Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2024 10:46:02 PM EDT
Semi or full auto?  

Sure, there are legislative definitions.  What is the historical definition - if it even matters.

Well it probably does matter because the gun grabbers want everything to sound as ominous as possible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Select fire, intermediate cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Enough Nonsense; What is an "Assault Rifle"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:
Semi or full auto?  

Sure, there are legislative definitions.  What is the historical definition - if it even matters.

Well it probably does matter because the gun grabbers want everything to sound as ominous as possible.
View Quote

Anything the Dems don’t like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds scary . It can mean whatever they want it to mean .  I would suppose any weapon is an assault weapon in the hands of an assaulter.

In the United States, assault weapon is a controversial term applied to different kinds of firearms.[1] There is no clear, consistent definition. It can include semi-automatic firearms with a detachable magazine, a pistol grip, and sometimes other features, such as a vertical forward grip, flash suppressor, or barrel shroud.[1][2] Certain firearms are specified by name in some laws that restrict assault weapons.[3] When the now-defunct Federal Assault Weapons Ban was passed in 1994, the U.S. Department of Justice said, "In general, assault weapons are semiautomatic firearms with a large magazine of ammunition that were designed and configured for rapid fire and combat use."[3] The commonly used definitions of assault weapons are under frequent debate, and have changed over time.[1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawless_Flogic] [#6]
"Assault Rifle" has a mostly agreed upon definition. "Assault Weapon" is a legislative artifice used as a tool of infringement.

ETA: this is the mostly agreed upon definition:

Originally Posted By Frank762:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
They have the shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

This is the technically correct answer. A weapon that fires an intermediate cartridge that can be fired semiautomatic or full automatic/ burst.

No shoulder thingy that goes up required!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dropc] [#9]
Probably I'm misinformed. I thought "assault rifle" is select fire, and "assault weapon" has no real definition and is currently left up to states to designate, as mentioned above: more than one of some list of "evil features".

edit: beat by Lawless
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Soybomb:
They have the shoulder thing that goes up.
View Quote

SOURCE: 6-feet under
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just to be clear, "assault rifle" is also presumably covered by 2A via Miller, Caetano, Heller, and Bruen.

Suitable for militia use, in common use, bearable arm usable for lawful purposes, and in line with both the text and the history and tradition of 2A jurisprudence.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The term "assault weapon" is obviously an artificial, nonsensical term fabricated for political purposes. Similar to something like "water fish" or "sky cloud" - any weapon, by definition, has the capability for assault.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

This.  You can squeeze select fire in, even with a weapon that is burst fire, not much if anything else.  It comes from the German sturmgewehr, storm rifle literally, translated as assault rifle, because it’s a rifle for storming, or assaulting a position.  That rifle was chambered in an intermediate power cartridge, and could fire in semi automatic or fully automatic modes.  The M1 Carbine, while not originally full auto (the m2 is select fire I think) was also a weapon chambered in an intermediate power cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Select fire/full auto, but I think that's the definition of an assault rifle. I thought assault weapon was a relatively new/made-up term, rather than historic. I never researched it though, so I could be wrong.
View Quote

It is a new/made up term, with an ever shifting and inconsistent definition.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Assault rifle is a select fire intermediate cartridge rifle.

Assault weapon is a political term for black and scary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inneedofhelp:
Select fire/full auto, but I think that's the definition of an assault rifle. I thought assault weapon was a relatively new/made-up term, rather than historic. I never researched it though, so I could be wrong.

People who has researched the phrase, and derivatives, says "assault weapon" was coined by the gun media in the early 80s to describe tec9s and the like.  "Assault rifle" came in the mid to late 80s to describe select fire intermediate cartridge rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Semi or full auto?  

View Quote

Full auto.

5.56 or above ( even though 5.56 is fairly small)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#19]
The US Army defines "assault rifle" as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges." (From Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide - Eurasian Communist Countries, ST-HB-07-03-74, dated 1973, page 105.)

"Assault weapon" is another matter. Best I can tell is that it was coined by gun magazines (the kind you read) in the early 1980s, and anti-gun groups quickly adopted the term to further their own goals.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
No such thing

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
People who has researched the phrase, and derivatives, says "assault weapon" was coined by the gun media in the early 80s to describe tec9s and the like.  "Assault rifle" came in the mid to late 80s to describe select fire intermediate cartridge rifles.
View Quote

Agree with your summary of "assault weapon." But "assault rifle" appeared much earlier (see my post above). The earliest usage was by the Germans: sturmgewehr, meaning "storm (i.e. assault) rifle."

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Semi or full auto?  

View Quote

All modern weapons.  That's what they mean.
And when they ban those, of course they will ban what little remains.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#25]
An assault weapon is a single person use weapon of intermediate caliber, capable of selective fire.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:13:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
An assault weapon is a single person use weapon of intermediate caliber, capable of selective fire.  
View Quote
Wrong. That's almost the definition of an Assault Rifle, from the german term Sturm Gehwehr (sp?). A rifle of intermediate caliber (or more correctly, power), that capable of select fire (fully auto fire and semi auto fire).  Typical hunting rifles are 2-3 times more powerful on a round by round basis.

Assault Weapon, is any specific item used to commit an assault. Like Murder weapon is the specific item used to commit a murder.

Specifics matter. Always correct someone getting the terms wrong.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Is it offensive, defensive, or both and is it bearable?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Assault rifle = select fire intermediate caliber rifle.

Assault weapon = recoilless rifle, rocket launcher, or other anti bunker/fortified position weapon.

Mk 153 Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon:

Machine gun = weapon designed for sustained fully automatic fire. Typically belt fed.

US legal law makes up different terms.

Machine gun = any full auto/burst weapon.

