Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 10:21:03 AM EDT
I want to get a bluray player that does your typical DVD upscale, plays Blu-rays, can do the new UHD Blu-rays, and is region free.

Sony, whoever is fine.

Yes, I know physical media is dead.
But as much as I like  the ease of reading books on kindle on iPad, streaming, etc. I still get some music, movies, books, etc. both old and new.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
I want to get a bluray player that does your typical DVD upscale, plays Blu-rays, can do the new UHD Blu-rays, and is region free.

Sony, whoever is fine.

Yes, I know physical media is dead.
But as much as I like  the ease of reading books on kindle on iPad, streaming, etc. I still get some music, movies, books, etc. both old and new.

Thanks for any info.
View Quote

Panasonic 820.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinU235:

Panasonic 820.

View Quote

This.  If you don't need Dolby Vision the Panasonic 420 is the same player but a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks.
When I look at the top one, it’s looks good to go but doesn’t seem to be UHD.
When I look at the bottom one, it seems to be UHD but not clear if it is region free.

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, I'm there with you on buying hard copies of movies and such.  I dont like relying on 3rd parties for things as simple as a movie.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:26:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#6]

Thanks.
When I look at the top one, it's looks good to go but doesn't seem to be UHD.
When I look at the bottom one, it seems to be UHD but not clear if it is region free.

Am I missing something?
View Quote

UHD (black box) is region free. Blu ray (blue box) is not. You will not get a blu ray region free player from normie markets. You will need to buy specially modified player, or a player you modified yourself (which I've done). However, again, UHD is region free. The Panny 820 will play almost anything you need and is about as future proof as you can get as there is no new development in this realm, outside of the one or two companies trying to replace Oppos with 4 figure players with high end DACs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

UHD (black box) is region free. Blu ray (blue box) is not. You will not get a blu ray region free player from normie markets. You will need to buy specially modified player, or a player you modified yourself (which I've done). However, again, UHD is region free. The Panny 820 will play almost anything you need and is about as future proof as you can get as there is no new development in this realm, outside of the one or two companies trying to replace Oppos with 4 figure players with high end DACs.
View Quote

So, a Panasonic 820 UHD player will let me play any new UHD Blu-rays,

But it needs modification by myself or from an online source to play regular blu rays and DVds region free?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can fine one, Oppo UDP-205. And be prepared to pay crazy prices.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#9]

So, a Panasonic 820 UHD player will let me play any new UHD Blu-rays,

But it needs modification by myself or from an online source to play regular blu rays and DVds region free?
View Quote

Correct. There's apparently remote control tricks you can do but I've never verified them myself. I do have a region B blu ray so maybe I'll try it today.

That said, here's where you can buy region free players, here's the 820 for example. They come with a much higher price tag for the modification. I don't see that they offer a DIY kit like they do for the Oppos, though. You can see what other less expensive modified players they sell.

https://www.220-electronics.com/panasonic-dp-ub820-region-free-blu-ray-player-uhd-ultra-hd-4k-wifi-3d.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Remote trick didn't work for the disc I have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok.  Looks like I can get a UBP-X700M that’s normally about 225$ delivered from another source for about 50 bucks more with the region free mod.

Think I will go with that.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok.  Looks like I can get a UBP-X700M that's normally about 225$ delivered from another source for about 50 bucks more with the region free mod.

Think I will go with that.

Thank you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It arrived and works great.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright so say I get a Blu-ray player just so I can listen to my old cd’s. From that I need a DAC to speakers? Or would I want an Amp between that and the speakers?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Axehund:
Alright so say I get a Blu-ray player just so I can listen to my old cd’s. From that I need a DAC to speakers? Or would I want an Amp between that and the speakers?
View Quote

Depends on the BDP and what outputs it has, and the speakers and whether they’re active/powered or passive/not internally powered.

If
- The BDP has audio outputs
- the speakers are internally powered, AND has the same kind of audio inputs (eg. RCA to RCA), all you’d need are the cables.

If the speakers are passive, you need an amp to power the speakers.

If you have an HT Receiver, THOSE usually have internal amps and numerous input and output options. You can hook up the BDP to the Receiver, and the speaker outs to the speakers.

