Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 8:44:18 AM EDT

Doesn't need to be too fancy.  Just needs to be able to securely mount a rifle in it and pop predators.

I've seen some ridiculous prices.  I'm hoping to stay under $250 if possible.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a thread on this the last week or two..

https://neewer.com/collections/super-sale/products/neewer-tp23-all-in-1-travel-tripod-monopod-66602043

I got mine in last week or the week before and I think I like it better than my BOG DeathGrip thing I got from Cabelas on sale....much lighter for sure at the very least.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Sold out!

Ya'll bought them all!  Hahaha.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:03:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lone_Gringo] [#3]
I got on that deal before they sold out. Good tripod.

Here is a bog death grip tripod on sale at midway. It's heavy but sturdy. Under 140 bucks. Free shipping.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026686468
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I see bogpod death grips used on FB from time to time.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you need the latest/greatest. A used $100 bogpod is still an excellent option.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the innorel ct-75 or ct-85 on Amazon.

Good tripods, you can usually find them with a head for under $200.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lone_Gringo:

Here is a bog death grip tripod on sale at midway. It's heavy but sturdy. Under 140 bucks. Free shipping.

View Quote

I forgot about Bog.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, here is one of the tripods shown in that first link in stock for 188 bucks....

https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Travel-Monopod-Creative-Assemblies/dp/B0BXXDM9RY
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, here is one of the tripods shown in that first link in stock for 188 bucks....

https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-Travel-Monopod-Creative-Assemblies/dp/B0BXXDM9RY
View Quote

Thanks.  I think I'm going with the Bog linked above.  That will fit my needs pretty good.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Never used a trip when shooting, the most I have used is a bipod connected to the weapon.

What is the purpose of hauling a tripod out to where ever you shoot? Are you always gonna have the tripod?

What ever happened to train the way you fight and fight the way you train?

Genuinely curious...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Vaquero45:

Thanks.  I think I'm going with the Bog linked above.  That will fit my needs pretty good.

View Quote

Bogs work well. Nothing bad to say about them.

I've followed AKSnowrider's rec on tripods and have been utterly blown away. Great pieces of gear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wolfdentd:
Never used a trip when shooting, the most I have used is a bipod connected to the weapon.

What is the purpose of hauling a tripod out to where ever you shoot? Are you always gonna have the tripod?

Genuinely curious...
View Quote

Not every shooting situation is a combat situation. Tripods are excellent for hunting and PRS, or any other scenario where you can’t go prone or use another sturdy object for a rest. And for what it’s worth, tripods are used by military and law enforcement nowadays too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Not every shooting situation is a combat situation. Tripods are excellent for hunting and PRS, or any other scenario where you can’t go prone or use another sturdy object for a rest. And for what it’s worth, tripods are used by military and law enforcement nowadays too.
View Quote

I was going to say that our snipers used tripods on occasion in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Genuinely curious...
View Quote

They make a lot of sense when you are hunting in a scenario will you will be moving a lot and you will need to shoot standing up. Predator hunting at night in tall summer pastures is a prime example. Also, there are a lot of places in the western United States where shooting from a bipod is difficult because the brush is so tall.

Tripods are steadier than bipods, if you can handle the extra weight. And honestly, over the years I have moved away from complaining about what good equipment weighs, and just training myself to be able to better handle that weight. It’s a far better option in all honesty.

I grew up predator hunting with a 25” Harris bipod. The tripods are undoubtedly superior.

Having said that, I’d always prefer shooting prone from a bipod to standing behind a tripod, if possible. And yes, you should train to take advantage of EVERY available option in the field to make the best shots you can make. I hammer this into my kids. I practice it myself.

Tripods are tools, and darned good ones, but do not replace the fundamental ideas you appeal to. They just supplement.

Earlier this week a coyote trotted across my yard, about 225 yards from my front door. I did not have time to deploy a bipod or tripod-equipped rifle. All I had time to do a was grab the nearest loaded rifle, try to prop myself (standing) against the door frame of the house, and pull the trigger. It was sufficient.

I say that to say that a) I fully affirm the mindset you appeal to with your questions, but b) the tripod is a very good tool to add to the collection. You just have to learn when/how to use it without letting it or any other tool become a crutch.

In 2020 dad and I got a double on cow elk at 260 and 387 yards using a bogpod in tall brush. I could have shot prone. My dad, maybe not.

Last fall dad got a nice bull elk at 280 yards with a bogpod. He’s simply beyond the age now to shoot prone. The bogpod makes 100% sense for him. Or my 12 year old in the picture I posted earlier.

It’s just a tool, and a very good one.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Genuinely curious...
View Quote

Thia ain't for combat.  

It's for shooting predators from a steady position in my backyard.

It will likely be set up right beside my garage door.  So I won't be hauling it very far.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a Bog Death grip and for $140 it will get the job done, but there are a lot better options.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought the Bog carbon deathgrip and love it. I thought I would hate shooting off a tripod, but needed one for shooting rats in the backyard. freehand wasn't working and couldn't shoot off the ground as too many obstacles. Fell in love with it, it was a total game changer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:56:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#17]
Nvm, out of budget range and not great for standing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I love my BOG DeathGrip. Works great!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I need one for the range, maybe hunting if I like it.

The steel goes way up there, you have to kneel to use bags.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Sold out!

Ya'll bought them all!  Hahaha.

