Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:44 PM EDT

https://www.twz.com/air/four-army-ah-64-apaches-have-now-crashed-in-just-two-months
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say it's warranted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d16man:
I'm sure a DEI mechanic will get right on that.
View Quote

I'll talk to my buddy. He falls into that category.

(he's a conservative dude from Pakistan, was US Infantry in Iraq and now a NG helicopter mechanic)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
I'd say it's warranted.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
I'd say it's warranted.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif

I totally missed that.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sucks, lost a good friend to a training accident years ago, killed himself and his copilot under NVG's.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they should ground the pilots?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cda97:
Sucks, lost a good friend to a training accident years ago, killed himself and his copilot under NVG's.
View Quote

When I left active duty, I looked at reserve Army aviation since the Marines brought that J model on quick and I was getting mothballed.

At the time, the Army was bending a lot of metal (late 90's)... I went to two squadrons. I didn't want to go to war with what I saw there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Figured this would happen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:
Figured this would happen.
View Quote

Is there any reason you can think of that's causing it? Apaches are awesome and saved my bacon more than once.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

When I left active duty, I looked at reserve Army aviation since the Marines brought that J model on quick and I was getting mothballed.

At the time, the Army was bending a lot of metal (late 90's)... I went to two squadrons. I didn't want to go to war with what I saw there.
View All Quotes

In my opinion you made a good call.  I ETS'd in 1995 and thought I would try the Illinois Army Reserves and then the National Guard.  They were a fucking soup sandwich, nobody gave a shit, uniforms looked like shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]

In my opinion you made a good call.  I ETS'd in 1995 and thought I would try the Illinois Army Reserves and then the National Guard.  They were a fucking soup sandwich, nobody gave a shit, uniforms looked like shit.
View Quote

My buddy says the same about his NG Shit-hook maintenance group.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Army aviation needs to bring in some USAF people to straighten up their training programs.

The USAF is like a bible cult level focus on the details
Navy is middle of the road
Army Aviation is as disorganized as dogs*it

I fly with all 3 and you can tell who is who in under a minute.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

View All Quotes

Its sad, people were there for the  college money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The article doesn't offer much explanation except that there have been problems in the past with the generators putting smoke into the cockpit and that the one Apache that crashed had an Air Force pilot flying it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cda97:  Sucks, lost a good friend to a training accident years ago, killed himself and his copilot under NVG's.

But they did, for 20 years.  Only time I went to sea was on a National Guard 60 in the Persian Gulf.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#19]

Is there any reason you can think of that's causing it? Apaches are awesome and saved my bacon more than once.
View Quote

Blackhawk guy, so I’m sure Apache guys are gonna have better insight. The Apache mishap rate is much higher than other Army airframes.

Some of it is training, some of it is design, some of it’s the complexity of the systems that need to be managed. Some of it is training with regards to design characteristics. Some of it is the change from the primary training helicopter from the TH-67 to the LUH.

There have been a lot of class A mishaps across the board this year in Army Aviation. It’s not a coincidence Army Aviation as a whole went from being very seasoned to very inexperienced in a very short amount of time recently.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Blackhawk guy, so I’m sure Apache guys are gonna have better insight. The Apache mishap rate is much higher than other Army airframes.

Some of it is training, some of it is design, some of it’s the complexity of the systems that need to be managed. Some of it is training with regards to design characteristics. Some of it is the change from the primary training helicopter from the TH-67 to the LUH.

There have been a lot of class A mishaps across the board this year in Army Aviation. It’s not a coincidence Army Aviation as a whole went from being very seasoned to very inexperienced in a very short amount of time.
View Quote

That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Well luckily that was 30 years ago and has nothing to do with anything
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I can only speculate, and the details are extremely scarce, but my guess is some loss of tail rotor effectiveness, which seems to be the new thing as of late.

Could’ve been just a rash of bad luck or poor crew mix. Who knows.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

From the guy that just came to my unit from the Marines, it sounds like things are quite the opposite from where things were 30 years ago.

Like anything things are very unit dependent. Army Aviation as a whole is struggling with the experience gap right now, but so is every branch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#24]

I can only speculate, and the details are extremely scarce, but my guess is some loss of tail rotor effectiveness, which seems to be the new thing as of late.

