Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:25:28 PM EDT
They are on par price wise with Vortex, at least the one I am looking at, but I don’t like the Vortex Reticles anymore.  Or the lack of illuminated reticles.

I love the EBR 2C reticle, but it’s not available anymore…

Looking at the Athlon Optics Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56mm APRS1 Rifle Scope, Color: Black, Tan, Tube Diameter: 34 mm.

Anyone have any input?

This will go on to a Loaded M1A in a Bassett mount with Vortex rings
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, I'd like to tag along as I too have an Athlon 5-25 that I would like to hear others' thoughts on the brand as well before I mount it on a 700 with a 26" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They have very good reviews.

I've looked through them, but never used one. Seemed clear and bright in the gun shop... for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:32:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#3]
I have that exact scope on 2 rifles (one black and one brown).  I liked the first one enough to get another.  Only Vortex I can compare it to is a 4-16x PST Gen 1 (~$800 when I got it).  I like both...can't say I think either is better than the other, but I had the Vortex first and the last two I have bought have been the Athlons.

Here are the Pros that I see in it:
-The reticle is very nice (same one you are looking at)
-Very tactile and audible turret adjustments
-Turrets so far have been very repeatable/consistent
-Lots of elevation adjustment with the 34mm tube
-Great Zero-Stop
-Pull out / Lockable Windage Turret
-Good clarity
-Illumination is good...even down to NV levels.  I actually tagged a hog after dark during deer season last year looking through it with a PVS14 and an illuminator on the rifle with the scope set on 4x.  Not optimal by any means, but it worked.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the 2-12x42 from them on an old AR build of mine. I really liked it for the price. Friend of mine has two, one on a 270 and one on a 300 WM. 270 one has held up, but the 300 one has had some issues with the parallax. Not sure why.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The service rifle scope is a POS
I has 3 warrantee replacements

Last one I sold new in box
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Like vortex they are made under contract in china. Vortex has a massive marketing machine and great warranty but anything under the Razor line is chinese. If you're set on chicom stuff Hawke is another option. They are British made in China and have a huge following in the air gun market and it killing it in the shotgun/turkey world. They have some nice stuff, but still made by commies. Chinese glass has levels and Athlon seems ok.

You're likely to be better served with slightly more expensive and vastly superior glass and coatings from the Philippines made by Sig, Burris, or Crimson Trace. Rumor has it they are using the factory that was making Nikon. Having looked and compared I'd agree.

Ymmv.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Ares BTR 4.5-27. It’s a really nice scope for the money. The only gripe
I have is that the adjustment clicks aren’t that tactile like the Vortex I have.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Arken is another chicom budget scope to look at.

A buddy has a couple and raves about them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked at them a couple months ago for a 10/22 build. They seemed okay. Ended up going with a Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30×56. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FLchuck8:
Like vortex they are made under contract in china. Vortex has a massive marketing machine and great warranty but anything under the Razor line is chinese. If you're set on chicom stuff Hawke is another option. They are British made in China and have a huge following in the air gun market and it killing it in the shotgun/turkey world. They have some nice stuff, but still made by commies. Chinese glass has levels and Athlon seems ok.

You're likely to be better served with slightly more expensive and vastly superior glass and coatings from the Philippines made by Sig, Burris, or Crimson Trace. Rumor has it they are using the factory that was making Nikon. Having looked and compared I'd agree.

Ymmv.

View Quote

You are only partially right.

Many of their scopes are made in China, but quite a few are made in the Philippines and Japan.
Where are Vortex Scopes made?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have nearly exactly the scope you describe and I really prefer the “basic tree” recticles.  Enough but not overwhelming.

The 34mm area 4.5-30 scope is BIG. And long you may need a very long cantilever.  On my 22lr precision gun it looks like the Hubble space telescope.

Stick with ares etr for excellent glass and the best turrets (tactile and easy to set a zero stop, and locking windage).

You can also save a few clams and get Midas tac with no illum and slightly less quality glass. They are also smaller and lighter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 6-24x50 Athlon Midas Tac on my .22lr.

