Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/8/2024 1:23:36 PM EDT
I have loved them since I was a kid as did my Dad. I started getting back into it after my Dad passed away (life is short). I want to build a layout in the basement.

I saw this video on Youtube and thought it was incredible:

One Of The Best and Most Detailed Model Railroad Layouts in the World 4K UHD

Show em if you got em :)
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
About 15 years ago I got into collecting O scale cars and buildings, layout materials and such for a purposed project. Never tried to build a layout or anything. The cars sat in a display shelf for a couple of years before I got tired of looking at them.

Listed the all on EBay and sold them off.

Never had any interest again:
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you like imitation crab meat?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love one, however space is at a premium. Texas doesn't have basements to fill with trackage like up north.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HangfiresGhost] [#8]
Interested in the miniatures and diorama aspect of the hobby versus the trains.

The old wooden picket fence with weeds growing through it, water tower ladder with a broken rung, vines growing over an old abandoned tank. That's some detail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to rail  models.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I started playing with N Scale trains a few months ago.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tnriverluver] [#11]
I have tons of HO stuff and would love to build a layout for my grandsons but have zero room in my way overpacked home.
I even still have my working Lionel from around 1965 and in the original box!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#12]
We went to a national model train show last year, took my wife and 14 year old son. My wife liked it more than my son. That show moves around, but there are always smaller shows around if it's something that interests you. Google train clubs in your area, you will find they have shows, but probably not as large as this one.

2023 NMRA National Train Show in Grapevine, Texas

I needed some trains for a trade show booth last year, so we dabbled. I have a few regular old HO scale DC trains, nothing fancy. We used them for the display and I put them back into pelican cases with thoughts of putting together a track in my office. I've just been too damn busy to fool with it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Bobby Bacala Dead - The Sopranos HD

Model RR is not to be trifled with. Especially standard gauge.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d16man:
My brother and I were when we were kids.  At 24 my brother was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma.   While he was neutropenic he worked on our train set because he couldn't go outside.  My dad has continued his work post death.  I will one day inherit and continue also.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/337946/20240101_121952-3078430.jpg
View Quote

I often see train sets being given away for free on Facebook/Craigslist these days, it's really sad to see all that effort being put into layouts but the family that inherits them has no interest in them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

A Hegge fan, I see.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 4'x8' Z scale layout.  It is set in 1986 Germany.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

A Hegge fan, I see.
View Quote
You got the wrong guy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
You got the wrong guy.
View Quote
John Allen?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep. I sure am.

I go to the model railroad shows around Texas sometimes.  

One of these days, I’ll set up my 1940’s-50’s era Lionel again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

I often see train sets being given away for free on Facebook/Craigslist these days, it's really sad to see all that effort being put into layouts but the family that inherits them has no interest in them anymore.
View Quote

It's an old white boomer mans thing.
As a gen X, I have trains I had as a kid that my dad bought me and only put them around the tree at Yule.
Later generations have no interest in such things
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Do you like imitation crab meat?
View Quote
Came to post this
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sbude57:
John Allen?
View Quote
Much better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a pretty nice N scale table setup and a tons of train cars and engines when I was a kid. When my parents moved, they stripped the table of parts and ditched it and all the boxed of actual trains were either lost or stolen by the movers. It took me a few years to realize the boxes never turned up.

I'm curious how much all of it would be worth today, but I don't really like imitation crab meat.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Scare_Crow:

As a gen X, I have trains I had as a kid that my dad bought me and only put them around the tree at Yule.
View Quote

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Who does your floors?  Those are shining like the floors in a palace.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Wings2Wheels:

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains
View Quote

Bet $20 that dude has a fat karen wife and him and the trains are hiding in the basement from her
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains

Can't imagine willingly paying for modern chinese made lionel stuff
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
Very false.

While there are plenty of old white guys (myself included), there are a ton of young guys (and more women than back when I was young).  YouTube and Facebook have so much more model train content now than you could ever imagine. I belong to two 3d modeling and 3d printing groups on Facebook with 13K & 16K members. The NMRA (National Model Railroad Assoc) model group has 12K members. I belong to a brass train collectors group with 7K members.

watch some of this guy's videos. He is incredible.
Scratching Random Details & Telling Your Railroad Story | Boomer Diorama ~ Vlog # 195

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Was that John Wayne at 4:55?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I built a an 8X12 HO layout using mainly foam board with multi elevations while the ex wife was pregnant. Built it in the nursery and then when the twins were due had to basically recip saw it apart and trash it. Poor planning on my part
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Minus OP's dad passing this thread is going exactly the way I'd expect it would and hope it does!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains
View All Quotes

Tell that to Ben...

