Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Another Paul Howe miss (Page 1 of 4)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/6/2024 10:52:46 AM EDT
Why switching shoulders with a rifle is a bad idea with Paul Howe.

Geez; Paul is striking out a lot lately
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending who you train with, it has been like this for over a decade.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Having used a rifle in combat....thats bad advice.   Not switching shoulders puts WAY too mucb of your body into the open
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
Having used a rifle in combat....thats bad advice.   Not switching shoulders puts WAY too mucb of your body into the open
View Quote

we put a huge emphasis on this in rifle training at work.  In fact, 50% of our qual courses are support side shooting (100 yards and in).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Some instructors recommend rarely if ever switching, another btdt guy says only for special situations, another btdt recommends it often.  Paul is one of the btdt guys who recommends against it.  I suspect that more than 99% of people will never put in enough training time to make it work .  I'm with Paul on this.  

Paul completed missions and survived because of a 'keep it simple, do what works, no frills' philosophy.  I also suspect that extremely few commenters on this forum have even one one hundredth of Pauls experience.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve really only been in this situation once. This was back when we, or certainly I, received little training on the matter. Switching shoulders just seemed natural to me, and was what I did without thinking much about it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Some instructors recommend rarely if ever switching, another btdt guy says only for special situations, another btdt recommends it often.  Paul is one of the btdt guys who recommends against it.  I suspect that more than 99% of people will never put in enough training time to make it work .  I'm with Paul on this.  

Paul completed missions and survived because of a 'keep it simple, do what works, no frills' philosophy.  I also suspect that extremely few commenters on this forum have even one one hundredth of Pauls experience.
View Quote

Not a LEO hater but a retired SF SNCO's opinion carries a lot more weight than a badge.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Switching shoulders is flat out wrong in most cases.  

Nobody shoots as well from the weak side...nobody.  Your body position is almost always super wrong when transitioning and people constantly end up tangled in their sling/mag pouches/radio antenna.  People regularly fail to manipulate the controls correctly, fail to apply marksmanship fundamentals....

The "cover" you gain is generally not cover...its sheetrock and doors...you aren't actually gaining any cover.  

You can't see as well because you are hiding behind something like sheetrock that isn't actually protecting you...but you are depriving yourself of the ability to see what is about to kill you.  

It's just stupid in 99% of cases.  Yes, you should know how to do it and there are very specific circumstances where you need to do it...but its just wrong for most situations.  

Wear your plates...expose to the point where you can see and shoot...and handle threats by engaging them with the correct level of force, not hiding from them.  

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Interesting that people who ran the same missions as Paul, some even on the same days, saw the need in bilateral shooting and actively drilled it once they came back to the states.  It certainly has its benefits and refusing to learn it is short changing yourself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

Not a LEO hater but a retired SF SNCO's opinion carries a lot more weight than a badge.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-28-2023/PcQZdC.gif
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

Nobody shoots as well from the weak side...nobody.  Your body position is almost always super wrong when transitioning and people constantly end up tangled in their sling/mag pouches/radio antenna.  People regularly fail to manipulate the controls correctly, fail to apply marksmanship fundamentals....

The "cover" you gain is generally not cover...its sheetrock and doors...you aren't actually gaining any cover.  

You can't see as well because you are hiding behind something like sheetrock that isn't actually protecting you...but you are depriving yourself of the ability to see what is about to kill you.  

It's just stupid in 99% of cases.  Yes, you should know how to do it and there are very specific circumstances where you need to do it...but its just wrong for most situations.  

Wear your plates...expose to the point where you can see and shoot...and handle threats by engaging them with the correct level of force, not hiding from them.  

YMMV.
View Quote
^^^^this x1000
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]
lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Virtually all of that is addressed via training. Sling management isnt a big issue and can be resolved in numerous ways.

This doesnt really make sense. If it is a detriment using cover/concealment when the carbine is on your support side does that mean it also a detriment when the carbine is on your strong side?  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
While it is far from optimal when compared to strong side shooting I prefer to know how to shoot from my support side and be comfortable doing it if I ever feel the need to.