Assault weapon = semi auto weapons of various type, varies greatly depending on the law. Includes everything from pump action shotguns, semi auto rifles, pistol caliber carbines, pistols, semi auto shotguns, and bolt actions of certain calibers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Serenity7:
Is it offensive, defensive, or both and is it bearable?  
View Quote

If it is anywhere similar to most of the posts here it is un-bearable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#31]
View Quote

They've never cared about the intermediate cartridge - but they usually have an exception out for rimfire.

An "assault weapon" has pretty much ALWAYS been a centerfire semiautomatic weapon with some arbitrary minimum number of "scary features"; the number of which is inversely proportional to the retardation of the people passing the legislation and/or directly proportional to how many suits Wayne LaPierre had left.

removable magazines
capacity greater than 10
pistol grip
threaded muzzle
muzzle device
Heat Shields
handguard or barrel shroud
secondary weak-hand grips
shoulder things that go up
Adjustable stocks

An "Assault Rifle" is legally defined as a select fire intermediate caliber rifle.  Oddly enough, assault rifles are never classified as "assault weapons" because assault weapons are universally classified as semiautomatic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#33]
aw is a made up political term, and they change what they call them and whats included all the time.

their goal is no civilian guns, and any path to get there.  give them nothing
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Its only an assault weapon if it assaults someone.  Otherwise it's an intimate object just like a paperweight or a tool.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:
Assault rifle = select fire intermediate caliber rifle.

Assault weapon = recoilless rifle, rocket launcher, or other anti bunker/fortified position weapon.

Mk 153 Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Rockets%2C_bombs%2C_armor%2C_8th_ESB_trains_with_2nd_Tracks_130729-M-DS159-121.jpg

Machine gun = weapon designed for sustained fully automatic fire. Typically belt fed.

US legal law makes up different terms.

Machine gun = any full auto/burst weapon.

Assault weapon = semi auto weapons of various type, varies greatly depending on the law. Includes everything from pump action shotguns, semi auto rifles, pistol caliber carbines, pistols, semi auto shotguns, and bolt actions of certain calibers.

View Quote

No, the SMAW is not an assault weapon, it is a rocket launcher.

There is a lot wrong with this post.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#37]
This is just what the left wants - conflate the meaning of "assault rifle" (a credible, technical definition of a real thing) with the BS term "assault weapon" (something they made up and can define as they want). They need this to work so the BS term they made up can become a credible term in the minds of Americans.

Good work guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Oh jeez.

Most of these responses are and are indicative of a lack of understanding.  Please google John Lott and spend the next day reading.  

OP, “assault weapon” is a purely political term with no real definition.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#39]
If I use my truck to kill someone, it's still a truck.
If I use my knife to kill someone, it's still a knife.
If I use my hands to kill someone, they're still hands.
If I use my pen/pencil to kill someone, it's still a pen/pencil.
If I use my water bottle to kill someone, it's still a water bottle.
If I use my keyboard to kill someone, it's still a keyboard.

But if I use my pistol to kill someone, it suddenly becomes an assault weapon.

In my opinion, an assault weapon is ANYTHING that is used to assault and/or kill someone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:56:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#40]
If it has a quad rail. And black.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Not this shit again...UGH.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#43]

*inanimate
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goodn:
...an *intimate object just like a paperweight or a tool.

*inanimate

Yeah.. whatever Francis!  You get the idea.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#45]
This is relevant - remember Judge Benitez?

CA AWB 19oct23
Judge Benitez

The plaintiffs successfully argued that California's use of the term 'assault weapons' was 'a politically-concocted pejorative term designed to suggest that there is an inherently unlawful or illegitimate basis for owning otherwise common firearms protected by the Second Amendment.'
They added that California banned guns which should have been lawful to own by designating them assault weapons using faulty rationales, such as a rifle's ammunition capacity.
Arguing the case before Friday's ruling, the plaintiffs' ruler George M Lee said: 'The government cannot ban the constitutionally-protected firearms at issue in this case.

more from the judge;

The State’s attempt to ban these popular firearms creates the extreme policy that a handful of criminals can dictate the conduct and infringe on the freedom of law-abiding citizens. As Heller explains, the Second Amendment takes certain policy choices and removes them beyond the realm of permissible state action. California’s answer to the criminal misuse of a few is to disarm its many good residents. That knee-jerk reaction is constitutionally untenable, just as it was 250 years ago.245 The Second Amendment stands as a shield from government imposition of that policy.  There is only one policy enshrined in the Bill of Rights. Guns and ammunition in the hands of criminals, tyrants and terrorists are dangerous; guns in the hands of lawabiding responsible citizens are necessary. To give full life to the core right of selfdefense, every law-abiding responsible individual citizen has a constitutionally protected right to keep and bear firearms commonly owned and kept for lawful purposes....

Judgment is entered for Plaintiffs. The Attorney General respectfully requests a stay of any judgment in Plaintiffs’ favor for a sufficient period to seek a stay from the Court of Appeals.  That request is granted.  Therefore, the enforcement of the injunction is hereby stayed for ten (10) days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Intimate sounded too kinky.  
View Quote

LOL.  

I blame autocorrect.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#48]
No such thing.

H
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#49]
An “assault rifle” is a full auto or select fire rifle, chambered for an intermediately sized, centerfire rifle cartridge, and fed from a detachable magazine.

An “assault weapon” is any firearm that leftist dolts dislike and want to see outlawed. The term was created by leftist dolts to confuse and mislead the general public into believing that certain semiautomatic firearms are cheap and readily available machine guns, designed and used for war and crime, and having no legitimate purpose in private ownership.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Semi or full auto?  

That made me smile. My cheeks hurt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top