View Quote

B&H has you covered
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By macman37:

B&H has you covered
View Quote

Is that one good for shooting off of? It's considerably cheaper than the others people recommend like the BOG Deathgrip.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Really happy with my Innorel
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macman37] [#23]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Is that one good for shooting off of? It's considerably cheaper than the others people recommend like the BOG Deathgrip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

B&H has you covered

Good question… here’s one that will hold 26lbs though. Costs a bit more.

Carbon fiber version

Edit: if you find the one from the other thread, and it’s sold out, search for it on B&H.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#24]

Good question… here’s one that will hold 26lbs though. Costs a bit more.

Carbon fiber version
View Quote

Interesting. I've been going back and forth for the last 4 weeks on whether I should get a tripod like the BOG Deathgrip, since I don't shoot rifles from tripods often (like a few times in the last 5 years). I want to get into more hunting and pigs are real easy to get into in my area. I also have a few ranges I can shoot from a tripod with.

I was planning on the BOG Deathgrip, if I decided, from PA since they're a 2-3 day ship away. PA Link (Sold Out Currently)

ETA: Yeah I saw that one. A little out of what I want to spend. I'm trying to keep any I'm looking at to under $150 before shipping and tax.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Doesn't need to be too fancy.  Just needs to be able to securely mount a rifle in it and pop predators.

I've seen some ridiculous prices.  I'm hoping to stay under $250 if possible.

View Quote

$25 camera tripod from Amazon.

I made a 4"x6" platform thing that attaches to the top, 'bag of navy beans makes a sturdy rest

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sdc360] [#26]
Bog pods are good to go, I also picked up an Armageddon gear Chinese cheater bag when I started shooting 22 prs. Great piece of kit for hunting… only weighs a couple of ounces, straps to your rifle so you don’t have to hold it and makes any fence post, car window or tree limb into a solid rest.

It’s found a home on my grab and go yard critter rifle.

https://utahairguns.com/product/armageddon-gear-chinese-cheater-bag/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sdc360:
Bog pods are good to go, I also picked up an Armageddon gear Chinese cheater bag when I started shooting 22 prs. Great piece of kit for hunting… only weighs a couple of ounces, straps to your rifle so you don’t have to hold it and makes any fence post, car window or tree limb into a solid rest.

It’s found a home on my grab and go yard critter rifle.

https://utahairguns.com/product/armageddon-gear-chinese-cheater-bag/
View Quote

I have the Armageddon Shmedium Game Changer and it's a real nice bag.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#28]
I have a Bog that I upgraded to a ballhead.

Hopefully people realize the Bog Pod isnt a ballhead and compare apples to apples.

Here is a link to upgrade for those that need it.
I’m very happy with mine.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bog-deathgrip-tripod-ball-head-kit.7108353/
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Lots of options out there on tripods.  BOGs work but the head sucks.

Tripod 101: Which shooting or hunting tripod is right for you?

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#30]

View Quote

The BOG Deathgrip doesn’t have a ball head and is much harder to use in active hunting situations, and wouldn’t readily adapt to use with optics.

It’s also pretty big and heavy to carry on your pack.

It is stout as hell though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
I have a Bog that I upgraded to a ballhead.

Hopefully people realize the Bog Pod isnt a ballhead and compare apples to apples.

Here is a link to upgrade for those that need it.
I'm very happy with mine.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/bog-deathgrip-tripod-ball-head-kit.7108353/
View Quote

"ARFCOM" code gets a discount on these

BOG Ball Head Conversion
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

"ARFCOM" code gets a discount on these

BOG Ball Head Conversion
View Quote

That doesn’t include a ball head or an ARCA adaptor, correct?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

That doesn't include a ball head or an ARCA adaptor, correct?
View Quote

Thats just the adapter, but there's a couple options to add a ball head.  Also accepts any 3/8"-16 mount ball head out there.

ARCA rail for the factory BOG saddle is separate, most guys want to get rid of it completely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Thats just the adapter, but there's a couple options to add a ball head.  Also accepts any 3/8"-16 mount ball head out there.

ARCA rail for the factory BOG saddle is separate, most guys want to get rid of it completely.
View Quote

I have a BOG Deathgrip. By the time you convert it to a ball head/arca, you could’ve just bought a different tripod for the same money. Just buy another tripod and keep the BOG for traditional stocked rifles with no rail.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

I have a BOG Deathgrip. By the time you convert it to a ball head/arca, you could've just bought a different tripod for the same money. Just buy another tripod and keep the BOG for traditional stocked rifles with no rail.
View Quote

Definitely!  Most guys want to throw a ball head on the BOG and be done.  If you're looking at buying a BOG and want to put a ball head on it you're much better off buying a different tripod from the get go and will get a lot more for your money.

Slik tripods are good for their price point and take a ball head.  By the time you add a ball head you'll be a little over the DeathGrip price point but have a much better setup than a DeathGrip.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#36]
$12 thrift store Manfrotto?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Definitely!  Most guys want to throw a ball head on the BOG and be done.  If you're looking at buying a BOG and want to put a ball head on it you're much better off buying a different tripod from the get go and will get a lot more for your money.

Slik tripods are good for their price point and take a ball head.  By the time you add a ball head you'll be a little over the DeathGrip price point but have a much better setup than a DeathGrip.
View Quote

Damnit.  Didn’t realize the Bog didn’t have that.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Damnit.  Didn't realize the Bog didn't have that.

View Quote

Checkout the video I posted above.  Goes through some of the drawbacks of the BOG.

The BOG Infinite has a ball head but they're prone to breaking off the tabs where it clamps together onto the ball when you tighten it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top