Taking a pistol class offhand only can be an ego bruising affair but I suggest that every serious student of self defense do so.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#14]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
I’ve really only been in this situation once. This was back when we, or certainly I, received little training on the matter. Switching shoulders just seemed natural to me, and was what I did without thinking much about it.
View Quote

I was in this situation ONCE.....I can't talk about it.....G14 classified......about the only think I can say is peeps were involved and penalties were assessed .....  

ETA...and I learned I needed to really practice this if I ever had to do it.....because currently I suck.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#15]
Is this another situation where you hear 5000 opinions and all of the opinioners believe only they are right.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
It takes a bit of practice but can work well.  Do it all the time in USPSA and IPSC PCC. Yes its not combat and no one is shooting back at me but it works well for shooting around barricades.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a podcast between Matt Pranka, Kyle Defoor and Mike Pannone talking about this but it's no longer IG.

Supposedly, it's very rarely done, according to those guys.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#18]
Mr. Howe has a lot of good info. I respect his opinion, to a degree. Lately he has come across as a very black and white person in a world of gray.

I've been taught and have practiced moving strong to weak and back again for a long time. Does it mean I will ALWAYS transition? No. Absolutely not. It's a tool for the tool box. His example of a hostage shot is a PRIME example of when it may not be the best idea.

This hard line opinion harks back to his weapon light opinion. There's bad instances where it isn't a good idea so it MUST be bad and not used ever. Come on! We are amazingly adaptable creatures who can learn various methods for various situations.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#19]

YMMV.
View Quote

Switching shoulders is not weak side
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You can even swap shoulders without removing your hand from the grip. It's awkward but much less awkward than taking a round to an exposed area that didn't have to be exposed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm fine with what he says.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By juan223:
While it is far from optimal when compared to strong side shooting I prefer to know how to shoot from my support side and be comfortable doing it if I ever feel the need to.

Taking a pistol class offhand only can be an ego bruising affair but I suggest that every serious student of self defense do so.
View Quote

Switching shoulders is not support side shooting
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
You can even swap shoulders without removing your hand from the grip. It's awkward but much less awkward than taking a round to an exposed area that didn't have to be exposed.
View Quote

That’s switching shoulders
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
All those Ken Hackashak and Paul Howe Wilson videos have been removed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#25]
As an observer of this debate the thing that sticks out to me is realistically how much time does the person have to train and how much of it should be spent on stuff that is less likely to occur instead of fundamentals and being able to place rounds accurately under pressure.

I live on and manage a range facility that we donate time on for several local PD's to train and qual. My observations of the average cop working with a rifle is that time working on switching shoulders is far down the list of things to spend time and resources on. No doubt that they should know how to do it on a basic level but I've yet to see any agency have the time to make someone good at it. The same thing applies to 95% of non LEO dudes I see working with a rifle. No doubt this varies by agency and location. I'm sure there are places out there with money and time to work on everything I just have not seen it personally.

As far as SOF dudes its funny because guys who come from the same place can say directly opposing things on this topic. The ones who make the most sense to me as an outsider are guys like Pranka but Bob Keller is a big proponent of switching shoulders so I figure it comes down to shooters choice at that level.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I shoot rifle either hand naturally.  Pistol feels odd, but can shoot left as well.

What does a right handed hunter up in a treestand do when a deer approaches from the right?  Do they have to contort their body position in order to take the shot?  Personally I shoot left handed in that scenario.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JCIN:
As an observer of this debate the thing that sticks out to me is realistically how much time does the person have to train and how much of it should be spent on stuff that is less likely to occur instead of fundamentals and being able to place rounds accurately under pressure.

I live on and manage a range facility that we donate time on for several local PD's to train and qual. My observations of the average cop working with a rifle is that time working on switching shoulders is far down the list of things to spend time and resources on. No doubt that they should know how to do it on a basic level but I've yet to see any agency have the time to make someone good at it. The same thing applies to 95% of non LEO dudes I see working with a rifle. No doubt this varies by agency and location. I'm sure there are places out there with money and time to work on everything I just have not seen it personally.

