Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Had all 3 daughters recruited for different sports, so I had a VERY varied experience.  PM me if you want a nutshell.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Some good info in here. If he plays for a "big" club...they should be ramping up participation in showcase tournaments, which in my experience go way further than camps. College coaches flock to them.

Talk to his club coach and/or technical director and see what they are planning for his team. That and ODP are probably the best ways for him to be seen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:
alright last bit -- a challenge for him :

seems like you are in SC.  have your son email the 3-4 best college teams in SC.   try to get an appointment through your club coach to meet the coaches in SC on campus if possible.  this summer is a great time...

the coaches CAN work through your club coach to set something up -- even though they are not allowed to contact your son directly YET.

GOAL : get an in-person 'interview' on campus with the coach or assistant coach to talk about playing there.

it may or may not happen.   BUT -- it WILL be an exercise to see if your son has the DESIRE to undergo the recruiting grind.  because he will have to do that 20x to get a D1 scholarship.   doing it this summer in SC would just make it easy travel-wise.  

will be a fun challenge.  the best thing my daughter did was get -- in 9th grade -- a sit-down interview with a D1 head coach in NC.  it really opened her eyes to the process even though she ended up playing elsewhere.
View Quote

Excellent info guys, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sevenator:
Some good info in here. If he plays for a "big" club...they should be ramping up participation in showcase tournaments, which in my experience go way further than camps. College coaches flock to them.
Talk to his club coach and/or technical director and see what they are planning for his team. That and ODP are probably the best ways for him to be seen.
View Quote

He’s on an ECNL team, they had 3 showcases this year! Yea, the club and its directors are seriously connected, that’s not an issue. The club even includes a recruiting platform/website and has their own college recruiting director. Almost all of the coaches are from overseas and have college or pro experience (and the licenses to go with it), I’ve been very happy with the club. Big time club soccer is what you have to have to play to get in college or the pros. ECNL and MLS Next are the two elite youth soccer leagues in the USA… he’s in a good place, no worries there.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Citadel:

if he's white male about the only way in ( to any academy )  on round one is being a D1 athlete otherwise it's likely the  TWE
View Quote

Perhaps it has changed in recent years, but I am very white, I was not a D1 caliber athlete, nor was I the top of my class.  Had it not been for a last minute, unforseen medical disqualifier, I would have gone to West Point. Everyone told me I would never even get a nomination, so I told them to pound sand and ended up getting two, including one from a terrible US Senator (D).

This is derailing the thread a bit, but don't let anyone discourage your son from taking a shot at his dreams, West point or otherwise. When you are young, that is the time to go all-in, work hard, and take big risks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
This probably isn’t what you want to hear but if your freshman kid isn’t already playing varsity then your recruiting fantasy is just that, a fantasy.  The real phenoms are discovered before or by then.  International soccer is a great sport but if someone has not been looking at the kid way earlier than high school you would be super lucky to even find a spot in MLS which is the joke league of the world.  He needs to focus on his education and learn a trade that can’t be offshored. I hope you and your son prove me wrong but after seeing decades of deluded parents you should maybe know the truth upfront.

View Quote

This. I went to high school in an area that played De La Salle. On their high school team were two people who went to the NFL and became All-Pros. When you've seen first hand future professional athletes play against regular, and even really good players, it makes the whole recruitment thing a joke. Professional athletes past the age of 14 stand out like a 30 year old in a kids karate class. I know many people who have spent lots of money getting their kid "noticed" and it worked out great...for the people they paid to get them noticed.

If your son is good enough to really play at the next level, they will find him. This isn't 1978. If you're having to pay for anything, you're getting taken for your money.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top