Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
And I( finalloy found the official NASA map.  Same data as mine, it's just that NASA has a bigger budget than I do.  It also inclucdes the 2023 annular.

eclipse_map_1920v2 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:

Might want to see how far that spot is from the centerline.  Duration of totality will range from about 4.5 minutes to just a few seconds, depending on how far from the centerline you are.
View Quote

Thanks Fred, did really think about that.  I just entered the GPS into my eclipse tracker app. Here is the result.

unprotected eye observation 3:26 to 3:33pm EST Coverage 100%

44*34'N   71*11'W
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:49:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#3]
Here's an animation (not in real time!!) of the event.

Why won't the gif work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#4]
@Fredman and others.

Here is a google interactive app. It's free  No download needed.

when you start over on the left side is a little yellow man. Just under him you'll see a clock. Click it and it sets the map in time zones. Now zoom in onto the location you will be watching from. Put the cross hair on that spot and click it. A box will pop up giving you the eclipse times, duration of total. height of the sun above the horizon etc. It is a good tool to prepare yourself on what to expect.

Here is the map. Have fun

For some reason it shows my info. So don't click the clock. Just move the cross to your location and click to get your info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#5]
Here is another  one for you . It calculates your shutter speed for given times in the eclipse based on you ISO and F#, etc.  The hard part is when you enter the corona times. Use the inner corona shutter speed and Bracket -2 to +2 . and if your camera is capable -4 to +4. Doing this your will only be using 2 shutter speed settings. The start, the middle corona and the end which would be the same as you started with. You can can catch a lot of the corona phases, The rings, the beads and the main corona.

You need to input Alitude of the sun ( from the other map) your filter type,, ISO, F-stop.

here is the calculator.

have fun
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My parents live about 30mi from the dead center track, so I'm taking the family to their house to see it. Taking the d750 as well. I'm thinking about getting a solar filter to get some partial eclipse shots and then removing it for the total eclipse. Looking at a Nisi Solar Pro Nano UV/IR for $100.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
My parents live about 30mi from the dead center track, so I'm taking the family to their house to see it. Taking the d750 as well. I'm thinking about getting a solar filter to get some partial eclipse shots and then removing it for the total eclipse. Looking at a Nisi Solar Pro Nano UV/IR for $100.
View Quote

Know nothing about them other than Thousand Oaks is the gold standard for filters.

Their most expensive threaded filter (95 mm) is only $79, or you can roll your own with a $22 8.5x11 sheet of film.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Know nothing about them other than Thousand Oaks is the gold standard for filters.

Their most expensive threaded filter (95 mm) is only $79, or you can roll your own with a $22 8.5x11 sheet of film.
View Quote

I've read that the Thousand Oaks filters can give an orange hue and the Nisi filters produce white. I'm sure either can work, but is it better to get orange and try to play with the saturation in Lightroom or get white and add color later?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I've read that the Thousand Oaks filters can give an orange hue and the Nisi filters produce white. I'm sure either can work, but is it better to get orange and try to play with the saturation in Lightroom or get white and add color later?
View Quote

Every picture I take goes through LR, so it’s a non issue for me.

Examples with the TO filters.

Sunspots 2023-01-21 Detail by FredMan, on Flickr

ISS Transit 20200201 Stack_ by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

We're just north of Conway. To get from Cabot to Clinton on the day of the eclipse is going to be a traffic nightmare: Ark. State Police is predicting Hwy 65 to be snarled or a standstill, also I40 east of Russelville.
The Buffalo River area in North Arkansas is booking up at exorbitant prices - many places have been booked for months.
My advice would be to arrive 3 days early to whatever location you're planning to shoot from.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464777/FB_IMG_1708095470185-3131192.jpg
Path of totality plus traffic advisory areas

Just to add: Russellville, Clinton, Marshall, Mountain View, all will have a good view. But to get to any of those from Cabot requires some two-lane mountain road travel.
Places to stay are limited - Marshall has a couple of little non-chain motels for instance. Travel on Hwy 65 is a pain on a normal day, as it is a mix of 2 lane and 4 lane traveled by a lot of heavy trucks.
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but this event is shaping up to be chaotic. The Ark. Emergency Management Agency has already held a practice drill and contingency planning for Police, Fire, Medical and National Guard to deal with the event.
I'm planning on not venturing out anywhere until it's over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

In this area, there are queuing up emergency management, predicting traffic standstills beginning 2 days before in some locations.

What part of AR are you in?
Right now our plans are shifting slightly and we found a room in Cabot AR and are planning on driving to Clinton AR which is almost on the totality line.
Is there any place different that you would recommend to try to set up to see totality?

We're just north of Conway. To get from Cabot to Clinton on the day of the eclipse is going to be a traffic nightmare: Ark. State Police is predicting Hwy 65 to be snarled or a standstill, also I40 east of Russelville.
The Buffalo River area in North Arkansas is booking up at exorbitant prices - many places have been booked for months.
My advice would be to arrive 3 days early to whatever location you're planning to shoot from.