Lots of variations depending on your equipment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m not sure what your goal is with the CDs.

My overall goal was to have a room where myself, wife, guests, grown kids, hopefully grandkids not to long away, etc. can come to a room where- yes, I also have a home office there- but also-

There is a huge bar and mini-fridge, a six seat table and cabinet of board games, a drawing/drafting table, 200sf of bookshelves with books, a couple of old iPads with even more books, half a dozen reclining / cup holder searing, a large 4K TV, streaming, 100s of DVDs/Blurays.  And while I don’t have a laser disc also VHS and UMD playing.

And while I don’t have Atari, Colecovision, SES, Sega Genesis, Cube, etc. their old PS3 and PS4 are there and the Sony game subscription is kept active.  Plus two arcade cabinets.  

Records, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, and IPods, and I guess IPhones can all be played.

All sound from the TV and the music devices goes into an Amp then to some floor speakers.
This means that no matter the source of the sound- be it HDMI, optic, etc. it all ends up going into an an Amp via analog.

I think it sounds great- and like it better than the surround sound in our main TV/living room.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My goal with the cd’s:
1: I just want to be able to play physical copies of my music. I have a bunch of stuff on my phone that I play on digital earpro when working but I just want to play my old stuff from the 90’s and even replace some of it.
2: i don’t have a “man cave” or den or bar or that type of stuff. I have a large heated shop that is constantly evolving and is my hang out place. I want play my music loud as I pretend to be young again.
3: might even add a tv at some point in the “office” mostly so my kids will hang out with me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
What does region free mean?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
My goal with the cd’s:
1: I just want to be able to play physical copies of my music. I have a bunch of stuff on my phone that I play on digital earpro when working but I just want to play my old stuff from the 90’s and even replace some of it.
2: i don’t have a “man cave” or den or bar or that type of stuff. I have a large heated shop that is constantly evolving and is my hang out place. I want play my music loud as I pretend to be young again.
3: might even add a tv at some point in the “office” mostly so my kids will hang out with me.
View Quote

CDs sound better than the stuff on Sirrius or Amazon music
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#20]
Originally Posted By zeekh:
View Quote
DVD's are "region encoded", something like 6 or 7 different regions for different markets.
Blu-Rays have 3 different region encodings (A, B and C). It all depends on which market they were intended to be sold in.
The players are also encoded to only play discs from the matching region. North America, Europe, etc.

(Note: 4K UHD discs are not region encoded. They are all the same.)

A "region-free" player will play discs from any encoded region. So if you buy a disc made for the European market, or the Asian market,
you can still play and watch it here.

eta: You'll see some marking like these on either the disc or the case...

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Region locking was an attempt at protecting creator rights. It was stupid so they stopped doing it with 4k blurays. DVDs had 8 regions Blu-ray had 3.

To play a region B Blu-ray in America, which is region A, you need either a region free Blu-ray player or a region B player.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Beat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Beat.
View Quote
Hey, I have a ton of Region C kung fu movies I bought from Hong Kong and I still haven't
bought a region free player, yet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
And while I don't have a laser disc also VHS and UMD playing.

View Quote
Bruh.
How's that work? Did they make UMD players for TVs?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
My goal with the cd’s:
View Quote

I would just go to EBay and grab some vintage CD boombox thing then.
Or spend 50m- 200 bucks on Amazon for a new one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ramairthree] [#26]
View Quote

There are a lot of movies that were released on VHS but not DVD or Blu-ray.
But available from other countries bootlegged to DVD.

Or some movies that were only released in other countries on DVD and/or Blu-ray.
These discs are coded by region.
I guess so they could ensure only places with a deal could watch the discs.
So, say
The rights/royalties or whatever were not authorized for a USA release of some movie.  But they were in another region and were sold there.

If you want to buy a disc from that region and watch it in the USA it won’t work on your USA region player.
It’s not typically big stuff.
But maybe you want to watch the Trials of Life nature videos.
They were only released on VHS in the USA.  You could find a way to stream them, or you could buy the DVds or Blu-ray’s from England.  To watch them here - they won’t work on a regular USA player- you need a region free player.