View Quote

That's fair. My chopper mechanic friend has explained to me how crazy everything is routed in the powertrains to the rotors on the rotary stuff he works on so I could see that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AWHAILYEAH] [#25]
We just lost one with two very experienced pilots 3 weeks ago.............................

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AWHAILYEAH:
We just lost one with two very experienced pilots 3 weeks ago.............................

https://i.imgur.com/T4Q7GgL.png
View Quote

That's terrible. I hope they fix whatever the hell is going on with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#27]

https://i.imgur.com/JQFT0Y3.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:23:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DASJUDEN] [#28]

View Quote

Without going into too many details for obvious reasons.

Mississippi AH64 Class A crash with 2 fatalities - Pilot error. Blatant fucking pilot error bordering on intentionally suicidal considering the pilots absolutely fucking knew better.

The LUH crash down on the border I've got no clue.

JBLM AH64 Class A with minor injuries - Tail rotor issue, possibly LTE, possibly they hit a tree with the tail rotor. investigation still underway.

Carson AH64 Class A with minor injuries - LTE suspected. Aircraft was in 3 pieces.

LTE is an issue especially in the E model. They gave us a bigger main rotor but kept the tail rotor the same size. I have no clue why anybody couldn't see this coming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

We were grounded for a week after that. Still have no idea what happened.

I’m really not sure what the fix is, as my perspective is probably a bit different from active duty, but I know the Army is doing a piss poor job of trying to retain experience, instead opting to keep the new pilots longer. We’re also transitioning from COIN to LSCO tactics and techniques, the later being more inherently dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billytehbob] [#30]
Originally Posted By DASJUDEN:

Alabama AH64 Class A crash with 2 fatalities - Pilot error. Blatant fucking pilot error bordering on intentionally suicidal considering the pilots absolutely fucking knew better.

JBLM AH64 Class A with minor injuries - Tail rotor issue, possibly LTE, possibly they hit a tree with the tail rotor. investigation still underway.

Carson AH64 Class A with minor injuries - LTE suspected. Aircraft was in 3 pieces.

LTE is an issue especially in the E model. They gave us a bigger main rotor but kept the tail rotor the same size. I have no clue why anybody couldn't see this coming.
View Quote

I’ve heard the 72 was LTE as well.

I was talking about these crashes this morning in Flt ops, I’d be surprised somewhat if we’re not grounded for a minute with all this LTE shit going on, though I think we don’t have an issue with it in SC. Being we’re much closer to sea level, rarely do we ever have high winds and flyable weather, and we generally have 30ish% power margin when we first take off. I may mitigate shit like terrain flight by flying it towards the end of the flight now for the extra envelope of power.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been out and was never Air Crew but I'll be damned I thought the Apache and the Hawk were stout Airframes able to withstand a hard landing/crash?  Damn shame some of our best in what we consider the best equipment being lost.  No word as to why yet around here either but 7 of them flew into Starkville three days ago I assume headed to Jackson or some backwoods airfield for inspection/maintenance??
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]

I was talking about these crashes this morning in Flt ops, I’d be surprised somewhat if we’re not grounded for a minute with all this LTE shit going on, though I think we don’t have an issue with it in SC. Being we’re much closer to sea level, rarely do we ever have high winds and flyable weather, and we generally have 30ish% power margin when we first take off. I may mitigate shit like terrain flight by flying it towards the end of the flight now for the extra envelope of power.
View All Quotes

Alabama AH64 Class A crash with 2 fatalities - Pilot error. Blatant fucking pilot error bordering on intentionally suicidal considering the pilots absolutely fucking knew better.

Explain LTE?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Mississippi AH64 Class A crash with 2 fatalities - Pilot error. Blatant fucking pilot error bordering on intentionally suicidal considering the pilots absolutely fucking knew better.

View Quote

Especially with the move from training in TH67’s where LTE got hammered into our heads whether we liked it or not and the LUH where I get new pilots who have never even heard of LTE.