Just to add: Russellville, Clinton, Marshall, Mountain View, all will have a good view. But to get to any of those from Cabot requires some two-lane mountain road travel.
Places to stay are limited - Marshall has a couple of little non-chain motels for instance. Travel on Hwy 65 is a pain on a normal day, as it is a mix of 2 lane and 4 lane traveled by a lot of heavy trucks.
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but this event is shaping up to be chaotic. The Ark. Emergency Management Agency has already held a practice drill and contingency planning for Police, Fire, Medical and National Guard to deal with the event.

We're traveling from Magazine to Mountain View on the 7th then flying out of Little Rock on the 9th.  Any travel advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By flcracker:

We're traveling from Magazine to Mountain View on the 7th then flying out of Little Rock on the 9th.  Any travel advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

In this area, there are queuing up emergency management, predicting traffic standstills beginning 2 days before in some locations.

What part of AR are you in?
Right now our plans are shifting slightly and we found a room in Cabot AR and are planning on driving to Clinton AR which is almost on the totality line.
Is there any place different that you would recommend to try to set up to see totality?

Magazine, Arkansas?
Mountain View is a great little town with old stone buildings around the town square. Unfortunately, getting there is considered a "scenic route" which is Arkansas for narrow and winding road. Making even 55mph on those roads can be difficult. And remote. Can get there either by coming in off US65 at Leslie, or from the east US67 (Searcy, Cabot, Newport, Batesville, etc.).
Take your time, enjoy the views... it's a surreal beauty in those hills. I think you'll enjoy Mountain View and want to extend your stay. I know I would. I nearly bought a house there, but bought in Leslie instead (sold and moved on partly for health reasons. Both Mountain View and Lesley have decent bargains in real estate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost ready.

Got my mount working really well.

Here is the setup.

un

If you look close at the sun in the camera's monitor you can see a thin red lined box on the left side.. That was dead center in the sun two hours ago. So the tracker is doing a very good job.

I'm shooting from inside the house through the trees in the front yard. Also it was partly cloudy today so the sun was going in and out.

EBR
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to some neat pics from alla y'all in, or headed for, full totality.  I was taking pics in '17... my 'lessons learned' from that were to make a few dry runs before the actual event so you know you've got everything you need (filters and whatnot) and it's where you expect it to be, and try to take a minute to step away from the gear and just appreciate the moment.  It would be easy to get so wrapped up in the tech that while, yeah, you've got some really cool pictures of it, you didn't really get to experience an eclipse yourself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]

That guy really like 1/1000

He’s probably gearing it towards folks without a solar filter, but with an ND filter.

But this made me go

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:01:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#16]
Here’s my go-to EXIF using TO filters.

For totality you’re on your own.

Oh, I also recommend shooting from a tripod with a remote shutter, turning off VR, mirror up shooting, and electronic front curtain.

Trigger the mirror up with your remote, give it a few moments to settle, then fire the shutter with another remote press. The goal is to remove as much vibration as possible from your tripod setup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#17]

What's your issue with that statement?

You get sharper images at lower aperture settings and f/8-f/11 are pretty standard settings to capture as much of the detail on the corona, sun flares, and beads etc...
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#18]
Dupe
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Needs work.   I think my focus may be off.   Anyone have any better methods than manually focusing on the edge of the sun?

20240403_SolarTest by Carl Peters, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
Needs work.   I think my focus may be off.   Anyone have any better methods than manually focusing on the edge of the sun?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53630246310_00acec09e7_o.jpg20240403_SolarTest by Carl Peters, on Flickr
View Quote

Only think I can think of is to get a larger external monitor to check focus with.

The sun is just  a big bright orb, there's not much to focus on there. What's your aperture setting?

I just picked up my RF 100-500 lens today and have my filter sheets. I need to make up a filter to test out and get some test shots the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

Only think I can think of is to get a larger external monitor to check focus with.

The sun is just  a big bright orb, there's not much to focus on there. What's your aperture setting?

I just picked up my RF 100-500 lens today and have my filter sheets. I need to make up a filter to test out and get some test shots the next couple of days.
View Quote

This with the 2xTC.   I also bracketed in 2 stop increments for 5 photos and then did an HDR composite.
ƒ/13.0  
1200.0 mm
1/1600
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I'm debating whether to go flying and experience it from the air or not.
View Quote
I wondered about flying along the center of the path of totality to make it last.   Then I did the math and found out I'd have to do over 1000 mph to keep up with it.  We're really spinning along at quite a clip here in space.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought about taking pictures, but
1.   Why waste the precious moments of experiencing it dicking around with a camera?
2.   There will no doubt be many available professionally done photographs of it available afterward.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#24]
deleted
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I wondered about flying along the center of the path of totality to make it last.   Then I did the math and found out I'd have to do over 1000 mph to keep up with it.  We're really spinning along at quite a clip here in space.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rodent:
I'm debating whether to go flying and experience it from the air or not.

