Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2024 4:56:31 PM EDT
I just jumped into micro four-thirds, partly because my photography had gotten stale and felt work with no energy in it.
I got an Olympus EM-1ii and  PEN-F to play with.
I have to say, it has brought some joy back to the viewfinder, although I doubt that's intrinsic to the system.
Anyone else shoot M43?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have a couple of Olympus micro 4/3s but I am now using a Panasonic Lumix G9.  What do you want to know?

In general micro 4/3 are pretty good advanced amateur cameras, especially for travel photography.  You can get a lot of focal length in a really small package but you pay for it in reduced low light performance.  For me it is worth the tradeoff of being able to pack a camera and the equivalent of a 600 mm focal length lens into my carry on bag and still get to take clothes.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I started out with u4/3rds mostly for using adapted lenses. The Rona plandemic somehow got me off of photography. Have a trip upcoming and hope to get back into it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just seeing if I'm all alone here, and obviously I'm not!
I really like some of the settings that these cameras offer. Especially the customizable ART modes.
The Pen F is so small and light that with a small lens it makes a great casual pocket carry camera.
Even the big lenses in M43 are not large compared to my Canon lenses.
After reaching my golden years (as my son calls it) its nice to be able to carry smaller and lighter.
Lumix is an often praised system.
I'm just enjoying my new-found camera adventure, and want to hear about other folks' experiences.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#4]
For some additional detail, I went from Olympus m4/3 to Panasonic when it became clear Panasonic was more committed to the system.

My normal travel setup is a mid-sized lumbar pack but one still small enough it goes under the seat on the airplane without crowding my feet.  If I have any opportunity for photography on a trip it goes with me.

I can get my G9 body, an older small Olympus backup body, 75-300mm lens, 20 mm prime, ultrawide zoom and the kit mid-zoom lens into the main pocket of the bag.  That gives me everything from 18mm to 600mm equivalent focal length.   In the outer pocket I have 4 batteries, charger and a few filters.  It is a nice compact setup for general travel photography that will let you do landscapes and reach out for wildlife at a 600mm equivalent focal length which isn't always as much as I would like but I haven't been willing to shell out the bucks for the 100-400mm Panasonic zoom to get up to 800mm equivalent.  

Of course you are trading a lot of light gathering for the compact setup so it helps if it is fairly bright out or the critters are not moving too quickly.

Overall I have been really pleased with the system.  It isn't going to compete with the semi-pro crowds big (and exponentially more expensive) Nikon and Canon setups but I can go anywhere with it with zero hassle and has resulted in a lot of wall hangers over the time I have used it.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup.  Panasonic G7 here
I have an Oly 9mm fisheye, then everything else is Panasonic: 14mm, 25mm 1.7, 45-150, 100-300.  It's all the budget glass, but I run everything thing through DxO and it does a good job post-process.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to and it was great, I moved to full frame but plan on jumping back to m43, I need something smaller and handier.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a full suite of Canon cameras and bodies. Added an M5 mirrorless for travel, but was unhappy with its performance and results.
I have only Olympus bodies (all used via KEH) plus several Oly zoom pro lenses, a Sigma 60mm. So far I like how they perform. Images are no worse than what I get with my Canons.
Unfortunately as I've aged, vision problems have hampered my sight such that I cannot do any manual focus work. So I'm dependant on the auto systems. I'm liking the Olympus in M43. No doubt the new Panasonics are the top performer. It will be interesting to see what the new Oly Pen does.
For street photography my older model Pen is hard to beat.
Carrying any of the Canons always draws a lot of unwanted attention.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#8]
My daughter shoots with an OM E-M10 Mark IV.  She loves the size as we go hiking and she does not want a big kit to carry on her back.  Her photos turn out really nice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried using a metabones adapter?
I got one - Canon EF to M43 and can't seem to operate it. Everything mounts up, but the lens doesn't focus.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k that uses M4/3 lenses. I have the Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm and 3 of the Sirui M4/3 anamorphic lenses, the 24mm, 35mm, and 75mm.

Those Sirui lenses are actually why I bought the camera in the first place. I love them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhatsGnu] [#11]
I saw the Sirui lenses, but saw that several people gave them bad reviews.
So I avoided them.
Anything I should know about them?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a GH5 and a bunch of lenses.  I do have the complete set of Sirui Anamorphics and I have no issues with them. I love the size of the lenses for M43 and the almost infinite adaptability of old lenses.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
I got one - Canon EF to M43 and can't seem to operate it. Everything mounts up, but the lens doesn't focus.
View Quote

I have an adapter to use my old Minolta 35mm lenses.  Specifically my mid-90s Made in Japan 50mm Macro.  YOu do have to put the camera in a special full manual mode, and I think electric shutter off.  It's been a while.  I wasn't terribly impressed with the photos, they seems to lack some sharpness.  Could be that the old lenses are just that dirty, they've been sitting in a bag for 30ish years.  And it could be me not being as sharp on manual exposures as I used to be (and my bifocal needing eyes probably don't help on focusing!)  But, the adapter was like 30 bucks on amazon, so it's worth having around.  