As far as SOF dudes it's funny because guys who come from the same place can say directly opposing things on this topic. The ones who make the most sense to me as an outsider are guys like Pranka but Bob Keller is a big proponent of switching shoulders so I figure it comes down to shooters choice at that level.
View Quote
Now that is a very accurate observation. Efforts, when you have limited time and resources, should be placed where needed most and this is LOW on the priority level.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been in a class where a nationally very well known instructor (teaching the class) was asked about it by a regionally well known instructor, who also adjuncts for a nationally well known training company, who was a student in the class.

I had taken a bunch of classes from the question asker so I knew what he taught and where he stood. The class instructor advised the complete opposite when he answered the question.

So who the fuck knows.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#29]
...extremely few commenters on this forum have even one one hundredth of Pauls experience.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

View Quote

And yet you knew exactly what I meant
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Much of GD does not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtlRz7CudKs

Geez; Paul is striking out a lot lately
View Quote

Back in the day when I was first being taken through shoothouses by operators and former operators they saw absolutely no value in switching shoulders. In fact, a relatively well known guy now said way back then that "they" found you'd have to have your strong arm darn near cut off before you'd consider working from the other shoulder.

It's funny watching how things have evolved.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Switching shoulders is in fact commonly called support side shooting since you are shooting off the support side of your body. Did the definition of it change at some point in the past 20 years?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: juan223] [#34]
Originally Posted By JCIN:

As far as SOF dudes its funny because guys who come from the same place can say directly opposing things on this topic. The ones who make the most sense to me as an outsider are guys like Pranka but Bob Keller is a big proponent of switching shoulders so I figure it comes down to shooters choice at that level.
View Quote

And that's because cops in the vast majority of departments don't train unless they're forced to by their department.  The cops that are on the firing line in most classes are either paying their own way or have found a way to get their department to pay for it.  

When a department mandates a class the questions usually revolve around  "whens lunch?"  and "when do we get out of here"

So yes,  the folks you're seeing, I'd wager the vast majority of them need to focus on the raw basics
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevenH] [#35]

Switching shoulders is in fact commonly called support side shooting since you are shooting off the support side of your body. Did the definition of it change at some point in the past 20 years?
View All Quotes

Support side is the same as weak side. Shooting as a lefty for most shooters.

“Switching shoulders” is still operating the controls with the strong hand. The only change is you’ve moved the stock to the other shoulder pocket.

It’s right there in the name. What are we switching? Shoulders..
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#36]

we put a huge emphasis on this in rifle training at work.  In fact, 50% of our qual courses are support side shooting (100 yards and in).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:

Since you spend so much time on “support side shooting”, I’ll assume every single officer in your dept can score 100% on the qual using strong side only, right?

Can you tell us what the hit percentage is of any officer involved shooting in your dept before and after to justify this training?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Is this another situation where you hear 5000 opinions and all of the opinioners believe only they are right.
View Quote

...and in truth, in the realm of fighting there can be more than one right answer.

A lot of it depends on the lens it is viewed from.

Someone who is proficient can learn to be nearly as effective running from the other shoulder with a long gun.

But how many people are proficient? How much time do you spend training to run from the other side? Does that take time and resources away from becoming proficient in the first place?

There are good arguments to be made about where you put time and resources to get a workable result. I can swap shoulders with a shotgun easily because I spend a fair bit of time running a shotgun from the left shoulder since I teach left handed people, too. I spend zero time in my introductory courses teaching people to run the shotgun from the opposite shoulder. In my most advanced course, I do...because mastery means you are able to run the gun effectively regardless of which hand it's in. Or, frankly, even if you've only got one working hand.

But the time we spend on that in the most advanced class would be counterproductive in the basic level classes. It's something I only put out there when we're training proficient people. I can't take someone who is struggling to be competent and teach them that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#38]
MOUT is one of those areas where many units and leaders have their own preferences on how to train for urban combat. As the old saying goes.... There's more than one way to skin a cat.

People get caught up on Dogma on this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Back in the day when I was first being taken through shoothouses by operators and former operators they saw absolutely no value in switching shoulders. In fact, a relatively well known guy now said way back then that "they" found you'd have to have your strong arm darn near cut off before you'd consider working from the other shoulder.