Also, there are different versions/scenes of some films that were not released here.

Edit- beat
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ll ask a friend who is THE expert on this ancpost his response when I hear back from him
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
I'll ask a friend who is THE expert on this ancpost his response when I hear back from him
View Quote
Expert on what? The OP question has been answered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I have a blu ray player/burner in my computer that I did just that with.

Info on how to do it here: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19634&sid=44b020ed4b880ba59983ad3d6529d595

You'll still need a way to either copy the media off the disc to play it OR you'll need to find a video player that can decode it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Some of the discs come with encoding on them to make them only work with hardware that shares the appropriate encoding keys or such.

IE a disc that only works in europe only working with a player that can read discs encoded for europe.

A region-free player means the hardware can play media from any region.

This is pretty widespread with video game consoles in the past too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
I’ll ask a friend who is THE expert on this ancpost his response when I hear back from him
View Quote

In for more info.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Expert on what? The OP question has been answered.
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I had plans at one point to mod my Oppo 203, but then never picked up discs I would have needed it for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Bruh.
View Quote

No.

There is both a three and 5 cable analog cord they made to hook the PSP into a TV.
There is also an aftermarket HDMI cable.

Granted, it’s   720×480
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#35]

No.

There is both a three and 5 cable analog cord they made to hook the PSP into a TV.

Granted, it's   720 480
View Quote
That makes sense. It's been so long since I've used a PSP that I honestly couldn't remember if it had ports to display out. I only learned yesterday that the sega saturn and original playstation were capable of playing VCDs with add on devices,  but it's not like VCDs ever really existed in America anyway, as far as I can remember. I'm a bit surprised they didn't catch on here. I mean, they're awful, but they are more convenient than vhs tapes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#36]

No.

Granted, it’s   720×480
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Bruh.

No.

Granted, it’s   720×480

Now tell him about VHS tapes that could record and playback in nice clean 1080i resolution. (yes, that is real)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HillaryClinton] [#37]
I've got this one. It plays everything (including my German 3D copy of T2). Currently $309 and there is a used one for $154
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Now tell him about VHS tapes that could record and playback in nice clean 1080i resolution. (yes, that is real)
View Quote
I've heard of HD tapes. I don't think I've ever seen one in person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: magnum_99] [#39]
Sony UBP-X800M2

The player has support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision (I believe it's the least expensive player with Dolby Vision support). It also does a fantastic job upscaling 1080p blu ray discs.

It works great with 4k discs, but don't rely on it to stream mkv files, as they often just won't work. You'll need an Nvidia Shield Pro for that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

I mentally class them in the same category as DAT tapes.

Wiki says the longer ones had something like 50gb of storage space on them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m not sure what your goal is with the CDs.

My overall goal was to have a room where myself, wife, guests, grown kids, hopefully grandkids not to long away, etc. can come to a room where- yes, I also have a home office there- but also-

There is a huge bar and mini-fridge, a six seat table and cabinet of board games, a drawing/drafting table, 200sf of bookshelves with books, a couple of old iPads with even more books, half a dozen reclining / cup holder searing, a large 4K TV, streaming, 100s of DVDs/Blurays.  And while I don’t have a laser disc also VHS and UMD playing.

And while I don’t have Atari, Colecovision, SES, Sega Genesis, Cube, etc. their old PS3 and PS4 are there and the Sony game subscription is kept active.  Plus two arcade cabinets.  

Records, 8 tracks, cassettes, CDs, and IPods, and I guess IPhones can all be played.

All sound from the TV and the music devices goes into an Amp then to some floor speakers.
This means that no matter the source of the sound- be it HDMI, optic, etc. it all ends up going into an an Amp via analog.

I think it sounds great- and like it better than the surround sound in our main TV/living room.
View Quote

Relevant to my recent endeavors, and can relate. Discovered WiiM streaming for music, and through my existing Amazon music account have discovered beautiful house filling, shake the walls sound again.  CD quality, and I think better sound via streaming. Ditched the too convenient soundbar, and home theater setup, and dusted off an older receiver with a set of cheap (because lightly used) floor standing speakers and sub. The blu ray player options in this thread will be my next add.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top