Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2024 8:55:43 PM EDT
As the title says, who is planning on attempting to photograph the eclipse on April 08?
This will be my first time attempting anything Solar, so kind of nervous about it.
The family & I are planning on traveling that Sunday from the Atlanta area to Lexington TN to stay in a hotel (my wife accidently booked TN and not KY and it is the only area that she can use her employee rate, everyone else is booked or too expensive) and then traveling the morning of the eclipse over to Arkansas to hopefully be in the path of totality. I'm looking at Clinton AR as a possible spot. Any other locations in that area that anyone may recommend?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup

Did it last time and looking forward to it again

Had 5 cameras working on the last eclipse.

We will be in Texas this time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's funny, just yesterday I was digging through a bunch of paperwork and found a blank white envelope. Opened it up and found my solar eclipse paper and plastic glasses from one that came years ago.

I almost threw them away but then decided to keep them. I'm glad I did if we have another one coming up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm hoping to find a place to go to take photos of the next eclipse.

I need to either rent or buy a good long tele lens, a Canon RF 100-500. I've got a 70-200 that's probably not quite long enough.

And I need to find a spot. I want to go down to southern Oklahoma, down by Broken Bow. But everything is probably already taken.

If anyone has a spot in Texas or Oklahoma and wants to share I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck to you!  I went to Oregon back in 2017 to see the total solar eclipse. It was a madhouse in the totality zone, so many people came from all over the states. Lodging was completely sold out, luckily I reserved an Airbnb WAY far I'm advance.

I did not photograph the eclipse, just experienced it. Immediately afterwards I was happy with my decision, it was quite an event to experience and it didn't last long.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:48:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#5]
We drove up to Missouri to chase the 2017 eclipse. We didn't book any rooms or anything as we left early and managed to get up there in time to set up. I tried to take some photos but had shitty lenses and didn't know what I was doing and didn't manage to get any good pictures at all.

The drive back was awful. The interstate was completely jammed, it was like rush hour for about 2 hours, bumper to bumper. We should have just found a place to pull over and eat dinner and left the traffic thin out.

I need to find a couple of spots, a primary and a back up in case the weather isn't clear the day of. Kind of why I'm not planning to book a place much ahead of of time. I'm fine staying out of the large urban areas and getting off the highway to get to a decent spot. That's sort of the adventure in the whole thing anyway. I'm shooting for some place down by Broken Bow or Idabel, off the beaten path. Maybe extreme north east Texas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#6]
We have a cabin booked in Mountain View, AR for the eclipse. Capping off a week in the area including Eureka Springs (Crescent Hotel) and Magazine.

I plan to enjoy watching it without worrying about photos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw the last one that came through these parts, and I plan on traveling to see this next one. But photograph it? No. It's amazing to watch but photos don't do it justice. I won't take away from the experience by fiddling with a camera. I'll just enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to; however, I'll be away in Quantico for 10 weeks during it.  Missouri is right in the path.  Got great shots of the last one though
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I got some decent shots with my "rig" in 2017

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought about buying a sun filter for my spotting scope. I’m in Ohio in the path of totality.

And I mean I’m IN THE PATH as in dead center.

Most schools in the area are closed that day and county commissioners are concerned about the influx of visitors. I bet it’s cloudy that day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yep, me too.  Our house was about 5 miles from dead center of the swath of totality.

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm debating whether to go flying and experience it from the air or not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By midmo:

Yep, me too.  Our house was about 5 miles from dead center of the swath of totality.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219829/eclipse3-286350.JPG
View Quote

I walked out my door at work into the parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Find an area with little chance of cloud cover.  The one I saw in Nebraska was the closest thing I've had to a religious experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Our property lies almost dead center in the totality area east of Dallas, my town has 7k residents, so should not be too crowded.

