Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I LOVED playing with my HO scale set when I was a kid. Have a HUGE layout. Two pieces of 4x8 plywood sized town. Had a whole room just for it.

One of my kids is into it today and has a decent sized layout.

I dig it still, but just have other pursuits that take my attention and time, but I still have a great appreciation for model train layouts and would go see one of the exhibition shows if it were in front of me
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mark9000:
I have loved them since I was a kid as did my Dad. I started getting back into it after my Dad passed away (life is short). I want to build a layout in the basement.

I saw this video on Youtube and thought it was incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHASpKgRtQ

Show em if you got em :)
View Quote

Looks like it is closing.

NOTE: Our building is being sold and the Center is closing permanently.  The displays will be sold off individually.  If you know someone who many interested in acquiring one of them please reach out to us.  Contact info is here on this site. https://www.finescalemodeling.org/

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
I agree. I did RC planes for about 10 years when electric started to take off. I did not like the club environment due to old guys.

My experience with model train blubs has been a pretty good mix of young and old. Approx 25 years ago, I was a 22 year old president of a 10K sq ft club at the state fairgrounds with about 30 very active members. It definitely wasn't "run by old guys". Several of us build a huge HO layout that operated for 14 days straight every year for the state fair, and then all year round as a club layout.

Now, my experience includes young and old and is mostly online.  I am part of several facebook 3d printing groups and other modeling groups like HO, track weathering and detailing, shelf layouts, buildings, scenery, brass trains, etc...  The group sizes range from 3K-20K members. The age range seems to be incredibly varied.
View Quote

LOLOLOLOL!  
I flew RC back in the ‘90’s when I was 28-38 yo. I went to the meetings.  It was a hoot watching everyone stick to Roberts Rules.  I laughed, but after hearing about all the latest school board meetings and county council meetings where the majority were voted in because of the demographics changing in the area, I was glad those rules were put in place.  
“I’m gonna cut yo ass when we get to the parking lot!”
“Can we get a motion on that?”
So glad to leave Richland county.

But back to model railroads.  I got into O gauge a few years back with a Christmas set from Lionel.  I wanted to build an outdoor display and started buying straight track sections. Never happened, we moved. Not sure how I could make it happen in the new place. But one thing is for sure. Nicer stuff isn’t cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
One of my father's layouts - his last, actually, before he died in late 2018 - was featured in a model railroad magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtzlC-eHc9g

It was his main hobby during non-summer months. We had two huge layouts in the house where I grew up, the first in the basement and then later the entire finished attic. The one in the video above was in my parents' house where they retired. I grew up going to "real" train stuff, trips to Pennsylvania mostly. Still have lots of my dad's stuff and some trains I had as a kid, always set up the Lionel Polar Express for Christmas time.
View Quote

Sorry about your Dad, looks like he was an incredibly talented man. Awesome layout.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Buzz69:

NOTE: Our building is being sold and the Center is closing permanently.  The displays will be sold off individually.  If you know someone who many interested in acquiring one of them please reach out to us.  Contact info is here on this site. https://www.finescalemodeling.org/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I have loved them since I was a kid as did my Dad. I started getting back into it after my Dad passed away (life is short). I want to build a layout in the basement.

Thats sad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_America

That place was a favorite of mine growing up. It was amazingly complex and detailed. It was like the ultimate (unachievable) end goal for anybody who ever collected model trains, like how Jay Leno's garage relates to average car guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Thats sad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thats sad.

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:20:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#8]
Originally Posted By DD1801:

The large markings (DG&H Freight Lines 3340) on the white hopper copper car seem to predate the hopper car itself, they look like something from the 1940s (?) and the car itself is a newer hopper (1990s or newer)?
View Quote
Yes. The decals came from a set for either a 36' wood sheathed boxcar or reefer. I cut them up and used them for the hopper, based on a photo I found of a Seaboard hopper from the 60s. I used an Accurail Data Only covered hopper. I also did a DG&H boxcar using a data only boxcar. The DG&H was the narrow gauge line on the Gorre and Daphetid. I imagined that it eventually switched to standard gauge, like the Saint Louis Southwestern did, and continued to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary of the G&D.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By Chris_1522:

Those are both painted not for real railroads but for famous model railroads. The boxcar is painted for John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" and the hopper is painted for one I am not familiar with (but did do a quick Google search on).

Both railroads are modeled in an earlier era than those cars would have existed in, but regardless many modelers love to page homage to these "famous" model railroads by having rolling stock painted for them regardless of the era.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I'm also sure the G&D would have been forced to modernize and purchase more up to date equipment, especially when flush with cash after WWII. I decaled up a small fleet of these boxcars. Some of them, and one of the DG&H boxcars wound up with John Allen style track cleaning pads underneath them.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The Data Only hoppers are available with two different build dates. I did the cars with 1960s build dates with the diamond, and the cars from the 80s with the lettering.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

There's a covered hopper sitting on a siding in town right now with weathering a lot like 15033's, except that car is almost bright orange. from either rust or red dirt.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I logged in just to tell you thanks for the laugh.  That is FU**ING hilarious.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top