Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 12/6/2023 12:12:32 PM EDT
I'm headed to Costa Rica early next March and would love to squeeze in some dive time.  I'm flying into and out of Liberia.  The bulk of my time will be spent near Nosara and there is one dive operator nearby, but I'm also considering adding a few days on the front or back end of my vacation to do some diving near Tamarindo, Playa Flamingo, or Playa Hermosa.  

Anyhow...  just wondering if anyone here has experience in Costa Rica, and if there are any recommended dive locations or dive operators in the area.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I used Rocket Frog in Guanacaste last year.  Big fan,  the ocean sucks,  wildlife was great.  Lots of sharks, blue whales with Calves, thousands of Mobula Rays. If you go to Playa Del Coco, eat at Villa Italia.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
In for info
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
I used Rocket Frog in Guanacaste last year.  Big fan,  the ocean sucks,  wildlife was great.  Lots of sharks, blue whales with Calves, thousands of Mobula Rays. If you go to Playa Del Coco, eat at Villa Italia.
View Quote

Thanks!  They were one of the operations I reviewed, glad to hear they get good marks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Dove northern CR about 8 years ago.  No visibility compared to the rest of Caribbean.  Had way more fun in the jungle and on volcano.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
View Quote

Done deal.  I've booked 4 days of 2-3 tank diving with these folks, and am going to try to squeeze in a couple of night dives as well.  Aside from an upcoming refresher class and hopefully a couple of dives in a Florida spring or two, this will be my first diving in 6-7 years, having given up diving on a regular basis 10-12 years ago.  Hopefully I won't be too much of a train wreck, or at least I hope I'm in good form by the end of the trip...
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm late but just in case.  

My daughter and I spent a day with Tamarindo Diving summer of 22.  They treated us well.  Smaller dive op.  New boat with room for 12-16 IIRC.  The day my daughter and I were scheduled there was another group of 4-6 that ended up too drunk/hung over to dive.  To their credit they ran the boat anyway.  Captain, mate and dive master with just daughter and me.   Visibility was OK.   One other bit is they offered a daily three tank trip with lunch included vs other ops two tank half day trips.  

Tamarindo Diving
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, a little too late, but I will put them on the list for next year. Did my first three tank dive with rocket frog today. I was the only diver that went out; I offered to cancel the dive but they were all about it. So off we went. Visibility was less than stellar and I was a complete train wreck for the first dive, but still had a great time! Visibility deteriorated over the next two dives, but it was still fun and I'm definitely headed out with them again tomorrow. I brought a GoPro and will hopefully get some pictures, but conditions aren't ideal and I was not able to assemble a decent lighting rig in time. Oh well, underexposed fish pictures are better than no fish pictures at all
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top