I have been thinking of hosting a camping gathering

Haven't taken photos before, but both kids are into stars and have small telescopes, so we will be out there
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
My home is right in the path of totality.
I suspect I will get a few photos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]

@RDTCU can you please elaborate on the “Rig” you have attached to the end of your camera? I have access to welding lenses, etc as well as a digital camera. 🤔
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:
@RDTCU can you please elaborate on the “Rig” you have attached to the end of your camera? I have access to welding lenses, etc as well as a digital camera. 🤔
View Quote

Half a pair of those disposable eclipse glasses they sell in bulk...
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
View Quote

Note the shadows through the branches, and the immediate drop in temp.
Pretty freaky.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Pretty freaky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty freaky.

During the 2017 episode, I had to move my mother from rehab into assisted living.
I did not have the opportunity to do any viewing, but vividly recall the double shadow effect as I was trying to maneuver her in her wheelchair. And the birds all took to roosting during that time - things got noticeably quiet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Pretty freaky.
View Quote

August 21 2017 in Oregon it was a perfect day. Hot and sunny. The temperature drop was significant.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on if I'm home or if I'm working.   If I'm home in Dallas it's a no brainer I will give it a shot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:
View Quote

Please do not use welding glasses, or a welding hood. They don't provide enough protection. You need to use a certified solar filter. You will either burn out your retinas, or your camera sensor if you don't use the proper type of filter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By H4ppyB34r:
Our property lies almost dead center in the totality area east of Dallas, my town has 7k residents, so should not be too crowded.

I have been thinking of hosting a camping gathering

Haven't taken photos before, but both kids are into stars and have small telescopes, so we will be out there
View Quote

If you are willing to host, and your property line is on the actual path of totality, and you are willing to host a few people, please let me know. I'm looking for a staging area.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
If you are willing to host, and your property line is on the actual path of totality, and you are willing to host a few people, please let me know. I'm looking for a staging area.
View Quote

In 2017 it was crazy around here. Lots of people with space in the path had signs and some charged parking😆
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#26]

In 2017 it was crazy around here. Lots of people with space in the path had signs and some charged parking😆
View Quote

We got really lucky, Drove up to Missouri the morning of. We got off the main highways though and started heading north on the country roads while following the map to the totality line. Found a mostly empty parking lot nearly on the dead center of the totality line for some public works garage. I guess the people there didn't mind us setting up. There were two or three other families that stopped at the same area.

The drive back was awful though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#27]
My home is on the path of totality, supposedly for a few minutes anyway.
I'm thinking I will set up and shoot with 2 cameras, plus possibly use the 400mm lens on another to snag some of the bird roosting that takes place. The world, if I recall from last time, becomes a really eerie place for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#28]
At total, you don't need eye protection.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I sure do.   But I need a new camera.   I have some canon lenses, so either canon or another brand that can also use those would be the most economical choice
B&H sent out an email with their choices for cameras to use for the eclipse.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/eclipse-cameras/ci/58090

They are mostly mirrorless.  And I was originally thinking about the Pentax K-1, because it has a short duration star tracker.  But it is an older design, maybe 10 years old now?  
They have a couple Canon bodies.  The EOS R7, which is about $1400, and the R5 is more than double that.   I can swing the $1400 no problem.  I'm not going to make money with taking pictures, so I'm thinking the R5 is over kill.  
So I'm mostly wondering if I will get nice crisp photos with the 32MP caera, or I would be so much more blown away with the R5?   The pictures would mostly be viewed on a computer monitor or Ipad anyways.  