Ben's Trains

Damn.. $1200?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#35]
@wormgod
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]
The skill and effort involved in some of those layouts is mind-boggling.

RFD-TV airs a program on model trains and layouts on Mondays @3:30 Eastern, followed by real train videos @5:00 Eastern.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
I'd like to rail  models.
View Quote

Who doesnt?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAlmightyYak] [#39]
View All Quotes

Four minutes, 5 seconds lapse.  

Well done GD....Well done.

ETA:
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#40]
My kid is an alpha foamer at 6 years old. He has a train room we have season passes to one of the worlds largest G-scale layouts where we visit regularly. I just last weekend got in the attic and found some HO scale stuff I had setup when I was a kid and gave it to him. You'd have thought he won the lottery. It's all he's talked about and played with all week.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#41]
It won't be written about, but this single-handedly ended model railroading as a hobby.

My 6yr old son has a bunch of the Playmobil trains. I see him mainly setting stuff up on the tracks and crashing into it.  I don't know if he'll advance any further.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#42]
What kind of space do you have to build it in? What scale do you want to use? Are you going for basic or super detail/ realistic scenery? (You could even do historical recreation of real locations like I like to do)
You have to figure some of that out before you start because how you go about it all with purchases and how you build it from the beginning matters depending on desired outcome.

If you like the stuff I do you need to practice building things a bit and buy the good stuff when it comes to equipment and track, ect.  Find some friends that now how to do stuff. One way is to go to some train shows if you live near a bigger population area where they might have such things.  You will see some weird people.  You will probably also meat a few more normal guys that know stuff and can help.  Some of the best modelers can be a little  That's OK.  Others will be  You'll know the difference.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark9000] [#44]
Originally Posted By BM1455:
What kind of space do you have to build it in? What scale do you want to use? Are you going for basic or super detail/ realistic scenery? (You could even do historical recreation of real locations like I like to do)
You have to figure some of that out before you start because how you go about it all with purchases and how you build it from the beginning matters depending on desired outcome.

If you like the stuff I do you need to practice building things a bit and buy the good stuff when it comes to equipment and track, ect.  Find some friends that now how to do stuff. One way is to go to some train shows if you live near a bigger population area where they might have such things.  You will see some weird people.  You will probably also meat a few more normal guys that know stuff and can help.  Some of the best modelers can be a little  That's OK.  Others will be  You'll know the difference.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/IMG_3349_JPG-3153496.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/IMG_3371_JPG-3153499.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/IMG_3483_JPG-3153500.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/scan0001_jpg-3153501.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196710/IMG_3435_JPG-3153502.JPG

View Quote

I have a full unfinished basement. Me and my Dad used to dabble with HO but migrated to N because you can build a lot more with N as its smaller. HO is the most popular and where you can get a lot of detail. I have always built things from scratch or taken kits of building and added on to to them. We used to build scenery and stuff when I was kid - trees, grass, mountains, etc....

Yeah I know modelers can be odd but what hobby doesnt have odd people (look at the gun guys :) including myself).

You do nice work with that engine and car!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mark9000:

I have a full unfinished basement. Me and my Dad used to dabble with HO but migrated to N because you can build a lot more with N as its smaller. HO is the most popular and where you can get a lot of detail. I have always built things from scratch or taken kits of building and added on to to them. We used to build scenery and stuff when I was kid - trees, grass, mountains, etc....

Yeah I know modelers can be odd but what hobby doesnt have odd people (look at the gun guys :) including myself).

You do nice work with that engine and car!
View Quote

Wish I had more pics of structures I have built and modules I have made and sold.

Sn2 I once made.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I like models and miniatures of damn near anything. But rail layouts are a huge space suck.

I do collect O-gauge model cars though. The four wheel variety, not the train variety.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark9000] [#47]

You do really nice work, I am impressed.

I love the work of John Allen of Gore and Daphetid fame.

https://www.sundayriverproductions.com/model/gorre-and-daphetid

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
I like models and miniatures of damn near anything. But rail layouts are a huge space suck.

I do collect O-gauge model cars though. The four wheel variety, not the train variety.
View Quote

True about the space suck. Instead of a model railroad I just have a basement full of junk that I dont use
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve long admired the detail of the layouts and dedication of the builders. I’ve just never gotten in to them myself.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#50]

There it is!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top