It's funny watching how things have evolved.
View Quote

I wouldn't advocate it in a "shoot house" room clearing situation either,  is that the specific situation Howe is talking about or is he a "never ever, so don't bother to learn how" kinda fella?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Support side is the same as weak side. Shooting as a lefty for most shooters.

“Switching shoulders” is still operating the controls with the strong hand. The only change is you’ve moved the stock to the other shoulder pocket.

It’s right there in the name. What are we switching? Shoulders..
View Quote

Switching shoulders while maintaining conventional hand placement is often called a hasty shoulder transition while switching shoulders and hands is called a dedicated transition.   It is still switching shoulders aka support side shooting though
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Magpul made it look so hawt
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#42]
That boomer needs to understand that war has changed and his experience is useless in the modern fight.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#43]

And that's because cops in the vast majority of departments don't train unless they're forced to by their department.  The cops that are on the firing line in most classes are either paying their own way or have found a way to get their department to pay for it.  

When a department mandates a class the questions usually revolve around  "whens lunch?"  and "when do we get out of here"

So yes,  the folks you're seeing, I'd wager the vast majority of them need to focus on the raw basics
View Quote

Which is kind of what the whole discussion boils down to for everyone not in a SOF unit or full time SWAT team.

We also host well known trainers so I see the cops who show up to those as well. On average about a third are what I would classify as decent shooters. The rest are what I consider beginner level shooters. D class in USPSA terms. A few are excellent and worked their ass off to get there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Exactly this.

I've seen patrol officers train on rifle.  They suck.  Bad.  Like Paul Howe says most patrol officers don't have enough training with their strong side... they certainly don't have spare time to develop their support side.

I train to a higher level that Paul Howe on carbine so yeah, I train support my side too... but I also do 60 yard headshot up drills in half a second, CSAT standards with Nightvision, and point shooting with a carbine, all kinds of other fun stuff that a lot of people will simply never do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#45]
But where does he stand on ceramic plates vs steel?  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Mr. Howe has a lot of good info. I respect his opinion, to a degree. Lately he has come across as a very black and white person in a world of gray.

I've been taught and have practiced moving strong to weak and back again for a long time. Does it mean I will ALWAYS transition? No. Absolutely not. It's a tool for the tool box. His example of a hostage shot is a PRIME example of when it may not be the best idea.

This hard line opinion harks back to his weapon light opinion. There's bad instances where it isn't a good idea so it MUST be bad and not used ever. Come on! We are amazingly adaptable creatures who can learn various methods for various situations.
View Quote

He also quit delta after Mogadishu because they weren't good enough for him. B
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Since you spend so much time on “support side shooting”, I’ll assume every single officer in your dept can score 100% on the qual using strong side only, right?

Can you tell us what the hit percentage is of any officer involved shooting in your dept before and after to justify this training?
View Quote

It is easily justified through maximizing the use of cover and available support for lower percentage shots a rifle officer might take.   Only a moron would advocate exposing more of a shooter's body because they were too lazy to train to push the gun to the other side of their body.  

We take dudes and having them shooting 90+ on our qual courses (100 yards and in; day and night) where each position is shot strong and support side.  It gives the officers way more confidence to handle situations they might find themselves in since they know they can shoot the gun from either side of their body.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]

I wouldn't advocate it in a "shoot house" room clearing situation either,  is that the specific situation Howe is talking about or is he a "never ever, so don't bother to learn how" kinda fella?
View Quote

Id make use of switching shoulders in a structure as well depending on what we were doing.  

Paul, ime, is pretty much one way or no way.   When I trained with him he wasnt an advocate of shooting on the move either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

People want to look like ninjas on the range. But what makes guys "high speed" is mastery of basics/fundamentals.

My unit did switching shoulders thing, but I can see the arguments against it. Especially if people aren't putting in the work to be good at shooting with their support hand side.

Like I said in an above post. MOUT is a place where people have different philosophies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Another Paul Howe miss (Page 1 of 4)
Top Top