This video just showed up on my feed, which I thought was pretty cool.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm off to a real shaky start for the eclipse thing.  Didn't focus stack.  More than half the time, the moon was out of focus, and didn't think to try to get Saturn in focus (it's not in this frame, but it is in others, and I think it's something I could have gotten sharper, as it was higher above the smoke haze)

...oh, well.  Time to hop in the truck and take this show on the road.  Hopefully, with better results.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought about taking pictures, but
1.   Why waste the precious moments of experiencing it dicking around with a camera?
2.   There will no doubt be many available professionally done photographs of it available afterward.
View Quote

Why not try to get one that you took? Take a chance to hang something on the wall that you shot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a place to camp and a great foreground object.  Anyone can have a majestic oak tree or something.  But, a Super Deluxe seems different.

24mm does get the sun in the frame, 20mm has more margin, though.

I'll probably do an infinity focus for totality, and then a foreground focus afterwards, and maybe in the late afternoon or evening.

My primary camera will host an 80-400, within arms reach of the wide angle setup.  I doubt the goats can work the B-camera, so I'll set some exposures tonight, and just go with that.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#29]
Here's a couple of quick test shots I did with my Canon EOS R6 mkII and the RF 100-500 that I rented for the eclipse. Using the Thousand Oaks Optical solar filter with a homemade mount.

Definitely have to crop some., even at 500mm. I should have tried to get an extender for my cameras.

Will be using my R7 with my RF 70-200 f4, and the R6mkII with the RF 100-500.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I tested everything this afternoon.

I'm going with 24mm at 5-minute intervals, 500 for manual stills, and intend to shoot at 5-minute intervals, and then time lapse video at either 5 or 10 second intervals.

Eclipse Rig 2024 by FredMan, on Flickr

Eclipse 24mm_5-Minute Test by FredMan, on Flickr

Eclipse 500mm test by FredMan, on Flickr

Here's the ephemeris from my location

Eclipse Ephemeris by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Will people be burning out their phone cameras recording it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
View Quote

Probably. And then you'll get sob stories about burnt iPhone censors.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Here’s my go-to EXIF using TO filters.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77154/F7B82AD5-497B-4A41-B1D9-3344CD3273D5-3175828.jpg

For totality you’re on your own.

Oh, I also recommend shooting from a tripod with a remote shutter, turning off VR, mirror up shooting, and electronic front curtain.

Trigger the mirror up with your remote, give it a few moments to settle, then fire the shutter with another remote press. The goal is to remove as much vibration as possible from your tripod setup.
View Quote

I was doing some test shots yesterday and I couldn't get anywhere near 1/640 without it being really dim.

ISO 100
f/8
1/80
70-200 f2.8 @ 200mm

Was getting good results.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:

I've done 90% eclipse with a GoPro and don't have any problems ... aside from not being able to tell it was an eclipse because of auto-exposure compensation.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Only a 63% eclipse here in Arizona.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Untitled by Chris Weathers, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
We traveled to Arkansas to see it. Awesome experience.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By flfreefall:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155763/QA5A4446_jpeg-3182495.JPG
View Quote

Ok, that’s dope.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Took the day off

Was gonna just enjoy the view, but right before, I decided to tape some eclipse glasses to my Tamron 300 and start shooting.

Nikon D3300

no tripod

goofing off with family was a lot of fun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Took a frame every 6 minutes, so this is just a start.

And the fooking clouds rolled in right before our maximum coverage, and that screwed that up.  I did manage to get some more post shots; so not all as lost.

30 minutes after "first contact".
Eclipse 2024 500mm FC +30 by FredMan, on Flickr

42 minutes after Maximum Coverage
Eclipse 2024 500mm MC+42 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't have any filters so I had to wait till totality.

" />
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By flfreefall:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155763/QA5A4446_jpeg-3182495.JPG
View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#46]
And here's the stack of 24mm frames.  Only lost 4 frames lost due to clouds, so not too bad!

Interval was 5 minutes.

Edit by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Photos from A-camera got screwed up one photo into totality - the horses got spooked, I got thrown for a loop, and screwed up the checklist.

I know I got a cool photo of totality with B-camera, but it now looks like I lost all of those photos.  Looks like something happened with the memory card.  

Still trying to finish out the sequence, hoping those photos can be recovered, or are just in some other folder, or something.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#48]
And, for the second time today, the goats have gone home.  A truly impressive stampede across the back 30 coming out of totality.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone have lightroom tips on processing these? I just shot with a 200mm lens that had a shade 14 welding glass hung off the front. I did get some good ones, but after playing with a couple of them a bit, I'm wondering if that's the most I'm going to get out of a 6DII and the 70-200 F2.8 or if there's more to be had.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
And, for the second time today, the goats have gone home.  A truly impressive stampede across the back 30 coming out of totality.
View Quote

Lulz. Should have shot some video of the goats all “WTF?  Seems like we just came from there!”
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top