But long story short, there's a couple options buried in the menus you have to enable/disable for the old lenses.

(Apologies if I have mis-undertsood your question)
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:

I have an adapter to use my old Minolta 35mm lenses.  Specifically my mid-90s Made in Japan 50mm Macro.  YOu do have to put the camera in a special full manual mode, and I think electric shutter off.  It's been a while.  I wasn't terribly impressed with the photos, they seems to lack some sharpness.  Could be that the old lenses are just that dirty, they've been sitting in a bag for 30ish years.  And it could be me not being as sharp on manual exposures as I used to be (and my bifocal needing eyes probably don't help on focusing!)  But, the adapter was like 30 bucks on amazon, so it's worth having around.  

But long story short, there's a couple options buried in the menus you have to enable/disable for the old lenses.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think you answered my question. I know that among the options are to "tell" the camera what lens it is, but I don't see that affecting anything except Metadata in the image produced.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw the Sirui lenses, but saw that several people gave them bad reviews.
So I avoided them.
Anything I should know about them?
View Quote

The Sirui lenses are cinema lenses, meant mostly for video and film work. They have some new lenses that are not anamorphic now, but they made their name as the first maker of actual affordable anamorphic lenses that were originally around $1200. Traditional anamorphic lenses are in the $20,000-40,000 range. These are the lenses used on big budget Hollywood films. And are mich larger and heavier than other lenses in the photography and small video market.

Sirui was the first company to offer they capability to the home filmmaker, budget, and independent film makers and student film makers as well as content creators.

There are a few other makers now that are offering anamorphic lenses in the same price bracket. But they all have similar performance. At this budget level and in this size format, there are certain compromises that have to be made for image quality. But overall they are a great value if you want that look.

The one Sirui anamorphic lense that I don't have in M4/3 is the 50mm. That was their first lens, and the color is a bit off from their later offerings and it doesn't match the image of the 24, 35, and 75mm lenses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARinKCMO] [#16]

I think you answered my question. I know that among the options are to "tell" the camera what lens it is, but I don't see that affecting anything except Metadata in the image produced.
View Quote

Right, they have no electronics in them, and even if they did, like maybe some early DSLR lenses, they probably still can't talk to the camera body.  (Well, maybe there are some super expensive adapter rings that will do that)

I had to go grab my G7 and look through the menus and there is a 'Shoot Without Lens' option.  Turn that on, and the shutter will fire with no lens at all.  So that's the option, at least on the G7.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Right, they have no electronics in them, and even if they did, like maybe some early DSLR lenses, they probably still can't talk to the camera body.  (Well, maybe there are some super expensive adapter rings that will do that)

I had to go grab my G7 and look through the menus and there is a 'Shoot Without Lens' option.  Turn that on, and the shutter will fire with no lens at all.  So that's the option, at least on the G7.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My G9 as well as at least one of my Olympus m4/3 (not sure about the Pen) will let you use whatever lens you can find an adapter to match it to the body as long as you use it in full manual mode.  I bought a few cheap adapters to attach my old Minolta 35mm film camera lenses and they worked but they were more of a novelty than anything else.

Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

My G9 as well as at least one of my Olympus m4/3 (not sure about the Pen) will let you use whatever lens you can find an adapter to match it to the body as long as you use it in full manual mode.  I bought a few cheap adapters to attach my old Minolta 35mm film camera lenses and they worked but they were more of a novelty than anything else.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaxShooter] [#19]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
I have the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k that uses M4/3 lenses. I have the Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm and 3 of the Sirui M4/3 anamorphic lenses, the 24mm, 35mm, and 75mm.

Those Sirui lenses are actually why I bought the camera in the first place. I love them.
View Quote
Same here. I use the Sirui 35 on my BMPCC4K. I also like the Meike cine lenses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My Canon Powershot G7. I don't carry it around anymore because it's a brick compared to my Ricoh GR III.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
My Canon Powershot G7. I don't carry it around anymore because it's a brick compared to my Ricoh GR III.
View Quote

None of the Canon Powershots I have (G15, SD360 SD770) come close to an slr or mirrorless... even the M5 outshines them.
the Pen F with a 17mm f1.8 lens makes a much better image.
The EM1 is better still.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top