I was so disappointed when I saw my downloaded photos from my ancient EOS Rebel Ti, compared to so many other pictures people got.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#30]
There are some decent lens adapters that will get Canon (or Nikon) lenses onto other cameras, with some minor drawbacks. You have to check the particulars for each adapter and how your lenses do or do not work on the the adapter.
What Canon lenses do you have? If it's a kit lens, the lens is likely why you're getting crappy photos.
Most Canon primes (available used but good condition) give excellent results.
Canon L series primes usually yield stunning results.
Unless there's something wrong with your camera, it should yield a good image, up to the capabilities of the lens.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

The peach orchard up the road from us is open for RVs, self-contained, for $50 a day, minimum 3 day stay.
The highway department is warning that traffic is going to be awful, and the Buffalo River area is overbooked already.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
They have a couple Canon bodies.  The EOS R7, which is about $1400, and the R5 is more than double that.   I can swing the $1400 no problem.  I'm not going to make money with taking pictures, so I'm thinking the R5 is over kill.
View Quote

I just bought the Canon EOS R7, and have owned an EOS R6 mkII for almost a year, and also have an EOS RP that I bought several years ago.

I'm planning to shoot the eclipse with both my R6 mkII and the R7. I think either one will get nice sharp images. The R7, being higher mega pixel count will lend it self to cropping the photo more, and will also give you a 1.6x crop with a full frame lens. So if you had a 200mm lens, it would be equivalent to 360mm on a full frame camera like the r6 mkII.

The R6 mkII is definitely better in low light, soo if you were wanting to do more nightscape and astro photography I think it would be a better choice. But for the eclipse all I don't think it iwll be an issue as the sum will be plenty bright at all stage of the eclipse.

Keep an eye on the Canon Refurb sit. It's out of stock right now, but they will sell the R7 for $1119, so you can save some on the cost of the camera that way:

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-r7-body

They also have good prices on the R5, R6 mkII, and R8 which are all currently in stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I only took photos during totality last time so did not use any special filters or anything. I think I used a 300mm lens with a 1.4 teleconverter. I only took a few pics, the whole experience was pretty cool. Try to find a location where you have good visibility out to the horizon versus just looking up. I recommend using an electronic viewfinder or live view screen rather than an optical viewfinder due to risk of vision damage.  I also found using a shadow box or whatever you want to call it was a lot nicer than trying to use eclipse glasses.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#34]
3 cameras last time.

Thinking hard about a day trip and just stopping on the road shoulder somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Iv never seen/filmed an eclipse before but I was thinking of setting my phone up on a tripod with a filter over the camera as a budget friendly way to get some pictures/video .

I didn’t think about using my vortex spotting scoop. Would it make a big difference? Just wondering if it’s worth shelling out the money for a phone adapter and sun filter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
3 cameras last time.

Thinking hard about a day trip and just stopping on the road shoulder somewhere.
View Quote

In this area, there are queuing up emergency management, predicting traffic standstills beginning 2 days before in some locations.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Traffic after the totality last time was an epic crapstorm. I would plan on "bugging in" to wherever you are for at least several hours.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#38]

In this area, there are queuing up emergency management, predicting traffic standstills beginning 2 days before in some locations.
View Quote

What part of AR are you in?
Right now our plans are shifting slightly and we found a room in Cabot AR and are planning on driving to Clinton AR which is almost on the totality line.
Is there any place different that you would recommend to try to set up to see totality?

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#39]
A word of wisdom.  I know you all know this first part.  Use a tripod for your camera and a remote trigger. But the real reason besides steady shooting is this.  For the three minutes of totality take off your safety glasses and watch with your neaked eyes and if you have them use bino's. If you don't you will miss the most spectacular show you may ever get to see in your lifetime. What your eyes will see no picture can catch.

I am going to drive up to my brothers place in NH. He is in the band of totality and about 30 miles south from dead center of it. So I am driving up Saturday morning and driving home on Tuesday. He has a lot of open land at his house so I can set up right there.

Will be shooting two cameras. The main one is sitting on top of my Star Adventure GTi equatorial mount. That one will be programed to take brackets every so often. All I'll have to do it change shutter speed as the light changes.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhatsGnu] [#40]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

Right now our plans are shifting slightly and we found a room in Cabot AR and are planning on driving to Clinton AR which is almost on the totality line.
Is there any place different that you would recommend to try to set up to see totality?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

We're just north of Conway. To get from Cabot to Clinton on the day of the eclipse is going to be a traffic nightmare: Ark. State Police is predicting Hwy 65 to be snarled or a standstill, also I40 east of Russelville.
The Buffalo River area in North Arkansas is booking up at exorbitant prices - many places have been booked for months.
My advice would be to arrive 3 days early to whatever location you're planning to shoot from.

