting to rust.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#33]
$6k is cheap.

Best solid color is to layer first coat single stage, second coat 50/50 single stage/clear coat, then a full coat of clear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:
View Quote

I was painting cars for a living back then. All the cheap fuckers would look at me like I grew horns when I told them a grand for a paint job.  If I recall, basic materials for a repaint were $300-$375 back then.
When I did my ‘66 Mustang about 10 years ago it was 10X the cost.  
Paint has gotten ridiculously expensive and along with the EPA regulations and the insurance industry it’s very hard to find shops these days that will do all overs.  

OP needs a wrap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#35]
OP,

If it's a beater, you can shoot it with single stage. It will likely last longer than your truck. I painted an entire bus 2 years ago for 1200 bucks. It sits outside and looks exactly like the day I painted it.

I used TCP global paint and it sprayed pretty nice.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#36]
either u accept it how it is, or time to learn how to paint my man.
Complete paint jobs have gotten stupid expensive: labor's gone up as well as materials. it is rarely worth it putting that much into a regular vehicle.
Hell, it is rarely worth it to wrap a vehicle, fuckers be thinking they better than painters and shit and try to charge you just as much
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

Don't slag single stage too much. That's the staple of my industry. The good stuff will last 20-30 years easy.

View Quote
What brand ? Serious question. We get old guys that insist on single stage with their classics but PPG won't warranty it.  It would give me peace of mind if I used paint I was sure would last in the elements in that scenario.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

Errrr he doesn't know that single stage urethanes are just as tough as urethane clear coats.  Maybe single stage to him means lacquer?
View Quote
Single stage urethanes are not warrantied by PPG. Here in AZ they oxidize and fade within five years and typically look like shit.  Good clear coats are warrantied by all the paint manufacturers. Unless there's something I'm missing.......
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#39]
AkzoNobel U-Tech SS is a pretty good one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#40]
6k is fairly cheap.  

I painted my CJ7 myself.  I used Kirker paint, cheap single stage and I also cleared over it.  It is a beater and first attempt at painting.  It is a lot more work than you think.  I didn't do any body work either.  Just sand some surface rust spots.  The actual painting was a day and a half.  Part of one day taping and cleaning.  Then painting all day the next.  

I would not go with single stage for a vehicle again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:08:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#41]
Mah truck needs painting and I are ig'nant of paint things.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177088/0C6B7B40-2A5E-4AE8-89BE-032149BA1FC1_jpe-3172501.JPG

I don't plan to get rid of the truck but I can't put $6k into paint.

Yeah, and no rattle can.

Thoughts?

View Quote
$6K is pretty cheap for a crew cab dually.  A good paint shop will remove the bed and glass to spray that.  Don't laugh at Maaco, they did a 70 Blazer for me and it was a damn nice job.  

As far as clear, there are several grades.  A good shop will ask you how long you intend to own the vehicle when picking the quality of top coat.

Yes, single stage with reducer and hardener is good, I have used these products several times.  I prefer PPG, and they have several different paint product lines.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Agree with the rest that 6k seems like a good deal for drop off and pick up.  Like most things, there is way more involved than initially expected.

Also, anyone saying "just wrap it" has never dealt with wraps - you can't wrap crappy paint, it's not a cover-up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#43]

There are places with some scrapes from before I bought it that are starting to rust.
View Quote

Is it absolutely only surface rust?

Treat the rust and get a wrap.

6k is cheap for paint. If you are happy with a 10’ paint job, get a scuff and shoot but don’t complain about trim edges etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#44]
6K is dirt cheap, would be suspicious of quality at that price though since materials alone will be half that.  Too much money for an old truck though, if you get any rust just hit it with primer to keep the body in good mechanical shape.  

Or just do what all the billionaires on here do and trade it in for a new one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By texasaggie:
6K is dirt cheap, would be suspicious of quality at that price though since materials alone will be half that.  Too much money for an old truck though, if you get any rust just hit it with primer to keep the body in good mechanical shape.  

Or just do what all the billionaires on here do and trade it in for a new one.
View Quote
My old one needed an oil change.............

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#46]
Single stage, my fuckers, this PPG product has a duller/flat additive:

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Single stage urethanes are not warrantied by PPG. Here in AZ they oxidize and fade within five years and typically look like shit.  Good clear coats are warrantied by all the paint manufacturers. Unless there's something I'm missing.......
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

I use PPG in my shop and have never had the local rep say anything about not warrantying their single stage urethane, but having said that, when I called a couple weeks ago I was informed that they no longer provide formulas for single stage in their high end line.  Only way to get single stage urethane from them now is in Shop Line, so that might have something to do with it.  Interestingly enough, I was at the local Sherwin Williams jobber picking up some primer the other day and asked about their single stage options.  Same thing with them, they'll only mix single stage urethanes in their value line now.

All the other aside, I'd be surprised if the OP could get the materials to properly paint his truck for $4000 to $5000 these days, unless he goes with some value line stuff from Tractor Supply or the likes.  Material cost has gotten absolutely insane in the past few years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

I was painting cars for a living back then. All the cheap fuckers would look at me like I grew horns when I told them a grand for a paint job.  If I recall, basic materials for a repaint were $300-$375 back then.
Paint has gotten ridiculously expensive and along with the EPA regulations and the insurance industry it’s very hard to find shops these days that will do all overs.  

OP needs a wrap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Originally Posted By wagonwheel1:

OP needs a wrap.

In 1979 I paid $900 for this car when it was green, then $300 for this paint.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:

In 1979 I paid $900 for this car when it was green, then $300 for this paint.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413906/69-roadrunner-1463107.jpg
View Quote

The Duke Boys want their wheels back lol.
Nice 69!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah $6 is good.

This cost $23k, though it did need some metal repair in a few spots.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top