That’s what I suspected with Mississippi. Fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#34]

I was talking about these crashes this morning in Flt ops, I’d be surprised somewhat if we’re not grounded for a minute with all this LTE shit going on, though I think we don’t have an issue with it in SC being much closer to sea level, rarely do we ever have high winds and flyable weather, and we generally have 30ish% power margin when we first take off. I may mitigate shit like terrain flight towards the end of the flight now for the extra envelope of power.
View Quote

Don't get complacent about it just because you're at sea level. Get the right crosswind and it'll occur. While I was attending IPC I had to take the controls from the SP I was riding with that day because we got LTE on short final going into Hanchey. Flying in Kansas (40kt+ winds are fairly common here) does have its occassional benefits.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Those of you aviation guys explain LTE??  Dafuq is it and why did it get implemented?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Especially with the move from training in TH67’s where LTE got hammered into our heads whether we liked it or not and the LUH where I get new pilots who have never even heard of LTE.

That’s what I suspected with Mississippi. Fucking terrible.
View Quote

Don't get me started on LUH vs TH67's. You can probably guess how long that "old man yells at clouds" rant will be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

@cda97
Southern IL by any chance? Asking because my brother was in a reserve unit at SAFB around that timeframe. The powers that's be gave their helos to some other unit and closed down the unit. I don't remember how long the gap was, but he eventually transfered to an NG unit
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Those of you aviation guys explain LTE??  Dafuq is it and why did it get implemented?
View Quote

LTE is loss of tailrotor effectiveness. In stupid simple terms, if you get the right winds going through your tailrotor the wrong way it'll counteract the anti-torque effect from the tailrotor. Basically the helicopter starts to go into a damn near uncontrollable spin that if you don't catch it quick will generally result in a crash.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]

LTE is loss of tailrotor effectiveness. In stupid simple terms, if you get the right winds going through your tailrotor the wrong way it'll counteract the anti-torque effect from the tailrotor. Basically the helicopter starts to go into a damn near uncontrollable spin that if you don't catch it quick will generally result in a crash.
View Quote

Damn!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Don't get complacent about it just because you're at sea level. Get the right crosswind and it'll occur. While I was attending IPC I had to take the controls from the SP I was riding with that day because we got LTE on short final going into Hanchey. Flying in Kansas (40kt+ winds are fairly common here) does have its occassional benefits.
View Quote

It’s definitely in my head lately, but the only time I’ve run out of pedal was some flight control issue a few months out of progression in the D-model.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Storm6436:

@cda97
Southern IL by any chance? Asking because my brother was in a reserve unit at SAFB around that timeframe. The powers that's be gave their helos to some other unit and closed down the unit. I don't remember how long the gap was, but he eventually transfered to an NG unit
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Storm6436:

@cda97

Nope, Reserve unit was out of Sugar Grove west of Chicago, the NG unit was at Midway airport but their sister unit was in central/mid Illinois.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#42]
At one point there were problems with the main rotor strap pack laminations. Interior ones would fail unseen until the crash investigation.

However it would appear the NG has broader problems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By merick:
At one point there were problems with the main rotor strap pack laminations. Interior ones would fail unseen until the crash investigation.

View Quote

It ain't just the guard that has problems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

The NG is just being abundantly cautious. Theres nothing different between guard and active Echo models Apaches.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]

The NG is just being abundantly cautious. Theres nothing different between guard and active Echo models Apaches.
View All Quotes

Well one thing is different; the NG models are grounded, and that's really the only thing we know for certain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#46]

I totally missed that.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/planet-of-the-apes-charlton-heston-992.gif
View Quote

My first Warrant was a Legend of a CW5 in Korea who single-handedly ruined a company's worth of Joe's for the rest of the Army. There's nothing like watching a BDE CDR wilt when a Jedi tells him his Soldiers don't have time for stupid shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
When Hurricane Fran was bearing down on Ft Bragg in 1996 we evacuated everything that could fly to Ft Campbell.  We had Apaches in fields all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Well one thing is different; the NG models are grounded, and that's really the only thing we know for certain.
View Quote

As of right now, we’re not. I read through the article, it only mentions the Guard grounding 64s back in February, which lasted about a week for us.

Still ops normal as of now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Zemek was a shooter. He may have been on here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top