Path of totality plus traffic advisory areas

Just to add: Russellville, Clinton, Marshall, Mountain View, all will have a good view. But to get to any of those from Cabot requires some two-lane mountain road travel.
Places to stay are limited - Marshall has a couple of little non-chain motels for instance. Travel on Hwy 65 is a pain on a normal day, as it is a mix of 2 lane and 4 lane traveled by a lot of heavy trucks.
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but this event is shaping up to be chaotic. The Ark. Emergency Management Agency has already held a practice drill and contingency planning for Police, Fire, Medical and National Guard to deal with the event.
I'm planning on not venturing out anywhere until it's over.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
I drove several hours north into Nebraska in '17
worth the trip, so do it.
do your homework (you're on it) :)

I got some Quality American made solar film and made my own filter for my 300mm/2.8
and shot it with my D600

make sure you take your setup out and practice before you go for realz
View Quote

Pretty sound advice.
I just happen to be blessed/cursed with a little home in the path of totality. Even on good days it's difficult to get across hwy 65 to go get groceries.
Arkansas' infrastructure is quite poor compared many other places.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

From my front yard during the last one that crossed the US.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By snaggletooth1925:
Iv never seen/filmed an eclipse before but I was thinking of setting my phone up on a tripod with a filter over the camera as a budget friendly way to get some pictures/video .

I didn’t think about using my vortex spotting scoop. Would it make a big difference? Just wondering if it’s worth shelling out the money for a phone adapter and sun filter.
View Quote

Solar filters, particularly homemade ones, are cheap. Like under $50.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Here’s a quick’n’dirty map showing totality centerline, then decreasing coverage in 5% segments.

Looks like I’m in the 80-85% coverage, just where I was last time.

2024 Eclispe Coverage Map by FredMan, on Flickr

That got me this, among others…

Eclipse 600mm Full Sequence-9 Frames Resize_ by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#46]
If you look at the map look at the top of New Hampshire. The red dot is where I'll be providing I can go. Shooting from my brother's yard. I think I'll have a good seat if the weather is good.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RED_5:
make sure you take your setup out and practice before you go for realz
View Quote

Great advice.  And make sure you've got everything there, right where you want it and ready to go well before zero hour.  Things get busy for the few minutes you have to grab pics, and you'll be fighting your own urge to just stand and marvel at the thing.  Have at least one camera rigged with no filter for full totality so you can just swap out instead of fumbling with the filter.

It's a trade off.  As I get older I'm more inclined to let others do the picture/video taking while I just kick back and enjoy the eclipse, the wedding, the beach trip, etc.  I regret some of the time I've spent behind the camera instead of just soaking it all in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I have the worst timing, I just ditched my d500 and f mount glass last week. I’ll set up with the Z and either my 70-180(maybe with a tc) or hoping the 180-600mm comes back in stock by then. 1-400 is more than I can afford to spend. But if I have too, maybe..

My dad’s property is directly under the path in E. Tx. Shouldn’t have a great local.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Some of the cool things I remember from the last one:

Once total eclipse was achieved, noting how it was dark all around except for on the horizon, like 360 degree around on the horizon.  That was cool.

The street lights came on automatically during the darkness.

All of the night time critters starting chirping.

Temp drop.

I got some great pictures from the event.  It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By EBR666:

If you look at the map look at the top of New Hampshire. The red dot is where I'll be providing I can go. Shooting from my brother's yard. I think I'll have a good seat if the weather is good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231737/53535874174_215a194fb8_h-3132959.jpg
View Quote

Might want to see how far that spot is from the centerline.  Duration of totality will range from about 4.5 minutes to just a few seconds, depending on how far from the centerline you are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top