I like it quite a bit better than my Vortex Viper 6-24x50 on my .308

The glass is clearer to me, and the parralax seems better.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Midas Tac 4-16 FFP on my CZ 457 MTR 22lr in a pair of Vortex Precision Match rings. I really like the scope. The turrets are extremely tactial and I love the zero stop. As far as image quality goes, it's probably the nicest quality glass I've ever seen that wasn't Japanese
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Midas Tac 6-24 on my Bergara HMR 6.5.  I'd put it up against my Vortex PST on my 6.5 Grendel AR.  Might be even clearer.  Never had any issues with either.  Nor my Athlon binos.  Not S&B stuff, but I don't have a "S&B budget" either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used the Talos for many years on PCP airguns and the Helos on several powderburners for subsonic. Been very pleased and no issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been very happy with my Athlon Midas Tac.  It puts the Vortex Diamondback to shame.  I don't really need an illuminated reticle, but that is the biggest feature it is missing.  6.5CM, 308, AR-15...works perfectly on all of them.

I've also been very happy with my Arken SH-4.  Tons of value for the money.  Perfect for my bolt action 22lr's.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Talos 4-14 that I really like the reticle etc. On that note I recently purchased an Ares ETR 3-18 after rave reviews for an AR10 project and it was fucked out of the box with what look like bad pixels in the glass that light up with the illumination. We'll see how they're warranty is, apparently they've moved as my scope was forwarded somewhere else.

If you zoom this pic a bit you can see the distortions. They change with the zoom.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two PST GEN II 5-25's, EBR-7 reticles on both. About the only thing I don't like on them is the magnification ring. On one, you have to gorilla grip it to turn. The other is a little better, but not great.  I also have a Razor Gen II 1-6 on the 3gun rifle.

I recently bought one of the Athlon ARES ETR 3-18's and one of the 1-10's. I got the 3-18 for a 22ARC build and the 1-10 for my 3gun rifle. The 1-10 glass is pretty good, but you can definitely tell the difference in low light conditions. The 3-18 seems to be very much on par with the vortex PST, except the magnification ring is firm, not super tight or too loose. Tactile clicks on the elevation and windage are nice and definite.

For the price I got them for, they're hard to beat for a lower/mid end chinese scope
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I got one on clearance from Academy sports a while back it was like 30% off the clearance price so like a $700 scope for like $200ish. It works great on my 308 AR.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Ive got friends who swear by them at first, but over time they have found zero issues and POI changes.

I was looking at one last year and I was told you get what you pay.

Ill stick with better made scopes myself unless its a range only fun rifle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of their expensive scopes and one of their cheap ones.

The more expensive scope is nice.

The cheap scope is cheap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Ymmv.

View Quote

The most popular Vortex scopes are made in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, they have some amazing glass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#25]

Ymmv.

View Quote

I always laugh at this uneducated statement about Vortex scopes. I am not even a huge fan of Vortex. I have one and like it, but i know that not all Vortex are made in China.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I have. Several of them only had one fail and it was on a .375H&H that is very light weight. The company replaced the scope no problem. The M1a is challenging to use a scope on because of the stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3357190306?pid=190306
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Arken is another chicom budget scope to look at.

A buddy has a couple and raves about them.
View Quote

I bought an Arken 6-24 for a 22 AR and I'm satisfied with it for what I paid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I have experience with an Athlon 1-4.5 service rifle optic.  It does fine.  I have no real complaints.  I've also used 1-4 Vortex Viper PST scopes, and really don't have much opinion on one being significantly better than the other. They aren't a March or Nightforce, but they are inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:13:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes. I have a few and all of them are GTG.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
I have. Several of them only had one fail and it was on a .375H&H that is very light weight. The company replaced the scope no problem. The M1a is challenging to use a scope on because of the stock.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3357190306?pid=190306
View Quote

I bought an Archangel stock to go on my M1A with a cheek riser, because I knew my old eyes were going to have problems with iron sights.

It will look like this one, with a scope.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brasscrossedrifles] [#31]
They're alright. For the money they are pretty good. If you can afford Nightforce or Vortex Razor III stuff, get that instead. I do like the reticle in the Ares 1-10 better than the one in the Razor III 1-10, but not better than the FC-DMx in the Nightforce ATACR.

Their customer service is pretty good. I've had two of the 1-10s. The first one had the the elevation turret just completely fall apart in the middle of a match. They sent me the one I have now.

Their warranty does have some cringe though. I want to paint my gun, but it would void the warranty.

Anyway, here's me with my Athlon shooting beyond 1000 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top